Scared of vacation!

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Scared of vacation!

Postby Allison Onederland » July 15th, 2006, 10:02 am

That dreaded time is upon me! I've worked so hard to lose these 55 pounds and now it's vacation time! :aarggh:

I should be happy and excited since we have never really been on a vacation except to visit my in-laws in Tennessee, but I'm not...I'm scared! Next week we are driving to Wisconsin and will be gone 13 days (hubby is working an airshow). No problem there, I've got RTD's on the way and a list of stuff to pack so I can stick to medifast while we're gone.

BUT...we are leaving August 5th to spend a week in Scotland followed by a week in Holland. No way to pack 2 weeks worth of RTDs unless I want to leave all my clothes and toiletries here. :? I have no idea how I'm going to get through 2 weeks without being miserable. I decided to go off medifast for a week last month and only lasted 2 days!! In two days time I gained 6lbs of fluid!...and I take diuretics!! I keep having dreams about being on vacation with my face, hands and feet all bloated and puffy and not being able to get my shoes on or zip any of my pants! :cry:

Ok, I've gotten that off my chest and had my little pity party. As Dede would say, "time to put on my big girl panties" and get on with things. Thanks for indulging me in my public pity party :oops:
Allison Onederland
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Aerie » July 15th, 2006, 12:58 pm

I don't know if this might seem excesive but couldn't you make up two packages and have FEDEX deliver to the hotels in Sottland and Holland that you'll be staying at? You can pick them up at the front desk when you check in!
Aerie
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Allison Onederland » July 15th, 2006, 3:43 pm

No, that doesn't seem excessive at all. I had thought about that a while back but, as my hubby pointed out to me, we will be on the run and eating on the run. In Scotland we are staying at Strathclyde University in one of their student flats (6 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms) with friends. We will have a small kitchen but I won't know until we get there what building/flat etc. we'll be staying in. I would hate to ship a small fortune in MF over there and then not be able to locate it!

In Holland we'll be staying with our former exchange student at her home, and also on the run constantly. I seriously doubt I could keep up with the 2-3 hr schedule of eating.

Believe me, I've thought this over frontwards and backwards and from all angles. :? I'm doin good to remember to throw a bar in my purse when I'm headed out to run errands. I just don't think I would keep up with packing supplements in my purse every day and then remembering to eat every few hours while out sighseeing. :uhuh: I'm going to have to be very careful about what I eat and pray I don't puff up the first day.

I guess I'm more afraid of feeling awful on my trip than I am of gaining weight. I'm going right back to medifast as soon as I get home and I know I'll lose whatever I might gain. :thumbup:
Allison Onederland
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby JKSRN » July 15th, 2006, 4:41 pm

Maybe, you could just keep aware of what you are eating on your trip, making sure it is balanced and that the portions are not too huge. And, that if you are inclined to snack between meals, make it a healthy snack.

As far as using FedEx, I think they are the best, too. But, the cost might be very high, depending on the package weight( especially RTD's) to mail the Medifast to Europe. If there are reception desks to take in the packages, then locating them wouldn't be too difficult.

I just sent a package out on Monday to Beijing, China via FedEx, it was already delivered on Thursday! Package weight: 8#-shipping cost $123.00. :roll: The imagined look on my grandchild's face when he got his birthday present? Priceless! :D

Joan
JKSRN
Preferred member

Postby sidrah » July 15th, 2006, 6:33 pm

Bring packets with you. You can always find bottled water to add the mix into and dump the bottle on the run. Maybe switch to 3 shakes or 2 and a bar and go for 2 small meals.

I would think it is so much easier to carry the packets than worry about lugging around RTDs especially if you will be on the run and have no idea when and where you will be and what accommodations will be there.

Maybe, have shakes in the AM and PM and a bar as a snack. You can always eat out with the family/friends for dinner and lunch and monitor what you have,

Any way you do it, have fun, too, please. I would love to fly all over like that.
Don't really care as long as everything's better than yesterday was...

@}---- @}---- @}---- @}----
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby losingwithmedifast » July 17th, 2006, 1:03 pm

Hi Alison
Don't be scared! I went to Alaska for two weeks and lugged along an extra suitcase with all of my MF food and did not eat any of it. I ate off plan the entire two weeks and upon my return I was up only 1 pound which came off within 2 days back on MF. I was very careful about what I would eat and did mostly meat and veggies. I did indulge in plenty of beer, occasional ice cream and fried fish and chips and I came through it unscathed. It actually gave me a ton of confidence for when I complete my MF journey! Before my trip I had lost a total of 35 pounds and since returning I have lost another 4 for a total of 39, hoping for 40 tomorrow! Someday you will have to learn how to live without MF and I found the vacation really good practice! The other key is staying active but if you will be doing a lot of siteseeing you usually spend a good amount of time on your feet!!
Good luck and ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!!
losingwithmedifast
Newbie - #30 Club

Postby LiLYipper » July 17th, 2006, 2:02 pm

I don't have any words of wisdom for your vacation...if it's any help...the food in Scotland ain't that grand ;)

Just wondering where in Wisconsin you're going...?
LiLYipper
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby alpha femme » July 17th, 2006, 2:18 pm

i was going to say the same thing, lilyipper.
the food is nothing you will want to over-indulge in.
the ales, beers, and single-malts, however... well, that's probably just me.
have fun! don't worry so much. this is a lifestyle change, not just a "diet."

:lol: if you feel like binging, sidle up to a nice serving of haggis or "black pudding." that will keep you in check. you're going to be doing a hell of a lot of walking, anyway, and that will help. have fun!
alpha femme
Preferred member

Return to The Weight Room