I'm new to Medifast

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

I'm new to Medifast

Postby Bamagirl » August 1st, 2004, 3:18 pm

Hello everyone.

I'm not sure how to post so I hope this comes up in the right place. I just started today and am starving. About 2 o'oclock I decided to eat my meal and ate the skin on the chicken. Lots of skin. I thought I could make it til dinner. I did not think I would be so hungry. I like the shakes but I'm still hungry after i have one. In any case, I was thinking I wanted to do the full fast but I'm having problems with the 5 and 1 plan. I would appreciate any help and advice. Thanks
Bamagirl
First Post

Welcome Bamagirl

Postby healthyhobo » August 2nd, 2004, 8:58 am

How often are you eating the meal replacements? Make sure to drink at least 8oz of water with each meal. You might try the multi-crackers, they are small but help with the urges to eat something else. You may find that using the medifast 70 may help with the hunger they are 15 grams more of protein. It may depend on how active you are. How many hours you are awake will determine how many meals you have. Keep in mind the 5 and 1 are just to keep your regular meals to 1 but by having another medifast meal is only 90 to 110 calories. So you may consider eating every 2-3 hours. I hope this helps. Stay connected or email nancy for support. She has kept the weight off and looks great. As she always says, nothing tastes as good as thin feels.

Talk to you soon,
Healthy Hobo
Walstreet the Healthy Hobo
healthyhobo

Postby Bamagirll » August 2nd, 2004, 1:02 pm

Thanks Healthyhobo.

I'm just getting started. I need to lose 100 pounds. I have been on 100s of diets but never stick with it. Although I'm starving I'm going to stick with this. I feel this is my last chance to lose. I had not been drinking water so I will add that. One question, how many crackers can we have a day. How does that work. Is it a snack or replacement?. Can you lose on the Medifast 70 just as fast. Thanks
Bamagirll

Postby Simmshe » August 2nd, 2004, 2:09 pm

Hello Bamagirl,

I've only been on Medifast for 20 days, but I'll give my opinion about my experience so far.

If you have read around the forum a bit, you have probably seen people talking about how difficult it is to make it through the first three days. You will feel like you are absolutely starving as your body adjusts to taking in so few calories and switching to fat burning mode. Some people, myself included, have their shakes about every two hours instead of every three hours during the first three days or so. Also, have an extra shake, if needed. And, as Healthy Hobo said, drink lots of water (at least 64 oz. a day). It will take all of the will power that you can muster to make it through the first three days, especially, but the hunger truly subsides after this (doesn't go away completely, but the hunger becomes normal, not like you are starving).

Doing the 5 in 1 is more difficult than doing the full fast for some people because they find that they cannot stop eating after their one meal. It might be easier for you to do the full fast for your first three or four days (until your excessive hunger subsides) and then switch to the 5 in 1 :?:. I'm following the full fast because I'm in the group of people who cannot handle eating a small meal right now and I wanted to break my dependence on food.

Also, I started out using the 70 shakes and it didn't hamper my weight loss at all (I lost 16lbs my first week). I'm a big girl, with a fair amount of lean mass (from working out for four years and genetics), and am relatively active, so I prefer to have more protein than what the 55 shakes offer. I do use the 55 shakes now, but I alternate them with the fruit punch drink (my personal favorite) because the fruit punch has more protein than any of the shakes but the same calories as the 55 shakes (it has 15 grams of protein vs. 14 grams in the 70 shakes). Overall, I did find the 70 shakes to be more filling (and will be switching back to them once I run out of the 55s I bought). With the 70 shakes I can go almost four hours between shakes, but with the 55 shakes, three hours is my max.

Lastly, the crackers are considered a snack (goes well with soup) and we are allowed one pack a day.

It may take a bit of trial and error before you figure out which plan will work for you, but just keep trying. Many of us start again several times before we successfully make it through the first three days. It took me a couple of attempts (even made it to day six before I crumbled, in the past). I realized that I had to ban the bars from my plan, in the beginning. I later reintroduced them, but have decided to ban them again. I find that sometimes I crave them too much and have eaten two bars a day, twice. So these are out for now.

Hope I have been helpful. Just keep trying if you slip up on your plan and try to figure out what you might be able to do different the next time to help you make it through. Don't give up--it is worth it!

Take care,

Sheryl
Restart: 5/01/05
333/280/155

Original start: 7/13/04-12/12/04
High weight (1997): 386lbs

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure--Confucius
Simmshe
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » August 2nd, 2004, 10:20 pm

Hi BamaGirl and welcome!

Yep, HealthyHobo is right on! Drink lots of water. Every day, drink, slurp 'n burp and just keep on drinking some more. Water is the best beverage to have. Yep, only one package of the Multi-grain or Garden Vegetable crackers per day. If you have the hungries, have another shake - every 2 hours if needed. Many women do well with the Medifast 70, especially if they are very active. Frankly, most women these days live rather active lives. The added protein is needed for active folks. The difference in calories between the 55 and the 70 is but 10 per drink.

About 2 o'oclock I decided to eat my meal and ate the skin on the chicken. Lots of skin.

I detected the word 'SKIN' when you referred to eating your portion of chicken. :shock: BamaGirl, skin is nix-nix - :x Nada skin, Girl. Uh, uh! NO NO! Skin contains :twisted: F-A-T so your chicken and turkey needs to be skinless - lean all the way! ;)

Let these first few days be learning experiences, think about how thankful we can be that we have never had to really experience true hunger on a daily basis.

After the first few days, or so, the hunger will diminish. The DESIRE for food never really truly ever goes totally away...but we find the rewards for getting healthier and looking better becomes far greater than the enticement of those fatty food temptations. Food is fuel and eating lots of food is not our road to happiness. Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

Shake on!

BTW, Hello to you, HealthyHobo! I had a wonderful time 'tramping' with you on the trampoline yesterday afternoon. :-)

She has kept the weight off and looks great.

Thank you also for the nice compliment. :D

BTW, How didja like the cute new lime green shirt I wore? I bought it when I was in Baltimore. Pretty cool, eh?
Last edited by Nancy on August 3rd, 2004, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby need2succeed » August 3rd, 2004, 8:34 am

Hi Bamagirl,

Are you drinking all of the required water? That makes a serious difference in how hungry you feel. Good luck!
Starting Date: 6/21/2004
Last Weigh in: 10/05/04
210/156.5/120
need2succeed
Regular Member - #50 Club

Return to Come on in.