Traveling Tips- EEEK! Out of town soon and need help!

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Traveling Tips- EEEK! Out of town soon and need help!

Postby VTGirlie » May 23rd, 2006, 10:03 am

hi guys!

So, we're headed to Montreal this weekend. It will be my first time there and I have been so excited to go for the longest time!!! :D

The thing is, it will be the first of many things:

1) First time travelling while on plan :hammerhead:

2) First time eating out in restaurants while on plan :bricks:

3) First time facing SERIOUS temptation while on plan. :twisted:

Does anyone have any tips for making this easier? How do you bring/prepare/pre-prepare food for this kind of thing? If it were a day I could see it being easy (thermos!) but it will be 3, and I'm not sure if my hotel room will have a microwave.

Also, how about the other? We'll be with family in the land of bread! ACK!!!! :shock:

I don't want to screw this up, so I'll take any help I can get. :roll:

Thanks again! :lol:

Bets
Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
"Nothing is as good as this day"
VTGirlie
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Serendipity » May 23rd, 2006, 11:01 am

First, don't panic! lol

We just got back from a weekend in NYC. I took RTD shakes and a bar along for the days out and about. Then ate my L&G right along with my husband and son. I just made sure the restaurants we went to had something I could eat for my L&G.

For breakfast, I had my oatmeal. Our hotel had continental breakfast in the lobby, like so many do these days. I just used the microwave there.

I had absolutely no problem staying on plan. In fact, it was much easier for me than for my husband and son. Seemed we spent alot of time checking out restaurant menu's for just the right place for them to eat their lunch. I was like, come on already, this is biting into my shopping time!
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby VTGirlie » May 23rd, 2006, 11:18 am

Hee!

Good news, bad news- I was reading about RTD's, and unfortunately I didn't get any w/ my initial order and it is too late to order them.

Can you make shakes ahead of time?

Thanks! :)
Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
VTGirlie

Postby Serendipity » May 23rd, 2006, 12:26 pm

Well, you can still do it. You'll just need to take your shaker along and some packets, find a rest room and shake, drink, and rinse.
jo
Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » May 23rd, 2006, 12:27 pm

Another thing you could do is take soup packets along and ask at the restaurant to give you some hot water. Mix the soup, wait several minutes and enjoy while your family enjoys their lunch.
jo
Serendipity

Postby Ketann » May 23rd, 2006, 12:32 pm

I have to take an eight hour road trip once a month with hubby. I did it the first week I was on Medifast. I brought my shaker that came with my first order, some bottled water, and a Rubbermaid container to nuke soups. I also brought 1 bar. At one of the gas stations, they allowed me to use the microwave for soups. I brought extra shake packets if this became a problem. I also brought along a premade lean and green meal.

I don't know about eating out, but I know most restaurants will cater to dietary rules if you ask. I think if you mentally prepare yourself, it will keep you from going off plan. While everyone is attacking the bread basket, enjoy your water or tea with lemon and visualize yourself thin in a knockout dress.

I hope you have a wonderful time in Montreal. I am very jealous by the way
:x . Just kidding. ;) I know you can do it. I'm sure everyone here is rooting for you. :mrgreen:

Hugs,

Keturah
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby mommaof3boys » May 23rd, 2006, 12:55 pm

We eat out a lot - as a family and just my husband and I - and I have found that most places have something that will easily satisfy the lean and green portion of the diet.

Most places will prepare food without added butter or oil

Most places will put extra chicken on your salad so you get enough protein, leave off croutons, put dressing on the side, omit cheese/bacon/etc. you get the idea.

Full fat salad dressings are a problem but I just use very very litte (you know the dip the fork, take a big bite of lettuce and repeat trick ;) )
Medifast start date 5/10/2006

5'6"

151/144/127
mommaof3boys
Trusted Member

Postby Drama Queen » May 23rd, 2006, 1:05 pm

As for the Hotel microwave question...I work in a Hotel and we have microwaves & refrigerators available for our guests on reguest. Call ahead to your Hotel and ask if you can reserve a microwave and refrigerator for your room. Tell them you are on a medically prescribed diet and you need a microwave and refrigerator for your special food. There may be a small charge for them but most Hotels have them available for medical, religious and dietary reasons.
Start Date 1/22/06
Age 53 / Height 5'9"

Drama Queen
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby DogMa » May 23rd, 2006, 2:40 pm

Room service is also great for bringing hot water, bowls and spoons, etc. They even brought me a little dish of salsa (no charge) because I like to add it to my broccoli soup.

You might bring extra bars, too. If you get really stuck at some point, it would be better to have an extra bar than something off plan.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » May 23rd, 2006, 2:56 pm

Have SO MUCH FUN in Montreal! It's a BEAUTIFUL CITY!

I've been traveling extensively since starting medifast and have done well.

I agree with Drama Queen. Call ahead to your hotel and ask for a fridge/micro. Or just the fridge. Most of the hotels I stay at there (usually La Dauphin) have a micro in the breakfast room. I make my oatmeal there in the morning

I don't always have my RTD's, so I take my shaker jars a lot of places. I mix it on the spot or make it the night before and freeze it so it's good and cold in the afternoon. I have a little cooler with a freezer brick that looks like a purse (Target) that I put my shakes and bar in.

I have my L & G in the late afternoon. Almost all wait-staff I've encountered in Montreal is bi-lingual, so letting them know what you like is easier, just be specific because a lot of the dishes there will have sauces on them.

I also carry a little rubbermaid bowl I make soup in with a lid that has a pop top to avoid soup explosions...I make it in the hotel, I DON'T take it out and about with me!

Then I've usually got a pudding made up in the fridge at the hotel for later in the evening. Just a teeny bit more work, but it's EASY to stick to the program if you just decide you're going to!

I've made it to Montreal twice on program (so far) and once to Quebec City and once to Sherbrooke! I was able to avoid my FAVORITE (Poutine...don't ask! I LOVE IT!!!! It's like a cholesterol bomb) all 4 times, if I can avoid that, I can do the plan on the road, out of the country, wherever!

Good luck! have fun!

DeDe
Last edited by dede4wd on May 23rd, 2006, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Ketann » May 23rd, 2006, 3:09 pm

Warning: Don't Google Poutine. I did. Big mistake. :( Off to have some Minestrone. ;)

Keturah
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby DogMa » May 23rd, 2006, 3:15 pm

OK, I had to look since you said not to. :lol:

Enjoy your minestrone. I may never eat again. Eyew.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Hi

Postby dede4wd » May 23rd, 2006, 9:28 pm

Poutine REALLY is a lot better than it looks! They even sell it at McDonalds in Canada (even though it's TERRIBLE there!)! Cholesterol bomb, but a yummy one! I promise it's not eeew Robin, it's just not for me anymore! Enjoy your minestrone! I'll go back to my pudding!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby DogMa » May 23rd, 2006, 9:47 pm

I dunno, I'm not a big fan of gravy of any kind. And since it's so unhealthy, I'm probably better off hating it on sight! There are plenty of other unhealthy foods that I love.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby VTGirlie » May 24th, 2006, 8:53 am

Dede- you're a riot! :) Next time you're up this way, let me know- I'm 3 hours from Montreal!

I think I'll be safe. I know that there is lots of cross over between food from there into Vermont, and I've avoided most of it successfully. Unless they have wonderful bread, which is a pitfall for me. At this point I'm down 7 pounds, which is motivation enough for me! I'm so excited! :D :D :D

Does anyone know how far ahead you can make shakes/puddings, etc to carry along?

You are all lovely and fantastic!!!

:yourock:

Thanks so much!

Bets
Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
VTGirlie

Next

Return to Weight Loss