Musings And Thoughts On This Journey

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Postby Sylvia » February 11th, 2005, 1:03 pm

If you can find a good tailor you should definitely go for it. I initially held on to many of my good clothes thinking I'd have then taken in when I was done. Of course, when I went from a 16W to an 8 that became completely impractical. I sold the good ones on Ebay and did pretty well - enough to make at least a small dent in my skinny wardrobe.

With that said, I actually spent quite a bit of $ on in between clothes that became too big as I lost weight. If you wear suits regularly, it would be much more economical to get them altered as an in between step. Fortunately, we are business casual so I didn't need to deal with the suit dilemma.

Good luck with the interview!
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby 24KaratGold » February 11th, 2005, 1:17 pm

We are business casual as well, and I have a whole closet full of suits that get worn only on days when I have to be in court or a meeting or some such. These two that I bought in October are the first suits that I've bought since I started working where I am now, and that was in July of 1997!

I don't know if this place (private law firm, not another in-house position) does business casual or not, so it's better to be dressed in a suit and not need to be for the interview, rather than the other way around.

It's pouring down rain here. Gonna make the drive out there, which should normally be 20-25 minutes, double that, I bet. Sigh.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Sylvia » February 11th, 2005, 1:22 pm

Wow, a law firm, huh? Don't think I could do it at this point.

I agree - when in doubt, it is always better to overdress than underdress!

Good Luck again!
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Nancy » February 11th, 2005, 1:43 pm

:shock: Huh?

:x Dang! rae, :scratchhead: you're right...

:mrgreen: sheesh!

:point: Musta been my night guard that got twangled around my cerebellum that caused that mix-up, she writes, :tongue: tongue in cheek as she slurps her Medimemory cocktail...
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby monkeymom » February 11th, 2005, 4:40 pm

24Karat,
I know you are in So. Cal., but that covers a lot of territory. I actually have a really good tailor that does quite a lot of work for my son. He's a "master tailor", but we are good friends with the owner of the store he works at so it's usually pretty reasonable. I could give a call and ask just to get some $$ figures for you to have an idea. Let me know.

Also, hope the interview went well, and the rain and traffic here didn't give you too much heck! I had to go down to Encino this morning and it was awful for awhile.
Vicki
255 - 1/29/08
monkeymom
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby bk » February 11th, 2005, 4:46 pm

*sigh* i wore the pants today to the suit i bought at the beginning of december. they are officially in the give away pile because i only have to tug a little when visiting the ladies'! no unbuttoning/zipping required! fortunately the jacket is a bit more snug so it can be worn still (and would look great with jeans!). you are not alone in your suit angst. I just don't think they are worth altering because they get loooooonger as i get smaller.

anyways, 24k, tell us how the interview went!
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » February 11th, 2005, 6:43 pm

bk ~

:tears: too bad, so sad...pants too big, huh?

P.S. Don'tcha love it??? :roflmao:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby bk » February 11th, 2005, 8:35 pm

oh so sad! boo hoo. can't ya see me cryin?! :)
bk

Postby 24KaratGold » February 11th, 2005, 10:27 pm

That's funny, monkeymom, because my job interview was in Encino!

Well. They like me. They really, really like me. I knew they would; I came highly recommended by someone they highly respect, and if you were to google my name you'd get a few hits representing some of the cases I've handled over the years in the appellate courts in a couple of states and the federal circuit. Forgive me if it sounds like I'm bragging, but I am good at what I do. They needed to meet me in person to make sure that I don't drool all over myself and that I'm presentable in polite company.

There are downsides, not the least of which is that it took me an hour and ten minutes to get home from there tonight. Now, admittedly, I was leaving there at 5:40 p.m. on a Friday evening in pouring down rain. As my husband commented when I got home, that's probably the worst case scenario for the commute.

I don't have a problem going back into a private law firm per se -- I spent a dozen years in them before I went in house -- but I do admit I'm not sure that I want to get back into the whole billling 2000 hours a year rat race. On the other hand, I am probably looking at something like a 25 percent raise. I have one kid in college, one who will be in college in a year and a half, and one more behind that one, so that's a real factor.

There are eight lawyers in the department I'm in right now. There are about 40 in this law firm, and it is growing. I would get to do more litigation, and more appeals, than I get to do now, and that's attractive.

I just don't know. I didn't think to ask them how long it would be before I hear from them, and we didn't really talk money. It will have to be close to the 25 percent that I anticipate to get me to make that commute everyday (without traffic and weather it should take about half an hour).

Amusingly, the woman I'd be working most closely with is another tall, overweight redhead with blue eyes, probably about ten years older than I am. She and I hit it off immediately. We have "known of" each other for years, but this is the first time we've actually met.

I guess the only thing to do now is sit and wait and see if they make me an offer, and what kind of money they will pay.

To bring this back to Medifasting: I ate my fruit n granola bar in the car on the way out there around 2:30, and didn't get to eat again until I got home and had salmon and asparagus ("Mom, we're sure eating a lot of salmon lately." "It's on sale, on my diet, and today is a Friday in Lent!") around 7. I planned the bar for just before the interview because I knew it would stay with me longer than anything else would.

One downside to this job I realized while I was there: the ladies' room is out on the floor rather than within the suite, so you have to get the key from the receptionist each time you go to use it. Given how often I've been running to the loo in the last month and a half, that could be a bit, um, embarrassing . . . .
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Nancy » February 11th, 2005, 10:45 pm

24 K ~

Oh, I am so happy to hear from you and to know how well the interview went. We KNEW it would!

The commute sounds like a killer but your husband is so right - you probably experienced the skankiest one tonight. However, what's with that BR commute - really, you must ask for a key? I'd ask for my OWN key. Tell them you have a "medical situation" and need access to the BR at a moment's notice! Just think, you'll be increasing your activity level at the same time you visit the sandbox. They better get a lot more litter when you come on board, eh?

Have a gladsome weekend - hmmm more $$$$$ means more college funds for the boys and more $ for smaller clothing for you!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby jene115 » February 11th, 2005, 11:13 pm

24KaratGold wrote:There are eight lawyers in the department I'm in right now. There are about 40 in this law firm, and it is growing. I would get to do more litigation, and more appeals, than I get to do now, and that's attractive..

I'm so glad it went well for you 24K and I absolutely love your confidence. Can I have some of that. Your statement I quoted hit home for me, but I'm a litigation assistant, not a lawyer. Right now I'm working in business banking and it's so darn boring I hate it. I love my firm but I have 16 1/2 years in litigation and I can't hang with this. My firm has 187 lawyers, but we're in several states, our home office in New Orleans, so our Houston office is about 22 attorneys. I too will be looking to get back into litigation, it's much, much, much more interesting than home equity loans and usury law.

I will send good thoughts your way. I hope you get the offer and the 25% raise. College is expensive, but mostly, you deserve it!
Jen
03/01/08
"I'm stronger than my cravings!"
jene115
Preferred member

Postby raederle » February 12th, 2005, 9:22 am

Hey, 24K-- just wanted to chime in with my congrats on your successful interview. It's great that you have a viable option, where you'd enjoy the work and where the people are likeable; whether you end up taking the leap or not, it's gotta feel good to know you are a hot professional commodity! If you find this isn't the right fit, clearly there *is* one out there, and you won't have too much trouble getting them to love ya!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby cplantho » February 12th, 2005, 11:54 am

I'm just sitting here chuckling about all of you talking about how expensive your work clothes are. I work in an operating room. I am REQUIRED to change into hospital-provided scrubs when I get to work. Nobody give a hoot what we wear into work. I don't think I've ever worn a suit, much less bought one. :lol: Dress shoes? Do I own any? I don't know! :lol: I wear what amount to pajamas at work. We even call them that sometimes. I feel real sorry for those of you that suffer with "career wear". I could never do that. :roll:
Christy
301/273.2/199

Started Jan. 24, 2005
cplantho
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby bk » February 12th, 2005, 12:00 pm

24k - sounds awesome. we will be waiting to hear about what your decision is! You know, if you are looking for something with a smaller commute you could always just shop around closer to home. i know how stressful driving commuting can be, but you could also use up the time with audiobooks, cle materials (??? i don't know - we don't have to do them), phone calls (can bill some extra time if its mostly bumper to bumper!), or whatnot. There's always a down & up side to commuting. For me, I like the chance to people watch, climb a few extra flights of stairs for the day (oh my goodness, did i actually say that??), and listen to my ipod!

As for the bathroom outside of the suite, I just started (contract) at a small firm yesterday, and it was the same situation. Fortunately the keys are located in a central area right near the door. I sure was in & out multiple times! However I do know both partners, and I just explained that I drink a gallon of water a day! 40 lawyers is quite a few not to have potties in the suite. You could just mention to the receptionist casually that yeah, you drink a LOT of water. i'll be bugging you ALL the time for the key. is it possible just to get an extra one? I did get a nice bit of exercise going back & forth & commuting and whatnot - I was SO tired when I got back home last night, but the upside is that I was unexpectedly down 2 lbs from where I expected to be this morning.

also a challenge - about half the people in the office order *pizza* on fridays. i sweetly said no thanks, and went about my business. turns out they engorge themselves on the pizza in the room i was working in, so i kindly excused myself and went somewhere else to work. whew. i was more worried about getting myself out of pizza than actually wanting pizza, so that was a good feeling. i just wanted to handle everything well so i wouldn't look weird!

As for not drooling over yourself, just be sure to keep your lips firmly gripped around your straw!! hahah. I do know the drill. I got dinged by a small lit boutique who basically thought I was too nice (um, it's called professionalism while interviewing, people!). When I told my friends about it, they couldn't believe it, because I can be naaaaaaasty when I want to!

Anyways, they were sort of crappy about rejecting me (after 3+ hrs of interviews too), but I'm getting my just desserts - they have to work with ME on the case I'm handling. HAHAHAHA. Just goes to show, don't burn your bridges, even if you're the reject-or. I'm still bummed that I have no permanent job, but happy that I have a lot of responsibility in this one.

Jen - business banking just sounds like torture to me too! Run away! With your experience & skills it sounds like you could land at another firm if your current firm has no openings for your field.

really, it just baffles me how there are so many legal professionals on the board. i guess its just that most of us here (everyone - not just the legal types) is very go-go-go bizzy bizzy bizzy and that just happens to include a lot of legal types!

bk
bk

Postby MamaD » February 13th, 2005, 6:00 am

Dern, I dont' think it is true what they say about lawyers...you all sound like kind. caring people to me......................But then again...I don't never plan on getting you miffed at me either. I too am amazed at the number of professionals that have gathers together on these boards for support. It just goes to show...we really are the smart ones!!

24K...listen here girl...when they call to negotiate that salary...you negotiate the bathroom key too.... I mean come on, you should not have to be explaining to a receptionist 6 times a day why you need it!! Right??

Take care ya'll
CC
MamaD
Trusted Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Weight Room