Down 6# and Scared

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Down 6# and Scared

Postby famille_huggins » May 31st, 2006, 3:52 pm

Hey there -- I've been a board lurker for a little while. I thought it was time to post because I need some accountability.

I began Medifast 9 days ago, and quite honestly, I'm struggling. I'm not struggling with the products -- they're surprisingly good. I'm not struggling with being hungry, because surprisingly I feel full. I had read that on here before I began and was skeptical, but I am amazed at truly how easy this program has been. This is my problem:

After 5 days on the program, I had already lost 11.5 pounds (have about 115 pounds to lose in total). It was my first time to weigh after beginning the program, and I was so shocked at such a dramatic result, I began sabotaging my early success. I spend Saturday, Sunday and Monday off program picking and snacking and sneaking food, knowing I was deliberately ruining what I had already achieved and feeling too afraid to stop. Finally today I'm back on target with my supplements, but I weighed in this morning, and my weekend binge left me 5.5 pounds back up. I'm at 6 pounds lost still, which I guess is respectable for 9 days, but I am so concerned about what the future holds.

I have always used food and weight gain as a protective measure stemming from some abuse during my childhood, and have been overweight for as long as I can remember. I do not have a thin day to look back on and remember what that felt like. Weight has always been an issue for me -- my wall of safety -- and quite honestly, if my doctor had not recently advised me of some health concerns that will be exacerbated by remaining overweight, I would have no interest in losing the pounds. I am afraid of being thin, though I know I have to lose the weight to live a life with quality. I am afraid of the attention that comes when the weight is lost and I'm thin.

I know this has to sound so crazy, but I know I cannot be totally alone. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there with similar issues either in the process of losing the weight, or who has reached their goal. I would love some input on how long it took you to feel o.k. about not hiding behind weight, and how you got to that point. I really must lose the weight and am so afraid. I could relly use some support...

Thanks for letting me be a freak! :)
famille_huggins

Postby Aerie » May 31st, 2006, 4:26 pm

You are NOT alone here. Everyone struggles. That's why we are here. Come here and share and lean and learn and eventually you will triumph. I'm just a newbie myself and also have used my weight as a barrier. I think you will find someone here with even more in common with you than you might guess. All I can say is Never, never, never give up.
Aerie
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Adriana » May 31st, 2006, 6:30 pm

Welcome to medifast. I've been doiing medifast for a week now and i've seen great results so far. I don't want to be thin, I just want to feel and look healthy. I want to stop feeling sleepy, lazy, and sorry for myself. I want to lose weight to where i can feel confident about myself. That doesn't mean I want to be a size 5 or 10. I'll be fine at a size 16. Continue doing MF and be healthy with us. Let us know how you are feeling and feel free to ask any questions here. Everyone here is more than happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have. Good luck to you
Adriana
250/225/199
Start date 5/24/06
Adriana
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby DogMa » June 1st, 2006, 10:58 am

I'm sure many of us have issues like that. I've hidden behind my weight before, and while I love the compliments as I lose, I AM sometimes uncomfortable with the attention it brings. Or I was, the first time I lost the weight. It took a long time to get over that and to get to a place where I was ready to lose the weight again. There are books out there to help, and you might even need to talk to a professional about your fears.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby ~*~Alexis~*~ » June 1st, 2006, 2:05 pm

Honestly, I believe that almost all severely overweight people are all hiding in there somewhere. I KNOW I used food as a comfort and a way to keep away the attention I thought would always let me down. It didn't help that my parents were also overweight, and the older I got the more defiant about my weight I became.
What might help you is to realize is that you dont' have to be THIN. You can just be healthy and comfortable and that's more than enough. If you lose enough to make your doctor happy you can stop. But I have a feeling once you get there you'll want to continue.
Don't stress. It's not going to happen overnight and you'll grow as a person as your body becomes healthy.
By no means do you have to freak yourself out with the idea of "thinness", just take it one day at a time.
If I'd stuck with it then, I'd be done by now....Do not let this "now" become another "then"
~*~Alexis~*~
Newbie - #10 Club

Postby Lizabette » June 1st, 2006, 5:04 pm

WELCOME FAMILE, Image

You have come to the right place to receive all the help and support you need to be successful.

ADRIANA said it so well,"I don't want to be thin, I just want to feel and look healthy. I want to stop feeling sleepy, lazy, and sorry for myself. I want to lose weight to where i can feel confident about myself.

Really that is what we all want. Good health is the most important gift we can give ourselves. None of us would be here if we did not have some of the same issues that you have spoken about.

Jump into MF with all that is within you and you will be so amazed at what will happen to you physically, spiritually and mentally.

We are so glad you are here with us.

:heart:
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby famille_huggins » June 1st, 2006, 7:32 pm

Thanks for the replies -- they are quite encouraging! I guess it's my perspective that needs to be altered -- it IS about losing enough to be considered healthy, not about thinness. I have a followup with my physician in 2 months and a week, and maybe by then he'll be able to give a more accurate number for the scale instead of the vague "lose the weight" that seems so daunting and scary.

I appreciate the support, the absence of judgement, and the knowledge that I can come back here any time I need to.

Thanks again!
famille_huggins
famille_huggins

Postby DogMa » June 1st, 2006, 7:58 pm

No judging here. I think we all have our own share of body-image and weight issues, or we wouldn't BE here!!

Good luck to you, and please do come back!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to The Weight Room