Ate my way through Hong Kong!

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Ate my way through Hong Kong!

Postby Lauren » April 12th, 2010, 11:53 am

Hello, Folks! How's it going? I hope you all are enjoying these first weeks of Spring!

It seems from a quick scan of the board that things are a bit quiet over here, but I'm hoping it's just because everyone is out and about enjoying the weather - and not because things on the food front have become a challenge.

I just came back from a vacation in Hong Kong, and it was exceptional! I've had the good fortune of doing quite a bit of traveling in recent past, and especially in this last year, so it's always interesting how I navigate the food situation while away. When I was on MF fulltime (still in the weightloss mode), I stuck to plan 100%. Seriously. No deviation. Ate 5 Medi meals and had my lean and green for wherever our dinner was. I also always continued to exercise nearly daily (still do - regardless of home or vacation). But since on maintenance, it's varied. For the first year of maintenance, I really stayed on a strict plan when I was away. I would eat my MF for breakfast, plus maybe a greek yogurt, and then eat L&G meals for lunch and dinner, with fruit/veggies when I desired. But I still NEVER ate breads or rice or (god forbid, ha!) anything fried or chocolate! Haha. But this wasn't as big a sacrifice to me, because I had been traveling to tropical destinations, with foods I've eaten many times in the past - so there wasn't some new culinary excursion taking place.

This year, however, has been interesting, because my travels have taken me to places with totally unique foods, unlike any I've ever tried. So I made a pact (with myself and with my boyfriend) that when traveling to these unique places, I would try anything I wanted (in moderation), but only if it's totally new to me and/or totally specific to that region. So in Germany and Switzerland (back in October) I had spaetzle and bretzles and schnitzle, and those kinds of things. So I had the same plan for this trip to Hong Kong! Well, as much Chinese food as I eat (and I eat a ton of it), nothing could have prepared me for how much I've never tasted (nor heard of), and I tried them all! I had REAL Peking Duck (more accurately called Beijing Duck), mochi, congee, some crazy ham on yeast roll thingy that was crazy to die for good, strange jellied desserts, and so much more. Then to top it all off, we were guests at an awesome event with a bunch of people from all over the world with homemade East African Indian food as the theme, and I ate that, too! I actually, for the first time since November of 2005, ate FRIED FOOD (samosas). The good news? Every morsel was delicious. The better news? Totally didn't agree with my belly, and reminded me that I really don't enjoy fried food anymore! Haha.

We hiked every morning and walked all day, so regardless of the decadent foods I ate, I didn't gain weight. (whew!) Which also reminds me that I CAN live in this maintenance world and NOT feel deprived. I can enjoy more decadent food as part of a special (and rare and unique) cultural experience, but I don't need them for my daily life or on holidays (I stay on plan for those). I am really pleased, albeit jet lagged, and just overall relieved that I can incorporate these experiences into a healthy life.

Oh, and by the way, both my boyfriend and I were eager to end the gluttony and go back to simple, healthy foods as soon as we returned. It's amazing how our bodies adjust, and "clean" eating is more desirable as a general rule.

Anyway, I hope you are doing okay, and would love to see more action!!

Cheers,

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Re: Ate my way through Hong Kong!

Postby Tawanda » April 12th, 2010, 5:50 pm

Lauren, your trip sounds wonderful and I'm a tiny bit envious, along with happy for you in, of all the traveling you are getting to do.

It sounds like you've got a true handle on how to eat normally. Special treats on special trips and then back to wise, clean eating. I hope I will learn to be a normal eater some day!

I'm so happy that you continue to check in and let us know how you are doing. So few people pop in that have lost their weight and are keeping it off. You are appreciated!
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Re: Ate my way through Hong Kong!

Postby Karli » April 29th, 2010, 12:23 pm

Hi Lauren, thanks so much for your post -- inspiring, and congratulations on such a wonderful experience in all ways. I second Tawanda's entire post :).
Karli
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to Maintenance