Starting Out . . .

We will be adding links and answers to some of the more common questions here. Check here before posting to see if your question has already been answered.

Starting Out . . .

Postby Indigo » January 25th, 2004, 12:23 pm

Starting Out . . .

Welcome to the Beginner’s Post. We’ve gathered together information that will be helpful to you as you are starting into Medifast. We recommend you read through the post, and if you have any further questions, the members of the forum will be more than pleased to help you out.

Getting Ready . . .

Here is an excellent webpage that should answer most of your initial questions, please read it first:

http://www.makemethinner.com/medifast-faqs.htm

Getting your Medifast products

Medifast products are all shipped from Maryland. You need to allow up to 7 business days to receive shipments. That doesn’t include weekends, holidays, or weather conditions! There will be times (no matter where you are in the country) that you will receive your order in three days, the next time it could be seven. Always allow 7 business days for your order, to ensure uninterrupted Medifasting! If there is a delay or problem with your order, contact your health advisor, and they will help things along.

Getting set up to START!

Clean out ALL temptations
Consider talking about it with your family and getting their support.
Set a start day to get mentally prepared (but be sure you have your order-it’s tough to plan ‘D-Day’ and have a delayed shipment!)
Plan ahead how you’re going to handle situations at work, special events coming up, etc. There are a lot of good tips on this in the forum . . . It’s important to think it through.

The FIRST THREE DAYS

Are challenging. There’s no way around that. You will be hungry, as your body shifts into ketosis, but it gets much better after that. The first week is still a bit touchy, but most people feel fairly confident of their program by the end of the first week, experience little to no hunger, and are well on their way.

It is very important that you space out your shakes, so you have one every 3-4 hours, and have the first three by 2pm. You must have 3 shakes a day. Supplements generally replace one or two shakes a day. Do not have more than one Medifast bar per day.

A recommended schedule:

8am- first shake
11am-second shake
2pm-third shake
5pm- fourth shake or meal supplement (Medifast soup, chili, coco or bar*) or ‘lean and green’ meal
8pm-fifth shake or supplement (NOT a bar)
11pm-an additional shake (if you need it)

*if you're having a medifast bar, it's better to have it earlier in the day- it's a little higher in calories, and easier to 'burn off' that way-be sure to drink 8 oz of water with it

Full Fast or 'Modified'

When people on the forum refer to a 'Full Fast' they often mean a program of only medifast shakes. According to Medifast, however, a Full Fast also includes supplements. Either way, it means 5-6 shakes and/or Medifast supplements a day.(soups, chili, cocoa, bars)

A 'Modified Fast' means you are eating ONE 'lean and green' meal a day, and 4-5 shakes or Medifast supplements. The 'lean and green' meal is:

4-5 ounces of LEAN protein cooked without fat or sauces (5-6 ounces for men)- e.g. chicken breast, fish, lean pork, lean beef, etc.
a small salad with fatfree/lowcal dressing (a little)
@ 1/2 cup of low-carb vegetables (green beans, broccoli, etc)

And no. I'm not going to list out all the vegetables, etc. If you are an experienced dieter (as we all are) you KNOW what they are!! no fudging.

the total calories for your salad & dressing and the green vegetable should be no more than 80 calories.

Freebies

Bouillon, or other ‘freebies’ can fit in anywhere on your schedule.

Freebies:
Bouillon -2 cups/day (MBT or Wyler’s are favorite brands and come in cubes or instant broth packets)
Dill Pickles- 2/day
Celery Sticks dipped in salt- 3 stalks/day
Medifast Fast Soups
Medifast Crackers- 1 pack/day
Diet Sodas
Crystal Light (a fav, and great flavoring for shakes!)
Sugar-free Jello- small serving
Are there other freebies I should add in here?

Freebies are meant to support your weight loss effort, and have very few calories- however, it IS possible to use a LOT of freebies and throw off your calories for the day- be aware of carbs!

*See below for special tips on making the shakes and meal replacements even better!* There's also a special section in the forum called Lean Cuisine- you'll find additional ideas there.

It is important, even if you don’t feel hungry, that you have all 5 shakes (or equivalents) each day. It fulfills your body’s basic nutrient requirements. Having less than 5 shakes does NOT help with weight loss, it can actually hinder it.

*WATER*

Deserves its very own special section.
While your body is Medifasting, it is getting rid of fat, and the toxins that are in fat. It is critical that you drink at least 2 quarts (64 ounces) of water every day. EVERY day. More if possible. Some of the most successful members of our forum encourage a gallon a day. That’s in addition to shakes, diet drinks, etc. If you don’t drink at least 2 quarts of water a day, you will NOT lose weight, no matter how consistent you are in following the program. Your body just will not do it without the water. It’s that important to your body- it should be that important to you.

The side effect is, of course, frequent trips to the bathroom. As one member put it, he’s ‘worn out the zipper on every pair of pants he owns’- but then he’s lost over 100 lbs. in 137 days. I’d say it’s worth it!

The Scale

The scale will fluctuate from day to day. All sorts of things affect it, including stress, not enough water, a visit from ‘Aunt Flo’, a little more salt, etc. Some people who have been very committed to the program can handle seeing a 2lb. increase, knowing it’s just part of the pattern and it will go away in a day or two. For others, it ruins their day. Realize that fluctuations WILL occur, but you 'can't NOT lose weight' as long as you stick with the program. It’s a good idea (if you can do it) to only weigh once a week, because you will see the ‘averaging’ weight loss.

Unusual occurrences:

‘Rumblies’- Medifast products, for the most part, contain lactose- in small amounts, but it’s there. You may not even realize you have lactose intolerance, until your stomach starts rumbling after drinking a shake. All that means is that your body doesn’t make the enzyme that digests milk sugars. It’s easily adjusted by taking 1-2 chewable, tiny lactaid tablets (lactose enzyme) before each shake. Lactaid can be found in most grocery stores near to the Metamucil and Bean-o.

Constipation- You will be having a whole lot less bulk going through your digestive system on Medifast. It’s not uncommon to have a bowel movement every 2-3 days, particularly on a full fast. If you become constipated, Metamucil tabs or a daily Metamucil drink will set everything right again. The Appetite Suppressant shakes also contain added fibre.

Women's Issues- we all know that we gain @ 3-5 lbs. at 'that time of the month' so if your scale stays the same for that week, you are doing fine, and the following week you'll lose the 3-5 lbs plus. So expect it!

Special Tips-

There are all sorts of ways to enjoy the Medifast Shakes:
Use Crystal Light to mix with shake
Add a little Torani or Davinci sugar-free syrup (e.g.raspberry syrup in a chocolate shake)
Mix in a blender with Ice and add diet soda (e.g. a vanilla shake w/ diet orange soda is great!)

Again, visit the Lean Cuisine section of the Forum for more ideas!

Medifasting in the Real World

It really helps if you can avoid eating out during the first week or two of your program. But eventually, you will have to face the outside world.
People handle Medifast in social situations differently, depending on their own circumstances.

Some ideas:
Preparing a shake ahead with a little ice in a thermos, or using Ready to Drink shakes makes it all very portable.
Chopping up the supplement bar in little pieces in a baggie, and having it by your work station.

When you can’t avoid eating out:

In a Restaurant- tell people you had a big meal earlier and just aren’t hungry, or your digestion is upset and sip on an ice tea with Splenda (our favorite sweetener).
If you’re on the modified plan, have a lean meat (e.g. grilled chicken breast w/ a little salsa or grilled Tilapi) with a small salad (oil & vinegar or lowcal/lowfat dressing on the side)

Dinner parties/Buffets- have your shake right before you go. Put a medium size serving on your plate, then push it around with your fork to look like you’ve eaten some. Ditch the plate when the coast is clear.

Two questions always seem to come up when people are first considering and/or starting Medifast.

Transitioning: Nancy, one of the founders of our forum lost 128 lbs in 28 weeks (258 lbs down to 130 lbs), and has maintained it for over a year. She knows what she’s doing and will help you transition, stabilize, and maintain.

Loose skin: Here’s a great website article:
<snip>no urls - Mr. Snippy</snip>
Nancy, our fearless leader (AKA Leopard Woman) is 55 years old, lost 128 lbs, and wears a little (size 6) leopardskin swimsuit. There’s hope.

Welcome to Medifast! And a most special welcome to our forum. You’ll find lots of caring, supportive people here who have been where you are right now and will help you along the way.

As you have time, read back through the forum messages- you will glean many tips & tricks, learn about the challenges, and see over and over the many Medifast successes!

Again, Welcome!

Laurie, AKA Indigo
Last edited by Indigo on March 12th, 2004, 10:26 am, edited 6 times in total.
Indigo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Artificial Sweetners

Postby TamiL » February 1st, 2004, 4:57 pm

are artifical sweetners allowed? I have read in the forum that several flavor their shakes with Divinchi syrup and others use Splenda packets in thier coffee/oatmeal/shakes. how much of this is allowed?
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Kimbob » February 1st, 2004, 4:59 pm

Without artificial sweeteners, life might not be worth living!

Success in a Shaker Jar says artificial sweeteners are allowed, and she doesn't mention limits, so I don't know how to answer that part.

Kimbob the Splenda-lover
----------------------------------
Start Date: 12/09/03
243/210/170 (adjusted and guesstimated for new scale)
Kimbob
Regular Member - #30 Club

This is great!

Postby HD » February 2nd, 2004, 3:13 pm

I'm a new member and reading through this is great :lol: I just printed a copy to gaze upon when I have those moments of weakness.
Thank You, Thank You
Jackie (HD)
Jackie (HD)

01/24/2004
193/151/124
HD
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Indigo » February 2nd, 2004, 5:05 pm

Thank you :)
Laurie
2/14/04~ :heart:
247/222.4/150, ~modifasting~
Indigo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Echo » May 18th, 2004, 7:34 pm

I'm glad I read this. I weighed myself today and had my first 1.5lb wt gain, but 'aunt flo' is visiting (I'm glad someone else calls her that). Usually when she is in town I need a box of swiss rolls or she gets really grumpy, lol. Not this week though!

I own this!

Echo
Echo
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Yay!

Postby Echo » May 19th, 2004, 5:44 am

This morning that extra 1.5 is gone, along with another pound. I didn't realize how much my weight could fluctuate in one day. I'm so glad I didn't reach for those swiss rolls! :D
Echo
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Amanda » May 19th, 2004, 7:07 am

Echo,
I know how you feel my aunt flo's in town, and I weighed my self and I weighed 3 lbs more!! but This morning I was back down. I am a newbie still today is day 6 for me and so far I've lost 5 lbs, and thats with aunt flo still here. I have so much more energy, I don't have cramps, and I'm not craving chocolate like i normally do this time of the month. I'm glad you were strong and said no to the ho!! (hoho's) MF is great!!
Peace & Love,
Amanda

Start Date: 5/14/2004

262.5/227.5/135
Amanda
Regular Member - #30 Club

question about wine

Postby honeynut1 » July 19th, 2004, 3:56 pm

Can you have a glass of wine at the end of your night
while on mf :pour:
honeynut1

re: question about wine

Postby Simmshe » July 19th, 2004, 7:41 pm

Hi Honeynut :). I copied this Q&A from the General F.A.Q.s:

Can I drink alcohol?

No, you should avoid all alcoholic beverages while you are on Medifast. Because alcohol is metabolized similar to a carbohydrate, it will decrease ketosis and slow your weight loss.

Sheryl
Restart: 5/01/05
333/280/155

Original start: 7/13/04-12/12/04
High weight (1997): 386lbs

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure--Confucius
Simmshe
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Getting the message

Postby honeynut1 » July 20th, 2004, 9:57 am

Simmshe,
Thanks for the reply on the wine.:D guess I'll have to give it up for now. Darn! :cry: I started 3 days ago and for my meal I was having a small salad with low carb dressing. Along with my glass of wine :pour: thinking that my calories were so low that i could afford both. Also one of those days I had a 6" subway steak sandwich for my one meal. Well guess i was wrong because i stepped on the scale this morning and I've gained 2 pounds!! :x so I'll be nixing the wine and for sure the subs until i see some results.
anyway...thanks for the ear
ps..how do you get all on hear without gaps inbetween the lines! hehe I spent 30 minutes trying to figure it out and finally gave up! :dooh:

Honeynut
honeynut1

Postby Simmshe » July 20th, 2004, 5:47 pm

You're welcome Honeynut :).

Yeah, bummer about the alcohol, but it's just a temporary--and worthy!--sacrifice until we reach our goals :).

How long do you plan to follow Medifast? And you're on the modified plan, I'm assuming?

You said that you will nix the wine and Subway subs until you see some results, do you mean that you will re-introduce these things while still trying to lose weigt following Medifast? If you re-introduce these things while still on your plan, these things will surely throw you off some once you reintroduce them while still trying to lose weight. Not only will they likely increase or reintroduce cravings, it would also cause some weight gain (mostly water) and affect your progress. I'm no expert, but I do know a bit about nutrition, weight loss, metabolism, etc., and it seems that the longer we go on this plan being in at least a mild state of ketosis is important, almost more so than the low caloric level. Being in ketosis (and the adequate protein, of course) is what keeps our bodies from using fat for fuel instead of muscle--and, of course if you introduce too many carbs, your body will burn these instead of burning the fat that we want it to.

I'm sure that the many of the long-time users will say that adhering closely to the MF guidelines, for both the full plan and modified plan, will give you more optimal results. Just my 2 cents :).

Hang in there--things will certainly get easier (cravings/hunger-wise) the longer you go! I'm on day 8 on the full fast and feeling okay (other than a migraine that is PMS-related :x). I'm not overly hungry, but am still experiencing some hunger. From what I read, it seems that between days 10-15, sometimes a little longer, hunger dramatically increases and energy spikes. I'm looking forward to this!

Oh yeah, about the spaces--the emoticons make the line spaces greater because of their height :).

Sheryl
333/280/155

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure--Confucius
Simmshe

Thanks Shimmshe

Postby honeynut1 » July 21st, 2004, 1:10 am

Your advise sounds good and i will do well to follow. I think I'm going to try the full fast. Once i start to see results I don't think i will want to reintroduce the sub but the wine or martini is another battle. :x I really like how easily they make me want to sleep. I feel like I most certainly will overeat during my one meal. And most likely that one meal is going to taste realllllly gooood! So Full Fast here I come! :whip: I tryed a vanilla and a chocolate shake with a diet cream soda and a teaspoon of instant coffe and it was FANTASTIC! It not only got me going it tasted like a desert!! double benefit. The hardest part for me is late at night. I work until midnight and when i come home i want to relax with a glass of wine or a martini, which i can't do anymore, so the next thing in my mind is to eat to relax. I know how bad that is. I think i will try to crochet! hehe It sounds like your doing very well so far. Thats GREAT! Have you weighed yet? and if so how much have you lost in those 8 days?
take care of you and good luck on your journey. I look forward to having many more talks with you :D
your friend
Diane
honeynut1

Postby RavenKat » July 21st, 2004, 4:22 am

Diane,

I take a melatonin pill every night to help me relax. You can get them in the vitamin aisle. I started a long time ago because I had "restless legs" all night long. This really helps. :snooze:

Hanging out just above ketosis will make your battle that much harder. If you absolutely HAVE to eat something (and I mean, eat or stop medifast all together) eat a lean/green meal. Protein will increase your calories but keep you in ketosis.

I'll try your recipe, too - sounds MAHvelous!

Kat
259/180/165
RavenKat
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Simmshe » July 21st, 2004, 7:30 am

Diane,

Boy, can I relate, I'm sure we all can, to having a winding down ritual involving food, alcohol, or both! My wind-down of choice has always been food, so I usually have the chili as my last meal now, and usually pretty late (around 10:00-10:30 PM).

I'm following the full fast, doing shakes, fruit drinks (I love the fruit punch!) and soups. I'll reintroduce some MF bars to the mix when I resume exercise next week (I couldn't handle these in the beginning--I ended up bingeing on them--they're really good and have significantly more carbs and sugar than the shakes and soup. My food cravings needed to die down some, and they have now).

Good luck with starting the full fast, it is hard--at least it was for me--for the first 3-4 days (the first two days were the worst), but you can do it! And maybe after you have followed the full fast and your cravings are reduced you can have do the modified plan a couple days a week? Some people do this, alternating full fast days with modified days. You will figure out what will work best for you.

As for my progress, I have lost 16lbs. I know, almost incredulous! But the more you weigh, usually the bigger your first week loss will be, and the heavier you are, in general, the faster you lose weight.

I look forward to having more talks with you, too! I'm on the board a lot, and plan to be throughout this journey. Good luck to you and don't give up! It took me three or four attempts to get past Day 3--I kept losing it on the night of Day 2! So if you mess up, just start over again until you get over the hump :).

Sheryl :)
333/280/155

Simmshe

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)