Re-starting and need HELP :(

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Re-starting and need HELP :(

Postby Kimber » August 20th, 2008, 10:28 pm

Hello All,

It's been awhile since I've logged into this forum and I am in desperate need of a little support, encouragment and resources.

A few years ago I started medifast and did fabulously. I didn't reach my goal weight, but had lost 65 lbs and looked and felt great. Then I hit a platue and just couldn't seem to lose anymore. I got incredibly frustrated, and gave up.

I did well maintaining for about a year. Then while on a boat in the Caymens I injured my ankle. I thought it was a sprain and tried to ignore it... for a year. During that time, I was unable to walk beyond the absolute necessity. Needless to say, I packed on the pounds. To add insult to injury, I had to have tendon and ligament reconstruction of my ankle, with diabetic complications slowing the healing... (of course. Because nothing can be simple.) Which put me on bedrest for three months.

Now I find I am 15lbs OVER where I started from. Not to mention, I have a feeling I have lost a lot of muscle and am battling more fat this time.

I was hoping a few of you who have "re-started" on the site might be able to give me some info on your success rate. I could use all the encouragement I can get. And your successes will help me stay motivated.

In the mean time, at the time I lost the weight, my bf was stationed in Australia. So I sent him lots of pictures as I lost weight. (One of which was me in a bikini -- the first time in 20 yrs!-- I never thought a size 14 could look good in a bikini... but looking at that picture, I did!!!) So for now, I look at pics of my former success and say to myself, "You did it once Kimberly. Here is the proof. You are strong and can do this again."

Any guidence you can give me would be greatly appriciated! Thanks so much for being here!
Kimber
Regular Member - #50 Club

Postby Mike » August 20th, 2008, 10:35 pm

Hi Kimber,

Sorry to hear of all the stuff that has happened, but glad you are here for support. I've restarted a few times, and I know that its the hardest thing to do. My advice is to remember what you did the first time you started... clear out the cabinets, get those on plan snacks that will keep you going, and get focused before you restart. If you go into the mantra that you will be victorious, it will be much easier to stick with it.

I'm currently on my most successful restart, and I'm finding it difficult, but I really want this now.

Hang in there and you will do it. We are here rooting for you.

;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Kimber » August 22nd, 2008, 10:17 pm

Mike,

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Two days down and so far so good... I figure, if I just face this challenge one day at a time, all will be well.

I really appriciate the replay. Thanks again!
Kimber

Postby dede4wd » August 23rd, 2008, 6:51 pm

Hi Kimber,
Greetings from the queen of the restarts! Your story and mine have some similarities...I breezed through MF a couple of years ago. I didn't get to goal, but maintained well for about a year until I decided it'd be fun to quit smoking and told myself I could eat what I wanted as long as I didn't smoke!

Well, that gained me about 50lbs. I'm happy that I caught myself, but I've struggled re-starting since then. Mike is absolutely right, we have two advantages...1. We KNOW Medifast works and 2. We have succeeded on the program before, we know what to do.

Well, I've had several stops and re-starts. Life kept happening (nothing compared to what's been thrown at you). I finally realized I can't control those things, I can only control what I put in my mouth.

I remembered what worked for me last time. This is what works for me...completely on program, no adding. I know the DeDe plan doesn't work and I KNOW the Medifast progam does.

Something else I remembered is knowing my triggers. I got a little cocky last week. I decided I was going to have some cheese as my lean and bought a pack of shredded cheese. Well, needless to say, that packet of cheese didn't last very long (I had a melted cheese meltdown) and I now know that I can't have my "trigger" in the house.

Another thing I learned is that I respond to mini-goals. I myself put them in 10lb increments, so I'm currently 4lbs away from a pedicure! My next mini-goal is a professional cut and style. I like rewarding myself for fighting the good fight.

The last thingI did last time that I'm now incorporating this time is a carrot to chase. I've signed up to go to Florida with my friends in two months and have set a goal to fit into a cute size 12 costume for the costume party. It's been working for me, even the other night, I was out and had to have my L & G out...I had a pre-packaged chicken salad and I said to myself "get rid of those bacon bits, DeDe, you have a GOAL to get to!"

The main thing I learned is I had to get myself in the right mindset. I am there now and if I fall off the wagon, I will get back on 3 hours later with the next meal, no more of this "I blew it, the whole day is wasted, I'm going to Taco Bell" crap!

We're all here for you! Day 2 over, yay! You're almost over the hard part! I'm only on day 5 of my re-start but I KNOW this time is different because I am convinced I'm going to do it and I KNOW I will (if that makes any sense).

On to day 4! Go you!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

A few new surprises

Postby Kimber » August 27th, 2008, 6:01 pm

Hi DeDe,

Thanks so much for your story and support. I've found a few new surprises this time around. I've now made it a WHOLE week!!! WOOOHOO!

I have learned the more I can keep my mind and hands busy, the better off I am. Since I'm home the next few weeks without work to occupy me, I've started cleaning out my accumulated junk, and started a new fall quilt.

The surprise came when I realized the first three days were rather easy to get through this way. I felt fairly good other than a few occasional headaches and hunger. But the 4th day... WOW!!! I was so sick! The following day was even worse. I thought that was when things were supposed to be on the UP swing!

However, I made it through. If I can make it through the first week, and the withdrawls, (and stay away from temptation... I sigh as I watch my daughter eat a bowl full of cherries and my brother walk past with a big bowl of ice cream) then I can stick to this...

One day at a time....
Kimber

Postby rodeomom » August 28th, 2008, 6:43 am

Oh Kimber - do I know about ankle surgeries. I had 2 tendons and 2 ligaments reconstructed, my achiles had a partial tear TWICE, and I don't have my sural nerve anymore. All that in 4 surgeries, so I sure do understand your pain (quite literally!!!)

In addition to all of that I have also struggled to get back on plan and lose the rest of my weight to get to my goal.

You are on the right track having been going strong for a week now. Keep it up and you will be there before ya know it!!!
09/21/07 - 12/21/07 Lost 80 Pounds Ankle Surgery 12-21-07
rodeomom
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Come on in.