Musings And Thoughts On This Journey

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Postby raederle » February 28th, 2005, 11:05 am

Sylvia wrote:Pretty darm accurate although they haven't quite got the cellulite down.

Ha ha ha ha... too funny! :roflmao: While they're at it, they should add in the stretch marks, gray hairs, spider veins... :mrgreen:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » February 28th, 2005, 11:07 am

I think I'm leaning toward taking it. I'm bored and burned out where I am. The only thing that's keeping me from being on the phone right now and accepting it is the whole commute thing. And I think I can deal with that, really. I have a good CD player in the car; given the work I can do I can stagger my time around rush hour -- maybe work at home for a couple of hours then drive in when the traffic's lessened, that sort of thing.

I'm going to take a couple of weeks off between jobs, though, to de-stress. And I've already told them that the first week of April is my high schooler's spring break, so I either will have to start after that or take that week off right after starting. And I need two weeks in August for a pre-planned family vacation and to take my oldest to college. They are amenable on all counts.
24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Sylvia » February 28th, 2005, 11:33 am

So negotiate a sign on bonus and take March off! If it's flexible enough for you to be able to miss the worst of the traffic most of the time and you can work from home a couple of days a week, sounds like a good decision to me.
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby raederle » February 28th, 2005, 11:35 am

Maybe with that signing bonus you negotiate you can afford to take March off *and* put a down payment on a new convertible. That would certainly make the commute more enjoyable!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby smartiegrrl » February 28th, 2005, 11:43 am

raederle wrote:Maybe with that signing bonus you negotiate you can afford to take March off *and* put a down payment on a new convertible. That would certainly make the commute more enjoyable!

Hehehe I *love* your way of thinking! ;)
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » February 28th, 2005, 1:22 pm

24 Karat ~

Decision Day!

We are plain old happy for you to have such a nice option available for you.

I will just say this, I have worked since I was 12 years old - I started out as a babysitter and picked berries and beans in the summer; when I was 14 years old I began working in an insurance office every Saturday and all summer long and during the Christmas holiday and continued to do so through college and while I was teaching first grade until I was preggers with our only child.

When I went back to teaching, I worked very hard and in the last years, I traveled during the summer months and taught teachers to teach the way that I did.

I worked at the community college for six years and quit this past July because it was not my passion and it kept me from enjoying my time with my family and friends.

My point is, I’ve worked very hard all my life, consequently, I spent a lot of time away from my family and friends and I never made very much money. I have virtually no retirement money because I taught in private schools (my choice) for most of my teaching career and there were no benefits – no medical, no dental, no retirement. I was away from home a lot and when I was home, I had a lot of homework, etc. that prevented me from really being with my family and friends.

At this point in my life, if I had it to do over, I would have spent a lot less time with others and more time with my family and friends.

You have a wonderful opportunity to do work that will be satisfying and you’ll make more money now and the potential to make even more but the commute will also take time away from your family.

I think I would want to know how much work at home they might be willing to permit.

I’d rather work super hard for three days a week and work longer hours – like 12 hours and then be at home the rest of the time with my family. Many places are permitting flexible hours – that may reduce your commute time and distance, too!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby monkeymom » February 28th, 2005, 2:21 pm

Heck 24K, if you can stagger your hours and not drive during rush hour, you'll be fine. Under no traffic circumstances, it's probably only about 30 min. from you to Encino, isn't it? I know the 134 moves well, but the 101 is my problem child, I avoid it at all costs. Then again, I'm usually going to opposite direction of what you would be traveling.

Another thing to think of is if this new job is going to do anything to further build your resume. I was absolutely shocked when a friend of mine whose hubby does all the HR stuff for a major corp. out here told me that most companies look for people to not be at a job more than 5 years anymore. They see it as a sign that the person is trying to improve their situation, they consider them to be "highly motivated" as opposed to someone like me who's been at the same job over 7 years. Strange, huh?

Thanks for the llbean tip, I am definately going to check that out, sounds like fun.
Vicki
255 - 1/29/08
monkeymom

Postby 24KaratGold » March 1st, 2005, 4:35 pm

Okay.

I just called and told them I'd take the new job.

Now I have to tell my current boss....

I can do all sorts of stuff representing other people. "Representing" myself I'm more of a wimp about.
24KaratGold

Postby BerkshireGrl » March 1st, 2005, 4:40 pm

24Karat, YEAY! :cheers:

As for your current boss, be strong! I am sure they will be impressed with your professionalism in your giving notice even though they will miss you...

But you are going to a far, far better place ;)

Courage!
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby kassilou » March 1st, 2005, 4:41 pm

Congratulations!! Hope you love it!

(and good luck telling your current boss... :) )
To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals.
~Ben Franklin
kassilou

Postby Nancy » March 1st, 2005, 9:27 pm

Congratulations!

Celebrate with a Diet Soda and a bowl of MF Oatmeal! Hee hee!

When do you tell your boss?
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby smartiegrrl » March 1st, 2005, 10:32 pm

Oooo I'm excited for your new job!! :D :D :D
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Sylvia » March 2nd, 2005, 7:44 am

Congrats! It will be interesting to see what your current boss says...maybe you'll get a counter offer just to make things even more interesting!
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby raederle » March 2nd, 2005, 8:28 am

Sylvia wrote:It will be interesting to see what your current boss says...maybe you'll get a counter offer just to make things even more interesting!

We do love drama here at the Forum! Don't let us down, 24K! Seriously, congrats on the new job; I hope you love it. It sounds like a great group of people with ineteresting work; you'll make the commute work for you, I'm sure. Necessity breeds brilliant solutions, right?

Kassilou-- just wanted to say I love your new avatar! It's fun to watch, especially now that our beloved dancing Spidey is taking some healing time off.
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby 24KaratGold » March 2nd, 2005, 8:49 am

Ah, thanks for the good thoughts. This is such a nice place!

I'll tell my current boss today. While she probably would indeed like to make a counter offer, as a practical matter her hands are tied. The downside of working for a corporation instead of a private law firm is that the people who know what you can do are rarely the people in a position to make decisions about such things. She couldn't raise me out of my assigned "pay band," because then everybody else in the department would expect that.

It will be interesting -- and odd, and it's frankly a bit scary -- to be out in a private firm again. But I did discover that they are a "jeans anyday, unless you have a professional appearance/meeting/etc." place, so that's awesome. That sort of "casual dress" is actually worth money, to me. Saves a fortune on the dry cleaning too!

I'm trying to figure out some way to take the kids to Hawaii in between jobs. The problem is that the two high schoolers' spring break is the first week in April, and the junior college student's spring break is the second week in April. And I don't want either one of them to miss classes. The high schoolers have already missed too much school for being sick this year, and the college student is taking at least one course that he really needs to not miss if he can help it.

Maybe I should go alone. :twisted:
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

PreviousNext

Return to The Weight Room