Belly apron

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Belly apron

Postby Guest » April 19th, 2004, 4:01 pm

I have a question for some of you that have been on Medifast and lost a large amount of weight. I have what they call a large apron of belly fat, gross I know, but if you look at my father's side of the family, I think it must be hereditary. I have never been what one would call thin, ever, but this fat all seems to accummulate mainly in my belly area. I weight approximately 310 pounds right now (gross again). I am wanting to know if any of you have had this same problem, and once you lost a lot of weight, did the apron disappear too, or am I destined to have a bigger pooch than most people?

Silly as my queston may seem, I would appreciate hearing any and all responses. Thanks.

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2004, 6:52 am

I’m afraid that I’m not qualified in any way to address your question, dear Guest, but I did want to wholeheartedly encourage you in your endeavor to develop a healthier lifestyle and, ultimately, to lose weight.

I’d like to gently share with you, though, that it sincerely hurt my heart for you to use the expression “gross”, not just once, but twice within your post. There is absolutely nothing “gross” about the human body--God’s creation--no matter how we abuse it at times. There is nothing wrong with you or any of us that are overweight that cannot be repaired. That’s why we’re ALL here—to repair the damage that we have done to ourselves over the years.

You have stumbled into a wonderful place for support from people who are all in the same boat. Please consider staying with us for the duration.

We need each other.

Landylue

Postby Jeanette » April 20th, 2004, 9:58 am

Well put, Landy!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nite Izes » April 20th, 2004, 10:31 am

I have gained 150 lbs within a 5 year time period and am considered super morbidly obese. Not once did I ever considered my body to look gross or anyone's else either. I have a very large apron and although I feel and appear uncomfortable with myself, I do not feel grossed or disgusted with the way I look. I accept who I am. I do not let the media or society dictate or criticize my body image because it makes it more stressful and feel as thought there is only blame and no solution to weight loss. I am still the same person within whether 120 lbs or 300 lbs. Do not look or speak of yourself as a negativity because of the outside packaging, you are still the same person within. In January 2004, I initially weighed 300 lbs, lost 15 lbs in 3 months on my own, started Medifast and so far lost another 15 lbs in 3 weeks. That is a total of 30 lbs so far.

I have had friends, who have lost weight gradually and at a steady pace and their apron is not noticed as a person who loses weight quickly as in other more dramatic methods such as gastric bypass and the skin just sags. Honestly, it all depends on age, skin tone and genetics.
(303)285/208/140
start date: 3/27/04
BMI=55.4 New BMI= 38.0
WT Loss= -95/-77
GOALS
√ 1st goal= 250 BMI= 45.7
√ 2nd goal=219 BMI= 39.9
3rd goal = 191 BMI= 34.9
4th goal = 163 BMI= 29.8
5th goal = 140 BMI= 25.6
Nite Izes
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby explorthis » April 20th, 2004, 11:10 am

Nite Izes wrote:I do not feel grossed or disgusted with the way I look. I accept who I am. I do not let the media or society dictate or criticize my body image because it makes it more stressful and feel as thought there is only blame and no solution to weight loss. I am still the same person

A-M-E-N

What a breath of fresh air to read this!!!

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

The Apron

Postby Nancy » April 20th, 2004, 5:44 pm

Dear, dear Guest ~

Your question is not silly in any way and I don't think it is unusual either - it’s just that no one has asked it before on the Forum. There are probably others that have been wondering about aprons, too. :?:

I have lost a considerable amount of weight and people are always trying to check out my bod and want to know where the skin went. :shock:

I have a friend that had by-pass surgery, lost about the same amount weight that I lost and then she had a CONSIDERABLE saggy skin situation and ended up having surgery (out of the country, I might add).

I did not have surgery.

I lost 130 pounds. With the Medifast weight loss program and products, one really loses fat not muscle. Our program is safe - it's a medical food and provides the bod with all the nutrients and amino acids it needs. As the fat melts away, the skin clings to the body. Yep, some of it is slightly saggy but my gosh! My neck does not swing when I turn my head! I don't have a turkey wattle! Over time, the skin does indeed tighten up.

We are all products of our heredity, our lifestyle, our environment and our eating and exercising habits so all those things enter into the skin tightening equation to a certain degree. I can't promise you that the apron will disappear but just know that it will be much smaller than it is now!

A healthy :heart: heart and arterial system is really important and in the scheme of things, to me a few jiggles here and there are not a big deal. In fact, it is a vast improvement to the way my belly and other bod parts looked when I weighed 265.

It :D amused me to read that you lost 15 pounds in 3 MONTHS on your own and have already lost 15 pounds in 3 WEEKS! Once a person gets the vision and is committed to the Medifast program, there is nothing else like it in the whole world! What used to take months and months with other programs and gimmicks will now take weeks.

I was rather pudgy when I FINALLY reached the point of saying, "Make Me Thinner!" I started out at 265, began investigating diets, weight loss schemes, by-pass surgery, etc. and in my quest, I lost a total whoppin' 7 pounds in 7 months and then at long last, I found MEDIFAST! Whoopee! While on Medifast, I lost 130 pounds of flab in 7 months and have kept it off for over a year!!

When I get dressed, I do not have to lift up my tummy skin and tuck it into my underdoodies 'cuz the tummy just does not swing! Remember, I am 55 years old - I do NOT have perfect 6-pack abs but I don’t have skin down to my knees either.

I don’t care that I am not a perfect 10! If some wild guy in a suit shows up at my front door and says, “Honey, you’ve been selected for "Extreme Makeover," the limo is out front,” trust me, I'm there, Man! I’m goin’ for the Davinci Veneers, the laser eye correction surgery and have my hair dyed but if I don't get picked, it’s no biggy to me. I think I look pretty good. I’d say, ask the guys that know me personally and have seen me up close but then, NO! Don’t do it! If they don’t concur with Leopard Woman’s self opinion, I’d have to kill them! JK

BTW, there are other postings and response about skin. Just do a search on our site and you’ll find them. I also wrote about excess skin in one of my Newsletters.

PS You’ll soon kiss the upper and mid-200’s good-bye! With every shake you take, you’re on your way to a thinner new you!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Nite Izes » April 21st, 2004, 5:43 pm

oh Nancy

:dooh: losing those 15 lbs in 3 months felt like forever.

:whistle: Using Medifast (and not on complete program, have to do the one with food intake) the next 15 lbs drop off in 3 weeks, so nicely.

:thumbsup: It felt heaven sent. WOOHOO!!
(303)285/208/140
BMI=55.4 New BMI= 38.0
WT Loss= -95/-77
GOALS
√ 2nd goal=219 BMI= 39.9
3rd goal = 191 BMI= 34.9
4th goal = 163 BMI= 29.8
5th goal = 140 BMI= 25.6
Nite Izes

Postby Nancy » April 21st, 2004, 10:11 pm

Dear Nite Izes ~

The Five & One Plan works so well, doesn't it?

The AVERAGE weight loss for women on the 5 & 1 is two to five pounds per week. Even though the company's material says two to four pounds, it is usually about a half a pound a day IF you follow the plan exactly as it is outlined. Weigh your meat portions - Don't just guess or 'eyeball' it and say, "Ooh, that LOOKS like it's ABOUT five ounces." We never really eyeball it correctly and in the weight loss phase you are learning about APPROPRIATE portion sizes, how often to eat and what to eat. If you do Medifast right, Medifast will do right to you! ;)
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Nite Izes » April 22nd, 2004, 4:46 am

hi Nancy,

I do agree 100%. The 5 and 1 plan does work. My MD instructed I cannot do the full liquid program due to medical reasons. Yet, even with the meal intake I still lose weight and have done well. *pat on back*

I purchased a Salter food scale to make sure I do not overdo with my food intake. It calculates the weight and nutritional values of more than 900 preset foods and ingredients. I just place what I have on the tray, enter the food code (comes with a book) and it display the calories, protein, fat, cholesterol, carbohydrates, fiber and sodium by calculating the weight of the food. It's the best supplemental item I invested in (Medifast being the 1st) to help me in my weight loss. It's a bit pricey, but worth it. I take my weight loss very seriously and am determine to succeed whether it will take me longer than I expect. I just stay positive and know I will get to my goal.
(303)285/208/140
BMI=55.4 New BMI= 38.0
WT Loss= -95/-77
GOALS
√ 2nd goal=219 BMI= 39.9
3rd goal = 191 BMI= 34.9
4th goal = 163 BMI= 29.8
5th goal = 140 BMI= 25.6
Nite Izes

Postby Nancy » April 22nd, 2004, 6:17 am

Good Mornin' Nite Izes ~

( :snooze: :hmmm: Hmm..since your name is NITE Izes, maybe you are not Brite Izes in the mornin', eh?!)

I am really confident that you will do well. You have made a CHOICE to get healthy. You are learning HOW to get there. You have the TOOLS to make it happen!
You have a bunch of FRIENDS to help keep you accountable! :stroll:

With these resources in combination with your DETERMINATION, you will be SUCCESSFUL! and NEVER have to go thru this long weight loss phase ever again.

Whee! Enjoy your life. This is not a rehearsal!

:boing:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Nite Izes » April 22nd, 2004, 7:02 am

I am an early bird, up every morning at 4am. That is my usual wake up time. Believe me, I am very bright and highly alert 24/7, guaranteed

I am taking the shakes and have a meal that includes some type of lean meat and vegetable. I have an intestinal disorder that has been under MD care for over 5 years, so it will take me a little more time to lose the weight compare to the average person. The MD doesn't want me on a complete liquid program, although I did request it. Everyone's body and system is different and this is what the MD recommended for my health.

Prior to this condition, I was on Medifast in 1990 and did great. Kept the weight off for 9 years until my intestinal medical condition took over and caused me to gained a lot of weight (meds also makes you gain weight). I have faith before and know the tool will work again, now that my digestive tract is behaving and performing like it should. This took me a long time but, now I am getting support from my friends here and have Medifast as my buddy to get to my goal. Surgery sounds too risky for me.

It has been a long time since I felt this happy and will not let anything stop me now. :shoot:

thanks Nancy, you are a :coach: very strong and support person that I enjoy to give me the boost I need
(303)285/208/140
BMI=55.4 New BMI= 38.0
WT Loss= -95/-77
GOALS
√ 2nd goal=219 BMI= 39.9
3rd goal = 191 BMI= 34.9
4th goal = 163 BMI= 29.8
5th goal = 140 BMI= 25.6
Nite Izes

Postby Nancy » April 22nd, 2004, 11:24 pm

That's right! You will make it this time. You have your priorities in line.

Meds can really affect our weight. How well I know. I am on prednisone and have been for a LONG time - it's been over a year now. Before that I was on it for seven months, off for about four months and back on again. Argh! It has been affecting me negatively lately as the doc has been messin' with my dosage. That (pred) is one of my ISSUES that I mentioned in a previous post.

Hey, you will soon be kissing the '70's GOOD BYE 4 ever! :wave:

Slurp and shake.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to The Weight Room