Traveling for Business

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Traveling for Business

Postby hecate » March 12th, 2004, 8:38 am

This is a tough one for me. I have to travel for business.

Of course that means hotels and dining out. I know I can use the shakes but it's difficult when you 'MUST' attend these dinner functions. And then there are those meetings when they order in for lunch and whatever.

You can't just pull out a shake and go to it. Some situations just don't allow.

Any suggestions to maintaining some sort of damage control?
I will have to eat something, gilled meat and veggie if possible.

But what about when it isn't? :?

Thanks for any help!
hecate
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Jeanette » March 12th, 2004, 8:52 am

When I was in the early stages of Medifast, I had two social situations come up in the first week! Basically, all I did was push food around on a plate to make people think I was eating.

Fake it till you make it!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Re: Traveling for Business

Postby explorthis » March 12th, 2004, 9:07 am

hecate wrote:This is a tough one for me. I have to travel for business.

Of course that means hotels and dining out. I know I can use the shakes but it's difficult when you 'MUST' attend these dinner functions. And then there are those meetings when they order in for lunch and whatever.

You can't just pull out a shake and go to it. Some situations just don't allow

I want to toss in my 39 cents here, and see where it goes. I have lost a butt load of weight, for the first time in my life (go with me on this one) you all know from my posts, I am a pretty straight shooter. I basically hold nothing back, and do not ever take a backseat approach to the obvious, in this case my weight (or yours for this matter) I am driving now, and loving every minute of it.

I work, by choice in the "business world" I am a "corporate guy" if you will, and understand ALL of the situations, from casual lunches for business, to out and out formal dinners and parties at the owners mansion. I do work for a wonderful company, well respected, and successful.

Point of the above, is to ask, when does a situation "not allow" you to Medifast? When did your job or business DICTATE to you that you could not eat what you want, when you want, and how much you want? If you were eating at this "business trip function" and ordered a piece of London broil, or 290oz of Prime Rib, and salad, and drinks, would anyone even blink? This is the order standard, “steak and potatoes”. Everyone orders, everyone eats, everyone chats, and everyone goes to the bathroom. We all do it the same way. When did it become politically incorrect to have a Medifast shake instead of the steak?

My Dad taught me (have you heard me preach this before over and over and over) "You Create Your Own Circumstances". Yes, it took me 42 damn years to create a new one for myself, and I finally did. But why must we JUSTIFY what, when, and how we eat to others, weather it be family, friends, foe, or “business acquaintances”? Why can't we sit and enjoy our new found loss, and what it is doing to us - Stopping us from being overweight, the same as everyone else eating a piece of steak?

I know after my post, there will be "lean green talk" have this, have that, have some salad, push it around on your plate etc...

When exactly is the "situation that does not allow" Ok for you? I thought we were our own keepers..... I thought we were creating our own circumstances?!?!?!?

-Mike
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Jeanette » March 12th, 2004, 9:12 am

Your personality dictates that you would do it that way, Mike....but maybe Hecate isn't like that..... It is also a fear of offending an important client or boss by doing that.

She needs to decide what to do...me? I take the weak way out...well maybe not WEAK....just less potentially offensive.
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby explorthis » March 12th, 2004, 9:30 am

Jeanette wrote:Your personality....

fear of offending...

I take the weak way out...

just less potentially offensive.

Offending? Weak? Ok, so your the million dollar client, you are the one hosting the "whatever it is function" you see someone drinking Medifast, or whatever it is, you ask, you see what it is, you learn, your impressed, or not impressed. You then cancel your account, give up the business, or lose the business, because someone was concerned about themselves for the first time in their life.

You then go back to your office. Oh sorry boss, we lost the account because I was drinking my Medifast shake during dinner at the 5 star restaurant, and we lost the account. My bad. Can I still keep my job?

Dunno.... I must be "out of the norm"
explorthis

Postby Indigo » March 12th, 2004, 10:41 am

Yes, Mike. You're definitely 'one of a kind' ;)
There are corporate situations where I am comfortable using medifast, and situations I am not. We don't all have the job security to say 'I lost the account because they were uncomfortable with my drinking medifast and we didn't develop a good rapport, so fire me.'

Yes, it's tough being around all that food in a semi-stressful situation. Maybe 'pushing around greens on a plate' is not being a 'Medifast advocate'- but that's not why I'm on Medifast.

Hecate, I'd recommend thinking this through as much as you can. You can always say 'I'm on Atkins' and get NO flak from the restaurant staff or other people at the table- and get served the exact 'lean and green' type menu you need. Just limit portions.

I know, I know, it's not the bold and brazen path the Mike takes, and yes, we all know that Atkins doesn't work the way Medifast does- but unless you want to go into a long, detailed explanation with everyone you meet, it's an easy way to adapt at corporate functions.
Laurie
2/14/04~ :heart:
247/222.4/150, ~modifasting~
Indigo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby HD » March 13th, 2004, 8:58 am

Wow....I almost passed this one up for a reply but thought I'd throw in a few more kinks to the coals that seem to be burning :D
For quite some time now I've known without a doubt that I am FAT, therefore I have been in the problem areas that each of you have discussed....my thing was this. I tried the pushing food around the plate so no one would know that I was on medifast (mostly for fear that it would bring attention to my being fat and having to admit it to people I hardly know), then I tried the mix it up before I go to the meeting deal and say I've already had a bite to eat. And of course I've used the one "Not feeling well so I'm not hungry". I finally realized that I'm doing this for me and who cares what others think! Since I've come to that conclusion My life has been so much easier and without the little white lies. Recently I have actually heard from the very people I feared in the beginning say "I'm impressed you've stuck with it and showing such an improvement!" Did I stand a little taller...you tell me. I know how it feels to have people looking at you and thinking "wow she's fat and should be on a diet" and I chose to hide being on medifast....at first. On this forum we have each other to help hold us accountable and through this forum I've found the strengh to stand up and know that I may be FAT but I am going to be thin! Each of you in your own way has helped pull me together and realize that I can do this regardless of what other people think. I agree that you Hecate should think this through and decide what you can deal with... just remember to keep in mind what's important to you above all. If you can handle taking a little longer to get rid of the weight then by all means choose the option to hide medifast or stick to the program and drag that shaker with you and get to the goal that you set (not the VIP's). What ever you decide I can tell you this, medifast works and you set the pace not anyone else. Think about it.
Ok....before anyone Blast back at me...I know without a doubt I am FAT, yet as the days have went by and I've lived in the forum, each of you have through your kind words, blunt words and grumpy words set me up to succeed, I feel thinner by your friendships and can stand tall even on the days I feel to fat to care so....Blast away and know that I still Love each of you!
Jackie (HD)

01/24/2004
193/151/124
HD
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby shineface » March 13th, 2004, 6:44 pm

AAAHHHH---- This thread is what Forum support dreams are made of......

Hi Guys---

We've come here before and so I guess I'll throw in my "dollar-three- eighty"

THIS IS A LIVING LIFE ISSUE -- we all have to make decisions and deal with it - some of us handle it, others skirt around it and then some of us treat it as a situational issue. Changing our eating habits whether for business, pleasure, for work or weddings or graduations or whatever is a decision that WILL effect the outcome of our MF program -- how much weight we lose, how fast AND FOR HOW LONG!!!!!

BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION, PUTTING ME FIRST AND FINDING A WAY TO DEAL WITH A LITTLE THING CALLED DAY TO DAY LIFE IS CRUCIAL TO MY SUCCESS!!!!

I've done the drill, traveled for work, been locked in conference rooms with meals coming in and bagels and donuts and afternoon sugar-raisers being brought in such as CC cookies, or WHATEVER! "Oh, I'll only take one because everyone else is" - yeah, right, left alone they all know by looking at my weight that I'd probably knock off the whole tray...

...Weeks traveling around, hotel rooms, expense accounts and FOOD,FOOD,FOOD of course I always ordered reasonable meals when they had to go on the expense account with a receipt!!!!! Come to think of it I probably used to lose money when I traveled just because of the food--lol.. :shock:

Anyway, I was smart enough and crafty enough and sneaky enough to OVEREAT when I traveled so same principal applied I can use the same energy to be smart enough and crafty enough and sneaky (if that's my choice) to MEDIFAST whenever I need to!!!! FACE TO THE MIRROR - TOTALLY HONEST - THIS CAN BE DONE..... NO EXCUSES!!!!!! MY EXCUSES WILL KEEP ME FAT - MY INABILITY TO CHANGE WILL KEEP ME FAT - WHAT I AM DOING IS MY BUSINESS - I DO NOT OWE ANYONE AN EXCUSE - I WILL BE HAPPY TO SHARE MY JOURNEY WITH OTHERS - IF I CHOSE TO DO IT - IF NOT - NO ONE IS TYING ME DOWN AND SHOVING FOOD DOWN MY THROAT! AS I SAID BEFORE - I HAVE EATEN MF BARS IN THE LADIES ROOM, DRANK SHAKES IN THE HALL OR STAIRWAY (HEY SMOKERS TAKE BREAKS DON'T THEY?) WHATEVER IT TAKES - THAT IS WHAT I WILL DO - THAT IS MY PROMISE TO ME!!!!

Everyone needs to work their program the way that makes them comfortable BUT I know that without making changes during this journey --At the end I WILL have a thin MF body and a FAT head unable to maintain the result - for life!

I guess enough said....

WE WILL do this together!!!! :stroll:
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Landylue » March 17th, 2004, 11:22 am

This is excellent! I'll be heading out on 29 March for a week's business trip, so I'll keep all of this in mind. I was just going to take my packets and shaker and find a water fountain somewhere. I am dead serious that nothing and nobody is going to make me waiver from this fast.

Years ago when I went through my first fast, I went to weekly support group meetings at Baylor Hospital in Dallas. There was a gentleman in class who had weekly, if not daily, business lunches and dinners. I remember him talking about going to The Mansion, one of Dallas' most expensive restaurants, and handing the waiter an Optifast chicken soup packet and requesting that the cook prepare it for him. Out it came in no time in a beautiful fine china bowl. Everyone was extremely impressed with his willpower and self-discipline.

So, on my upcoming trip, I will not only think of this gentleman, but of all you guys, also.
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby explorthis » March 17th, 2004, 11:46 am

Landylue wrote:and handing the waiter an Optifast chicken soup packet and requesting that the cook prepare it for him. Out it came in no time in a beautiful fine china bowl.

A-M-E-N!!!

Why be normal anyway!! What a great driving force!!!

-Mike
explorthis

Return to Weight Loss