2nd time on Medifast, 1st time to post

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

2nd time on Medifast, 1st time to post

Postby DonicaB » April 6th, 2005, 8:59 am

Hi, my name is Donica and I am a foodaholic. I have finally come to the conclusion that I am addicted to food the same way some are addicted to alcohol. Unfortunately for me, I cannot totally stop eating.

As I stated on the subject line this is my second time to try Medifast. Honestly I don't know why I stopped the first time. :x I was having great success but do what I always seem to do, give up even when I am seeing results. I only stayed on it faithfully for 1 month but lost 20 lbs. I dabbled in it for the next two months and lost another 6 lbs. and then totally went back to my bad compulsive overeating habits.

Well, I am ready to stick with it and I noticed that reading this forum has already given me so much encouragement. According to the little chart in the doctor's office I need to lose 75 lbs. to be the weight I am suppose to weigh according to my heighth, however, I would be thrilled if I lost 60 lbs.

I started on MF this past Saturday, April 2. I started on Saturday because I am a teacher and I remember how difficult it was for me the first time to get to the bathroom often enough the first few days. I rarely have time to use the restroom as it is. :shock:

Anyway, I won't be able to post often due to the nature of my career, but I hope to be an encourager to those of you on the board and I hope to continue to be encouraged by reading your post.

Thanks for the support in advance.

DonicaB
DonicaB

Postby dlr2424 » April 6th, 2005, 10:28 am

DonicaB....A Hugh WELCOME...there are many foodaholics here that have conquered those challenges....stay focused & you will too!!... :thumbup: ...This can be the last weight loss venture you may ever attempt.. :yes: ......THE CHOICE IS YOURS.... :D ....may you be blessed with much strength on this journey... :angel:

Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bikipatra » April 6th, 2005, 2:13 pm

welcome!!! I know what you mean about the rushing to the bathroom! I took the Metro (subway) to the mall this past weekend and almost wet myself!
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby DonicaB » April 8th, 2005, 8:04 am

I have to work a concession stand tomorrow, all day.:shock: I don't want to blow it. I have been doing so well my first 6 days.

I guess I will just have to make sure I plan ahead and have plenty of MF and water with me. Actually, I know I can stay on track, I just don't want to work the concession stand. :D

The joys of being a teacher and club sponsor. ;)
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby doglover » April 8th, 2005, 9:31 am

Good luck Donica! That will be a hard one! Can you call in "sick"?? ;)
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

tumbleweed

Postby tumbleweed » April 8th, 2005, 9:45 am

Hi Donica! I am a foodaholic as well and have been since my teens, if I can recomend a couple books to you, they may help you out.

:arrow: Its Not About Food, End Your Obsession with Food and Weight by Carol Normandi and Laurelee Roark

:arrow: Life is Hard Food is Easy by Linda Spangle
tumbleweed
Trusted Member - #100 Club
Trusted Member - #100 Club

Postby DonicaB » April 8th, 2005, 11:10 am

Thank you Tumbleweed. I will definitely look for those books. I am absolutely addicted to food. I think some people just say that without knowing or understanding it is a real addiction problem. Alcoholism runs in my family. Fortunately for me I have never really had the desire to drink much. Probably because I didn't want to chance becoming an alcoholic. Instead I just eat because I never really thought about it being a real addiction before or even a real problem. I don't know what woke me up, but I am sure glad I did. :dooh:

I have read about being a foodaholic and about being a compulsive over-eater. I fit the mold perfectly. Sometimes I amaze myself at how much I can eat and for how long I can eat.

Thank goodness for MF. I cannot believe I have gone 6 days without gorging myself on something and honestly have not been that hungry.

Again, thanks for the info on the books. I appreciate it.

DonicaB :wavie:
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby raederle » April 8th, 2005, 11:52 am

Hi Donica, and welcome! I'm so glad that you are having great success, and wish for you that it continues! I just wanted to congratulate you on realizing that you have to address your food addiction while you're MF-ing, so that when you reach Thinnyville you'll have no trouble staying there... I've read one of the books Tumbleweed recommended, and have found it to be a real eye-opener; I betcha there are lots and lots of people in the world who have not realized they're addicted to food as many are addicted to alcohol, smoking, drugs, etc. I realized I was eating for reasons other than physical hunger, and am learning how to quit doing it-- I'm glad you are, too (or soon will be!). Be proud of yourself for having the strength to address your foody problem, and to slowly overcome it...

As for the concession stand, how about keeping a stash of diet coke around? I use it as a "treat" (I used to drink a gallon a day of that stuff!), and it helps me feel not so deprived around others who are eating cookies and drinkin' sugary lemonades... Even if you end up sipping 4 cups of soda, it's far better than splurging on whatever people around you are eating! Eat a bar, drink a shake, slurp some water, slurp some diet coke-- maybe chew some sf gum, too-- you'll make it! :mrgreen:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby DonicaB » April 8th, 2005, 2:31 pm

Excellent ideas raederle. I convinced one of my sons to help out in the concession stand. He knows I am trying to stick to MF so just having him there will help keep me accountable.

Right now I feel like I can say NO to anything. I have such great will power at this very moment. I will need the real help in another couple weeks. I have always been able to stick to anything for about 1 month, then BLAM, I seem to blow it. :hammerhead: I hope I can continue to stay strong.

Thanks for the support.

Donica
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » April 8th, 2005, 4:16 pm

There are many who foodies like you are and the good news is that we understand what you are writing about and we offer hope to you. Hope comes in little packets and we raise our shaker jars to your continued success.

We’ll keep you in our thoughts as you wait on folks in the concession stand this weekend. Great plan to have your son stand guard!

:stroll:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby DonicaB » April 10th, 2005, 10:41 am

Great News! I made it through the entire day (8am to 8pm) working the concession stand and I stood fast even with snickers, M&Ms and Butterfingers staring me in the face.

Luckily I had some ready to drink shakes that made it very easy to just grab, shake and drink. I did get a few odd stares from the people helping me in the stand, but who cares. I am losing weight. :cleader:

Thanks for the encouragement. I feel so good knowing I made it, I didn't fail!!!!!!

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby 24KaratGold » April 10th, 2005, 10:45 am

Wow, now that's a success to be proud about! Congratulations on making it through and remaining compliant.

And as for the others who looked at you funny? Eh, to heck with them. You are taking charge of your health and your body, and the only person you have to answer to, in the end, is yourself. Good on you for not letting it get to you.

Upward and onward.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby scrabbler7 » April 10th, 2005, 11:38 am

Donica - a Huge Thumbs up to you for making it through the concession stand nightmare!!! What an awesome show of willpower - isn't it a great feeling when you get through something like that?

:thumbig:
scrabbler7

Postby raederle » April 10th, 2005, 1:45 pm

YEAH!!! You did it! Congrats!!!

I know it sounds weird, but I love the feeling of overcoming temptation so much now that I purposefully buy a diet pepsi every day from an Au Bon Pain restaurant near my office. I always bring the rest of my lunch-- MF soup and a bag of baby carrots-- but I buy that diet pepsi just so I have to wait in line, which snakes through racks upon racks of baked treats for sale (brownies, croissants, scones, coffee cakes, muffins, cookies...). I get through the line, order my dp, and snicker at all the lonely goodies on my way out. (Just to be safe, I always bring exactly $1.63 so I have no choice but to stay compliant! :mrgreen:) I guess I just like to remind myself that no concession stand, no goodie tray, no box of doughnuts is EVER gonna make me feel as good as getting to goal and being healthy. Or maybe I'm just a masochist.... ;)
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle

Postby Nancy » April 10th, 2005, 5:48 pm

DonicaB ~

Awesome! 12 Hours of Medifast Mania and you made it! I am really impressed with your resolve.

raederle ~ excellent advice - the exact change is your insurance policy.

:pigsfly:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Next

Return to Come on in.