The Drawing Board

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Postby bk » April 25th, 2005, 3:45 pm

Rae - you have tons of courage for coming here & fessing up. What a role model you are!

My first reaction to your thinking you ACTUALLY gained 10 pounds was... (sorry folks), have you even had a serious visit to the loo yet?

and I KNOW maintenance can be done because I'm going to watch you take this lesson and go right back to your goal weight knowing that you can manage the good weeks AND the bad ones.

One more thing - I know you've completely transitioned to maintenance and have been eating real food for a bit now, but don't forget that eating all that fat all at once after having been without for so long could give you a gallbladder attack. The prospect of "dumping syndrome" (like for weight-loss surgery patients) would be enough to keep me from the mexifood binge, even after a few drinks. That's just my 2 cents and you can feel free to ignore them completely. But I often find non-emotional things to be better motivators in keeping me away from food.

bk
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby raederle » April 25th, 2005, 5:41 pm

Dean0408 wrote:What I CAN"T figure out.........is why you would want to pin it to yourself so it does not FALL OFF!!!! :shock:

Good point! I suppose it is much better to be underdoodied than overdoodied! :D

Bk-- I didn't even *think* about the gall bladder issue. If I had, it might have helped-- believe me, I'll take emotional *and* non-emotional motivators if they keep me from going haywire! I'll remember this when I next unleash myself on the world of real food! Thanks! And yup, no visits to the loo yet, so I know that must be a factor. (I guess Dean would say I have definitely underdoodied this weekend!) Rationally, I know there are reasons why I shouldn't be freaked out by the number-- I just still haven't quite broken free of scale slavery. It still forecasts my day's emotions depending on what the thing says... Another thing to work on!

So much homework... ;)
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

"failure"=success

Postby LAwoman » April 25th, 2005, 9:01 pm

Hey Rae,

I haven't written on the boards for a few weeks, still tied down with school, exams, working... But I try to check in when I can to share everyone's successes and difficulties on this MF journey [and boy have they been a lot :-P ]

Everyone here has done a great job at giving you such positive, truthful, helpful, supportive advice. After reading your post tonight, I went out for a walk, meaning to do 45 min. and walking for over 90 min. 'cause I miss my long walks and it was beautiful out this evening (and truth be told, I'm procrastinating from my studies ;) ) I was thinking alot about what you wrote, what you went through, what it all might means for you and all of us....

Let me begin by thanking you for all your support and cheerleading and advice for everyone here on the forum. You really could never "fail" us or "let us down" by sharing your journey, both the negatives and the positives, 'cause that's life.

What really kept coming up in my thoughts was that great success is always paved with "failures", be it business, relationships, weight-loss, or other endeavors we pursue. I put that word in quotations because I want/need/do believe that "failures" are really lessons. Now don't get me wrong, it's very easy to tell other people this, but it's a whole different ball game believing it for yourself, trust me, NO ONE is harder on me than MYSELF. But I'm working on that and more often than not have come to recognize and believe this is true, even for me.

You haven't failed, you haven't even come close to failing. Perhaps this happened for a reason so you can delve further into figuring things out for yourself, or perhaps it was just a slip-up. Only you can answer that. But a failure would be to continue to eat like that, gaining all the weight back (and then some) and giving up and just accepting an unhappy, overweight, unhealthy life. AND THERE'S NO WAY YOU WOULD DO THAT :D

Well now, I've just gone on and on, rambling away. [Anything to keep away from those dreaded books.] But I just wanted to say that a month from now I know you'll look back at this experience as another lesson learned and make different choices as you move down your successful path in life.

Thanks for all your support. Glad to have you back in the saddle. And I look forward to joining in this Sunday's roll call with you when we post our big losses since the first of the month falls on a Sunday this time.

soon to be,
thininLA
LAwoman
Preferred member

Postby Dean0408 » April 26th, 2005, 10:18 am

Rae,

I am still curious on the mysterious 10 pounds you discussed. Are you going to weigh yourself mid-week to see if it is still there? I would be interested in knowing what the outcome is.

Dean
Dean0408
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby joysea » April 26th, 2005, 10:35 am

Dear Rae,
Thank you so much for your soul-full confession....I was in somewhat the same situation. I began my eating orgy last Tuesday through Thursday, and gained 6 pounds. I felt absolutely depressed and bitterly remorseful.

I pulled myself up, brushed myself off and continued on my journey. On Friday I restarted with all the energy of a slug...but continued thorugh ketosis and battled every sugar demon in my path.

I really missed reporting in to roll call this week, but made up for it today. I lost 7.7 pounds since last Tuesday which actually puts me at a real loss of 1.9 pounds. So now I am back in the game!

Believe me, I thank you for having the courage to come forward and post your traumatic experience with food....but it was just a slight "blip" on the radar....you will be back at goal in no time.

And never, ever consider yourself anything less than perfect - you are a role model in my eyes. You are working through the tough times....as we all must.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing us to "feel" your pain as well as your happiness.

Joyce
Joyce

Highest Weight 198//166.3/130
joysea
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby raederle » April 26th, 2005, 10:50 am

Thanks, LAWoman, for keeping me in your thoughts-- it just makes my day to think that a near-"stranger" far away in sunny CA is thinkin' about my psycho issues while she procrastinates from her studying during a loooong walk in the park! :mrgreen:

Dean, I admit it-- I was curious, too! 10 pounds in 4 days?!?! Could it be possible?!?! So I hopped on this morning, to find I had already lost 4.6 pounds of the original 10. As I certainly didn't burn 17,000 calories yesterday, it's clear that you guys were right, and that I probably didn't need to freak out quite as grievously as I did. It still mystifies me that a person can take on or lose 4.6 pounds of water in a day, but it certainly taught me a lesson about how (un)reliable those scale numbers are. I'm gonna keep on shakin' back to 125 to make sure I can do it, and to see how long it takes to return to goal for future reference. Maybe at that point I'll keep going to 120, something I flirted with before.

Or maybe I'll just sigh with relief that I came back safely from the brink...!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby LilMsTexas » April 26th, 2005, 11:00 am

Dear Jodie,
It has taken me a little bit to figure out what I wanted to say to you about recent "events" we'll call them. First of all.....I KNEW something was going on with you. I don't know HOW I knew..but I just did. You might have even seen me say right in the middle of one post "where is Raederle anyway?" I've had you on my mind so much and hadn't seen you really posting but ever once in a while.

So...here we are. Everyone has said all the "oh it's ok" and "this to shall pass" and "won't you be stronger next time" so there's no need for me to get into all that. You of course know that you will get the weight right back off and do better next time.

I think what I want to say to you relates to only one statement you made. I didn't quote it, so it won't be word for word here...but it is something I have said soooo many times that it absolutely struck the deepest cord when I saw you write it........How can we be such intelligent, educated people.....running our lives and often times the lives of others...responsible for so many things....know ALL of the nutrition information inside and out and up and down and sideways...and yet CONTINUE to CHOOSE to harm ourselves? Why is this the ONE area that we don't (I won't say can't) control? How can we be such "thinking" people and yet continue to over and over and over again make these choices??

I am a dang Probation officer dealing with people and their addictions on a daily basis and believe me when I say I KNOW the steps inside and out!! Well, addiction and recovery often times require a fall unfortunatley. We relapse into the familiar. To be truly in recovery we have to know that we are indeed IN recovery for the rest of our lives. Alcoholics are alcoholics everyday for the rest of their lives. This is your lesson. It is MY lesson.

I admire and respect you as a thinking, intelligent woman and friend. You were one of the first to make me feel welcome here and your encouraging and good, sound advice, got me through my first days.
Now get your butt in gear and get back on maintenance so you'll have it all figured out by the time I get there! How am I going to cheat and just follow your food plans if you don't have them written down for me? ;)

Be good to yourself Jodie. I'll be keeping a hug ready for you on a moments notice :hug:
GOD BLESSED TEXAS!
Christi AKA LilMsTexas

5'5", 36 YEARS YOUNG!
186.8/145.2/135
LilMsTexas

Postby raederle » April 26th, 2005, 11:09 am

joysea wrote:Thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing us to "feel" your pain as well as your happiness.

It seems funny to be thanked for subjecting other people to my agonies! ;) But thank you for your note. And congrats on your quick and successful return to compliance-- 1.9 pounds lost over and above the few pounds you gained during the food orgy is a GREAT accomplishment. Looks like no harm done, and lesson learned, for both of us! :hug:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby Guest » April 26th, 2005, 11:09 am

Hey Rae -

I am in the same boat... It was my 22nd anniversary on Saturday and hubbie and I went out of town, and left medifast at home. When I weighed yesterday I too was up 10 pounds....I was extremely depressed about it. I was so close to the 50# club and I sabotaged weeks of work in a weekend.

But needless to say....I am back on the horse (the medifast horse that is) today and I agree that alot has to be water, and that ever present (constipation) issue that I have had. I definitely did not consume 35,000 calories, but I had my share and did partake in the margaritas.

I probably won't weigh for a few days, but I am hoping (and praying) that it will leave as quickly as it arrived and all will be right with the world!

You did not fail us. It is just a great realization to all of us, that making it to maintenance is not a license to eat what you please as you please. It will be a struggle and as many have said, much more difficult than the weightloss phase itself. Your story and those from others just give us more education in the process of weight loss and maintenance. Thanks for sharing.

Like Nancy said...step out and move on. I'm going to and I know you will too.

Maura

Postby Dean0408 » April 26th, 2005, 11:44 am

Rae,

Thanks for the quick response. See? You have already lost half of the weight you thought you had gained yesterday. I knew something was fishy. Since you took the 10 pound gain so seriously yesterday, you must take the 4.6 pound loss in one day just as seriously. If you are at 130 pounds now, and this weight loss trend continues, this means in approximately 28 days.........YOU WILL COMPLETELY DISAPPEAR!!! :shock:

Will you be bringing the turtle back to show progress towards 120 pounds? I think you should use a race car or a jet........cause I have a feeling this is going to be quick.

Dean
Dean0408

Postby raederle » April 26th, 2005, 1:02 pm

:D Chris, you're the best. It's kinda funny (not funny ha-ha, I suppose) that you were wonderin' where I was and what I was up to for a while, because the biggest reason I was reluctant to post what had happened was YOU! :mrgreen: What I mean is, I was so happy for the success you've had (and WILL have!), and wanted it to continue-- so the last thing I wanted was to make you worry that maintenance is as hard as weight loss, because I know it's something you've expressed some concerns about. I know how stupid that sounds, because I know you KNOW that maintenance will be hard... And I know YOU are a strong person who isn't gonna be derailed by a few margaritas and nachos that *I* chug down. I just didn't want to write anything that would make you doubt for a second that YOU CAN do it when you get there, and I was worried that my screw-up would take away some of that confidence. :oops:

Is that silly? :nutz: Like you said, how can we be rational, intelligent people in all respects except food...? :mrgreen:

Hey Maura-- according to Dean's School of Weight Loss Mathematics, I should be disappearing in just a few weeks. ;) So that means you oughtta be pretty close behind me! Guess we better up the margarita intake so that doesn't happen! :buddies: I sure wish MF would formulate a nutritious, low-calorie, controlled-carbohydrate chambord margarita... with lite salt, of course, for leg cramps! :mrgreen:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby Dean0408 » April 26th, 2005, 1:35 pm

Rae,

Don't be shocked.......but this post will contain NO humor whatsoever. I just want to comment on your maintenance.

First, since we shared your weight loss with you and because you are the first one I have seen go on maintenance since I joined the forum, I am learning from your experiences.

Second, when I go on maintenance.......I intend to have times when I do just as you did.........have some drinks and eat whatever I want. Not often mind you........but if I am invited out.....or to a party.......or a cookout......or have a party.....and also on special occasions (such as holidays or birthdays), I will eat, drink and be merry. This means I may gain a couple of pounds from time to time (just as you did). I also intend to watch myself at other times.......in order to lose whatever I gained while behaving just as all the other people at these events are behaving.

If you had stayed perfectly at your goal weight while on maintenance, if you had set the example of being the "outsider" at the Mexican Restaurant........drinking only water......and eating only greens and some lean meat............I would learn NOTHING from you.

When I see you regain your goal weight in short order, I will see that maintenance is just that........maintenance. Watching where you are........and doing what is necessary to maintain...........while at the SAME time, enjoying life periodically with regard to eating and socializing.

The key to maintenance in my opinion is not to let things get out of hand. To keep them controlled without being so strict with yourself that you won't even have a piece of your own birthday cake.

Everyone on this forum is finally doing the right thing for themselves. The problem most people have is that they waited way too long to begin. If I began when I was 5 pounds over rather than 35 pounds over......it would have been much easier. (of course 35 pounds may not seem like much to some.......but I am glad I started when I did rather than waiting longer because I was on the road to some serious weight gain)

To sum up, I foresee my maintenance to be very similar to yours......you gain some you lose some. When you succeed in eliminating the recent blip, I will feel reassured knowing that maintenance is an ongoing task of vigilance, moderation and adjustment, rather than total denial of all the things we love to eat and drink.

Dean
Dean0408

Postby kassilou » April 26th, 2005, 1:59 pm

Dean,

I think that sums it up perfectly. We won't, and can't, be perfect. Maintenance is not about always seeing that "magical" number we've each chosen...it is being vigilant about not straying too far from that number while actually living our lives. :kool:
To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals.
~Ben Franklin
kassilou
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby bikipatra » April 26th, 2005, 2:10 pm

YUM, I have never had a chambord margarita! I love raspberries! On my binge I had Raspberry White chocolate Truffle Ice Cream. It wasn't worth it... :oops:
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby DonicaB » April 26th, 2005, 2:21 pm

Excellent post Dean. I totally agree with what maintenance is suppose to be. I like your philosophy about being vigilant. That is exactly what I intend to do. Of course, I have to get there first.

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

PreviousNext

Return to Maintenance