Musings And Thoughts On This Journey

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Postby 24KaratGold » February 14th, 2005, 11:33 am

I found out last night (the friend who just retired from there came to dinner last night) that the employees all have their own bathroom key, so that is one less thing to worry about anyway!

Nothing to do now but wait and see.

Yesteday was a hard day to stay on the program for me. I think I ate way more veggies than the program allows, but it was that or dig into the lasagna (yeah, it was lasagna again. We don't usually have it that often, but the friend who came to dinner requested it special for his birthday dinner, and given that he's done so much for me with this job prospect....).

My husband made a fresh salsa with onion, tomato, tomatillo, cilantro, peppers and chilis, some lime and a splash of vinegar. Everyone else ate it with tortilla chips; I actually ate it by small spoonfuls. Then when everybody else was having lasagna I had chicken breast which I cut into small pieces and rolled into a large lettuce leaf and covered with salsa. That was pretty good.

The other thing we made for his birthday was a German chocolate cake, his favorite, but that's never a problem for me to pass up because I don't like coconut and that's what the frosting is. I made a Dutch Chocolate/Amaretto frozen treat, and while others were having cake I had that.

I did get rewarded when I stepped on the scale this morning to find I was down another pound since yesterday's "roll call" weigh-in. Yesterday was one of those days that I could feel the jeans I was wearing get smaller [edited to add: that should read, I could feel the jeans get bigger!] throughout the day (which helped combat the "I wanna eat!" mood I was in), so I did step on the scale today.

This puts me at 242, which is what I weighed when I got pregnant with the child who will be 20 next month. (I've been at this weight, and somewhat below, since then, but it's a marker for me.) Of course, when that happened I had just gained 25 pounds over the preceding six weeks that my dad was hospitalized and ultimately passed away. Getting there will put me at where I was when I graduated law school, so it's something to shoot for.

Oh, and Hubby's down to 179. :mrgreen:

Here's to the week ahead. Happy shaking to all! And Happy Valentine's Day!
Last edited by 24KaratGold on February 14th, 2005, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby monkeymom » February 14th, 2005, 11:47 am

So sorry I missed your post a couple of days ago 24K. The driving in and around Encino was truly ugly Friday! Steer clear of the 101 at all costs!! I HATE that freeway.

You must be really close to me from the sound of it. It takes me about 30 min. or so to get to Encino from here, depending on time of day, etc. Of course you know where I am, think I specified in my profile.
Have you lived in SoCalif long? cause it's odd to hear a longtimer complain about a 30 minute "commute" :lol: , heck, that's a trip to the grocery store a lot of the time :mrgreen:

It sounds like you made it through a difficult day well yesterday. Don't be hard on yourself, better to eat more veggies than a slab of cake or bowl of ice cream!

Keep us posted on the job.

Have a great day.
Vicki
255 - 1/29/08
monkeymom
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby raederle » February 14th, 2005, 11:50 am

Hi 24K-- I just wanted to tell you that you did an AWESOME job of holding strong despite the lasagna! It's funny how we're programmed to feel bad if we eat too many veggies on MF, but I think this is certainly one example of how great an "overload" of veggies can be, considering the alternative! Besides, it really doesn't sound like you had too many, and your scale obviously didn't mind at all. Congrats for getting rid of another pound, and for making it back to 242! Even if you've been at 242 more recently than 20 years gao, it still seems like you've turned back the clock two decades... and that's *quite* an accomplishment. You're doing great! And you're an inspiration to me for making smart choices despite strong temptations. Woo-hoo!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle

Postby 24KaratGold » February 15th, 2005, 8:41 am

Monkeymom, I'm in the opposite direction from you. I live near the Rose Bowl. And yes, driving around Encino was MISERABLE on Friday!

I've been in California since I was 18, except for one year, and most of that in Southern California except when I was in law school in Berkeley. But I'm terribly spoiled with my commute right now, since I'm 10-15 minutes away from my office. The thought of a 30-40 minute commute is not appealing. I've done it before, though, and will do it again if this comes through.

Rae, thanks for your good words. I've certainly never thought of being an inspiration to anybody else before! This is a one-hour-at-a-time process, as I know that you know. I, in turn, am impressed with the fact that you are only one pound away from goal, and are persevering. I'm not sure that I would be. I'm looking forward to the celebration thread when you make it!

I know I shouldn't get on the scale every day, but after the good results Sunday and yesterday I just had to this morning. It's so much nicer to get on the scale when it's been going down than anything else, lol! Anyway, this morning was down another 1.5, to 240.5!! It looks like maybe I'm going to be following that same pattern that Sylvia spoke of: a couple of weeks with low losses followed by a week or ten days of fast losses. I'll take it, I'll take it!
24KaratGold

Postby raederle » February 15th, 2005, 8:51 am

24KaratGold wrote:Anyway, this morning was down another 1.5, to 240.5!!

That's SOOOO great! I'm a scale junkie, too, and I have to admit that my day is just better when I see a loss like that! I'm so happy for you!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby Sylvia » February 15th, 2005, 9:05 am

And I'm impressed by both of you! 24K - as you move forward, your own pattern will emerge. During the first month it is harder to see what it is as you tend to lose more quickly. Over time, a pettern will likely emerge. This won't make it that much easier when you're in a phase where the weight is not coming off but you will at least understand objectively that you just need to persevere to get to the fun times of rapid loss! All I can say is enjoy it while it's here and always remember it when it's not - it will be back.

Rae - I agree completely with 24k. I admire you for waiting until you see the magic number on the scale before declaring victory. I didn't do it (although I fudged a bit by never declaring my goal as an exact weight - my old profile said 150ish) and part of me now wishes I would have. Oh well, I guess it's water under the bridge now.

So here I am back for a second and much shorter stint on the program. Restarted yesterday and I have to tell you it was really tough. Had the whole headache thing going on and was quite irritable by end of day. The first time, I had the extreme motivation of reaching what i considered to be a point of no return. This time, I don't have that. I tried to talk myself out of doing this many times yesterday, saying you don't need to do something this extreme - you are now reasonably thin, look good, etc.

I talked myself back off the ledge too. I have gained a few pounds - some muscle but some probably not. I am not willing to let this trend continue. So I told myself I would/could do this for a couple of weeks - after all I did it for over six months before. It is also a challenge b/c I am exercising a lot and am unwilling to pull back significantly on that. This means I need to consume more calories than I did the first time around. So yesterday I did a 7 and 1. I want to stick to the program but also want to boost my calories. Today I have a training session. Usually a total of an hour and 45 mins of workout during which I probably burn at least 1000 calories. Will definitely adjust my eating upwards today and see how it goes. The good news is that I dropped 3 1/2 pounds from yesterday to today. Mostly water, I know but still motivational!

Good luck everyone!
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby 24KaratGold » February 15th, 2005, 9:16 am

Sylvia, you are truly one of my role models! When I get discouraged, I keep coming back to you and Camillie, and how much weight you both lost in so short a time.

Good luck to you on this short stint. I've read your postings about wanting to get back to it for awhile. Pop an Advil right now, whether you have a headache yet or not. Better to forestall it than to try to kill it afterwards. (Best that way for menstrual cramps, too. Take it before you need it; it's more effective that way.)

Hang in there!
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby Sylvia » February 15th, 2005, 9:27 am

Thanks. Unfortunately, I am allergic to advil and aleve. Can only take tylenol and narcotics for pain so I just need to grin and bear it. Today seems much better so I'm hoping I didn't need as much detox as the first time around.

All in all, it is so reassuring to know that MF is there and that I can and will lose weight quickly on it. No longer have that fear that as soon as I fall of my diet I will go back to bad habits and quickly end up where I left off.

That I lost this much weight in 6 months is still a bit amazing to me. That I have successfully kept it off in the 3 following months is more of an achievement in some ways. I can't say I've never been up a couple of pounds during that time - I have. I can say that I have managed it and have not let it get out of hand. That is really different for me.

Also, when I was weighing in over 200, I could gain or lose 15 pounds without really noticing. One day I might realize my clothes were a bit tighter but I didn't feel materially different. Now, I can really feel it when I gain even 3 pounds. Things start feeling a little tighter and I just don't feel as good. Because of that, it's been easier to put a halt on things before they mushroom.
Sylvia

Postby monkeymom » February 15th, 2005, 10:02 am

Triskets, you are in such a nice area by the Rose Bowl. But unfortunately you would be going with the heavy traffic if you take the position in Encino (which I know you know). My son is very lucky, he goes to school at PCC, but of course from here he is going the opposite way of traffic most of the time, so it's not too bad. He loves the drive on the 210, except for that area around Sylmar, it's kinda ucky around the freeway there.
Please let us know just as soon as you find out about the new position, we are all pulling for you.
Oh, and mucho congrats on the weight loss!! Don't feel bad about the scale, I have a hard time with that too.........lol.
Vicki
255 - 1/29/08
monkeymom

Postby Marseilles » February 15th, 2005, 10:36 am

So.....would anyone happen to know where I could get some legal representation??

:roflmao:

Im teasing, of course...you buncha crazy lawyers!!! ;)

Very neat, how we of all walks of life have found each other for support, from lawyers to the criminally insane!!!

(again teasing....No. Really.)

:hammerhead1:

Best of luck with your quest for a new position 24, I hope it turns out to be everything you are dreaming of!

-M.
:)
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby 24KaratGold » February 15th, 2005, 10:57 am

monkeymom wrote:Triskets, you are in such a nice area by the Rose Bowl. But unfortunately you would be going with the heavy traffic if you take the position in Encino (which I know you know). My son is very lucky, he goes to school at PCC, but of course from here he is going the opposite way of traffic most of the time, so it's not too bad. He loves the drive on the 210, except for that area around Sylmar, it's kinda ucky around the freeway there.
Please let us know just as soon as you find out about the new position, we are all pulling for you.
Oh, and mucho congrats on the weight loss!! Don't feel bad about the scale, I have a hard time with that too.........lol.
Pssst, that's me, not Triskets! LOL

Hey, my son goes to PCC too! Small world!

I'm wondering if I would be going with the heavy traffic. Seems to me that most people are going from the Valley to downtown in the mornings, and I'd be going the other way. Friday night, once I got on the 101 things moved. It was Ventura Boulevard, getting to the onramp at Sepulveda, that was a b***h.

Oh well, I'll worry about that if they decide to make me an offer.

Thanks for the congrats -- I'm feeling motivated today after the nice scale readings the last three days. As Sylvia says, I'm going to enjoy it while I have it, 'cause I know what it's like to wait out a plateau.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold

Postby 24KaratGold » February 15th, 2005, 10:59 am

Marseilles wrote:So.....would anyone happen to know where I could get some legal representation??

And we seem to have the country pretty well covered! BK has the East Coast (I'm licensed in NY too, and have practiced there, so we really have New England covered!); Sylvia has the southwest, with Texas, and I'm holding down California! I'm sure I've overlooked somebody, too, and I apologize for that. We need the North and Northwest represented -- Nancy, surely you know some lawyer in Washington who needs to be Medifasting??

24KaratGold

Postby raederle » February 15th, 2005, 11:58 am

:D I got Massachusetts and DC covered!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby Sylvia » February 15th, 2005, 12:19 pm

And I'm actually licensed in Ohio...
Sylvia

Postby explorthis » February 15th, 2005, 12:24 pm

I'm holding down California! I'm sure I've overlooked somebody, too

UM - YEAH!! Someone else HERE is from So. Ca!!!
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

PreviousNext

Return to The Weight Room