medifast and anti-depressants?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

medifast and anti-depressants?

Postby ror » January 12th, 2004, 12:38 pm

Anyone have any info on fasting and taking anti-depressants at the same time. my doc said I have to watch out for something called seritonin syndrom. she kinda scared me!!!!!!!!!!! has anyone continued with their meds while on this program and was there any problems?
ror

Postby susan » January 12th, 2004, 1:45 pm

HI ROR,
I WAS DIABETIC ON MED. FOR 12 YEARS AND NOW MY SUGAR IS NORMAL .I DO NOT HAFT TO TAKE IT ANY MORE.AND I;LL BET WHEN YOU GET ON MEDFAST WITH ALL THE VITIAMS THATS IN IT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO GET OFF YOUR MEDS. SO START AND AFTER YOU ARE ON 2 OR 3 WEEKS TALK TO YOUR DR. AGAIN .LET US KNOW .
SUSAN
susan
Preferred Member - #50 Club

dealing with depression

Postby Indigo » January 14th, 2004, 10:36 am

I'm hesitant to jump in here, because I don't know you, and what kind of depression you're having to deal with . . . . far be it from me to 'second guess' your doctor!

However, I have been working in mental health a looooong time (RN) and deal with depression myself. What I have learned is that everyone is different. EVERYONE. and it's up to us to find our own 'best' way.

The first thing I did was educate myself, so I could understand what was going on, and could make better choices. There is a book called 'Natural Healing for Schizophrenia and other mental health disorders' I think you can get it through Amazon.com. It talks all about what is happening in your body with everything from schizophrenia to depression. It also talks about how diet and nutritional supplements can help you find a better balance. www.thewayup.com is a good website about depression, there's an eBook you can download that is specifically about depression, and I highly recommend it!

I have no idea if you'll be able to switch from antidepressants to nutritional supplements, or even if you should! Like I said, everyone is different, and I am a little reluctant to even post this information- but I firmly believe that we know ourselves best, and the best thing we can do is educate ourselves, make good choices, and make gradual changes to improve our lives.

Best wishes . . . . .
Laurie

PS- if you can't find 'Natural Healing' on Amazon.com, let me know, and I'll find the contact information in the book I have.
Indigo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Jeanette » January 14th, 2004, 10:56 am

Hey Laurie:

My husband is also in mental health nursing...can be quite a depressing job at times! But he loves it--has been in the mental health field for about 18 years.

He has told me many times...the only difference between the patients and the staff is...the staff have keys! ;)
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Unca_Tim » January 14th, 2004, 11:15 am

Hi Ror and thanks for your input Indigo,
I'd like to add a little of my "personal opinion" here also.

I'll start with the ole beat up, tossed around saying that "We are what we eat". Of course there's family situations, life, and general day to day stress that can drag us down and add to melancholy and depression. We also know that being overweight can be a big factor in this. There are sooooooooo many benefits in getting our weight under control and getting back in good health that i need not elaborate on this.

I'm in no way trying to criticize your current or past diet, but many of us today consume countless chemicals in our food that we have no idea what effect they have had, or will have on us in the future.

My "opinion" is that, using Medifast products can greatly improve not only our physical health, but can have noticeable affects on our mental health. Not only from the better self image we gain from the weight loss, but from the steady intake of the proper vitamins, nutrients an amino acids. Couple that with good ole H2o, that few us of regularly get, we can bring our bodies back in balance and help it operate the way it was designed to operate.

My personal "opinion" again, is that you will see significant improvements in your overall well being if you use the products for an extended period. I know I feel better than ever when I'm using the products, and I've learned to listen to my body now. I can "feel" the effects from certain foods now, and i stay away from them. Unfortunately some of those foods have been my favorites for years, but the benefits i receive by staying away from them WAY outweighs any temporary bliss i receive from them. You may find in the future that alot of your problems came from a certain food, and you never realized it.

I should also add here that everything on this board should be taken as personal opinions only, and in no way be construed as medical advice. ANY medical advice or adjustment in medications should come from your doctor.

Each of us are different and react differently, but it's a great starting point to be able to share our opinions and experiences here.

Keep shakin' everyone,
:cheers:
Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby ror » January 14th, 2004, 12:09 pm

Thanks for the opinions all!!! I was put on anti-depressants about 6months ago and they made a world of wonder in my life. I went from being angry and lathargic (sp?) all the time to being able to resume my normal life. I feel that alot of my depression came from being near 400lbs. I am always in pain and never have any energy or initative to do anything about it. I think the pills have lifted me up just enough to see the light and give me the hope that I CAN change my lifestyle and change it for good this time. I did medifast when I was 17 and I was taking phen fen. I lost 160lbs in 4.5 months but gained it all back over the years by eating what i wanted and drinking and drugging. Now I'm sober (2yrs) and married and have a little daughter to live for. I KNOW when I get the majority of my weight off this time and switch to WW for re-training myself on how to eat I will probally not have any major depression issues in my life, and will be able to wein off the meds. I think at this time though, they have been a saving grace in my life. I truly hope to wein and take care of myself on a natural level once I'm ready!!!!!
Day 5 and feelin great

"Old Punks Don't Die, They Just Cash In"
~R
ror

Postby Unca_Tim » January 14th, 2004, 12:21 pm

Great strategy and plan of action R,
Modern medicine does have it's place, but sometimes i think they're handing it out like candy when just changing our diets and lifestyles can have the same effect.

You sound like you're on an excellent course now. Work with your doctor after being on Medifast for a while and you'll be drug free in no time....:)

Keep us all posted,

Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby LUVZHUZKYZ » January 17th, 2004, 8:15 pm

8) Hi Ror
I have been on and off zoloft for 11years. I can tell you that I have been thin on it, heavy on it and it has helped me immensely. I would go off for a year, sometimes two thinking " well I feel great, let me ditch it" and I seem to go back to my negative thinking, panic attacks and depression. This would slowly come back, sometimes up to a year later.
And to boot I am a mental health nurse!
There are so many changes in your body right now with the fast. I would hold off on changing your medication routine . Do PLEASE inform your doctor that you are doing medifast. After some adjustment try to go off and see how you feel. I do believe that medication is short term unless of course you have a chemical imbalance as I believe I do.
Good Luck and keep posting
Luvz!
kEEP SHAKIN~ LUVZ
197.5/195/130
Female; 5' 2''
muscular ex dancer 41yo
One single step begins a journey~
LUVZHUZKYZ

Anti-depressants

Postby Stacey » January 18th, 2004, 6:00 am

I never heard a name for it, but I do have some problems on a full fast. I have bi-polar disorder though so it may be different. For me the full fast thoughs me off balance and I had to go on the modified diet. Just know it's different for each person and let your body and mind be your guide. I'm real sensitive to my mental well being and know I'm unable to tolerate the full fast without mood swings. I'm also unable to go without sleep without going in to mania. We are all different and this program effects each of us differently. Just be careful and you may do just fine. I do know the best thing we can do for ourselves is eat right and excersise. It serves to lift depression natually so you're on the right track and taking the right steps to better mental health! Keep up the good work!
Stacey
Stacey

Postby SneezyKitten » January 18th, 2004, 9:50 am

Wait a minute!!!!

1) It TOTALLY matters what class of anti-depressants you are on! For instance, Prozac is in one class and Wellbutrin is in another and they affect the brain and brain chemistry VERY differently.

2) Get the information sheet on your particular prescription from the pharmacist (it's free and they are required to give on to you). Then do some online research. Then go back and talk to your doctor again once you are prepared with more information and understanding about the issue.

This is one of those things where it has to be you getting the info and you and your doctor making the decisions together.

My B.S. is in Behavioral Health and I really worry about people taking mental health/medical advice from other people who have different issues and different meds.

One more note, if you don't feel your Doc is really listening to you, get a new Doc. I had to go through three before I found one that I felt talked with me and not just at me. Your doctor should be your partner in your quest for good health and that includes both weight loss and mental and emotional well-being. Accept nothing less.
SneezyKitten
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby LUVZHUZKYZ » January 18th, 2004, 10:00 am

Making decisons about ones mental health can only be from oneself and ones doctor.
Getting advice from others is what I call support. I've been told many times that my 'mental condition' is in my head and I am doing this to myself. If I had listen to others I would not be here to write this post.
The only directions should come from ones DOCTOR, not a board or a friend. But hearing what others go through and what they have done is comforting. I have taken what everyone has written in posts into consideration and it has helped me make decsions with many aspects of my life, reguarding this fast and my medication ( but thats another board)!
Be well everyone!
keep posting~
kEEP SHAKIN~ LUVZ
197.5/195/130
Female; 5' 2''
muscular ex dancer 41yo
One single step begins a journey~
LUVZHUZKYZ

Postby SneezyKitten » January 18th, 2004, 10:21 am

Well Said, Luvz!
SneezyKitten
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » January 18th, 2004, 10:32 am

Great posts everyone,
Actual opinions and experiences in public forums, in my opinion, can be very beneficial. We certainly won't hear the dark side of these drugs from the pharmaceutical companies. Doctors have been known to pass out the designer "med of the day" to blanket a wide range of symptoms. Individual reactions and experiences from real people on boards like this can be a huge wealth of information on these drugs. Some of these drugs have only been in the system for a short time, and there's no telling what the long-term consequence could be. With office calls becoming shorter and shorter all the time, there's sometimes not the 1 on 1 relationships needed to monitor a drug's affect properly. In the door...a couple minutes of talk, and a prescription to all that ails you, is not my opinion of great medical care. In many cases this just masks the problem. How many of these drugs have we heard about being linked to continued depression, more complications, violence and even worse?

I've stated here before, that modern medications do have their place and in some cases are the only answer. There are many caring, compassionate, fantastic doctors and nurses doing amazing things for us, but as Sneezy said, if you feel your doctor is not devoting the time you feel you deserve and need, and is just handing out meds to you and sending you on your way, FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR! Mental health is serious business....

I think we'll find more and more in the future that nutritional intervention will come more to the fore-front. As I've also said before here, we are what we eat, and our foods have been in trouble for years. Who knows what effects the cocktail of chemicals our western diet has on us. Fortunately society has become more aware of this the last decade or so, and it's nice to see more emphasis being given to nutrition.

I'm in no way saying not to work with a doctor. If you have substantial weight to lose or have ANY health issues, you should always consult with your doctor with any change in your diet. I'm in no way saying, don't listen to your doctor, just be sure he's listening to you.

Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Indigo » January 18th, 2004, 1:18 pm

well said.

Just one other thing I'd like to add . . . and I'm speaking as a psychiatric RN with 25 years of experience. . . .

Many time psychiatrists (or physicians for that matter) don't have the time or interest to look into alternative treatments. My own psychiatrist, whom I trust, literally, with my life, raised his eyebrows when I tried to explain to him how taking amino acid supplements affects the serotonin level, and changing my diet was decreasing my need for antidepressants. He simply said 'well, it's working for you, so great!'

If you went into a physicians office complaining of menopausal symptoms-night sweats, hot flashes and mood swings- how many would just write a prescription for Premarin? and how many could take the time to talk about diet changes, Black Cohosh, etc. instead? Even though those alternatives are KNOWN to work, it's simply not their professional field.

Stopping psychiatric medications cold is a VERY bad idea- you WILL have backlash. But psychiatric medications often have hefty side effects (weight gain, decreased libido, muted/sluggish feelings) Educating yourself about alternatives, finding a doctor that will talk with you about them, and seeing what ways they can adjust/adapt to including alternatives and gaining a more balanced healthy life for you- well, it just makes sense.

What have you got to lose?

Laurie
Laurie
2/14/04~ :heart:
247/222.4/150, ~modifasting~
Indigo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Return to Weight Loss