Mike

1 Thread per registered User.

Postby SharonR » June 18th, 2008, 9:52 am

I know you have been struggling Mike. Maybe we can encourage one another!

Robin, that sounds so nasty, she must feel like crap too!
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby Mike » June 18th, 2008, 11:39 am

I don't know how many I tried before... I've been overweight all of my life. I even remember going to an OA (overeaters anonymous) type group with my mom when I was in middle school.

When I had the surgery, I thought that was going to be it, but then I found that after 6 months I could have whatever I wanted, I just had to eat it slowly. I eventually stretched my stomach back out to normal size again, and gained back 50 lbs of the 160 I had lost.

Gastric bypass is not a cure, its a tool, and those who think its their miracle cure... its not. I can't tell you how many people I have spoken with who think that doing this will be the end all of dieting.

This program has been the best thing for me. Eventhough I haven't been sticking to it as I should, I am still trying to stay with it, and have not gained back all that I have lost. (15 lbs in a year and a half isn't as bad as 50 in less than a year).

So, I think I am in the mindset finally to get to my goal. I want to be there by my birthday this year (November), and I know I can... so I want to prove to myself that I will.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby heres2me » June 18th, 2008, 11:47 am

Good luck, Mike. I will be rooting for you!

Thanks for your support.
heres2me

Postby DogMa » June 18th, 2008, 12:44 pm

We're ALL rooting for you, Mike. And if you're NOT there by your birthday (cause sometimes our bodies don't quite cooperate), at least you'll be closer than you are right now.

And I'm betting that even when you're not on plan, you're not eating like the closet lady. I found that even when I went off, I was still at least MINDFUL of what I was putting in my mouth. I still ate it, but at least I thought about what I was doing.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby cydj21 » June 18th, 2008, 5:04 pm

Hi, Mike :D

I just wanted to chime in here, too.

I am also one of those people who has always been overweight...for at least for 20 of my 25 years. At a meager 5'5" tall I topped out at 271lbs at 22 years old. My bad habits led to having my gall bladder removed when I was just 21. I had the horribly diseased stone-infested gall bladder of an 80 year old woman that, I found out post-surgery, could have killed me at just about any moment due to the size of my stones threatening liver failure. While I was sick, I probably went from about 230 to about 200lbs. Afterward, I could eat again and eat I did! Even though my surgery and my health problems had scared the daylights out of me, I allowed myself to pack on over 70lbs. In January of 2006, I picked up People magazine's Half Their Size issue, learned about MF, ordered that night and never looked back.

When I went off MF for a while for financial reasons, I never forgot the MF principals and I attribute all of my success to MF. I basically took to eating several small L/G meals every day. Recently, I've been struggling a bit because I am so close to the finish line, and yet I often feel like I am a hamster running in my wheel to nowhere. Sometimes, I have to remind myself that I have lost over 30lbs since April 7th and that is no small feat - so no, I do not want that pizza, and no I will not feel cheated for passing while others pig out.

The point of my rambling is, I feel where you are coming from. I understand that feeling of starting all over again. I'm pretty good about staying compliant while on MF, but I feel, in general, as though I have restarted this whole weight loss process at least 1 million times. I've often been in the process of restarting and found myself berating myself for not just sticking with it, instead of being proud of myself for jumping back on the wagon when other people would have continued down the slippery slope. In the midst of your quest to stick with it and get it done, never lose sight of how far you've come and how many lives you are helping to change for the better today, including your own and that of your lovely wife. You are a role model and you are an inspiration and I cannot wait until you and I can coast into Maintenance Land together!
Cyd
Highest Weight - 271lbs in 2006
cydj21
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby Mike » June 18th, 2008, 6:57 pm

Thank you for that Cyd. Although we all have some sort of struggle, some people never truly understand what its like to live with the disease of obesity.
Some people have weight issues, and some have a disease... I am among those with the disease.
It is a daily struggle for me to fight the urges that at times feel so overwhelming that it makes me tired. I am very happy to know that coming here I can get encouragement, and also encourage others at the same time.

Thanks again, you are a true gem (as are all of the others who come here to do the same).

;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby jayzoe » June 18th, 2008, 8:14 pm

Mike wrote:Thank you for that Cyd. Although we all have some sort of struggle, some people never truly understand what its like to live with the disease of obesity.
Some people have weight issues, and some have a disease... I am among those with the disease.
It is a daily struggle for me to fight the urges that at times feel so overwhelming that it makes me tired. I am very happy to know that coming here I can get encouragement, and also encourage others at the same time.

Thanks again, you are a true gem (as are all of the others who come here to do the same).

;)

ohhhhhhhh I feel like I could have written that myself!!! I feel like that a LOT, that sometimes people who have just gained weight from one incident (like pregnancy, etc) just do not get what I'm talking about. This has been a life long struggle for me and will continue to be a life long struggle... I will ALWAYS be an addict, it's never going to just go away... and that sometimes makes me very sad :? but we'll work thru it together and make it a lifelong habit to be healthy!!!!
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight -- Proverbs 3:5-6
jayzoe
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Mike » June 18th, 2008, 11:13 pm

jayzoe wrote: but we'll work thru it together and make it a lifelong habit to be healthy!!!!

And lets not forget HIM. HE will always be there for us. Just as your signature states.

;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby Joy » June 19th, 2008, 8:41 pm

hi!

checking in!

regards,
joy
:-P
Joy
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby SharonR » June 19th, 2008, 10:23 pm

Hey Mike, how did your day go today?
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

SharonR
Preferred member

Postby Mike » June 19th, 2008, 11:52 pm

Thanks Sharon. Same question to you... ;)

Today was busy and hot. Had the guys over to do the yard clean-up and trying to keep the new dog from attacking them at first (she just barks and looks mean).
Drank lots of water and tried to keep busy. That is the key to the first few days for sure.

Good to see you Joy. How are ya?

Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby cydj21 » June 20th, 2008, 5:01 am

Hi Mike!

Just wondered how today is treating you...by the time you wake up over there on the left coast and read this, that is! :lol: The restart is always the toughest...by right around day 4 I always feel better and around day 7 I feel fantastic. It's worth working for, isn't it? Water water water. That stuff is a life saver!
Cyd
Highest Weight - 271lbs in 2006
cydj21
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby SharonR » June 20th, 2008, 10:30 am

Yes, I think being active is the key. Keep your mind off sitting and eating.

When Tony left this morning he said....make sure you keep active ( those were his words) because he knows how I can be. lol

SharonR
Preferred member

Postby Mike » June 20th, 2008, 1:16 pm

I can just hear him saying that too. ;)

We are busy around here... trying to keep up with our new addition (see pic below). Jenny is another rescue dog, but no training (well, at least she knows sit). She keeps us on our toes for sure.

Last edited by Mike on June 20th, 2008, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby SharonR » June 20th, 2008, 1:39 pm

I don't see the pic below!

SharonR
Preferred member

PreviousNext

Return to My Journal