Week Two Worries - calling the old timers

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Week Two Worries - calling the old timers

Postby mytime » July 4th, 2005, 8:20 pm

You know the first week I did just great. I lost a lot of weight and honestly it seemed like magic. Maybe that is the problem. I am falling into the doubting my ability to lose weight trap.

While I only posted my weight at the end of the week I had been weighing daily and no matter what I always weighed less.

Now my rational mind understands that week two will be different. But I am having fluctuations and while this is normal my crazy food mind is saying - maybe it won't work any more - maybe the scale is broken or you weighed less b/c the 200 bar wasn't exactly on 200 but really moved off of the peg - maybe there is a towel or hair brush in the scale or the tile on the floor is changing it - so much so that when my three year old was in the bathroom today I was worried he would move the scale so I went in there to make sure he did not touch it. How TOTALLY NUTS IS THAT ????

So there is a quetion in here - What did people lose second week compared to the first and how long did it take for you really to be a believer? I know this is fear from diets gone bad - but gosh it seems so very real in the moment. Totally nuts in so - cal -Mytime PS: DON'T TOUCH MY SCALE :mrgreen:
Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby martha » July 4th, 2005, 9:52 pm

MYTIME--

You need to stop doubting yourself.. if you are compliant with the MF program it is working.. even if you don't lose like you think you should and are complaint IT IS WORKING!! :mrgreen: I know this from experience.. i thought I should have lost more than I did on vacation(was glad to have lost 4.5# BUT) so i know where you are coming from.. as Nancy and everyone has said if the weight is not coming off --your inches are especially if you are doing the program honestly..

you are just going through the same old failure phase all of us old dieters have gone though at one time or another.. just keep on shakin and try to weigh only 1 time a week for awhile.. it helped me to not have to worry about every 1/2 or 1/4 pound each day.. whenever i saw those scales I would forget about pms or not walking that day or maybe I didn't drink enough water that day ... all i would see was it had gone up that day-- its enough to drive you crazy(like not letting anyone touch your scale :mrgreen: )Just take a deep breath and let it out and don't worry about it..you will do great!!! just you worrying about it so much proves to me that you what it this time to work..and with that attitude it will.. Keep up the good work--Martha
Started MF-4/18/2005
MELTING THE POUNDS AWAY!!!!!!!!
267.5/189.5/130
martha
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby doglover » July 5th, 2005, 8:57 am

Believe it or not I cannot remember what happened in week 2! I know I lost 7 lbs the first week (5 of those after only 3 days) but then I have no idea what happened. I do know this - the first week you lose a lot of "water weight" and then it levels off. Every week will be different, up and down on amts. Then you'll have plateaus. So just don't worry. It does work and it WILL work for you. Slower than some and faster than others. But don't worry. Keep shakin' and keep the faith!
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » July 5th, 2005, 9:45 am

Don't weigh every day. Seriously. It's causing you problems right now, so don't do it.

Week 2 is always less of a drop than week 1. Realistically, we cannot expect to lose large numbers of pounds every week.

Many people report Week 3 as no loss, or almost no loss. For me, it was weeks 4 and 5, which each showed a half-pound loss (and since my scale's tolerance is to the half pound, that didn't mean much!).

The program works if you let it. You have to learn to trust the program. It takes some time to do that, especially if you have been on other weight-loss adventures that have not been successful. You will drive yourself crazy, and right off the program, if you weigh every day and then obsess about the number on the scale. Move the scale into another room and don't get on it again until Sunday morning. And please anticipate that week 3 might be a wash.

I have averaged about a 3 pound per week loss, but there have been many weeks when that number was lower, and many when it was higher. "Average" means just that, and rarely is there a single week that is right on "average."

Hang in there. It works.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby ljm498 » July 5th, 2005, 10:55 am

I know the exact feelings that you are talking about. You begin a new program and after the first week, if the scale doesn't go down, ugh! This isn't going to work either! Frustration sets in and also the temptation to forget it and find something else.

Negative self-talk (sorry to sound Dr. Phil-ish) has been the downfall for me for some time now. The fear of something not working is aweful. If you know one thing, KNOW THIS.....Medifast works! It really does. You may only lose 1 or 2lbs your second week. I lost 2.5 after a 7lb loss the first week. Don't let that fear creep back into your heart. You need to convince yourself that this does work. You will see the results soon enough but until then, look at everyone else's results (we are all different on the rate we lose of course) but look around and see the results. It will work for you too. You need to really let that sink in and believe it. And once you see a pattern starting for you, you will know what to expect. Read up on the plateau's etc and know that you will get through them. Come to know what to expect on your journey with MF. This will help get you through the tougher times.

I can't believe that I've gotten past the self-negativity, but I have. Not to say there aren't some days that I still do it, but lately, with MF, because I know it works, I can tell myself that it DOES work and BELIEVE that I am going to lose this fat.

Trust in the process! You can do this!!!!!! :cleader:
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
Total Lost 89.5 lbs!!! Wahoo!!!
ljm498
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Alisha » July 5th, 2005, 11:39 am

Hang in there Mytime! God knows that I am no veteran here, however, I will be entering into my 2nd week on Wednesday so I know EXACTLY what you mean. It's like you start a diet, lose water weight and then boom! You hit a brick wall and the scale hardly varies. This diet is supposed to help you lose weight in a consistent fashion (with the exception of plateaus) so I do believe it will work. I've been weighing myself everyday (mainly to ensure that I'm on track) and come Wednesday morning, the scale is off limits for a week. It will be hard, but I find it harder trying to work out why it went up or down or stayed the same.

Eating the limited calories we are eating, even if you sat stone still I honestly think this diet would still work. Just hang in there and we'll get through the tough spots together. ;)

~Alisha :rose:
"I can resist everything but temptation"

~Oscar Wilde

Alisha
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2005, 12:32 pm

Everyone thank you. 24 you are so right. I pledge right now not to weigh again until Saturday - no matter what. I have been 100 % compliant and am doing the full fast. I am thinking of going to the 70's b/c my hunger is bad at about 2 hours (tummy grumbles and thoughts slower).

I just thank each of you for understanding the fear in trying one more time to get the weight off and not wanting to be dissappointed. I hope everyone has an awesome week - and whether the scale says it or not those closest to me are starting to notice - so something is working.
HANG TOUGH - I am. :-P Mytime

Postby Nancy » July 5th, 2005, 9:09 pm

Dear MyTime ~

Oh, your experience and thoughts were mine as well. I was so worried about my scale being strategically placed in the same spot in the BR every time I climbed aboard. I went through the whole ritual of leaping out of bed at the same time each morning, using the sandbox, stripping off my nightie, stepping on the scale with my left foot first, allowing the needle to settle, etc.

My second week weight loss was not as great as the first, better than the third and fourth week - eventually I got to the point of truly trusting the program - after about 6 or 7 weeks I realized it not only worked for others, but it really was working for me. We didn't have our website or Forum in those days, it was just Terry, our daughter and son-in-law and me. We helped each other along and with very shake we sucked down, we improved our health and got closer to our weight loss goal.

If you can't trust the program yet for yourself, we will do it for you - we know it works, we are here to testify that it does - for weight loss, for improved health for weight management, for life!

P.S. Yup it IS NUTZ to watch your scale that much and to harm your three year old for entering the scale zone...tuck it in the garage, fergeddaboutit for 7 days and drag it out only once per week!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby mytime » July 6th, 2005, 9:38 am

Nancy - thanks - it is so good to know that I am not alone. I know I have to put the scale away. I just need to torture myself for a few more days. I love that you shared about your ritual - of course it is very similar to mine sans children - thanks for being so open. No hurt children - and scale goes to the garage after Saturday (my two week weigh in). It is the big medical one and our garage is detached from our home so it is going to be tricky weighing in as much - even if I wanted to - unless I decide to run around naked a lot- which could happen- but I am planning this behavior for closer to goal :lol: . Thanks again, Mytime
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime

Postby Nancy » July 6th, 2005, 9:59 am

MyTime ~

Now there's a picture for you...News Alert! News Alert!

Wild-eyed woman :runner: running nekkid from house to garage daily at 5 AM.

Occasional moans and groans or wild whoop-de-doos heard being emitted from her chocolate cornered lips!

Calories burned during early morning garage dash: 15

When three year old hears, "Whoopies!", he back door of the house is unlocked; when three year old hears "moans and groans", the door is barred and chained closed, child cowers under the kitchen table and telephone auto-dial is set for 9-1-1...

How long will it take for the scale cwazies to subside?

When I figure it out, I’ll letcha know as I truly have no idea…I STILL weigh multiple times per day – can’t pass a scale without climbing aboard. I am schizoid…for YEARS I did not weigh at all and now I cannot NOT weigh plus I record it in a little booklet with this disclaimer on the cover: “Terry and Unca, this is a No-No. Absolutely No reading allowed. Upon my unfortunate demise, destroy this booklet with no human peepage permitted or I shall come back to personally nag, haunt and bug the puckies out of the viewer/voyeur.”

Yesterday I went with our daughter to the well-baby clinic for our grandson’s two week weight check. It was all I could do to keep from using the BR, stripping and climbing onto the little digital baby scale…
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby mytime » July 8th, 2005, 10:43 pm

Nancy - thank you so much. You make me laugh ! I am so happy for you about your grand baby- My parents are completely nuts over our kids. Such a blessing. Oh this facing your weight thing can be such a challenge. Glad to know you have been here and face the demons daily. I do love MF and like you were I am dead set on being 100 % compliant. I just think I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. Nice trading best friends for a while - food for MF. I think the tried it all girl in me just can't believe it is true yet. Oh, but I am ready for MF to make a believer out of me. Funny how we spend so much ( at least in my case) of our lives overweight and then want it all gone overnight. Off to stand on the scale :lol: Thanks again, Mytime
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime

Return to Weight Loss