oksoonergirl 26's journey to a better a life

1 Thread per registered User.

Re: oksoonergirl 26's journey to a better a life

Postby DogMa » January 11th, 2010, 4:19 pm

I bet I'm slower than you are!! And I know I can't run anywhere near as long as you can, even after all this time (and even if my leg were healthy).
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby oksoonergirl26 » January 15th, 2010, 7:20 pm

I have been bad, bad, today...I am running a 15K on Sunday and I have to get finished quickly so I can watch the Cowboys game! Somewhere during my training for this half marathon I realized that I really hate exercising and I am so tired of training. I just want to work out enough to lose weight and then figure out how to maintain it. This has been ridiculous I don't know how runners and athletes do it. I think that I tried to train too hard and too quickly. If we would have picked a later half marathon it wouldn't have been so much stress. The extra exercise also made me too. I have decided that when I get to 128 that is it-I am done. So I need to lose about 25 more and I am there. I bought a pair of size 8s on Wednesday and they weren't even hard to get into. It made me happy. I know that running sheds the weight the fastest, but the fitter I am the harder I have to go. I enjoyed the Zumba class and spin class, so I think that is what I will use as maintenance. I will continue to run, but probably only 4-6 miles at a time instead of these ridiculous lengths of 8-12 miles. It takes too much out of my life, I told one of my friends at the gym we should be paying rent, because we spend more time there than at our house.
3/18/09
228/175/125
oksoonergirl26

Postby katieb920 » January 16th, 2010, 6:53 am

Wow I never even realized how much you ran. That is a lot. How long does that take you. Are you still doing Full Medifast while you train. I would love to Run. I always say that when I get to a certain point I will. But I never did.

Heres a thought athletes get paid to run. You dont. Just like the biggest loser. I would never be able to do it on my own like they do on the show. But the people on the show are looking at that 250,000

I am really inspired by you. I want to run.
Katie
katieb920
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby oksoonergirl26 » January 16th, 2010, 10:39 am

I have only been running those great lengths for the last 8 weeks, but before that I would try to get about 18 miles a week in. I never wanted to run and it took me a long time to get to the point where I could, but I do sort of enjoy it. I tried to do the full program Katie, but at one point I was burning too much and I had to add carbs and more protein back to the diet because I wanted to eat everything. Of course Thanksgiving and Christmas also occurred which would be why I haven't lost as much these last two months as I should have. My recommendation is to just start walking. My first goal was to walk a mile in under 20 mins, then 18 and then 16, eventually it became easier to jog for a little bit and walk. I would try to jog for 30 seconds and walk 3 minutes, and just build on that. I started exercising in April and by Memorial day I could jog for about 3 or 4 minutes at time, but I would have to recover for that same amount of time. I just concentrated on increasing the amount of jog and decreasing the amount of walk. It took me until October to be able to jog an entire mile without stopping to walk. In late November I was able to jog 3.1 miles without stopping and since then I have done 6, 7, and 8 without stopping, but I can't go over that distance. I never realized how much my weight was affecting how I exercised. The more I lost the easier it became to move my body, so wait a little bit until you lose some more. I really started noticing the difference when I had lost that first 20.
3/18/09
228/175/125
oksoonergirl26

Postby Joy » January 16th, 2010, 12:42 pm

Here is hoping a little quiet time runs you way and you can enjoy it.
regards,
joy
Joy
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby oksoonergirl26 » January 17th, 2010, 1:23 pm

Thanks Joy! I did the 15K today (the course registered at 9.4 miles) and I did it in one hour thirty-seven minutes and fifty-five seconds! I never deliberately walked, I only stopped long enough to drink water at the aid stations. I was really excited and proud of myself. I am still not sure how well I will do at the half marathon next weekend because about mile 8 I wanted to stop and walk. I knew that if I did stop, I would never stop jogging again. So, here's a to pretty big milestone for me! I didn't weigh this morning and I have consumed about 2 liters of water and sports drinks since then-not too mention some bread for refueling. I actually got 2nd in my category. I registered for the "Athena" division which is for women over 150 pounds! However, my husband wasn't feeling well so we didn't stay for the awards and I had no idea that I had placed until we got home and saw the times.
3/18/09
228/175/125
oksoonergirl26

Postby DogMa » January 17th, 2010, 5:28 pm

Wow! That's amazing and congrats on finishing AND getting second place.

I know what you mean about not jogging again once you start walking. It's SO hard to speed up again once I slow down. Not that I can even imagine running so many miles. Although I'm hoping that my leg will be healed soon and I can do the 5K at the Cowtown Marathon next month. I already missed the cheap registration, so I figure now I can wait a few weeks before I decide.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby bikipatra » January 18th, 2010, 7:27 am

Congrats!!! 2nd place is marvelous!!!
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Joy » January 18th, 2010, 12:21 pm

So glad for you accomplishmet and time for peace.
joy
Last edited by Joy on January 20th, 2010, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joy

Postby katesmom » January 19th, 2010, 6:41 pm

HURRAY !! CONGRATS !!

I am in awe of you !
I can't wait to be able to run one day !

FABULOUS !! :cleader: :cheers:
356/331/150
Started 7/24/10
Can't wait to WIN this race !!
katesmom
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby DogMa » January 20th, 2010, 10:46 am

Good luck at the race this weekend!! I'd say "break a leg," but that doesn't seem right. :lol:

I managed to run 1-mile intervals today, which is the best I've done since the injury. But I'm paying for it now, so I have an appt with our new sports-medicine doc Monday. He's from the Cleveland Clinic, and apparently has treated a lot of pro athletes and several Olympians. So we'll see how he does with probably the least athletic "athlete" he's ever treated.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby oksoonergirl26 » January 21st, 2010, 5:48 pm

I hope he can help you, so you can get back up to speed! I am taking off this week from plan so I can be sure to have enough fuel for the race on Sunday. I am so ready to have this out of my way. For the one I am running next month, I am not training that hard. On Tuesday the 26th I will be back on until I hit 125! Hope everyone is well.
3/18/09
228/175/125
oksoonergirl26

Postby oksoonergirl26 » January 21st, 2010, 6:15 pm

Just something I am irritated about. When I started Medifast two of my friends were doing it with me, since then they have both gotten pregnant and pretty much eat whatever they want. I watched one scarf down two quarter pounders with cheese, large fries, and an ice cream. I just don't understand, yes you are pregnant, but do you really need to eat like a cow? I am absolutely terrified of gaining weight when I get pregnant, because I have worked very very hard to get to this point, is it wrong of me to judge them that harshly? I gained 80 pounds the first time I was pregnant (partially because of gestational diabetes and toxiema and the other part from eating whatever I wanted) and it has taken me 14 years to lose about 50 of the original baby weight. I just can't believe that one of the lost 50 pounds on MF and has gained 25 of it back and she is only in her fifth month! The other friend only lost 35, but she is still losing because she is still sick, so I am not so aggravated with her because she needs to eat something she can keep down at first. They are pretty smug about it too, they talk about how good it feels not eat the bars or shakes-it makes me want to scream at them. Sorry, just needed to rant about it for a little bit. Then they have the nerve to tell me that, when you get pregnant you will start eating bad again too. WRONG WRONG, I refuse to let my body get out of control again. I will eat right, but I will not overeat and gain weight again. I refuse.
3/18/09
228/175/125
oksoonergirl26

Postby Joy » January 21st, 2010, 7:19 pm

I think it is so healthy for you to vent and what better place than here, where we are all working on the same issue together. I think you will turn out to be a mentor for these two friends sadly when they are back on program with 60 pounds of baby weight to loose.

regards,
joy
Joy

Postby DogMa » January 22nd, 2010, 9:50 am

Some women use pregnancy as an excuse to pig out like that, but they'll pay for it after the babies are born. We had two women at work pregnant recently (both had their babies around Christmas). Both are runners and very fit and healthy, and both watched what they ate even while they were pregnant. They ate more than normal and gave in to some cravings, but in general they still stuck with healthful foods. Neither of 'em gained much baby weight; one was in here two weeks after giving birth and looked just the way she did before she got pregnant. (And both asked for and got jogging strollers at their baby showers.)
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

PreviousNext

Return to My Journal