Musings And Thoughts: The Second Hundred Days

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Musings And Thoughts: The Second Hundred Days

Postby 24KaratGold » April 24th, 2005, 6:42 pm

The day I left for Hawaii (April 12) was my 100th day of Medifasting. In those first hundred days I lost 48.5 pounds, and gained faith that MF really can help me get below 200 pounds for the first time since high school.

It seemed like a good place to end the other thread, which had grown to 18 pages or so, and start a new one for the second hundred days. So welcome to the new thread -- hope ya like the decor, and if you're hungry check the pantry, there's plenty of MF and flavored water. ;)

I am pleased to report that I went off MF while in Hawaii, and that I went right back on when I came home. The Sunday before I left I weighed at 221, and that went to 223 the morning I left (I had started to eat more, and get out of ketosis, after weighing on Sunday, to prep for the trip). I did not binge, but I did eat pretty much what I wanted, including a Sunday night returned-home trip to my favorite Mexican restaurant with family and friends. Monday morning the 18th I weighed at 227 and started right back on MF, and as of this morning I was at 219 and excited to have hit the 50 pound mark. So my second hundred days started as of last Monday. I'm excited to see where I will be at the end of them, which will be on July 27th.

I have to really thank Rae, and Mary, and Maura, for sharing their experiences with going off MF for a little while on vacation and then getting back to it. Those stories gave me the confidence to think that I could do it too, and of course the accountabilility here meant that I had to. :mrgreen:

I started this journey at a size 24, or LB's 22/24. Last week in Hawaii I bought clothes at Macy's, in their regular sizes, in size XL, and last night at LB I bought several outfits in size 14/16, as detailed in bk's shopping thread. I am having FUN buying clothes, rather than dreading having to do it.

I'm seeing cheekbones, and have found my dimples again. And I'm starting to see my collarbones. I have more energy, and am not shying away from cameras quite so much. I feel so much better about myself. I'm having fun doing more physical things, like snorkeling and kayaking and hiking.

I find myself wondering, if the first 50 pounds has made this much of a difference, how much difference will the NEXT 50 pounds make?? It's almost a little scary to contemplate. Because I can look in the mirror and honestly acknowledge that I am still fat, but when the next 50 or so are gone, I won't be "fat" anymore. And I've never not been fat. (Well, I was a 6 pound baby.) Although as I look at pictures of me from college and law school days, I wasn't as fat as I thought I was, or as, perhaps, I was treated. Right now I weigh about what I did in those days, and about 22 pounds more than I did when I graduated from high school.

I do wonder often how different my life would have been if I had had MF, or something like it, and been able to lose the weight when I was much younger. If I had spent my twenties in particular at a normal weight. No point in looking back, I suppose (ah, the sin of Lot's wife -- the looking back!); there's only one way to go, and that's forward.

There's lots going on, and I'm frazzled, and will try to share more later. My last day at my old job was supposed to be Friday, and my new job to start on Monday May 2 (the day before my birthday!). A glitch has occurred, though, and at the moment I'm sitting on a jury (afternoon trial only, thank goodness), and that has pushed back my end date to next Wednesday, because I need the time to get my files in order to hand on to others (even though I spent four hours in the office today, Sunday. Blah). That, in turn, is pushing my start date at the new place to a date uncertain a few days later, because I really do need at least a few days between jobs to decompress and do things like clean my house and get the oil changed on my car. And pay my bills and do my personal filing and paperwork.

Good lord, I'm writing a book. I'll stop for now. But hey -- thanks all for being there, and especially Nancy and Terry and Tim for providing this forum. It really does make all the difference, I'm convinced of it.

(Edited to correct typos)
Last edited by 24KaratGold on April 24th, 2005, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby sister » April 24th, 2005, 8:14 pm

24K ~

Thank you, thank you for always sharing what's going on with you!!
I've said it before and I will say it again, you have really helped me come as far as I have. I started out quite heavier than you but nearly the same week and have lost about the same.
This post really hits home with me. I can't imagine how much better I will feel after 50 more pounds - I feel pretty great now!!!

My 10 year old daughter surprises me almost everyday with some new change she sees in me. She's so cute about it, very dramatic. My chin, my rear, neck bones, whatever - it's the things I'm not tuned into yet I guess. I'm still big but evidently not as big as before!

Again, thank you!
Sherri
sister
Trusted Member - #60 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » April 24th, 2005, 9:27 pm

Sherri, thank you! I've never thought of being an inspiration to others, at least not in something like losing weight! I guess it really does help to have others to go hand in hand with on this journey, though.

My 16 year old son is the one who notices the most for me, and it's great of him that he thinks to say something about it. He is my one who is the most "sensitive" -- in a good way. He's the one who is most empathic with others, I think. It will get him hurt a lot in the years to come, I fear, but it will also take him places -- good places -- that so many others will never be able to go. At any rate, he's the one who will always say something when I'm wearing something new that shows I've lost weight, and he's full of hugs and love. Lord, I shall miss that child when he goes away to college.

So good for your daughter, that she notices, and cares enough to say something! Isn't this fun??
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby bk » April 24th, 2005, 11:01 pm

Um, 24K... Can you magically make your son about 10 years older?!?! :)

In all seriousness, though, I'm going to basically second absolutely everything 24K wrote tonight. I just passed my 100 day milestone too (not to jump on any bandwagons or to steal your thunder!). The funny thing is, I was thinking the exact same thing as 24K today... I feel great now. FANTASTIC! 25 pounds ago I felt that way, and honestly couldn't really truly imagine getting where I am. I could imagine doing the program for this much longer, but not really what it would feel like. Then I thought, whoah! What will I look like & how am I going to feel another 25, 50 lbs from now?? The difference is just absolutely unbelievable now I just can't imagine it.

Basically the way I feel right now is completely positive, and I KNOW without a shred of doubt that I will make it to my goal. From wearing size 22 pants, not being able to fit in most of my clothes, to selling every single one of them because none of them fit anymore, I'm just feeling so fabulous it is really hard to convey.

BTW, it is good to know that one can handle vacation periods and go right back to MF. My trip in June to see some family is going to be tough, because it will be an absolute whirlwind 3 days of craziness, but I will manage my challenges!

Also, I've said it before, but I've said it again -- I'm REALLY pleasantly surprised at how supportive every single one of my friends has been at my weight loss. I did think that my size 2 best friend might have some issues, but she has been bar none the most supportive one. She brags about me constantly! I know a lot of people lose friends when they lose a lot of weight. I feel very fortunate to have surrounded myself with such great people. That's a great self-esteem boost, too!

Speaking of shopping threads, I'd better go visit... So much to report!

Congrats again 24K!

bk
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby kassilou » April 25th, 2005, 9:51 am

Thanks, 24K, for sharing your experiences. Sounds like you are discovering a whole new you! (It does make one curious about what we would have been like, how our lives would have been different, if we'd not been fat.)It is so good to have this forum where we can support each other and share how we are doing. It is so helpful to have people around who have BTDT to help light the way for the rest of us.

You are so lucky to have a lot of support. My kidlets understand that I am on a diet, but at their ages (10 & 4) they are not exactly supportive. :D Dh appreciates that I am doing this, but doesn't say much. My mom is doing this with me (she doesn't post here, but does read the posts....Hi, Mom! :byebye: ), and that really helps, too. No one else has said anything...I'm closing in on 50#, but the loss is not really noticeable yet. I can feel it in my clothes and rings, but even I can't actually see a difference yet.

This forum really is a lifeline. It helps keep me accountable, and gives me hope that even if I mess up a bit and fall off the wagon, it is possible to get back on. I was skeptical and desperate when I started this diet. It's been 20 years since I lost this much weight, and I don't think I could have done it without y'all. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Nancy, Terry and Tim for all you've done here. Thanks to everyone who post their struggles, triumphs, and support for others. I don't always post, but I am here reading every day and you've all helped me tremendously.
To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals.
~Ben Franklin
kassilou

Postby 24KaratGold » April 29th, 2005, 8:04 am

Okay, this is weird. It's ten minutes to eight, and I'm sitting at home, in front of the computer, in my nightgown. Wednesday was my last day at my old job, and my new job doesn't start until next week (I have to call and firm up exactly what day next week).

It was very hard leaving the old place, at the end. Every other time I've left a job, but for one short one, I never looked back, but this one... jeez. I've been there nearly eight years, and there's been very little turnover. Eight attorneys in my department, three with more seniority than me, and the "newest" one has been there nearly four years.

Upward and onward, I guess.

Things got complicated by jury duty. Now, in California, attorneys do not have an automatic exemption from jury duty, as they do in some states. However, in all the years I've reported for jury duty (closing in on 20 years, I think), I've never actually sat on a jury. I get kicked off for one reason or another -- either I know the judge or one of the attorneys, or it's the same type of work I do, or whatever. Other lawyers don't like to have lawyers on their panels, and will often exercise one of their peremptory challenges to get rid of them.

Normally, I'd've welcomed the opportunity to sit on a jury. This country demands little of its citizens, but it requires that we pay our taxes, defend ourselves and each other if attacked, and that we sit on a jury. A jury is the buffer between the power of government (and we all know what Lord Acton said about power, right?) and the rights and freedom of the individual. The greatest abuses in the exercises of government power against the individual occur in those countries that do not have a jury system, or where the jury system is a joke.

Plus, I have always wanted to experience the process. I've tried cases to a jury before, but that's very different from being on the receiving end.

The only problem this time was timing; technically my last day at the office was supposed to have been last Friday, and I was supposed to start my new job next Monday. Instead, a week ago Wednesday I ended up on a criminal jury (with another lawyer, sitting right next to me!), and that threw the whole schedule off.

We arrived at a verdict on Tuesday, and I'm very glad to have done it, but I'm a bit frazzled right now. And I have a "to do" list a mile long, ranging from getting the oil changed on the car to having the plumber in to fix the drain in one of the bathrooms to having glass doors installed on the tub of one of the other bathrooms (there are three in this house) to getting the dogs groomed to . . . well, it goes on and on.

I'm going to Nordstrom's today with one of my Nordie's suits to see if they can take it in enough so that I can wear it at least until high summer. The pants are a 20W, and the jacket a 22W, and I'm wearing 16W bottoms and usually 16W tops now (unless the arms are small), so I don't know how much they can take it in. I tried on a bunch of clothes there yesterday and left them on hold to think about. As much as I love the long silk skirt, and it fits and looks perfect in a 16W, I think I'll pass. Even on sale it's $74, and for something that I hope to shrink out of in a couple of months that's a bit steep. I still need a few new things for my new job, though.

It rained yesterday, but it looks like today might be a pretty day. Happy shaking!
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby 24KaratGold » April 29th, 2005, 8:14 am

Ah, something I meant to add. I mentioned in an email to Nancy the other night that I had worn one of my new outfits in size 14/16 to work and jury duty the other day, and that I felt like a fraud, like I was a fat person pretending to be wearing these thinner clothes. This is going to take some getting used to....
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby Dean0408 » April 29th, 2005, 9:23 am

24K...

I agree with your thoughts on Jury Duty. It is something that we should do willingly. The only problem I have with it, is where they get the names for prospective jurors.

Currently, these names come from the lists of registered voters. More people DO NOT register to vote than do. I think the names should come from the income tax list.........or some other list that puts more of the population in the pool.

In the last 5 years, between my wife and I , we have been called no less than 6 times to serve on a jury. We were selected for jury duty on four of those occassions. The last time (in November, 2004), I was on a Federal District Court Jury.......and had to go downtown every day for two weeks. I HATED that. I have no idea why anyone would ever willingly drive to downtown Los Angeles. It is the worst traffic in the world.

Sometimes my fellow jurors can be very frustrating. It is amazing how they try not to get involved even though the are already involved. The misinterpret what was presented.......and in California, it seems many of them are so liberal that they will try ANYTHING to find a way NOT to convict. ..........but.........I am rambling.

Your last post was incorrect in my opinion. It was in fact.......the opposite of the truth.

You are NOT a fat person pretending to be thin. In the past............You were a THIN person pretending to be FAT. Now that you are thinner.....you are simply beginning to be yourself. You were not born overweight...........therefore...........you are NOT a natural born fat person.

It sounds like you were comfortable in your old job and now you are moving into uncharted waters towards the new job. It is natural to wonder if you have made the right move......soon you will start the new job and get your bearings. In all liklihood.........you will realize you made the right move. If not..........well, what is the worst that can happen? You were looking for a job when you found this one........right?

Have a great weekend 24K..........looks like we have a sunny day for a change here in SoCal. Hope the weekend stays like this.

Dean
Dean0408
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » April 29th, 2005, 9:54 am

I agree with your thoughts on Jury Duty. It is something that we should do willingly. The only problem I have with it, is where they get the names for prospective jurors.

Currently, these names come from the lists of registered voters. More people DO NOT register to vote than do. I think the names should come from the income tax list.........or some other list that puts more of the population in the pool.

Actually, in California it's both from registered voters and driver's licenses.

I suppose they initially went with just the voters because in order to be a juror you must be a citizen.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby 24KaratGold » May 1st, 2005, 11:00 pm

I went to Renaissance Faire today with eight teenagers, all of whom either live at my house (half) or it seems like they live at my house. (Actually, as I think about it, some of them are now 20 or 21 -- I can't say all teenagers anymore.)

Regardless, we had a blast. They are such a fun group, and now they are at the age where I don't have to keep a constant eye on them. Cell phones are great things for getting everybody together in one place for an event, or for when it's time to go, too. And we walked, and we walked, and we walked.... yikes! We were there for about seven hours, and I took a three hour nap when we got home, lol.

I was proud of myself food-wise, though. I took a Ready-To-Drink and drank it just before we went in, so that I wouldn't have to carry it. A couple of hours later I had a roasted turkey leg -- I passed on all the usual RenFaire treats that I normally love. That turkey kept me from being hungry for the rest of the day, pretty much, and it wasn't until we got home that I ate a bar. I've had to push to get the rest of my MF meals in today.

If you look at my avatar, you'll see that it is a picture of me in my RenFaire "garb" or costume. Sadly (not!) the only part of my costume that I was able to wear today was the hat, because EVERYTHING ELSE IS WAY TOO BIG!!! I passed on buying new garb today, too, figuring that I'll just wait until I've finished losing weight before I do that. It was weird walking around in shorts and a shirt, though.

I'm going to Nordstrom's today with one of my Nordie's suits to see if they can take it in enough so that I can wear it at least until high summer. The pants are a 20W, and the jacket a 22W, and I'm wearing 16W bottoms and usually 16W tops now (unless the arms are small), so I don't know how much they can take it in.

The Nordie's tailor said that there wasn't really anything she could do about the suit -- that altering it would basically be re-making it, and that wouldn't be cost-effective. You should see this suit on me now -- it looks like a clown suit or something it is so big. :D I hate the fact that I spent so much money on it and only ended up wearing it a handful of times, but as I told the tailor, I'm not going to gain back the weight just so that the suit will fit. I'm more concerned right now about having something to wear into court after I start my new job, which will have me in court a lot more than the old one. Despite the fact that "the pink silk suit" (mentioned in another thread somewhere) which now fits isn't the best look on me, I think I'll take Nancy's advice and buy something to strengthen the color so that I can wear it until I shrink out of it, and thus avoid having to buy a suit right now.

I've seen in the Roll Call thread that Dean is at goal -- CONGRATULATIONS, DEAN! That is awesome work on your part, and we WILL be looking for the before and after pix, won't we ladies? ;)

And Rae, I saw in that same thread that you are back to goal, after that panicky week. Congratulations, and I think we've all learned something from your experience, including the fact that we CAN maintain, and that sometimes we WILL indulge, but it will be okay if we jump right back on it and nip any gain in the bud. Thank you for sharing that with us.

I'm looking forward to not having to go to the office until Friday! Tuesday is my birthday, and for the first time in more than 20 years I won't be working on that date! Last year I was in trial, I remember. This year a friend of mine (who knows I'm dieting, and is supportive) is taking me out for lunch. He's the guy who "retired" (at 47) from the job that I'm going in to, and he's the main reason they already like me there, as they love him and I come highly recommended by him. He and I have known each other since freshman year in college, and my boys all call him "Uncle."

Oh hey -- today's weight of 216 means that I am now more than halfway on this journey! 53.5 down, and 51 to go. Woohoo!
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby raederle » May 2nd, 2005, 6:26 am

Sounds like you had an awesome day all around, 24k! Slinking around the RenFaire, having shrunk right out of your RenWear. (At least we know your head didn't shrink, since the hat still fits! ;) ) Congrats on doing so well at the Faire, without indulging in high-carb treats! It's hard doing some of the things we used to do as fatties, I think-- doing old things in new ways (i.e., by eating only a turkey leg without any of the other goodies) just drives home how different we must be to stay thin... but it must've felt good, and so worth it, to pass up the potatoes in return for being too small for most of your clothes!

And yup, DEAN MADE GOAL!!!! YAY!!!!! And as for me, yes, I basically gave myself a panic attack for no reason. I did learn a good lesson, though, and I'm trying ever harder to find new understanding about why I still binge sometimes... If I can't figure out the "why," I'll at least find some strategies to prevent or contain them. Looks like this is a life-long learning experience, but I suppose nothing worth doing is ever easy, huh?

Happy almost birthday! I hope you enjoy this week-- I know you have tons of errands to run, but I hope you find time to do something really nice for yourself-- maybe a half day at the spa, getting a mani/pedi/massage? You deserve a reward for being MORE THAN HALFWAY THERE!!!! Congrats, woman!!! :mrgreen:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » May 6th, 2005, 7:51 am

I'm off to start my new job! Wish me luck!
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby raederle » May 6th, 2005, 7:55 am

Woo-hoo! Good luck, 24K. Not that you'll need it... if they love you only half as much as the folks did at your last job, you'll be dazzling these new people in no time!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Dean0408 » May 6th, 2005, 8:17 am

Ditto what Rae said about the new job.....

Also.......I see by your ticker that CONGRATULATIONS are in order for passing the HALFWAY point on your trip to your goal weight!! :D

It's all downhill from here.........GREAT JOB 24K!!!

Dean
Dean0408
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby dlr2424 » May 6th, 2005, 9:19 am

..........24K....BEST OF LUCK........well you don't need luck.........you already have what it takes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...... :D
Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Next

Return to The Weight Room