Do I really need Medifast?

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Do I really need Medifast?

Postby DC Esquire » November 28th, 2004, 11:36 am

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and still deciding if Medifast is right for me. I'm 5'6" and 168 pounds. I'm 33 and I used to be very active, but since I finished law school and started working I sit for long periods of time and eat a LOT of junk. I was about 130 pounds in high school and college, and stayed that way through no dieting effort. I was just lucky back then. I'd like to get back down to that weight and my size 6. I'm currently a size 12-14, depending on the clothing, and I don't really like the thought of being a double-digit size!

My question is am I a severe enough case for Medifast? It seems very drastic. If I forced myself to go to the gym and put aside the double mocha lattes and blueberry muffins, I know the weight would come off. I also know Medifast is a much quicker way to do it. The only thing is I have no intention of ever living on these products for the rest of my life under some maintenance plan. I think real food in moderation is the key longer term, not living on Medifast products. But that’s a discussion for after the goal weight is achieved.

As of last week, my blood pressure and cholesterol were perfect, and I have no health problems whatsoever. My doctor is not against Medifast in extreme cases, but he's not in favor of it for me because he says I am only overweight and not obese, and that diet modification and exercise would be better for me for long term weight maintenance. I know that's true and I want to tackle those issues, but I also want to get the extra weight off as fast as possible.

Sorry for the long message, but any thoughts?

DC Esquire
DC Esquire

Postby shineface » November 28th, 2004, 1:52 pm

DC esq---

What's to say - you asked and answered your own questions in your own post - a little of the lawyer of you coming out I would say!

Here's the deal --- MF works and safely takes the weight off quickly-- the support on this forum is wonderful and critical to success for me - and so many fun and intelligent and caring and strong people have become a bonus in my life. We are all here because we made a decision that we were/are not comfortable with how we feel or look or our health or .... you have to make that decision for yourself --- my thought is that although you talk yourself in and out of using MF there is something here that strikes a chord for you otherwise we wouldn't be having this "conversation" ---

The best thing you can do for you is LISTEN to your heart, your gut and your instincts - then decide... we're not going anywhere.

WE WILL DO THIS TOGETHER!!!! :stroll:
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Nancy » November 28th, 2004, 4:23 pm

I guess that if you REALLY believe that you CAN lose weight by eating sensibly and exercising regularly, then why haven't you done it?

Medifast is for people who want to lose a little bit of weight - 15 pounds or less and it is for people that need to lose a significant amount of weight.

Medifast is for people that do not want to lose any weight at all but who just want to have better nutrition, who want a convenient healthy FAST food, or who need the benefits of specific nutrients to control disease or control condition-related issues such as arthritis or menopause or for folks who want to be able to work out or participate in sporting activities and have sustained energy release and rapid muscle recovery following an event.

I think real food in moderation is the key longer term, not living on Medifast products

No one says that you MUST live on Medifast for the rest of your life, we CHOOSE to use some of the products every day because we feel better than we ever have, it is so convenient - lemme tell ya, it is much more time- and cost-effective to carry in a box of good-for-us food once a month than driving to the organic food store every couple of days, shopping in a crowded store, hauling in bags of food and then chopping, preparing meals, cleaning up, etc. We have a lot more time to do the things we love to do and to just plain mess around!

Most people do not have the time nor the capacity to carefully plan and prepare nutritious foods and then to eat them in moderation. If we did, there would be no overweight people.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby TamiL » November 30th, 2004, 4:59 am

DC-

I too am 33 years old...155 pounds (used to be 185-190 before medifast)I used to weigh 130 pounds and that was a good healthy weight for me...size 7/8...I have been up and down with my weight my whole life, but years ago I got to 130 by working out and watching what I ate..cutting down on carbs..and of course going thru a divorce helped a bit!! my nerves..stress...the weight just fell off of me....well..time passed and I gained weight...got back up to 185 and was miserable..then I found medifast!!
well now that Im in a more stressful job...single and dont like to cook much...dont have time to worry about what I am going to eat for breakfeast, lunch and dinner...I have 5-6 supplements a day, including 3 medifast shakes and 2 other supplements...and at times I have a lean/green meal if I have the time/will to Cook or go to dinner!! I lost 30 pounds...and am holding steady at 155..only because I have been slipping off/on the program...weakness...laziness...excuse after excuse I could give you!! but Im back on track latley...i dont weigh myself..but I bet Im down to 150 by now....with only 20 pounds to go!!
I think medifast tastes great..and even when I get to maintenence..I will still use the shakes..they taste great...they fill me up....they have all the nutrients and things I need in them..protien....and it just WORKS if you work it!! If its fast weight loss and convience you want....Medifast is the way to go....you dont have to stay on it the rest of your life...you just have to learn how to eat properly and change your lifestyle!!
this forum is a great place to come and post your sucesses and worries...it will be a year in February since I found this forum...and although I have been on and off....dissapear for a while..then return...it always welcomes me back..no matter what..its forgiving, understanding and everyone here is my little medifast family...everyone here understands ....we are all here for the same purpose!! weather you are 15 pounds or 115 pounds overweight!!
anyhooo....whatever decision you make....goodluck!!
Tami ;)
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Sylvia » November 30th, 2004, 8:13 am

I think Nancy hit the nail on the head. Almost everyone would agree that it would be preferable to be able to lose weight by eating healthier and exercising more. The bottom line is that many/most of us have not been able to do this. I never would have imagined that I could be successful on a program like MF, but I have been. When I started, I never imagined that I might want to use the products longer term. It turns out that I do want to use them because they taste good, are healthy and are convenient.

Doing this plan changed more than just my weight and overall health. It changed my relationship with food. It changed my perspective on what and how much to eat and it also changed my view on how to eat on a longer term basis. Even without the weight loss, doing this plan helped me to build healthier habits that will serve me well from here on.

You need to make the decision that is right for you and then, you need to COMMIT to it. Medifast or any other plan is just a tool - it is your commitment and willingness to adhere to a plan that makes it work.
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

count me in

Postby hotchick » November 30th, 2004, 11:13 am

DC...
I echo the sentiments of all before me. I am a newbie..Started 11/22/04, I have lost 10 lbs in a week. I am 43 and started at 208. I just woke up one morning and said I have had enough. I am tired of being fat, tired and out of breath. I do not want to die of a heart attack because I did not try to do something. :roll:
Now I have tried every diet under the sun and they were all inconvenient and most of the time I was starving... :shock:

the shakes does taste pretty good, and I am full. The biggest hurdle I have is drinking all that water...

Shake it up baby...The court room won't know what hit them! You'll win the case just because they will be in awe of your beauteous self when you get to goal! :-P

just my opinion!
hotchick
Regular Member - #20 Club

Re: Do I really need Medifast?

Postby LongWay2go » December 1st, 2004, 5:29 am

DC Esquire wrote:My question is am I a severe enough case for Medifast? It seems very drastic.

DC, there is nothing severe or drastic about this plan, at least from a negative connotation. It is severe if good health is important to you. Being soy protein based, you won't find a better, more nutritious meal and talk about easy to fix! Drastic? Do you want to lose 2 pounds a month eating in moderation, or wow them at the New Year's party with your dramatic 20-30 pound loss?

Yes, you see some "big losers" here but give us a few intelligence credits. Most of us checked out MediFast thoroughly to be sure it was a safe and healthy way to lose weight. Apparently John-Hopkins seems to think so! You've seen those "miracle cure diet pills" on TV, right? Well we all know those are B*S*. MediFast is the real thing. Whether you need to lose 10 pounds or 300, it is a safe, effective, fast way to lose weight.

~Gerald
08/06/2004
on hiatus until "Vic the Vac" goes away!

WARNING: Don't try this at home, kids...
Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby shineface » December 1st, 2004, 7:11 pm

SO DC ----

What are your thoughts after the input??? I am interested to know if you have any other questions.

WE WILL DO THIS TOGETHER!!! :stroll:
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Return to Come on in.