To Cheat or not to Cheat...A Poll

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Have you ever "cheated" in order to jumpstart your weight loss off of a plateau?

Poll ended at April 28th, 2006, 8:22 am

Yes, and it worked!
36%
Yes, and it didn't work.
No votes
Yes, and it did more harm than good.
6%
No, but I've thought about it.
12%
No, Uhuh, nope, no way....not gonna go there...
45%

Total votes : 33

Postby Becky » April 21st, 2006, 8:32 pm

Hi Carmel- I'm glad you have reevaluated what you have been doing & have figured out a few things to try differently, rather than cheating to get off the plateau. I'm proud of you for asking for advice & encouragement, rather than sneaking off & trying it & finding out later!

I have done the program 2 ways. The first time around, a couple of years ago, I was a cheater. I would plateau & think... hm... maybe if I eat XXXX I will lose a few... that must be what my body needs! Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But I was constantly in that hungry & craving state, doing those first 3 days of the program OVER & OVER where I was constantly miserable, wondering if I could get through it & make it to my goal.

Now after having my baby & starting over on MF, this time around I have not cheated once. I have had several plateaus of about 13 days where I either lost nothing, or only 1 pound. I stuck it out & after getting through it, I finally dropped 4 or 5 pounds. I have not been hungry, I have not craved anything really. I have found that I have to be in the right state of mind to do well on the program. And I never know when I'm going to be in it. So... right now I'm in it, so I'm sticking with it to the end, with no cheating. The first time around, I was in it a couple of times, but blew it & then couldn't get back into it again. I am not risking it this time!

I am a person who can't have all the free foods & snacks, and cannot have even the tiniest cheat, or I won't lose at all for the week. So, no snacks for me (just an occasional serving of SF jello or cracker packet every couple of weeks). I have figured out what works best for me & stick to it. Also, the more water I drink, the faster the weight comes off.

Keep up the good work--you've lost alot in a short amount of time!
Becky (Pettit) Renfro
Certified Health Advisor
Becky
Trusted Member - #70 Club

Re: To Cheat or not to Cheat...A Poll

Postby Lizabette » April 21st, 2006, 9:05 pm

CARMEL,

I appreciate your bringing up this question of cheating! I determined in the beginning that I would not cheat or eat off the program...and I have stayed true to that. However, I have eaten the allowed snacks, because I could! And because I am a "senior" I can be on a more lenient plan, but I seldom take advantage of all that I could have.

Having said that, I have had some slow days and weeks. The suggestions made on this thread have really made me braver to try re-arranging my foods, eliminate some allowable snacks, etc. And even having an extra meal would be permissible as has been suggested.

Tell you the truth I am very hesitant to do that, for fear my loss would be even slower, but it might just be the opposite. I think I'll try it!

So, no, I would definitely vote not to cheat, but to do as others have suggested. There a lot of things we can do to shake things up, and I think I will try some of them.

BTW, CARMEL, I just noticed that you have put your picture on your avatar. Wonderful, sweet face and smile. I love it! You have done so great, with over 20 pounds loss in a month. It should be no time before your plateau is history. Please let us know what you do and how you do it!

Thanks again, girl :heart:

Lizabette
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby MomJackieLee » April 22nd, 2006, 12:54 am

I have to say this is always a slippery slope for me. Once I'm off its as if I'm off to the races and I find it hard to get back on plan. This has been my downfall and it's so hard to re-start. So I would stick to plan as much as possible!!!!
MomJackieLee
246/222/160
MomJackieLee
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Arklahoma » April 22nd, 2006, 2:09 pm

Carmel ~ Can't wait to see how you do. Keep us posted!
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Previous

Return to The Weight Room