Musings And Thoughts On This Journey

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Musings And Thoughts On This Journey

Postby 24KaratGold » January 14th, 2005, 11:00 am

Today is Day 12 for me, on the 5 and 1.

Monday I deliberately skipped a work lunch party (we didn't get a chance to have everybody together to go out for the holidays, so we scheduled it for this past Monday), because they were going to a Mexican food restaurant, and I LOVE Mexican food. I didn't think I'd be able to stay on plan if I went. No regrets; I held down the fort at the office and got a lot done with others gone.

Last night was my first "eating out" challenge. I got a phone call Wednesday from a cousin of mine from New York whom I haven't seen in years. She and her husband were going to be passing through, and could we get together, maybe have dinner?

So we went out last night. Normally, out to dinner, I'd be loading up on the bread beforehand, have at least one (maybe two!) glasses of wine, certainly have the potato or rice, and load the salad with a creamy dressing. No guarantees on what the main course might be either. I love prime rib with horseradish sauce, or pasta, or . . . well, you get the idea.

First, I had a shake at about 5:30. (I had thought we were going out to dinner around 6 or 6:30; in fact it was an hour after that because my cousin had a small car accident coming over to my place and got held up exchanging information.) So I wasn't really, really hungry.

Instead of wine, iced tea, and extra water.

Green salad with tomatos and cucumbers, with balsamic vinegar for a dressing.

Cajun spiced salmon, grilled (and I ate half of it and brought the other half home for dinner tonight).

I might have cheated by eating the zucchini in addition to my salad (I love it. Who ever heard of "cheating" on a diet by eating steamed zucchini?? LOL)

That was it. Nothing so "diety" as to draw attention, everything was good, and I was satisfied. In fact, I was so full that I ended up missing my fifth MF supplement last night, because between the time we got home from the restaurant (around 9) and bedtime I simply couldn't bear the thought of any more food, even a shake; I was "too full."

The best part? I got on the scale last night before I went to bed (I wish I had the strength to weigh just once a week, but there is something to what someone else said here about daily accountability too, I'm discovering), and then again this morning, just to see. This morning's weight was down one pound from last night's weight!

So I successfully made it through my first "meal out" staying on plan (except for the extra zucchini), no adverse weight effects!

Woot!

I tend to eat out a lot, for social and business reasons, and so this just made my whole week, I think.

Lord, I'm glad I found this program! And you know what's so funny? I found Medifast because my best girlfriend had a car accident not quite a year ago, one bad enough to total her car. She injured her legs and her knee in that accident. She weighed 300 pounds, and she finally had to take the weight off in order to let the knee heal. She started MF in late August, and as of Christmas had lost 70 pounds, and she looks GOOD! (I'll see her tomorrow and see how much better she looks now even than since Christmas.) I was so impressed with how it was working for her, and how fast, that I decided to give it a try. Here's that silver lining for both of us from that awful accident.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby MamaD » January 14th, 2005, 12:28 pm

:-P :-P :-P
Good for you!!! What a victory!! when one can be strong with all those around you are pigging out!! Good Job!

I had a unique experience today... they were having some kind of award party for some kids today...and I got to house 45 pizzas in the library till it was parry time..

'nuff said???????????????????????? :roll: :roll:
MamaD
Trusted Member

Postby Karen » January 14th, 2005, 1:11 pm

ooooh mamma.... there is no way this side of heaven I could have been in a room with one pizza, much less 45 of them, without having some. (and not just one slice). You have my full admiration!!! I hope some day to get to the point where I can be around pizza (or brownies) and be able to resist. I am NOT there yet, not even close.

And 24k... thanks for that particular post. My hubby and I used to dine out 2-3 times a week. We have not been out to eat in the 9 weeks I've been on program. I am working on my resolve. Hopefully I will feel confident enough to go to the dinner theater with my Sunday School class for a Valentines Day outing. They have a good salad bar and usually steamboat round and fish etc. When they serve the luscious desserts, I plan to whip out my MF oatmeal cookies!
5'3 50 y/o Married
Started MF 11-08-04
Renewal experience 7-16-05
Karen
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby 24KaratGold » January 14th, 2005, 1:24 pm

Yikes! I would have to avoid pizza the same way I avoided Mexican food.

Karen, I really think it helped that I had a shake within two hours of eating out. It kept me from snacking on bread before the salad arrived, and meant that I wasn't really, really hungry, making it possible for me to eat just half the salmon.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby msmac0905 » January 14th, 2005, 3:10 pm

Way to go 24!!! :cleader: Nicely done!! I haven't had the challenge of a formal sit down dinner at a restaraunt , but I have been to fast food a couple times only to order a plain grilled chicken breast sandwich and throw away the bread. Now I know what to do. Again congrats!!!!

Oh yeah, Mama, I am going to nominate you for MF sainthood for resisting 45 pizzas!!! :D
201.5 12/31/2004 (2 days before beginning MF)
msmac0905

Postby MamaD » January 14th, 2005, 3:33 pm

Oh yeah, Mama, I am going to nominate you for MF sainthood for resisting 45 pizzas!!! :D

Yeah!! I have always wanted to be the queen or saint of something!!!! The only think that saved me from the pizza's was I was very busy and with all of them together in the same room... I could also smell wet cardboard!! Thank you Jesus!!

Weekend is coming...my hardest time... best plan my days~!~ Take care all
CC
MamaD
Trusted Member

Way to go!

Postby Diet Diva » January 14th, 2005, 5:26 pm

Dear 24 Karat,

Way to go! Congrats to you. Eating out can be such a challenge! My husband and I used to go out way too much because it was easy and convenient. Yes, it was an easy way to go--but it wreaked havoc on my waistline. I totally understand the temptations, but you made some fabulous choices. Keep it up. Your decision was solid gold!

You'll be there before you know it.

Yours,
Diet Diva :D
Diet Diva
Trusted Member - #90 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » January 18th, 2005, 9:34 pm

Today was a difficult day for me, really for the first time. I got hungry at work.

I had my first MF a bit earlier than I usually do, around 7:30 or so (oatmeal). By 10 I was hungry, so I had my fruit 'n' granola bar, and then by 1:15 I was hungry so I had a vanilla shake. At 4:00 I had a Dutch chocolate shake, and then I was late getting home from work and didn't eat until 7:30 (chicken and veggies). I'm not hungry anymore; the chicken did its thing.

I also had bouillon during the day, and I drank one large glass of crystal lite, two diet cokes, two 25-oz bottles of bottled water, one 33-ounce bottle of flavored non-caloric sparkling water, and two glasses of diet root beer.

I have to buy more celery, I'm all out. I think if I had had some at work today that I could have munched on it would have helped.

I don't like dill pickles. Since dill pickles are just cucumbers in brine, I wonder if I could eat two fresh cucumbers instead?

I'm pleased that despite the struggle today I stayed with it. I was on this board a dozen times today -- and it was slow, not too many people here!

I have one more MF I can have today, if I get hungry again tonight. The lean and green really helps, though. I admire those doing full fast; I'm quite sure I wouldn't be able to do that.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby Nancy » January 19th, 2005, 12:04 am

24 Karat ~

You are on the 5 and 1 and you NEED all 5 Medifast meal replacement products PLUS the one Lean n' Green. If you have just been having 4 Medifast produts, maybe that's why you're hungry.

Diet soda an also make your tummy rumbly and feel hungry. You had Diet Croak and Diet RB.

What time do you get up? Did you have your bowl of oaties within a hour or crawling outta the snore sack?

Nope...no cucumbers to replace the dill picklers unless they are eaten as the 'green' in your Lean n' Green meal and if so, the veggies need to be eaten WITH the meat to make the meal a proper balance of protein to carbs
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » January 19th, 2005, 12:29 am

I have all 5 of my products, don't worry that I'm passing up anything that I can legally be ingesting. :D I had my last shake around 9:30 or so tonight, and I'm now up past my bedtime, about to head off to bed.

Yes, I had my oaties within half an hour of dragging the carcass out of the sack this morning.

Usually I have only one diet soda a day, since I started MF anyway (I'm too busy drinking all that water to drink soda). But today I had two -- but the second one not until I was well in to fighting off the hungries. (I don't drink coffee, so I get my caffeine through diet coke. The summer I was studying for the bar exam I drank at least a six pack a day. :shock: )

I'm pleased to have conquered it, though.

I'll buy some fresh celery tomorrow. That helped last week, so if it happens to me again I'll be prepared.

Bummer about the cukes. Oh well, I'll survive. I just never developed a taste for dill pickles. Thanks for setting me straight on that.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby Nancy » January 19th, 2005, 12:48 am

You are vewy vewy welcome, 24 Karat ~

Hey! Thought here...when I was the hungriest, I was losing the best load of lardage. I remember thinking that my insides were going to turn wrong side out a few times, that I was so hungry I wanted to drag my tongue across the bedrail for a stray dust bunny or around the bedpost for a lingering gumwad and lo, and behold! The next morning when I mounted the scale, lah-dee-dah! I had dumped off some major lardage overnight - persistence pays off!

It makes ya feel real good, too when the call of the cupbloards does not win!

You are doing great to have weaned yourself down to one Croak a day!

Nighty night, 24 K, don't let the bed bugs bite an whatever ya do, don't bite back - they're not on the 5/1 program unless you eat 'em with veggies!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby shirley » January 19th, 2005, 3:06 am

Hi everyone I just read the post and they had wed jan. 19 2005 on them and it looks like the day is tuesday I thought. :?: Loved all of your shareing keep on focusing on the goal :D shirley
shirley
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Nancy » January 19th, 2005, 1:03 pm

We all live in different time zones (some of us are permanently zoned out...J.K. ;) ) but I believe the Internet goes on Greenwich Meridian Time. I think I may have set my profile weirdly so it looked like I operated on Mountain Time, but I'm not - I'm on Pacific Time.

:coach: Hey, Techmeister, help me out here! I'm not the cerebral Nerdster, just the lovely lithe Leopardess who lounges about reading love sonnets, sipping on Starbuck's, dreaming of SUNNY weather, flowers, and serious shoppage...yup, I'm a dreamer! :snooze:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby 24KaratGold » January 19th, 2005, 1:27 pm

This one's easy!

Up at the top of the page there are a bunch of buttons. Click on the one that says "profile." That will bring up your own profile in a manner in which you can make changes to it. Near the bottom of the page is a place for you to set the time for the board to your own local time. I have mine set on GMT - 8 hours, because I live in the Pacific Time Zone which is 8 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time.

That should end time traveling problems. :D
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby explorthis » January 19th, 2005, 2:21 pm

just the lovely lithe Leopardess who lounges about reading love sonnets, sipping on Starbuck's, dreaming of SUNNY weather, flowers, and serious shoppage

laughing….. the what?

L.L.L.W.L.A.R.L.S.S.O.S.D.O.S.W.F.A.S.S.??

There’s an acronym for ya… Almost looks like “Leopard Sass”
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Next

Return to The Weight Room