Mike

1 Thread per registered User.

Mike

Postby Mike » June 9th, 2006, 6:12 pm

Okay, here goes.
I have been well overweight all of my life.. literally... I remember being in 1st grade at 75 lbs. My first drivers license at 16 showed 320 lbs. By the time I met my wife to be (Diana) I was 420 lbs. When I finally decided after both of us trying many diets and programs together, with inspiration to look into it from our friend SharonR, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery.
So, I was 460 lbs with a BMI of 60, diabetes, high blood pressure, and asthma. I had to lose 50 lbs in 4 months (which I lost 55 but it was a struggle). I had the surgery on November 23, 2003 (just before Thanksgiving).
I lost another 105 lbs after surgery over the next year, and then realized I could eat whatever foods I wanted without having problems. Over the next 16 months I put on 50 lbs.
Well, in January of this year, my sister-in-law, Dayna, started with TSFL and began losing weight. After hearing how well the program was working for her, my wife decided to start the program. I decided I would just get serious with my gastric bypass diet and we would all get skinny together.
Then, of course, Diana started losing much faster than I was, and eating food that looked and smelled pretty good. So I tasted some of it, and it was good. So then I decided I would give it a try for a month and see what happens. So, on April 8 I started and thus far I have lost about 41 lbs.
So, what I can say is, it doesn't matter who you are or what you have tried. Try this and see if it works for you. If it does, it will only make you healthier. Let's all be losers together, and in the end, we will all win.
Last edited by Mike on April 25th, 2007, 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby SharonR » June 10th, 2006, 9:29 pm

Awww Mike, I always forget that I am the one who brought up Gastric Bypass to you.

You could be one of the biggest success stories on here if you keep it up.

You are already down a 150 pounds from when we first met you, INCREDIBLE!
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby Mike » June 10th, 2006, 9:53 pm

Thanks Sharon. I appreciate the friendship we all have. I am happy we are all doing this together.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby Diana » June 15th, 2006, 5:55 pm

I love my loser of a hubby!! ..::sighandswoon::..

I'm proud of you for completing the journey you started years ago. I'm so excited about a healthy life together! Thank you for being my partner in all things, particularly the crazy, wild hares I get determined to do.

As you and your mom head out for Oklahoma, remember all the family and friends who are going to marvel at how incredible you look. Remember you are strong in body, mind and spirit. Remember you progress so far. And no doubt you will have passed me when you get back! :mrgreen:
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Mike » June 15th, 2006, 7:34 pm

Thank you my wonderful bride for those words of wisdom and encouragement. I will miss you for these next 2 1/2 weeks and can't wait to get back home. You :kool:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby SharonR » June 15th, 2006, 7:55 pm

Aren't you two the cutiest! hehe :oops:

Have a great trip Mike, be safe. We will look forward to seeing you when you get back. Your missing out on Bday cake! lol... :|
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby Mike » June 18th, 2006, 9:09 pm

Thanks Sharon. Although I would miss out on the cake anyways... lol
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby Elke » June 18th, 2006, 10:19 pm

I feel like I am ease dropping when I read this. LOL Hey Mike, you are doing awesome!!!
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Mike » July 1st, 2006, 12:00 pm

Well, I haven't posted in a while so thought I would. I've been on this trip throughout the southwest for over 2 weeks. I have been good to the plan for most of the time. There have been days that are harder, and I have switched to 2 meals and 3 supplements on a couple of days... :hmmm: sigh.
I weighed on my sisters scale today and it showed no loss. I will see what mine says at home on Monday. :?
I have had a good trip but am very ready to get home. I miss Di way alot and am eagerly awaiting the moment I get to see her again. :bighug:
By the way, the frozen RTD's worked great for most days, but after a while, sitting in a cooler that is full of melted ice (meaning water) they get kind of soggy... and difficult to manage, but still taste fine. :aarggh:
Anyhow, I will be home tomorrow and will post my weigh in on Monday morning.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby TonyR » July 1st, 2006, 12:05 pm

Yo Mikey!!!! :kool: Good to hear that you are doing well and have had a good and safe trip!! It may actually be good that you did 2 meals and 3 supplements! It may shock your body into more loss when you get home and get back on the walking and eating right!! See ya soon!! 8)
Start 5/1/06
Goal 3/1/07
TonyR
Preferred Member - #100 Club

I'm Back

Postby Mike » July 2nd, 2006, 11:39 pm

Well, it was a long 17 days, but I made it. I got home in one piece, and all things considered, I think I did okay on Medifast. I missed Diana like you wouldn't believe. We had never been apart for that long since we got married.... and I will say... never again!!! :coach:
I got to visit with lots of family and friends. In Okalahoma City (Yukon) I got to see my step brothers Richard and Robert (the twins... or the dings as some call them)and their family. We stayed with Richard. I visited with close family friends of Di and Dayna... had dinner there, which was very nice. They got to meet my mom.. which went well :lol:.
Then we went to Duke (near Altus, Oklahoma) and visited with friends. My best friend Mike's mom, brother, sister, niece and their respective families. We had a nice relaxing time there.
Then it was off to Santa Anna, Texas with a short stop to see Josh and his new wife in Abilene (Josh is one of Mike's nephews). We went to a family reunion for friends of my mom's down in Santa Anna (near Coleman and Brownwood).
Then we went up to Odessa, Texas and stayed ovenight with my nephew Johnny and his new wife, and his two boys (haven't seen them since they were very little.. they are 10 and 8 now and very well mannered.
Then we went to Roswell, New Mexico and stayed with my niece Melissa. We got to see her daughter Marissa and also my nephew Eric and their mom Donna. We haven't seen Eric and Donna in 10 years. Was a nice time.
Finally, we made our way back to California and stopped to stay a bit with my sister Suzie in Fresno. It was a bit hard for me there becuase she has Lupus and Fibromyalgia with it. She is in alot of pain, and has gained alot of weight. The doctors have given up, but she is still fighting it with God's help. Its hard because I am so close to her, and I know its hard for her to be in pain, and have guests there. She wants to do things to be a hostess, and won't let us do things. I just pray that God will heal her and make her more healthy.
We left there this morning and visited my dad's grave this afternoon near Santa Nella, Ca. Its alot nicer this time, as the grass has grown around the markers. He is buried in the San Juaquin Valley National Cemetary.
We made it home to my mom's house around 3 PM. I got home by 5 PM and so, here we are.
I'm glad it was a good trip, even if it was emotional.... being with my mom for 17 days and also away from my wife.... although I hear she had a great time at the TSFL conference. :D

Well, thats it for now.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby Diana » July 3rd, 2006, 3:42 pm

I never could keep your itinerary straight!

I'm glad you're back...and I'm back...

Congrats, honey, for sticking as reasonably close to plan and not gaining weight! That's a triumph for traveling!
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana

Postby Mike » July 6th, 2006, 3:27 pm

Okay, so this is just me being me, but I'm frustrated.:hammerhead:
When I had gastric bypass in 2003, I had gotten down to 300 from 460. I couldn't seem to get much below 300 and then I got frustrated and started eating wrong. :goofy: I ended up gaining back 50 lbs over the next year and a half, just before I started Medifast. :dooh:
Now I am back down to that point and I've been here for a couple of weeks and its not dropping again.:brickwall: I almost feel like 300 is where my body is telling me it won't go below, but I know I can get there... I'm just frustrated.:hammerhead:
So, I'm just venting my frustrations here because I can. :thumbup:
So anyways, I know I have a great support team who always cheer me on :cleader: :coach: (Dayna, Diana, Tony, Sharon) and I am so happy that I have them :whoohoo:
I just needed to let this out and hope that the scale behaves this next weigh in :coolnana:
Last edited by Mike on April 25th, 2007, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby Karli » July 6th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Hi Mike, I wish I could spout off something extremely wise about what you might want to try regarding the program and so on... but alas, I cannot at this point in my life. However, I do completely believe in you to continue making progress. You'll get through it and feel so great !

Best Wishes, Mike :hug:

Karli
Last edited by Karli on July 8th, 2006, 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Karli

Postby TonyR » July 6th, 2006, 7:58 pm

Keep your chin up man!!! Have you been going for any walks lately?? :?: Maybe go for a little jaunt around the block, nothing too far, just to kick start the endorphines from sleeping!!! you'll get there!!! :kool: :pet:
Start 5/1/06
Goal 3/1/07
TonyR

Next

Return to My Journal