My journey begins...

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

My journey begins...

Postby gettinthinny » April 13th, 2006, 1:24 am

Hi everyone,

What an awesome group! I've been reading for a few days and am really amazed by the support here. I'm so thankful to have found you guys!

My name is Deb, I'm 52 and need to lose 110 pounds.

I ordered my stuff last Friday and it just came yesterday. So, today is my first day. I'm a little nervous but seeing the success here really encourages me that I can do this.

I have a question... I read that you should have something within 30 minutes of getting up. I'm a weird sleeper and get up usually between 3-4. I don't go to bed until 10ish, so that makes a long day. That would be 6 mf meals plus the l&g. 4, 7, 10. 1, 4, 7, 10. But then I'm eating too much, right? What's the best way to handle this until (hopefully) my sleeping straightens out? (I'm hoping with weight loss and exercise I'll sleep better). Any ideas?

Thanks for your help and congrats to all you losers!
gettinthinny
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby falisamarie » April 13th, 2006, 5:34 am

Welcome to the family! My advice is basically to eat every 3 hours while you are awake. This may mean you having more meals but it will keep you metabolism going. That being said it is very important to get enough sleep so hopefully Medifast will help you sleep better. Until you are sleeping better though I would eat every 3 hours while awake.

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Re: My journey begins...

Postby Lizabette » April 13th, 2006, 6:20 am

Hi DEB and WELCOME!

Don't worry, we're here to tell you "you can do this!" :yes:

Just read and reread the Quick Start book. Important: You will want to watch about the 'exercise' part and wait awhile before you begin this. :weightlift:

You will have lots of support and help on this forum so take advantage of that and post often! :puter:

Happy First Day! :lol:

Lizabette
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Trixie » April 13th, 2006, 6:51 am

Welcome Deb! I'm glad you found us!
2007 Start Date: 01/02/2007
Trixie
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Shana » April 13th, 2006, 7:21 am

Welcome Deb!
I can't give you diffinitive information on how often to eat when you're up that long, but perhaps Nancy or another Health Advisor will be able to chime in & give you an official ruling :)
I'm glad you found the forum - it is one of the most supportive places you'll find!

Start Date: Thursday April 6th, 2006
Age 27
Height 5'2 (and 1/4, thank you very much!)
Shana
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » April 13th, 2006, 8:08 am

Hi, Deb ~

:byebye: Welcome to you! It will be fun for you as you go through your Mediboxes and plan your meals. Many newbies get 7 ZipLok bags, label each one with a day of the week and put all their packets for each day into the appropriate ZipLok - planning ahead is one of the keys to success.

Sleep or rest is also an important part of our program - our body makes a shift from burning the readily available carbohydrates from regular eating styles to burning our stored fat and converting it to energy and this requires that we rest and sleep adequately and drink plenty of :water: water.

Many overweight people do not sleep well - :felix: many of us have sleep apnea, joint aches and pains, backaches, gastric reflux, depression, etc. and our sleep is often disturbed. As we lose weight, many of these things are often relieved. :lol: That's a good thing!

Our :bouncie: energy level also increases and adding :weightlift: exercise beginning the fourth week helps to tone and firm the old bod, it also helps to displace :redhead: stress and also helps to improve our sense of well-being and may enhance our :snooze: sleep. :snooze:

With that said, now I will get to the heart of your questions -

Yes, we do need to eat within the first hour of getting up and we do eat every three hours.

Yes, the schedule you designed would be correct. When people work longer hours, they need more food. Our food is our fuel; it is what keeps us putzing along. Imagine a car traveling a particular distance over the course of a day. If it is on the road, it will need fuel for the length of time it is traveling. It will need more fuel if it travels farther. That is the way it is with us, too. When we are on the go for longer periods, we need the 6th packet.

Remember, all of our Medipackets are packed with balanced nutritious food - our body will not store it but use it when we eat every three hours and eat just what is prescribed but when we add extras, weight loss slows down, energy levels decrease, hunger and then the :twisted: dreaded cravings return....

You're gonna do just fine - I can tell because you are reading and researching, thinking things through and asking questions - people who take control of their schedule and consciously plan what they will :scratchhead: eat, and :eat: eat only what is prescribed have great success on our program. :clap:

Drink lots and lots of :water: water today, Deb. :secret: Hope ya have lots of potty paper in stock!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby supermom » April 13th, 2006, 9:05 am

Hey there!! Glad to have you. Like you, I found the forum and stayed on it for a couple weeks before I ordered. The people are great and you are going to love it here..Good Luck to you!! :mrgreen:
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby gettinthinny » April 13th, 2006, 9:06 am

Thanks everyone! It's really going great so far. About the time my tummy rumbles, it's time for another "fix".

Nancy, lol... I think I may need to run get some more potty paper. I could tell 30 minutes after my first drink that I would join the "Princess pee alot" kingdom! (I forget who had that little image but I had to laugh!) I'll keepa guzzling that water!

This forum is amazing. I have seen a lot of forums but the support here beats any I've seen. Thank you Nancy & Terry for providing it! :hug:

Can't wait to join those numbers clubs! Thanks for your vote of confidence in me. I am determined to follow it to the letter. Wow, it's exciting to think how different we all will be in a few months!! Even weeks!

:cleader:
deb

Started 04/13/06
5'10"
gettinthinny
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » April 13th, 2006, 2:24 pm

Dear Gettin' ~

You are already thinner! :bouncie: With each :beerbeer: shake we take, we are three hours closer to our goal!

:hmmm: I am going to make a suggestion here - since you are having 6 packets to provide your thinnin' self with the fuel you need for your long days, I would probably choose to have a shake.

I know some of you are :scratchhead: wondering about this so I will try to tell you why I'd go that route.

Our protocol indicates you may have any combination of meal replacement products per day with the exception that we may have a maximum of one bar per day.

BTW, since there are quite a few newbies on board, you do not HAVE to have a bar every day. I had maybe 6 bars during my entire 7 month weight loss trek. I had them when we were on a three week vacation in Kauai and I was very active. I had them under the watchful eye of others.

I know me best.

I have a problem. :shock:

Hi. :wave:
My name is Nancy.
I am a foodie. :oops:
:twisted: I cannot be trusted with a box of bars. :help:

Only you know you best.

If you can handle a bar a day, :thumbsup: go for it. They are higher in carbs and calories, that's why you are limited to one a day during the weight loss phase.

After that interruption, I continue...

The Medifast 55 shakes have 90 calories; the Medifast 70 shakes have 100 cals per shake. There is not much of a difference among the meal replacements in terms of calories and carbs but the shakes are lower than some of the other products and yet they are higher in soy content (some products are soy- free) and the soy gives us the staying power some of us need. It is a natural appetite suppressant.

With that said, if a person had 5 packets of Pudding at 110 calories and 15 carbs, their daily intake would be 550 calories/ 75 carbs; if you have 5 shakes = 450 calories/65 carbs.

The Lean and Green meal adds more calories and carbs to the daily intake and also whatever snacks a person has will also increase the total intake.

1 packet of Medifast MultiGrain Crackers has 50 calories and 12 carbs The Garden Vegetable have 60 calories/12 carbs.

This is my personal opinion, others may disagree with me but the balance of the protein and carbs in the shakes seems to keep me from :shades: peeking in the cupboards and cooling the kitchen (I open the refrigerator door less often!)

We know that you are going to have an excellent weight loss journey with us, Gettinthinny. Eventually the :runner: trips to the toidy slow down.

Eventually.

Maybe.
:mrgreen:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Hi

Postby dede4wd » April 13th, 2006, 9:02 pm

Hi Deb!

I'm a little late welcoming you, but I just wanted to say HI! You're way better off than me because I found this forum way after I started! Ask us anything you need and we'll be here!

My sleeping evened out within 3 weeks of starting the program. My problem was the opposite of yours though, I slept too much! My body started regulating itself pretty quickly and I was getting darned near 8 hours on the dot (minus the middle of the night princess pee a lot meetings!) I now sleep through the night (without peeing, yay!)

I just wanted to say welcome and I know you're going to do GREAT!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Arklahoma » April 13th, 2006, 11:43 pm

Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Come on in.