Musings And Thoughts On This Journey

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Postby raederle » February 23rd, 2005, 2:23 pm

Nancy wrote:rae ~ welcome back. How was LV?

It was awesome! I gambled, I ate, I drank, I worked out, I walked, I saw white tigers... and then I came back to VA, binged on Chinese food til I was nearly sick, and this morning returned gratefully to MF wondering what the heck happened. (For sordid details, see the thread "Here we go..." here in the Weight Room!)

Because I've read that traveling can wreak havoc on fluid levels, I'm gonna stay off the scale til Sunday roll call, though I'm back on MF 100% as of this morning. Then we'll assess the damage. Keep fingers crossed...!

Looks like the gang is all pluggin' along here-- it's good to see new faces and to see that the "old" faces are sticking to it and posting here to help others out... I really love this place. Thanks to everyone for "waiting up for me" here! It's good to be home!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby itsgonnaworkthistime » February 23rd, 2005, 3:03 pm

Hey Rae,

Welcome back.
I was wondering how the stomach issues were when eating the non-MF food? I have to travel for business on Sun, Mon & Tues this week and want to bring my food with, but know that they will be also taking us out for meals. Just curious if you had issues or not!!!

I then leave on my cruise on Sun the 6th, and hadn't wanted to start to transition quite this soon, but may have to because of the business trip.

thanks

Maura
Start Date: 1/2/2007
itsgonnaworkthistime
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby dlr2424 » February 23rd, 2005, 3:06 pm

Nancy....I'm laughing out loud!!!!! I never heard the expression "Aunt Flo"
that is hysterical.
Well anyway....I have to say....I'm a tiny tiny bit discouraged...First week...5.5lbs lost and second week...2lbs. I'm reading "Shaker in a Jar" so I'm not focusing on it, however, I have been 100% compliant. I lose weight at the pace of a turtle. And I'm even doing the full fast and drinking 100 ozs. of water a day. Possibly could it be because I haven't started exercising yet? And if the 5 & 1 plan is 5 supplements and 1 lean and green is the full fast 5 or 6 supplements with NO lean & green? I was told 5 is fine but if your hungry have 6. Is not having the 6th one to my advantage or is it a disadvantage in my weight loss ?.....Thanks for listening....Donna

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424

Postby Nancy » February 23rd, 2005, 7:43 pm

Donna ~

7 Pounds in 14 days is .5 pounds per day; 3.5 pounds per week - pretty good! AVERAGE weight loss is 2-5 pounds per week. You are average...but in my book, you'll always be exceptional.

Now let's blab about the Full Fast - seeing your doctor, right? No major health issues, right?

If you are inactive, I'd go with 5 meals, if you are active, chasing kids, work outside the home, have long days, go with 6 meals.

You read the book, eh? Then what does it say about exercise?

If you have not been exercising, don't even think about it for two more weeks. If you have been exercising before Medifast. don't even think about doing your 'usual' routine - cut it in half, go slowly.

When a person is not Medifasting, our body uses ready carbs for its energy source - bread, potatoes, cookies, fruit. When we are Medifasting, it takes the body several weeks to fully convert stored flabbage into energy. You wanna jeopardize your muscles, your body, and slow down the weight loss process? Then start exercising like a crazed woman.

Maura, you can stay on program and have a Lean and Green when you go out. You could even have two small Lean and Greens a day and not do major damage to your program. No bread, no alcohol, etc.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby raederle » February 23rd, 2005, 7:58 pm

itsgonnaworkthistime wrote:I was wondering how the stomach issues were when eating the non-MF food?

Hi Maura! The ironic thing is that my husband, who is not MFing and if anything struggles to gain weight, had terrible stomach issues-- he got food poisoning from some oysters and was in complete misery for 8 hours!

I did okay until I had one very rich dinner, on my third night. I had 2 pieces of bread with butter, a bowl of creamy sweet potato soup, and a *very* generously-sized entree of seared scallops with a huge mound of black truffle & parmesan risotto. Oh, and I shouldn't forget to mention the chocolate fondant for dessert, which I finished singlehandedly! Everything was delish, of course, but I ate *way* too much of it; I was feeling *really* full-- uncomfortably so-- as soon as we were done and walking out of the restaurant. We were so full we went straight back to bed and crashed. In about 4 hours, I woke up with an urgent need to use the loo. I did, and it was pretty unpleasant, but then I was fine. I really think I just way overdid it, though. If I'd eaten the same food but had half the quantity, I think I'd have been okay. Or if I'd ordered something with less dramatic amounts of butter and sugar, perhaps?!?!

Other than that one night, I was fine. I spent the five preceeding days having a few extra calories for my lunch (MF soup, MF crackers, plus a plain FF yogurt) and for dinner (I'd have an extra cup of cooked veggies, then later I also added a serving of some 70-calorie, low-carb pasta). I only added about 200 total calories to my total daily intake, but the extra food volume helped prepare me pretty well, I think.

I really think you'll be okay if you take a few days to add in some high-protein, high-fiber (but low-cal) foods to your MF regimen, and then ease into the "real" food slowly, without going straight for the high-fat stuff right away when you're off plan. E.g., I had an MF shake at 7, brunch of 2 poached eggs and 2 slices of whole wheat toast, late lunch of salad plus protein, dinner of mostly fish with some veggies and bread, and a bar later if I got hungry. This seemed to work fine. (100% compliant, no! But it didn't make me sick.) Honestly, I betcha I would have had the same stomach issues after cramming in all that food that one night, whether I had been on MF or not!

I think if you try and have some poached eggs, dressingless chicken caesar salads, and lots of steamed veggies with your dinners while on your biz trip (essentially, lean & greens, like Nancy said) when you can't do MF or want to try adding in some foods, you'll be okay if you make sure your portions are small so as not to shock the system! Being "off" MF for a few extra days may not be ideal and it may mean having a pound or two more to lose later, but you won't be alone! I'll be here! And at least it will help avoid a miserable day or night in the loo while on your cruise... My opinion, anyway!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby 24KaratGold » February 23rd, 2005, 8:53 pm

Welcome home Rae! I saw your post on the other thread about what a great time you had, and also about how some of your old bad eating habits resurfaced. Bummer that, but the impressive thing is the way you didn't let it "get" to you; instead you got right back on the program. I think that's going to be a lifesaver at maintenance, just as long as it happens immediately. Was it warm in Vegas, or were they getting the same yucky weather we're getting here? It's only about a four and a half hour drive, and I could use some sun and heat...
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby smartiegrrl » February 23rd, 2005, 8:55 pm

Welcome back Rae. Glad you had a fun trip!
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby raederle » February 24th, 2005, 6:35 am

Thanks, guys! The weather was pretty yucky most of the time (58 and rainy), but we did get one glorious day of 65-degree, sunny weather. (Of course, it's always 70 and sunny at the blackjack tables...!) ;)

You're right, 24K, that I suppose I oughta be proud of myself for getting right back on the horse. Even if I haven't yet learned to completely get past the unexplained binge eating I'm wont to do, at least I've learned that MF is a safe harbor for me that I can return to again and again when things get nutty.

Speaking of which, gotta go grab my dutch choc shake and slurp away...!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby 24KaratGold » February 24th, 2005, 11:04 am

My latest Medifast order arrived yesterday. I was impressed, given that I had placed the order online Saturday night, and Monday was a holiday!

I had the chocolate pudding for my last meal last night -- yummy! I was too impatient to put it in the fridge and let it set for 15-20, though, so I just ate it as it was. I did mix a package of Sweet 'n' Low into it after my first taste, though, cause I wanted it just a bit sweeter.

I really like that when I order through this site I can get samples of different things to try. I ordered a whole bunch of samples, one each of the teas and the chai latte and a few other things. I can't wait to try them all!

I'm wearing my favorite brown suede pants today. They are too big, I can tell. I think this is the last wearing of them, which is a shame because they are in great shape still. What a shame, huh? ;)
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby raederle » February 24th, 2005, 11:39 am

What a shame indeed--- too thin for your britches! :mrgreen: I'm so happy for you, but sad for those pants-- they may never see you again... ;)
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby 24KaratGold » February 24th, 2005, 3:19 pm

Argh! I'm hungry. And I've already had my "three by two o'clock" supplements, and it's only 2:17 here. I had my fruit n nut granola bar at a few minutes before 1:00, because I was hungry, and I'm hungry already. This is unusual for me; I suppose the whole Aunt Flo thing has something to do with it.

I'm at the office, so I don't have pickles or celery here. The best I could do would be to have another shake. I will if I have to, but I'm going to try to wait it out until at least 3:30. If I can't, well, better a shake than walking across the street to the deli....
24KaratGold

Postby dlr2424 » February 24th, 2005, 3:40 pm

Nancy,

Thanks for the feedback and yes I am healthy and seeing a doctor. ( well other than 30-40 lbs overweight I'm healthy..lol). I will gladly hold off on exercise. I am 45...(that age doesn't register in my mind)...fairly active...23 years married...a mother of 2 teenage girls: Kelley 14 1/2 and Katelyn just turning 17. Aahh 17....Interesting age or shall I say challenging age? My husband who has always been healthy contacted a virus 13 years ago which settled in his heart...leading him to a heart transplant 6 years ago at the age of 40. I sometimes wonder which was more challenging : going thru a transplant or the teenage years of my 17 yr old..lol just kidding. Anyway, I was wondering if the Coronary Health or the Joint Health could be of benefit for him. Being on many immunosuppressants leaves him feeling like dogdoo.
Donna

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424

Postby Nancy » February 24th, 2005, 3:40 pm

24 Karat ~

Have a big slug of warm water - it can sometimes put off eating for a while. Your bar can be "reactivated" with some warm water!

Maybe your pants can be taken in - but wait for a while - they will need to be radically taken in very soon or sell them at a resale shop! Trade them in for something teensier.
Last edited by Nancy on February 25th, 2005, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby 24KaratGold » February 24th, 2005, 3:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Nancy. I just went and made myself a big mug of tea, and put one of those little pre-fabbed containers of half and half in it (I used to drink my tea plain until I discovered the joy of cream in it when I was in Scotland last year). Just the tiniest bit, mind, but enough to make me think I'm having a treat. This should do it.

Oh, and when I was in Nordie's last week they told me to bring those two suits that I bought there last October in and the tailor can alter them for me. Yay! Thanks for making the suggestion earlier; I don't know that I would have thought to do that.
24KaratGold

Postby Nancy » February 25th, 2005, 12:04 am

Yippy! How cool to be able to wear those lovely suits!

Have you tried the Stash Creme Caramel decaf tea? It is really good with one of those teensy half and half vials.

Let us know how the interview goes on Friday.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

PreviousNext

Return to The Weight Room