Need advice and tips about traveling

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Need advice and tips about traveling

Postby smartiegrrl » August 24th, 2004, 1:53 pm

My Uncle passed away last night so tomorrow I'll be travelling to my home town (6 hours) and will be there until friday.

I don't have any of the ready to drink stuff - any tips/advice on how to pack and shake up on the road? I was thinking of bringing my own greens, but I'm worried about them wilting in the cooler (any experience with that?). Would some kind of coldcuts, like turkey or chicken, be an acceptable protein portion?
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » August 30th, 2004, 6:38 pm

Dear Smartiegrrl ~

Oh, Honey! I am SO SO sorry to hear about your Uncle's unexpected death. We will be praying for your safety as you travel and for God's comfort for you and your family in the days ahead.

Please forgive me for not replying sooner - somehow I missed your inquiry.

Folks, if I miss something really important, please PM me so I can assist you.

Now...this may be too late for your current trip, Smartiegrrl but hopefully my comments will help you the next time you must take to the road.

Medifast just came out with some wonderful new Chicken Salad - read all about it in my August Newsletter. Needs NO refrigeration. It has dressing already mixed into it. Just rip off the top and squeeze it out onto a small salad from a fast food drive-up window or use your fork and eat it right out of the foil packet!

Remember: IF you order side salads from Fast Fooders or restaurants, it is best for you to forego the salad dressing. If I am at a sit-down restaurant, I request vinegar and oil and never touch the oil cruet – just use as much vinegar as you want. Most salad dressings, particularly Ranch, Bleu Cheese or Roquefort are DANGEROUS - for your heart and for our weight loss plan!

Green beans are a great take-along veggie - I often have a can of green beans with me - just be sure to take a can opener and a plastic fork with you! I open the can, drain off the liquid and add a touch of vinegar (which does not need refrigeration either!) and eat 'em right out of the can.

You can always mix the tuna salad directly into a can of green beans - YUM!

Most grocery stores have very lean deli meat available - just run in and get 4-5 ounces of turkey or roast beef. The deli may also have some dill pickles for sale - they are usually HUGE, however and you may need to have the wait person cut it in half for you. Experience speaking here: it is NOT easy to chomp into a deli dill and have pickle juice running down your chin and into your cleavage while trying to shift from second into third gear. I hate arriving at a function smelling like a Pickle Factory rather than Estee Lauder...

Terry and I often will have some of the Healthy Choice 97% fat free turkey, chicken or ham deli lunch meat if we are in a hurry. It is a "Grab It and Go" item.

Hope all is well with you.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby smartiegrrl » September 2nd, 2004, 9:14 pm

Well I'm back from all the chaos. Well that chaos anyways.

Thanks for the tips Nancy. :) I'll have them for future reference.

This recent order I have some RTD shakes for these unexpected events. I didn't see the chicken salad, but I did see those freeze dried chicken and burgers. Are those any good? I'll have to add the Chicken Salad to my next order. :)
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl

Postby Nancy » September 2nd, 2004, 11:14 pm

Dear SG ~

So happy to hear that you returned safely. We missed you and have been keeping you in our prayers.

Re: Essential 1 Meals
We ordered some of the Medifast Essential 1 Grilled Chicken Breasts and the Medifast Grilled Beef Patties.

They do have good flavor and seasonings - they are a rather interesting concept and will make an excellent meal when caught in a bind.

The Chicken Breasts sell for $9.95 a box; the Grilled Beef Patties sell for $8.95 for a box of two.

We were recently on the road, it was late at night, the 'healthy' restaurants were closing and I was a Starvin’ Marvin.

When I got to our hotel room, I opened the box that contained two pouches of Medifast Grilled Chicken Breasts. I struggled with the seal due to arthritic fingers so had to use my cuticle scissors to remove the top layer of the plastic pouch.

The Grilled Chix and Beef Patties come in individually sealed pouches. The bottom portion of the pouch is like a light-weight plastic 'tray' and the pouch contains a small sealed packet referred to as 'the oxygen absorber.'

The Oxygen Absorber looks like one of those seasoning packets that come in Top Ramen. Be SURE to remove it from the pouch and toss it out. It is NOT a seasoning packet and serves to absorb well, :!: oxygen and perhaps moisture!

I just heated some water through the coffee pot in our hotel room and poured it directly over the Grilled Chicken Breast on the plastic 'tray.' I used perhaps ½ - 2/3 cup of water and allowed the chicken breast to reconstitute and plump up.

I used the plastic spoon that comes with the coffee maker and coffee supplies to eat my Medifast Grilled Chicken Breast. I found it tasty and satisfying. It was surprisingly tender and flavorful. It was a tad bit saltier than I prefer but most likely perfect for most palates. I also had a handful of cherry tomatoes and a bottle of water. The hunger pangs were satisfied and my tongue was happy. :bib:

Calories: 120
Total Fat = 2.5 g
Sodium = 350 mg
Cholesterol = 90 mg
Potassium = 350 mg
Protein = 24 g
Carbs = 0
Sugars = 0

I think it is perfect for traveling – on a plane one could ask for some hot water and have a nice protein serving virtually on the spot. See my August Newsletter for additional info regarding how to make it a complete meal.
http://www.makemethinner.com/newsletter ... letter.htm
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby smartiegrrl » September 3rd, 2004, 7:18 am

Oh thanks for the review!

I'm going to be travelling to Europe and I also have some weekend excursions coming up this November. These products could come in quite handy!
~sg

(6/26/06) 230/225/130
smartiegrrl

Postby Nancy » September 3rd, 2004, 8:07 am

SG ~

The Grilled Chix and Beef are VERY light weight - the boxes are relatively small and thin. Perfect for traveling.

When I travel with MF products, I always put them in Ziplock baggies. Usually I take them out of their boxes, cut off the front panel and tuck it inside the Zippy with the packets just in case I get questioned by security about the contents of the little white packets... :roll:

The Zippies take up less space than the boxes and I can tuck them in among clothing. Be SURE you put them in a Zippy! Terry just tossed them inside his bag one time and we had a :twisted: MF powder nightmare! As you well know, IF you've slopped a shake on your shirt, it does not clean up real easily and it can stain certain fabrics...
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Weight Loss