This time he ate my cookies

Add your favorite recipes.

This time he ate my cookies

Postby scrabbler7 » February 12th, 2005, 7:46 pm

So I was all set to make cookies this weekend with the MBS oatmeal that was supposed to be in my newest box of medi-goodies. But then I opened the box and found 2 boxes of the french vanilla berry instead. I hemmed and hawed abut it and decided what the heck - I'll just keep 'em rather than go through a return process.

Since I REALLY wanted cookies after all the cookie threads going on in here, I decided to use the FVBerry - what the heck right?

Now I'm not a big cinnamon fan - so I decided to skip the cinnamon and add almond extract instead of vanilla. (I LOVE ALMOND). My whole house smelled wonderful --- both of my kids and husband came out to see what was going on in the kitchen (boo hoo for them -- I don't make brownies and cakes anymore! Ah well they will get over it!)

When they were done they looked very nice -- a little golden brown on the bottom. Now if you remember from a few weeks ago, I had made the cookies with the Apple Oatmeal using the standard cinnamon and vanilla recipe; my 5 year old tried them, said they were okay and asked for a tastykake instead. This time, he not only tried it - but ate two of my 5 cookies. I gotta tell you - that was some tough going - giving up my cookies -- but it has to attest to their tastiness!!!

BTW - here was my complete ingredient mix:

MF FVBerry Oatmeal
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
3 packets of splenda
1/3 cup water
2 tsp almond extract

I let the batter sit probably a little longer than the stated 5 minutes and cooked them at 350 for 10 minutes - so that part I kept the same. I was worried about the berries being hard - but they were nice and soft. And when you bit into a piece that had a berry in it - you could ALMOST make yourself beleive it was a little piece of blueberry muffin.

So now instead of saying "Happy Shaking" I'm saying "Happy Baking"!
scrabbler7
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » February 12th, 2005, 8:06 pm

Ooo, that might be enough to make me order the French Vanilla Berry oatmeal with my next order!

I made the apple cinammon again last night, and forgot to put the sweetener in! :oops: But I was determined to eat the cookies, because I wasn't going to let the medifast go to waste. I was pleased that the cookies were just fine, so far as I was concerned.

Gee, if your little boy likes the medi-cookies, maybe you've found a way to get a really, really healthy treat into him!
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby raederle » February 12th, 2005, 8:59 pm

Wow-- I envy your ability to share those cookies! When anyone approaches my Medigrub, I turn into a snarling fiend. Same with my jar of dill pickles!

Thanks for posting the vanilla berry cookie recipe-- they sound reallllly good. Looks like 15 minutes of soakin' and bakin' finally softens those little stone-berries up!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle

Postby scrabbler7 » February 13th, 2005, 9:53 am

I will admit though - I did have to check myself. I really didn't think he was going to like it, so thought nothing of giving him half of one. When he went back to the plate to take another ... I took one look at his cutie patootie face and the cookies just weren't worth it. Geez - motherly love is just sickening! HA!! :roflmao:
scrabbler7

Postby kassilou » February 13th, 2005, 10:14 am

I have to remind my daughter (4 yo) all the time that this is my "special diet" food. I've never been on a diet before where someone else wants MY food. My daughter wants my shakes, my puddings, and my bars. Then last night when I was making my banana shake my hubby thought he needed something "desserty," too. Too funny! I'm on a diet, and they are jealous of me!
To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals.
~Ben Franklin
kassilou
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby raederle » February 13th, 2005, 1:33 pm

Too funny! Sometimes when I make my chili on the weekends for lunch, I'll make it on the stovetop and dress it up with dried onion bits, chili powder, etc. The smell of chili wafts thru the house, and my husband will wander in and say, "Mmmm! That smells good!"

I say, "Thanks," but what I'm thinking is, "Hey, buddy, don't you for one second think that somehow this is a TREAT!!! I'm depriving myself, darnit! I am showing WILL POWER and FORTITUDE and STRENGTH in ADVERSITY!!! I'd rather be eating a CHEESESTEAK like YOU!!!"

But then I calm down, eat my chili, and think, "Man, this *is* pretty darn good...!" ;)
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle

Postby Nancy » February 16th, 2005, 9:27 pm

You all sound like snarling dogs defending a steak!

Who says diet food has to taste skanky?

You know, we need to remember that our kids are watching us and listening to us so if we moan and groan about eating healthy, it will give them negative attitudes about healthy foods. :oops: Medifast is good for you and good tasting - but I also understand about not wanting to share your very own serving - guess we'll just need to make double batches if the family is around!

Good job, Folks!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby scrabbler7 » February 17th, 2005, 11:37 am

Nancy - you make such good points! So true how we need to instill these values into our children. My son is 5 and has been very inquisitive about my food and the whole "why?" "why?" "why?" for everything. (It is the age - I'm sure most of you have been around a 5 year old!)

He wants to know what I'm having to eat, what it tastes like, why i'm not eating what he is eating, why I have to eat this "other" food. I have been consistently talking to him about my HEALTHY food. I'm eating different food right now because mommy wants to be healthy, and I need to take care of my body. Why am I going to exercising? I'm going because excercise keeps you healthy and mommy wants to be healthy.

The best tip I did learn was from in here ... he always asks me if I am going to have some of what he is having - whatever it is - and I used to say that mommy can't have that right now. Which led to more WHY?s. So I started telling him , I'm not going to have any right now. He accepts that much better.

My 8 year old daughter on the other hand ... she just tells me she's never going to be fat so she can eat whatever she wants (she weighs all of 45 pounds right now!). Oh my, she will learn. :cry:

Well - that's my two cents --
scrabbler7

Postby Nancy » February 19th, 2005, 2:35 pm

It sounds to me as if you are setting a very positive example for your Kiddos, Scrabbler. The audience IS watching and listening.

A five year old and an eight year old are forming habits and ideas about food now that will last them a lifetime. It's great that you are teaching them by your example the importance of exercise, choosing and eating healhy foods and drinking water.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Lean Cuisine