Mike

1 Thread per registered User.

Postby Mike » October 8th, 2006, 9:53 pm

Glad to be back...
Mom's much better...
School is still crazy. I gave up my prep period for an extra class (with an additional 20% pay), so I have extra preparation to do after work now too.
I am just really excited about TSFL and whats coming....
As for B-days.... its the big 37 next month for me. I CAN wait... lol. :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Mike » October 19th, 2006, 10:11 pm

As the craziness of life continues, I remind myself of a few things that I have learned in the past few days, weeks, months, years.
I will be successful.
I will continue to lose weight.
I am loved by many, most importantly my wife.
I love my wife dearly.
Its not worth it it stress over 13-14 year olds.
I shant let that stress make me want to eat what I shouldn't
Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

With that, I change my ticker, because I have been losing these past two weeks, and am determined to keep it going.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby Diana » October 21st, 2006, 9:32 am

These are good affirmations, honey!!

I'm so proud of you and the drive you have. You are so much healthier than when I met you -- heck, than you were 5 years ago!

I love you adoringly, too, and I'm proud to be your wife. :smooch:
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Mike » October 26th, 2006, 2:31 pm

So, I've been losing wayyyyy tooo sloowwwllyyyy for my taste for the past couple of months. :x
I think that in all of the stress of work, and life, and my own temptations have made me lose sight of my goal. :shock:
Not to mention the fact that my buddy TonyR has done so fabulously. :D He has lost twice the amount that I have in less time than I have been on the program. :oops:
I know not to compare my success with others, but its hard not to when you know that you haven't done what you need to do. :roll:
I know I have posted before about rededicating myself to this program, and when I posted those, I meant it. Then life happened again and I made bad choices. :cry:
I think that what I need to do is, as I have had to do when I became truly serious about losing weight.... be focused on that all of the time, and remember why I am doing this in the first place.:mrgreen:

If anybody out there actually reads my journal, and wants to give me some hints, please do. I am not above listening to others, and utilizing input. ;)
I am looking forward to reaching my goal, for now that is 240 lbs. I have alot of excess skin that will not tighten up no matter what I do, and I figure, based on speaking with people who have had skin removal done, that I have about 20 extra lbs of the stuff.
So, that's 45 lbs left to go.

So, here is to the new plan, Medifast, Take Shape For Life, and to all of my friends and family who support me.
:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby casma500 » October 26th, 2006, 4:48 pm

Hey Mike!

I'm not sure if I can be of any help or not, as I am a "newbie" but am TOTALLY stoked about this product and what it can do. I have NEVER used anything like this, and nothing else has worked like this for me before. Do you remember that feeling, from the beginning?? Maybe your Diana can help you remember! :)

Anyway, one of my big things for me is to have something easy and accessible. On the weekend, I sat down and created a ziplock for each day, and then put the day's items in it (wrote the name with a marker on outside). Then I got a bigger ziplock (2.5 gallon) and put them all in there, with my shakers, soup containers (so they can "stew" overnight or during the day) and 2 bottles of water. Then I put a couple of extra packets of food in -- 1) to have on hand incase the 5 weren't enough (it is so much better to have an xtra MF than a candybar, or whatever) and 2) if I wasn't in the mood for what I had in that day's packet, then I had some of my "favs".

Then I had all the week's stuff right there together -- NO EXCUSES!!! I had the food, the water, and the container to make it in! That is a key item for me, because if I can't do it easily while at work, it doesn't matter.

Planning ahead is HUGE part of this working (for me, anyway). I've already asked about what to eat out as well, as we have a "birthday" lunch at work next week and I was panicking!

Anyway, for what it's worth, that's what helping me right now ~ I'm sure there will be TONS more responses!

Good luck, and YOU CAN DO IT!!!
~ Be Yourself -- Everyone Else is Already Taken ~
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Diana » October 26th, 2006, 7:43 pm

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I love you. Someone said something about failure isn't getting knocked down, it's refusing to get back up.

There are some very practical things we can do, and you're on the right track. I think a key, given you're a visual kind a guy, might be to have reminders around for you/us -- bathroom mirror, steering wheel, 'fridge (of course) -- and perhaps a motto or an affirmation (prayer? Bible verse? something) we can keep ready on our tongues.

AND we can't discount the lack of exercise. We both know that's a huge part of Tony and Sharon's lifestyle that has helped spur on his success. Not to out us completely, but here we are. We've got to start walking regularly.

The other shoe, honey, is that you are healthier now than you ever have been in your life. You weigh less than you did 25 years and several vertical inches ago. I can understand the lesser sense of urgency this might elicit.

We are stronger together. You've solidly established your goal and determined why it's enduringly important. Keep it before you at all times, as you've said. Write it down. Post it. Talk about it continually. I know better than to be your drill sargent, but I am and always will be your loudest cheerleader. We'll get there; I promise.

With all my love and support,
Your azar
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana

Postby Serendipity » October 27th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Not that I can even pretend to know better for you than your beautiful wife, but I just wanted to suggest to you that you really dig in and make your program simple for awhile.

I know you have posted that the variety makes you stick to it, but the variety can also cause problems because it's totally impossible to measure the l&g in some of those recipes. If you aren't losing fast enough to suite, maybe that is one area that can be causing some of the problems.

When we eat out and when we experiment with recipes, we are pusing the envelope. I do both occasionally....well, I eat out quite a bit, lol....but when I'm home, I am very strict with my measuring and weighing....

Like my mom used to tell my dad all the time - K.I.S.S.

Note: Above is just my very own humble and personal opinion.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Mike » October 31st, 2006, 1:10 pm

It must be working, because I am out of the 280's. Yea!! :kool:
Let's just keep the ticker moving... :dance:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby Mike » November 16th, 2006, 9:28 am

Life.... it gets hectic. Diana and I had a wonderful time at Redford's Sundance Resort in Utah, and then last weekend in Southern California. I for one am glad to be home for a while.
With the holidays coming, we are just staying home and enjoying the time.
We are both losing okay, and hope that the track continues. I for one am encouraged by Diana's progress, and she will be in the 100# club by years end.
I would love to be at the 200# overall point by then. I know its possible, I just gotta be good and stick with the plan.
Right now she is at about 87 lbs, and I am at 182 overall. Thats 67 for me with Medifast.
We are also encouraged by more people joining us on thiks journey, and the fact that some of those people are joining TSFL as Health Coaches.
We look forward to the new year and all of the possibilities out there of even more people getting healthy.
Praise God for leading us (through Dayna and Terry and Nancy) to this wonderful method of leading to optimal health.
:D

And by the way... anybody who cares to read this.... my birthday is Monday :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby Mike » November 25th, 2006, 12:12 pm

Well, here we are. Its the Saturday after Thanksgiving. :thanksgiving: What a nice holiday, and week off it has been. We spent alot of the week taking things easy. My birthday was Monday :birthday: and we took some family out to Tony Romas for ribs. :eat: Went to see Happy Feet (it was pretty good, and the animation was awesome).:yay: , as well as doing some clothes shopping (because thats what happens on :cheermed: )
Had a nice gathering here at the McClelland Lookout, not overdoing anything. We chose to have one starchy food that we like (which we did). :bib: I made stuffing, Di made her famous Yams with Apples. The turkey was great (Di) :turkey: I do think the big hit was of course the "desserts" that Di's mom brought... the SF Green Jello salad and the SF Pumpkin Pudding (sprinkled with Apple/Cinn soy crisps).:eat:
We did the crazy shopping thing (Thursday night at CompUSA for Bluetooth headsets - dodging the punches and flailing arms :lightsword: , then Friday at 4 AM to BestBuy for the Projector - it was freezing outside, so I had to move a bit to keep warm :sheepjump: ). Procured all intended products there. :woohoo: Then off to Linens and Things by 6AM for some actually needed household items. :thumbig: Ending of course, with a quick stop at Mervyn's because Di is in desperate need of smaller clothes :cleader:
Luckily for me, when I got on the scale this morning... good news.... no gain. :bananadance:
I am happy to have survived this holiday, and I think I can make it through anything after this experience. :bravo:
Its been a good week for us, and heres to an even better holiday season. :cheers: :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby Mike » December 8th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Things have definitely stalled for me here. :felix: I know its my own fault. I have fallen back into that mindtrap that I tend towards. :aarggh:

I have a degree in Biology, which means that I studied nutrition and biological molecules, and how they interact. :pagesturn: Heck, I teach the stuff as it is. That doesn't mean that I don't still struggle with my own desires to eat all of that great tasting stuff eventhough I don't need it. :hammerhead:

I worked my way up to 460 lbs that way. Then I decided to have weight loss surgery. I thought it was my last shot, and had never heard of Medifast :dunno: (and at the time, I believe it was still the 6 supplement plan at the time)

I lost 55 lbs under Dr. orders and his diet plan, which was basically a mini fast using a high protein shake (55 grams protein) twice a day and a small L&G. :goofyjump:

I had the surgery and lost another 105 lbs, then I slipped back into my old habits. Over the next year and a half, I slowly added on 45 lbs that I had worked so hard to lose. :stickwack:

I knew it was happening, but I kept making excuses to myself. I knew what I had to do, but doing it is another thing. :scratch: I'm not someone who goes hog wild :pigsfly: (no pun intended). I don't eat lots of sugary foods. I am a carbaholic though. I love starchy foods. Its my downfall. I struggle with it everyday. I struggle with in on Medifast, I make the same excuses. I'll just miss a supplement and have a "little extra" of this or that. :table:
I haven't gone the other way, yet. I still struggle with the same 5 lbs, then I'll lose it, and then struggle with the next 5 lbs for a month or so.
This program is so great, I lost 60 lbs faster than I ever thought that I could have before (without WLS), and did it without feeling like I am starving myself. :dooh:

So, where am I now. I am still struggling everyday. Thankfully I have a huge support structure.... Di, my friends, my family, Terry and Nancy, and all of you here. :yourock:

We all struggle, we all fall a bit, but we all get back up and get back in there. As the good book says "For all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God" - Romans 3:23. :pagesturn:

Does this relate to weight. Of course it does. Our bodies are to be a holy temple that Christ indwells, I am to make sure that this temple is clean and when I take stuff into it that isn't, then I am in essence, sinning. It is my job to make sure that what I do with my body is glorifying to God. :bow:

So, where to go from here.... well, I've decided that one of my problems is that when I have the freedom to have too many choices, I tend to make the wrong ones. So, I am going to limit my choices. I just recently met with my doctor, and my labs are fabulous, so the diet is helping. :bravo: So, I am going to focus on just Medifast supplements for my meals. I'm not going to do the 6-0 plan, thats too little for me, but I figure since the 5-1 plan provides around 900-1100 calories a day, then I would do well on a plan that provides between 800-900 calories. Thats between 7-9 supplements a day, depending on what I have. :cheermed: So, thats what I am going to do. I have let my doctor know and he says it sounds okay, just if I start to not feel right, then switch back for a while, and let him know. :thumbig:

Di has been feeling like she has slowed more than she wants to, and wants to do something similar, so we are doing this together. This helps. :stroll:

So, here is to a new start, a new direction, and preparing for a new year.
I wish everyone the best, and hopefully, you will all be seeing less of me in the near future. :kool:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby mellowmom » December 8th, 2006, 7:03 pm

Hang in there Mike. Don't know if it's the time of the year or what, but a lot of us have had "difficulties" recently.

Your instincts are right on, that you just need to get back on plan and leave yourself very little "wiggle room" when it comes to eating off plan.

You've got a great support system here on this board and of course your lovely wife, Di. You're a role model for all of us here on the board and inspire us with what you've been able to achieve so far.

Keep shakin'

Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom

Postby bikipatra » December 8th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Thanks so much for sharing, Mike. Just remember, God is ALL or he's nothing. And if he created broccoli he also created donuts.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » December 8th, 2006, 11:59 pm

I can't add anything to this except that your re-commitment is commendable! I can totally relate to your post! I wish you and Di all the luck I can muster! We'll be here to talk! I'm so glad you talked it out with your doc and I am behind you 100%

Don't underestimate the (immense) value in the lessons you are learning at the moment. They will serve you *very* well when you are back ON and rocking and have a little different perspective on this particular point in your journey (and remember, it is just a point, a phase (that you can gain control over and power to move through), you are still on the journey. You have not ended nor fallen off of that -- and really, how could you ?).

Plus what Karli said about gaining perspective to help your clients fight the fight. Having struggled myself, I feel I am much better equipped to deal with the struggles of my clients than when I was 100% compliant and not struggling!

I'm happy for you!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby Karli » December 9th, 2006, 12:40 am

Great posts, Carmel and Biki !! I completely agree :).

Mike, I very much appreciate your honesty because it shows a very genuine and heartfelt commitment to everything you believe in; God, health, yourself, your marriage. It is evident and obvoius that you want to keep growing and getting stronger in your ability to handle the monsters that try to pull you down. No matter what else happens, if you have that commitment, it will see you through. It may be rocky at times, as you know, but if you keep pushing toward a new phase of living your commitment, you will get there (you ARE getting there right now !).

Just think how happy you will be, and how relieved, as you move past this 5 pounds on, 5 pounds off thing ! And you will !! You are doing it !! And, no, you are not alone. We are all here in addition to everyone else you mentioned. Keep fighting, keep going, hang in there and you will get to the other side. And we will all be cheering you on, rooting for you, and praying for you all the way through.

Just a little thought. Remember that it is easier once you are on - ON-- the waffling gets much less. But before you get to the on ON phase, it seems difficult and as though you will have the same fight forever. But you won't. Being on is easier than what you are doing right now, and it is actually a lot easier than sliding backward, too. Take the easy route :mrgreen: and be ON.

Take care,
Karli
Karli

PreviousNext

Return to My Journal