Serendipity

1 Thread per registered User.

Postby Serendipity » January 28th, 2008, 11:38 am

DarkAndStormy wrote:I am just so mad at myself. 6 months ago I would have had another 20 pounds to my goal. Now I am even too embarrassed to say how much I have to lose. But like I said, I would be happy with 20 pounds lost right now.

Beth, No looking back, just look ahead. There's nothing you can do to change it, so just move on and make yourself proud.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Serendipity » January 28th, 2008, 11:39 am

katesmom wrote:Hi Jo,
Just wanted to thank you for writing to me...Hope you stick around !

Pam, I've been here for almost 2 1/2 yrs. I'm not going anywhere. What gave you that idea?
jo
Serendipity

Postby katesmom » January 28th, 2008, 11:41 am

Nothing...Just seems like you are such a solid, strong and successful person here and we all need your support !! I guess I should say I look forward to it !
356/331/150
Started 7/24/10
Can't wait to WIN this race !!
katesmom
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby dede4wd » January 28th, 2008, 12:24 pm

Hi Jo,
Hope you had a great weekend and a blast out on the town! I know crazy busy season is starting for you, so I hope you enjoyed it!
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Serendipity » January 28th, 2008, 2:17 pm

dede4wd wrote:Hi Jo,
Hope you had a great weekend and a blast out on the town! I know crazy busy season is starting for you, so I hope you enjoyed it!

Yeah, it was like our last little fling before the stuff hits the fan, hehe. Thanks, dede. We did have a great time.
jo
Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » February 3rd, 2008, 5:01 am

G'morning peeps,

As many of you know, as of January 1, I made the decision to give up sweets. I want you to know that my sanity has returned and I feel great about the decision. It has turned out to be a good decision because I was feeling my control slip away and it was not a good feeling.

Anyway, it hasn't been without effort. I've had moments where I truly drooled over the thought, like when I took my employees out for a birthday lunch and everyone had my all-time favorite dessert --------home made reeses pie drizzled with chocolate sauce, topped with whipped cream, home made graham cracker crust--------ok, I'm drooling again.....argh. There's just something about that pie. The waitress said "It's almost too rich". I laughed and said there's no such thing as too rich. Anyway, I resisted and was the hero of lunch because we are all trying to watch what we eat this tax season.

Yesterday, I ate bread for the first time this year, by plan, but I must have been feeling a bit of guilt because I dreamed one of my binge dreams last night. For once, in this dream, I had the nasty in hand. (this time it was home made lemon bread with lemon glaze)......I brought the bread to my mouth and just before I took a bite I said "What am I doing? I've given this stuff up!" and didn't eat it. So I had a dream NSV, hehe. My subconsious is winning........finally!

I always like Sundays because I get to read about everyone's success for the week. Hoping this one is a good one.
jo
Serendipity

Postby Tawanda » February 3rd, 2008, 9:54 am

Jo, I did not remember reading that you've given up on sweets (could just be I knew but my mental-pause brain lost the information?) This is something that I feel that I have to do also. I seem to have a mental if not physical reaction to sugary foods. When I begin eating them, I lose any desire to control the amounts of the sugary foods.

So.......I am afraid that this will be my reality (no sweets) if I wish to control my appetite and weight.

Thank you for writing this today.....I needed to read it.
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby lifelovinaries » February 3rd, 2008, 10:30 am

Good for you Jo! I KNOW that sweets are my triggers too. The funny thing is, sweets will make me crave pasta and breads and vice versa. In essence, it's all sugar. So whenever i finally get to maintenance, i'm afraid i wll have to take that road too. btw, did you have to be soooo descriptive with the reese's pie? :lol: And the lemon bread? (never had that one but it sounds good!) Jeez, now i'm drooling! :x

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries

Postby lifelovinaries » February 3rd, 2008, 10:38 am

*duplicate post deleted*
Last edited by lifelovinaries on February 3rd, 2008, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries

Postby DogMa » February 3rd, 2008, 11:08 am

You never know. They used to be a huge trigger for me, too. I'm still working on it some, but it seems like the less I banish them from my life, the more control I have. Last night I felt like having chocolate. I thought about it awhile, and thought about having something chocolate-like instead (like diet hot cocoa), and decided no, I wanted the real thing. I had one little piece of really good dark chocolate, and was done.

Then again, I don't generally go around eating pies and cakes and that kind of stuff. But I refuse to tell myself I can't have it. Or to tell myself I can't control myself if I do. Because I CAN control myself, darn it. I spent most of my life letting food control me, and I am NOT going to let it happen again. For me, being thin isn't enough if I'm not in control of my life. I decide what I eat and how much - not the carbs, not the sweets, not even the stupid bananas.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Serendipity » February 3rd, 2008, 12:42 pm

Well, Robin, I guess you're one of the lucky ones. I can "control" my cravings, but I do not like the cravings in the first place. I don't like having to have that conversation with myself each and every time I see a sugar laden lump of something. I don't like it at all.

When I said I felt as if I was losing control, that was over Christmas when I was having the inner argument about giving it up for good. I found myself allowing everything I wanted because, heck, I just might give this stuff up and, heck, I'd better have as much as I can right now because...blah blah blah. I was able to control these things throughout my first year on maintenance, but from early on, it was a struggle and there were times I let loose, then I would reign myself in. I didn't pile on the weight, but I was just so uncomfortable and in conflict within myself.

I'm finding that with no choice to make, my inner arguing is all but gone. I am so much more content. For me it has been a choice between the taste of sweet things and the sanity that I so need in my life.

Kudos to anyone who can control it without the struggle.

Anyhow, it's really not that bad. I still have my MF pudding and bars that thankfully don't cause the "Imusthavemore" reflex, and I can eat sweet fruit, nuts, unsweetened peanut butter, etc. I can drink diet soda, have sweet tea. I just have to stay away from refined sugar and it's all good.

BTW, when I say for good, I really mean for good for now and I'm trying not to think about forever. That's too hard to do. One day, week, month, at a time.
jo
Serendipity

Postby DogMa » February 3rd, 2008, 3:12 pm

Maybe it's the word "craving." I don't view wanting a piece of chocolate as a craving. And for me, lately, it seems like if I just eat the piece of chocolate (or whatever it is I feel like having), I'm OK afterward. It's when I refuse to let myself have it that I continue wanting it, and the want grows until it becomes a craving - something that I feel like I MUST have and that I want a lot of. And something I just can't stop thinking about. If I head it off by having a small amount, I'm done with it.

But this is with stuff I truly want, on my own. Not something I want just because it's there, like cinnamon rolls a co-worker brought to the office or something.

As usual, whatever works. But I know for me, denying myself and keeping whole groups of foods off-limits doesn't seem to work long-term. So just as I used to go off-program sometimes intentionally, to train myself to display self-control and eat something unhealthy but go right back to the plan, I do the same now. And I suspect it's easier now because I've had so much practice. One "bad" meal does not make me go over the edge anymore. I either work treats into my day's calories, or I kind of make up for an unhealthy meal by cutting back a little for a few days. It might not work for everyone, but it works for me. And keeps me feeling in control. And not deprived.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Serendipity » February 3rd, 2008, 5:38 pm

Lucky you.
jo
Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » February 5th, 2008, 6:28 am

Hubbie and I went to the cabin on Sunday and took lots of pictures. I posed as if I was splitting firewood (yeah, right) and it was pretty funny because I could hardly pick up the splitter. Anyway, I was going to post one here, but the look on my face is way too goofy for prime time. We had fun, though.

I have bad news. :cry: I've been banned from making my oatmeal at work. The boss (DH) can't stand the smell. He's been putting up with it, so he says, for a long time and now he's putting his big fat foot down. :x Well, hhrrruuummmmppphhhh. I asked him how he would like the smell of cinnimon rolls drenched in that yummy carby icing......

I don't let him win very many.....this time I'll let him think he won......however, I've gotten a new taste for The Chai Latte, hehe.
jo
Serendipity

Postby Lizabette » February 5th, 2008, 4:42 pm

Hey, JO. Just trying to catch up on your posts...it's fun reading.
I'm up a couple pounds from my goal and needing some inspiration to pull me back down.
Fortunately my clothes sizes seem to be the same, a bit tighter, perhaps.
I'm just now getting back into the exercise groove...after about three weeks of really battling the bug.
About the sweets, I actually had left off sweets except for a sweet treat on Sunday, but forbidden bites have a way of slipping in, so I really know what to do.
Anyway I appreciate having a stalwart example like you here to emulate...I also have a good, and sometimes not so welcome helper...DH.
He tells me "I worked too hard to get to where I am to let it go."
I hate it when he is so right!
:mrgreen:
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

PreviousNext

Return to My Journal