Jen

1 Thread per registered User.

Jen

Postby Jen » June 25th, 2006, 8:02 am

I joined this great support forum last week and started MF Thursday, 6/22. I've been thinking about what to write in my first journal entry for a few days.

First things first - I have lost 7lbs as of this morning after 3 days on MF!

I introduced myself in the "Come on in" forum but here's the recap...

Hi, I'm Jen. I'm 5'7", 35, happily married, no kids, living in fabulous Phoenix, Arizona (yeah, I love it).

I have never tried another formal diet plan, never bought a diet book (except for a great P/C/F/Cal reference for 5 gazillion foods), never "yo-yo" dieted. As I mentioned in my first post, a few years ago I lost about 60lbs by cutting a lot of junk out of my diet and joining a gym. It took more than a year and I felt great, but once I stopped going to the gym and my eating habits returned to their previous WAY TOO BIG portion sizes, the weight found me again.

I had a good friend in college who lost over a hundred pounds on Optifast and it changed his life. I remember thinking at the time that it seemed like such an extreme method but it worked great for him. In the last 18 years, where I weighed about 165 as a freshman, I have slowly gained about a hundred pounds. My top weight about 5 years ago was 272; I started MF at 262. I've thought a lot about why I am overweight and why I haven't ever really struggled to lose weight, and why I finally chose MF, those are topics I will explore as this journal progresses. I was an English major so I can write, baby! :lol:

The last month or so, I have been feeling bad, physically and emotionally. A creeping sense of doom about my guaranteed future health problems is the real motivation behind getting off my fat behind and making a change. There is one other thing too... I have a big extended family, spread all over the States that I don't see too often. A few years ago, a plan was hatched to meet at my Grandparents house for a week-long family reunion. Was I excited? No, I was terrified. My first instinct was to find an excuse not to go just so nobody would see me. That made me feel worse than the look on the guy's face when he realizes he has to sit next to me on an airplane. :shock: Well, I thought about that feeling and realized that if being overweight was limiting what I wanted to do and causing me shame around my family who have never made weight an issue, then something had to change. I revisit that feeling often, it defines my emotional commitment to get healthy.

I will no doubt write more later, I just wanted to get the ball rolling.
Last edited by Jen on July 26th, 2006, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Start date: 6/22/06 : 36 : 5'7" : 262/190/140
Jen
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Elke » June 25th, 2006, 8:19 am

Good roll :)
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Prancer » June 25th, 2006, 8:30 am

Jen as I said in your welcome post we are kind of starting here at the same time and place. I wish you continued success!!
Prancer
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Jen » June 26th, 2006, 9:41 am

OK, complete honesty time.

When I weighed myself yesterday for the first time after starting MF last Thursday I was slightly disappointed that the scale was only down 7lbs. I don't know what fantasy I was living, but I knew there would be a massive initial water weight loss so the number I had in my head was over 10lbs. Silly, I know. As I wrote my current weight on my handy dandy chart I spent hours perfecting on the computer (told you I was a nerd), my husband looked over my shoulder and said "7 pounds? NICE!". He saw my fake smile and gave me a hug. Ignoring my weak "I know, it is great" mumbling, he said, "Jen, think about it, you've been on MF for only 3 days. 7lbs in 3 days is working, 7lbs in 3 days is perfect!"

I love love LOVE my husband.

Topic of the Day: Coffee

I love coffee. My folks and all my relatives drank coffee and one of my fondest memories of childhood was getting to drink "coffee-milk" at my grandparents house in the morning with everyone. Dash of coffee in sugared milk - drink of the gods. Flash forward 30 years, and I still love it. I limit myself to 2 cups in the morning, and I drink (drank) it with 1 tsp of sugar and 1 heaping tsp of coffee-mate. My husband (Everett) likes to call it cancer-mate but that is another story.

I love coffee and I don't think I drink it excessively but I also don't like having an "addiction". And boy howdy is coffee an addiction! Plus, I knew the sugar and coffee-mate had to go. I decided to wean myself off coffee at the same time I started MF, figuring that the ketosis symptoms might overshadow my caffeine withdrawal.

First morning, I drank 1 cup of coffee black. Blech. totally unsatisfying.
Second morning, I got the brilliant idea of adding an ounce to my Swiss Mocha shake. (Let me explain that I drink Victorian House concentrated coffee - you can check it out at www dot ryancoffee dot com.) Delicious!
Third morning, I started adding less coffee to my shake. Strangely, I didn't have any of the normal caffeine withdrawal symptoms. I did read on this board that the MF program might make me more sensitive to caffeine so that probably eased the transition.
I think I will be "off" coffee in a few more days.

I don't drink or smoke, so quitting my coffee addiction means a lot to me. Once I get this whole "food" thing worked out I will be free to find some new obsession.

Maybe I'll start collecting unicorn figurines.... :lol:
Jen

Postby Jen » June 27th, 2006, 12:10 pm

Today is the first day I feel really good. The past 5 days were fine, had some occasional hunger, mild cramping, and minor headaches, nothing horrible. My energy seems back to normal now and I feel full almost all day long. I tweaked my daily food schedule a little after noticing that unlike a lot of others on here, I feel pretty full at night. My problem time is midday - 10:30am - 1:00pm. I ride my elliptical bike at low intensity for 20-30 minutes at 10:00 am every day so that is probably the reason for the increased hunger. Starting yesterday, I just shifted my MF slightly closer together during the day and slightly further apart in the late afternoon/evening. I think that will work better, but I am evaluating this week. Not much variety, but I plan to try some soups in the near future. Plus I like the shakes and bars and it works for me.

Current schedule is:
8:00 - shake
10:30 - shake
1:00 - bar
3:30 - shake
6:00 - l&g
9:00 - shake

--------------------------------------
Topic of the Day - Vegetables

I like vegetables fine, but I never really ate them enough as an adult. This is one of the great benefits of MF - I am learning to love vegetables. I really look forward to my broccoli, asparagus, salad, or zucchini with my l&g each evening. I am learning to savor it. I am a fast eater with hideous portion control, so the discipline of making 7oz of chicken and 1 1/2 cups of veggies last a good 20 minutes is tough. Now, thanks to just my very short time on MF, I am eating slower, really enjoying the food, chewing for a long time.

I feel so enthusiastic about Medifast and the support on this forum. I'm not only going to lose the weight, but I will have the tools to keep it off, all I have to do is follow the program. I feel like I won the lottery.
Jen

Postby Karli » June 27th, 2006, 12:17 pm

hee hee... I love your post. Congratulations and though I have not officially started yet (waiting for my first batch of supplies to arrive) I am working on some of the principles already. Eating slower, smaller proportions... so on and so forth. I love what you said about gaining the tools to keep it off ! I think that is one of the most important aspects of the whole program. It takes a personal commitment, and that is what truly wins out. Also, I like how you are shifting things around to fit you specifically.

Anyway, congrats on your success !

Karli
Karli
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Jen » June 28th, 2006, 9:15 am

I ordered a new bathing suit.

I go through about 1 bathing suit a summer here in Phoenix since we swim a lot and they tend to wear out after about 4 months... maybe I buy cheap suits? Anyway. My current suit lost the elasticity and was getting pretty thin. Last thing I need is it falling apart on me with guests over. :shock:

The day after I ordered my first batch of MF, I started looking for a new suit. Everett was great, he went with me to tons of department stores, Target, Kohl's, everywhere. I hate the styles this summer I guess, but I don't want huge buckles and knobs on my suit. Also, I like one-piece suits (at least for the time being). Tankini's and skirts aren't my thing. Finally, I gave in and started looking online. I ordered a bathing suit that fit my tastes at Lands' End and it arrived yesterday. I love it but the best thing is, I will be "swimming" in it by next summer so I get to buy one in a much lower size!
Jen

Hi

Postby dede4wd » June 28th, 2006, 8:09 pm

Jen,
I LOVE your posts! I'm glad you figured out the coffee thing. My drug of choice was diet coke. I started MF with 3 per day and have now weaned myself down to 1 or less with no ill affects!

I'm SO glad you're feeling better on day 5, you're in the Medi-zone now!

Congrats on finding a suit. I'm about a month away from suit shopping. I haven't been in the pool (IN MY YARD) in YEARS! Is that ridiculous or what?

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby mellowmom » June 28th, 2006, 8:16 pm

Love reading your posts.

Keep up the great job you're doing on MF.

Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Jen » June 29th, 2006, 9:44 am

Things are still very good, although I am not really hungry anymore which makes drinking that last MF shake in the evening tough. Ironic that just a few weeks ago I couldn't wait to have a huge bowl of vanilla ice cream with a bunch of walnuts thrown in for desert. The times, they are a'changin'! :D

Yesterday, Everett and I were talking about being a bit bored and maybe planning a weekend trip. Well, I got it in my head to plan a little surprise trip for us and set it all up yesterday. I am gonna post it because I don't *think* he is reading my journal (Everett, if you spoil your own surprise you have no-one to blame but yourself! :twisted: )

I haven't been to San Diego in years so I booked a nice hotel on the beach with a balcony and view of the bay. I want to go to Coronado and walk around, do some shopping, maybe play in the surf. I am so excited! ROAD TRIP!!

--------------------------------------
Topic of the Day - Rewards

I decided to post my rewards list even though it is bizarre. I have some weird aversion to spending money, I prefer to keep it in my bank account, but I decided to think of "luxury" purchases. After all, I deserve it!

Rewards:
20# digital food scale - I have a rinky-dink cruddy one now
30# Angel DVD set - I love Joss Wheden shows!
40# BtVS DVD set - ditto
50# manicure/pedicure - never had either before
60# facial/massage - facials are great but the massage seems intimidating
80# new sheets - NICE ones, high thread count baby!
100# Plan 9 day Alaska trip! - dream vacation

I can't wait to weigh myself Sunday, I'm thinking definite 10# club then.

Thanks for all the support of the great people on this board!
Jen

Postby Lizabette » June 29th, 2006, 11:35 am

JEN,

Interesting posts. Easy to tell you are a writer.

Hey, I like the rewards section, too. Got me to thinking, especially the 50# reward: Manicure and Pedicure.
'Specially since I'm almost there.

Enjoying your journal and looking forward to more...

Lizabette :heart:
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » June 29th, 2006, 8:29 pm

Have a GREAT time in San Diego! Yay! Say hi to the harbor seals for me!

I LOVE your rewards!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby Jen » July 1st, 2006, 10:31 am

Weird feelings today.

My folks are dropping by in a few weeks for what I thought was just an afternoon/dinner/overnight/leave at 5:00 am the next morning stay. I just spoke to my mom and it looks like they will be here for an afternoon/overnight/full day/overnight/leave at 5:00 am stay. I love my parents and we get along great, but here is my problem.

I haven't told them about MF and I was planning not to until late October when I go visit them for a week. Mainly, I wanted to surprise them, but also I wanted to avoid the weekly updates as to my weight loss that my mom will require. They are totally supportive and it isn't sabotage that worries me, so I guess it's hard to explain. My mom loves to be in everybody's business and I am a private person. Once she knows even the tiniest scrap of information I swear she starts the phone tree and suddenly cousins I haven't seen in 15 years know I lost 5 pounds. Am I overreacting?

This sounds lame, but I figured I could hide the MF if she was only going to be here for an evening. I'd eat my L&G with them at a normal dinner and just drink a couple shakes in private. This sounds stupid as I type it but I am kind of disappointed that now she will know. It isn't accountability that I am worried about because I LOVE the program and it is really working for me. This is just part of an ongoing mother-daughter personality conflict over privacy. I mean when I am visiting my folks (they live in a smallish town), Mom would tell the checker at WalMart what I ate for lunch, this is the level of trivial gossip she enjoys.

So, since I cannot hide being on MF for a day and a half and I refuse to go off program, I will just tell them when they are here I suppose. GRRRRR.
Jen

Postby Karli » July 1st, 2006, 10:44 am

Actually, I TOTALLY understand and I don't think it's strange at all. There are probably some differences between the reasons I would not want my own mom to know yet, but I do understand the personality difference thing.

Would it help if somehow you had your supplements as though "it's just what I feel like eating" and not "it's this new program I am on" type of thing ? In a way, that is perfectly the legitimate truth. Maybe your mom knowing that it's a specific program would trigger a larger reaction in her than you just eating something different than them for a day would (because your dinners can be disguised as the "same").

Well, I mainly just wanted to chime in and say that I don't think it's stupid at all. And don't you think it would feel great not to second guess yourself like that when you actually are expressing how you feel ?

Keep us posted !

Karli
Karli

Postby Jen » July 1st, 2006, 11:45 am

Thanks for the feedback, I was considering faking getting over the flu or food poisoning... I know, completely juvenile. There is a reason I moved 1500 miles away though. :D
Jen

Next

Return to My Journal