Musings And Thoughts On This Journey

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Postby LadyinVA » January 27th, 2005, 11:50 am

itsgonnaworkthistime wrote:I am a slave to the scale, and have been very frustrated :roll: that I have stayed the same for 4 days straight....I have been totally compliant,

Maura, I am so feeling what you are feeling right now.....I haven't felt like sticking to this plan much less posting. However, that being said....I have been totally compliant this entire week and the scale has not moved since last Thursday. I even had an out of town trip last Friday, and watched everyone I was with eating a wonderful lunch...actually my lunch wasnt bad, but they didn't have any low fat low cal dressing, so I had to do with VERY little...and then watch them eat the wonderful Amish desserts. I am still sticking to this (a first for me, normally I would have quit after this long with no results), but am feeling pretty discouraged that I am stalling this early in the game.

However, I do know (in my head anyway) from all my previous years of dieting (which is how my metabolism got this way in the first place) that this is a weight that my body likes to "rest" at for awhile and I am trying to "trudge" past it. I have been reading past posts from people dealing with the same issues and it has really helped!

Thanks to all on this forum for all the support and encouragement that is given.
Shari
Start Date 12/28/04
218/189/160
Psalms 37:4
LadyinVA
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby bk » January 27th, 2005, 1:19 pm

shari - i must be at my "resting" spot too. (or the scale is broken - i wish!) very frustrating! i hit 226 a week ago and have gone up and back down to 225. I have been 100% on program, drinking a gallon of water a day (literally), and I'm just not budging. For 4-5 weeks down the line I would have been fine with it, but for my second week, I'm really not happy at all.

to top it all off, i've been actually physically hungry yesterday and today. this is weird, because i didn't even have any problems starting the program. i woke up hungry yesterday, was hungry all day, and died of hunger falling asleep last night. this a.m., i woke up hungry again. i am going to have to try one of those acid-blockers. i normally have a stomach of steel that never gets upset!

i've never been real big on the dieting (i dropped some weight several years ago on WW & kept it off), and i'm young, so i have no idea what's going on with me. truthfully, i don't know how long i can last with no weight loss and being hungry. i don't have any medical problems or anything similar that would prevent me from losing. and since i'm completely and totally on program and drinking more water than i thought possible, it's not anything *i* can fix, which i hate!!!

maybe one of us will get moving and give the other one some hope!
bk
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby raederle » January 27th, 2005, 1:19 pm

Hi Maura, Shari, and bk,

I just wanted to chime in because I'm struggling with a plateau, too. It's only been a few days, but it's still frustrating because, like you, I've been completely on-plan and have been "good" even in front of people who were pigging out! But you're right, we must trudge on. I certainly know that although MF doesn't *appear* to be doing anything to the scale right now, it will. And I suppose staying the same weight for a few days is better than ballooning up, which is what I'd be doing if I went back to my old habits...

I wish I could force myself to weigh only once a week so my mood wouldn't be so dependent on that stupid number each morning! But, I guess I'm better off being addicted to the scale than addicted to Pop Tarts!

We'll all make it through-- we just need to hang on and the weight simply *has* to come off. It has no choice!!! I will MAKE it come off!!! No fat cell can resist the power of MF!!! :whip:

Hugs to everyone!

PS-- Ladyin VA-- I went to school in Lancaster, PA and LOOOOVE shoo-fly pie! Maybe we can think of a way to make it out of MF crackers, maple sugar oatmeal, and fake molasses flavor???
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby itsgonnaworkthistime » January 27th, 2005, 3:04 pm

Its always nice to know I'm not the "only one" experiencing this LAG! Thanks everyone for filling me in on your progress (or lack of). Even though the scale hasn't budged, I haven't had the urge to cheat, which is great. :D

The thing that is really bugging me is that all I had to lose was another 4 pounds by next Monday, and I would win our weight loss jackpot at work of $270.00. That would be good money for my vacation in March.....

We started a "fat off" right before Thanksgiving, and each put in $40.00 and every week you are over from the previous week you put in a buck a pound. Needless to say up until a couple weeks ago, I was up and down/ up and down, and contributing to that pot every other week.

The only saving grace is EVERYONE who was in the pool, has been doing the same thing. I am the closest to winning it, and the last day is 1/31/05. I know its silly to be upset that I can't get 4 pounds off by Monday, but I was rubbing it into everyone that "I'm gonna win!!!!" :goofy: nan nan a boo boo!!

So that adds to my frustration :x

I know its only a slump.....but get over already! :roll:

Maura
Start Date: 1/2/2007
itsgonnaworkthistime

Postby 24KaratGold » January 27th, 2005, 3:14 pm

But Maura, you could. Go back and read what people say about holding level for several days or more, and then having a big loss show up on the scale overnight. You've held for four days now, and you have four more days to go until Monday. Drink all your water and more, and I bet it happens!

bk, Nancy has said that if you are dying of hunger, go ahead and have another shake. I'm sure she'll be along to say it herself, but it's one thing I've held on to myself! I haven't actually done it, but just knowing that I had permission to helped. Make sure you have everything that you are allowed to have; three stalks of celery, two dill pickles, two cups of bouillon.

We can do this!
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby LadyinVA » January 28th, 2005, 5:09 am

Yeah, after finally venting yesterday, (and actually going UP .5 pounds yesterday).....the scale FINALLY moved. I was down 1.5 pounds this morning. :-P I'm so glad I didn't cave during the past week, I was definitely thinking about it! (And that Shoo-Fly pie!) That was a VERY LONG 7 days.

Here's hoping everyone elses scale moves downward and that this slump is finally over.
Shari
Start Date 12/28/04
218/189/160
Psalms 37:4
LadyinVA
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Marseilles » January 28th, 2005, 6:28 am

Excellent new Shari!! Yaaay!! :) Isnt it awesome when our perseverance pays off and we have the satisfaction of knowing we did not cave into temptation or instant gratification???

It has been often said that medifast will NOT fail you, so long as you do not fail yourself. For many reasons our bodies will be stubborn and hang onto that unwanted weight, but it is ALWAYS temporary. Congratulations to you for having the determination to weather the plateau!!

Your loss is your reward!

Happy Friday! :)
-M.
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby itsgonnaworkthistime » January 28th, 2005, 7:52 am

Hey 24K,

So far no budge on the scale. But I'm still hopeful.

I wanted to tell you I really like your new sliding ticker that you added to your signature. Its a really great visual.

Maura
itsgonnaworkthistime

Postby Marseilles » January 28th, 2005, 8:08 am

Persevere Maura, you will see that drop anyday now!!! It wouldnt surprise me in the least for you to see a significant drop when you least expect it, several pounds as payment for your diligence!

I forget who offhand, but I know of at least one member here that has alternating weeks, where one week she sees no loss whatsoever and the next week her losses are in the 4-6lb range.

Be vigilant and stay compliant to MF, it WILL pay off!

:)
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby Sylvia » January 28th, 2005, 8:37 am

Guys,

PLEASE, PLEASE be patient. Everyone loses at a different rate and speed. This WILL work, your weight WILL come off more quickly than it would any other way but you didn't put it on overnight and it will not come off overnight.

You should all read "Success in a Shaker Jar". In it, Linda Spangle says it is very common for folks to lose very little in the second week as fluid levels adjust. This is frustrating but temporary.

I averaged a little under 3 pounds per week weight loss during the 28 weeks I was on the program. Believe me this was an AVERAGE. After my first month when I lost 20 pounds, I consistently lost 10 pounds every 4-5 weeks. This was not 2.5 pounds a week. It ended up being 3 weeks where I lost frustratingly little (many times between 1 and 2 pounds) followed by a week to 10 days when I lost 5-6 pounds lightning fast. I can tell you that I was a whole lot happier during the quick loss phase than I was during the slow loss phase, but the bottom line is that the average weight loss each month stayed about the same.

When I started, I thought it would only take me 4 months to lose my weight but it actually took 6. At some point, I decided I wasn't going to obsess about how long it would take me - I would commit to doing the program for six months and then reassess when I reached that milestone. I ended up staying on the program about a week past the 6 month mark at which time I declared myself at goal.

Don't despair if your scale seems stuck. The weight will start coming off again and you will probably be rewarded with a fast drop of a few pounds. Stick with it. Looking back, those plateaus were momentary and the rewards well worth the battle!

Sylvia
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby mindovermatter » January 28th, 2005, 9:13 am

Thanks, Silvia. Your post came just when I needed it. I just completed my 3rd week and the scale has slowed way down. 2 lbs for the week, just when I was getting use to 7lbs a week. Unrealistic, yes, but I want it right now.....okay, end of tantrum. Gee, do you think theres an instant gratification issue going on.

Beth
1/06/05
225/175/140

Jan - down 21 lbs
Feb - down 12 lbs
Mar - down 10 lbs
mindovermatter
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Sylvia » January 28th, 2005, 9:28 am

Beth,

You will be wearing shorts with pride by the time Summer rolls around. Just stick with it!

Sylvia
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby itsgonnaworkthistime » January 28th, 2005, 9:48 am

I have no intention of letting the slow weight loss deter me. I have been compliant, and really have had no cravings so I'm in it for the long haul. I just have that little issue of the money pool I was sooooo looking forward to..... :lol:

But if it doesn't happen so be it. I still have had tremendous results the first 2 weeks and am very happy about it. :cleader:

I do have an "event" coming up....My baby turns 21 on Wednesday, and we go out to dinner every year ...his choice of restaurant. Well he wants Olive Garden. I went to the website, and found they have Salmon and Brocolli which is about the only thing without a sauce or pasta. Salmon is okay for the diet isn't it? I'm on the 5/1 plan. I just want to make sure that I will still be eating a lean thats within the rules....

Thanks for all the support. I'll let you know if I'm in the money on Monday morning!!!

Maura
itsgonnaworkthistime

Postby 24KaratGold » January 28th, 2005, 9:57 am

Salmon's a go, yeah. I think my first post on this thread was to cheer about my first time going out to a restaurant after starting Medifast. I had the Cajun salmon and a green salad, and lots of tea and water.

I've been out to dinner a couple of times now. I find it helps if I have a shake maybe an hour before going out, so that I'm not really really hungry and I can easily pass on the bread and appetizers.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby bk » January 28th, 2005, 11:09 am

ooh, i got me a slidey thing too! :roll:

my weight budged this morning, down to 225.5 yippee!

i haven't had any cravings, so that has really helped with that hungry feeling. kind of hard to describe it i guess (hungry, but don't want to eat?!).

anyways, it must be like going to the bathroom at a restaurant (your dinner will be at the table when you get back) - once you complain that you're stuck, the weight just walks away.

maura, i know if my scale moved, yours will too! i was expecting to be stuck at 225 for much longer!

i didn't have an extra shake, but i will if i really need it to get through the program. and no celery. ich blech & blah! i love cooked celery, but raw celery? eeeeeeeew! i am not a picky eater, but i do have a short list of "things that taste like dirt that bk will not eat." celery's on it! :D

i think salmon would be great. it has all those good omega-3s in it.
bk

PreviousNext

Return to The Weight Room