Serendipity and Mellowmom

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Serendipity and Mellowmom

Postby Ct. Yankee » May 9th, 2006, 7:16 pm

I have called Curves for information and will be going in to register next week. I am just wondering how both of you are finding the program, and does it really increase weight loss? I have been very sedendary and do not want to shock this old body too much!!! It may turn to stone!!!! :D I would appreciate any info you both can tell me---Thanks, much!!! :?:

Joan
Ct. Yankee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby MusicalMomma » May 10th, 2006, 4:41 am

Hi Joan...I'm not Jo or Carmel...BUT, I used to go to Curves and even worked there in the evenings, a couple of years ago. It is a REALLY good program! AND combined with medifast, you'll get good results. Since you ARE on medifast, only do Curves the recommended 3x per week. I'd also recommend going around the circut only one time for the first few times, then build up to twice. IF you are feeling GREAT after doing once around the circut, then add more until you're up to twice. I'd also recommend watching VERY closely how hungry you are the day AFTER curves...if you find you are struggling those days, add a shake on the days you do curves. Of course on the days you are not at curves, you can take a light walk or do a low impact video.

Hope that helps :) Enjoy Curves!
MusicalMomma

Postby Ct. Yankee » May 10th, 2006, 4:53 am

Joyce, thank you so much for your good advice re: Curves!! ;)
I am really looking forward to trying it out. Gotta get this old butt of mine moving, it's time!! Your input is valuable to us and the encouragement that you give to everyone here is so appreciated! :D :D

I only addressed this topic to the other girls because I had read their posts mentioning Curves and was most interested in what they had to say about the circuit. All replies are certainly appreciated and most welcome. Thanks, again! ;) :D

Joan
Last edited by Ct. Yankee on May 10th, 2006, 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ct. Yankee

Postby Serendipity » May 10th, 2006, 4:58 am

Hey Joan,

I love Curves! For me, it's just the right amount of exercise for now. I plan to add more later, but I'm in no hurry. After I'm done exercising, I feel great....and I feel like I've had a good workout.

I don't get weighed or measured at Curves (actually, I didn't want Curves to take the credit for my weight loss when I know it's Medifast, lol). I'm not even sure it has increased or decreased my loss. For the first few weeks, I was on a plateau and that may have been caused by the added exercise, but I'm not sure. I started Curves after a 10 year rebellion against exercise.....I was about as sedentary as you can get, but I was able to do the circuit twice from the start. While you are on the recovery mats (between the machines), you can do as little or as much as you want. I started out just sort of marching in place. Now, I jog between and exercise my arms, too.

Don't be tempted to go more than 3 times/wk or to do the circuit more than twice. You will see results with that amount. I've been doing it since January and I can really tell a difference in my muscle tone.

I always have my bar with a cup of tea just before I go and I have a shake within an hour of finishing. I also drink water halfway through. That's what works for me......I have never been hungry on an exercise day.

Hope this helps and I hope you like it as much as I do. :lol:
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Serendipity » May 10th, 2006, 5:00 am

Oh another little side note....

I have a friend who is not overweight who has been going to Curves for 2 years. She did not lose any weight, but she lost inches and lost a full size!
jo
Serendipity

Postby Ct. Yankee » May 10th, 2006, 5:43 am

Jo, thanks so very much!! I, too, was looking for a 'place to start' exercising and Curves sounds ideal. I am looking forward to my appointment I have next week for their tour!! Most likely, like you and Joyce mentioned, I think that I will start slow with one circuit and go on from there. And, I will make sure that I have something like a shake or bar before I go and if need be, an extra shake as the situation calls for it.

Oh, I am sooo grateful for all your good advice, thank you, thank you! Geez, I must really be committed, huh?, if I am starting an exercise program, too!!!! Wow! Way to go, self!!!!:D :D :D

Sincerely, Joan
Ct. Yankee

Postby mellowmom » May 13th, 2006, 10:01 pm

HI Joan,

I just saw your posting today requesting information about Curves. I've been going for a month now. Started slowly doing just one circuit every other day. Didn't really have any problem with that pace and certainly felt that I could have jumped up to the full 2 circuits within a week, but I waited an extra couple of days before going full tilt.

Unfortunately, I truly have one of those addictive personalities, and now find myself going 5-6 days a week. I know it's too much, so I plan on making a big effort to cutback and go walking on my "off" days.

Since starting Curves, last month I've lost 16 pounds, and reduced my body fat by 3%. However, I haven't lost as many inches as I thought I would, and I think it's directly attributed to "over excecising" at Curves. I actually gained inches in my arms and I'm pretty sure it's because I'm building up some serious muscles from the workouts. Also, my weight loss this 2nd month was less than the first, but I think that's normal and doesn't have anything to do with adding exercise.

So would I recommend Curves...absolutely. Would I start slowly...Yup. Should you go more often that 3x per week...NOPE! Hopefully, you be able to learn from my mistake. Three times per week and no more and you'll look and feel great.

Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Ct. Yankee » May 14th, 2006, 4:39 am

Carmel, thank you, thank you, sooo much!!! :D

Curves, it is!!!! Have an appointment on Wednesday for orientation. Thanks to you and Jo for all the encouragement and info. Very appreciated! :D

Joan
Ct. Yankee

Postby Arklahoma » May 14th, 2006, 6:55 am

I've often wondered about curves. Is it expensive? Do you have to sign a contract?
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Ct. Yankee » May 14th, 2006, 7:40 am

Hi Ark, :)

Jo and Carmel probably could answer your questions about Curves sooner than I can. I am going in to talk to them on Wednesday. I will check back to see if you were able to get answers to your questions. Have a good Sunday. :D

Joan
Ct. Yankee

Postby Serendipity » May 14th, 2006, 3:01 pm

hey,

It's $29/month, I think. It automatically gets charged to my visa. You sign a contract, but you can get out of it. If you decide you want out, all you have to do is reimburse them for the difference between the month by month fee vs. the yearly discounted fee. I think that amounts to about $10 more per month. So if you go three months and decide you want out of the year contract, you would have to pay $30. Hope this helps.

Additional note about the frequency of visits: I was told that the three days a week is optimal because the day between workouts is important so that your muscles have time to recover between workouts. I guess that makes sense.
jo
Serendipity

Postby mellowmom » May 14th, 2006, 7:49 pm

Well everything is just a tad bit more expensive out West...(don't get me started on gas... :x

Here it's $39/month. There's also supposed to be a registration fee, though our club waves it if you donate a bag of groceries to a women's shelter in the area. I don't remember how much the registation charge is..

What Jo said is absolutely right on. You need those extra in-between days to give your muscles a chance to cool down and repair. Excercise kind of tears the muscle fiber so the days off give them time to heal.

But apart from "overdoing it" lately, I do feel great since starting back with Curves. :weightlift: I'm sure you'll enjoy it also.

Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom

Postby supermom » May 14th, 2006, 9:15 pm

I belong to a club here in Amarillo. We have CURVES, but I didn't join there. I joined the Lady's Spa. They have a circuit EXACTLY like the Curves circuit. I love the curves like equipment. I chose this other club, though, because they also have regular aerobics, eliptical machines, treadmills, bikes, free weights, and resistance weights as well as spinning classes and belly dancing classes. Plus, they have a pool for water aerobics and on Monday and Wednesday they have free 1 hour massages by appointment. I pay $49 a month, but it is worth it. They have childcare for my kids, and my husband can go to their "brother" gym, Gold's Gym. And, my kids and I can go to Gold's as well. We can all go swimming no matter what the weather. So as far as curves goes, go for it!!! The circuit is great. The only thing I don't like is the music. My gym never changes up the music. It is all Elvis. Don't get me wrong, I like Elvis, but enough is enough already. I like Elvis the way he was. Not jazzed up with the disco tech beat!!!
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Arklahoma » May 15th, 2006, 3:48 am

Thanks for all the info guys.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby MusicalMomma » May 15th, 2006, 4:45 am

Ark...they also have a month to month plan that is $10 more per month than if you had a year contract. You don't have to sign a contract with the month to month, but you don't get the benefit of going to ANY Curves in the nation (if you're travelling) and they don't guarantee your rates, meaning they "can" increase at any time (but they have yet to increase in 2 years)
MusicalMomma

Next

Return to Weight Loss