Jen

1 Thread per registered User.

Postby Jen » July 2nd, 2006, 8:54 am

I lost another 4 pounds this week and I am in the 10# club! I was hoping to be under 250, but losing 4 is nothing to complain about.

I made a half-way goal for myself. I would love to be 199 by 10/3/06 (my 13th anniversary). That is a bit optimistic but hey, aim high!

A couple of NSVs so far...
When I wash my face, it just feels thinner to me. My jaw and cheekbones seem more defined to the touch. It is hard to tell visually yet, but I know there are some changes in the works.

I have a pair of baggy cargo shorts that I wear a lot. The waist has always been quite loose, but they are stopped from sliding off by my Rubenesque hips/butt/tummy. Well, it looks like I need to pick up a new pair soon, because they are getting lower and lower on my hips.

---------------------------------------
Topic of the Day: Exercise

I have been riding my elliptical bike at home about 20 minutes each day (throughout my MF journey). Everett and I went to the gym about 5 days a week up until 6 months ago and I am really excited to start going back. I am going to wait a few more weeks and then start back slowly. Since we used to spend about 1 1/2 hours to do the complete cardio and weights regime, I am going to make some changes to fit better with my MF plan. I will start slowly, probably do some moderate walking on the treadmill for about 25-30 minutes, and then some very light strength training for another 20 minutes or so.

I want to keep my exercise to about 45 minutes a day in keeping with the MF guidelines as I understand them. I will add an extra shake or try the 70 shakes after my workout to ensure I am getting enough protein.

I feel much better when I exercise, and mentally, it helps me stay motivated and focused on my eating. I have a very sedentary job (computer), no kids, and not much normal activity, so going for a walk or going to the gym is pretty important to me.

It is obvious that MF is working for me and will continue to help me reach and maintain my goal weight. Exercise and proper nutrition go hand in hand in my mind, I don't see how you can have one without the other for long-term weight management. I tried the great exercise/so-so eating and it just doesn't work. Medifast and moderate exercise will work.
Start date: 6/22/06 : 36 : 5'7" : 262/190/140
Jen
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » July 2nd, 2006, 7:58 pm

Jen,
I LOVED your last post! You can just feel how motivated you are! I agree about the exercise. I tried exercising a lot while eating at Taco Bell, it's a real "you gotta do both" proposition! I'm just walking now, but I'm doing it regularly!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Jen » July 3rd, 2006, 9:16 am

Things are going great. I've noticed my skin is even better than usual, and I have a lot of energy and enthusiasm. I am naturally a little moody but I think the drastic reduction of sugar has really made a difference. I just seem to be at more of an even keel now.

Water consumption is good, sleep patterns are good, sandbox is good...

--------------------------------------
Topic of the Day: Being Satisfied

The most surprising thing about my MF journey is how full I feel. Sometimes it's difficult to drink my last shake (but I do) because I'm just not hungry. Before MF, I was almost always hungry. Right after lunch, I wanted something sweet, right after seconds of dinner, I couldn't wait for dessert. Now I almost feel like my L&G is too much, it is just so satisfying.

I don't know why I couldn't get this before, but I don't NEED 3500 calories a day to be full. Food is just the fuel for my body, it isn't supposed to make me happier. Living my life makes me happier, the right food just allows my body to come along.
Jen

Postby Karli » July 3rd, 2006, 9:24 am

WOOT WOOT !! Thanks for your post, Jen. I feel like I am having very similar realizations as are you. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing in your journal, it's very helpful and inspiring for others (like me) to be reading and using during the day.

Best,
Karli
Karli

Postby Jen » July 4th, 2006, 9:00 am

4th of July

I feel so great I can't believe it. I haven't lost that much weight yet, but I am definitely starting to notice changes.

Also, by pure coincidence, today is my first day without any coffee at all. I have been slowly weening myself by adding less and less to my swiss mocha morning shake. I have had no caffeine withdrawal symptoms yet and I feel fine now. Looks like I beat my caffeine habit, a personal goal I of mine for a long time. Yay for me!

-------------------------------------------
Topic of the Day: Attention

I hate being the center of attention, always have, probably always will. Being really overweight is a great way to achieve that since it renders you invisible to almost everyone. I have been thinking a lot lately about the inevitable attention I am going to receive during my MF journey of losing such a large amount of weight. It scares me. I know rationally that losing the weight, getting healthy, that sense of accomplishment, is SO IMPORTANT, much more important than worrying about people changing reactions to me, but I still think about it. Basically, I dread the interrogation. "How did you do it?" repeated endlessly. Seems petty, but the thought makes me cringe.

I love having this journal to work through my inane thoughts. It helps. In a year, when I am fit and gorgeous, I'll probably re-read this drivel and laugh. :lol:
Jen

Postby Arklahoma » July 4th, 2006, 9:42 am

Just wanted to say that I am enjoying reading your thoughts.
Arklahoma

Postby Jen » July 5th, 2006, 9:51 am

I have never paid much attention to the scale, but since MF, I am fighting the urge to weigh myself every morning. I don't want to fall into that trap. I am trying to focus on just paying attention to how I feel and how my clothes fit. I am very impatient to drop the pounds, I keep re-calculating possible weight loss over the next several months. Dorky. :lol:

Not much to say today, but reading these forums is a constant source of encouragment to me. It puts my struggle in perspective, my goals within reach.
Jen

Hi

Postby dede4wd » July 5th, 2006, 11:29 pm

Jen,
I just read your post about attention. It's been terrible for me and my crippling shyness. Just re-learning how to look people in the eye and have them NOT look past me has been a HUGE adjustment! I'm not used to my new position as a role model, but I'm getting better. If I can help anyone with my struggles, I'll DEFINITELY talk about it! It's one of my biggest fears, but I'm working on it!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby Jen » July 6th, 2006, 8:07 am

Went to Outback last night with the women from AZ, a very good time was had by all. DeDe tried to slide her cinnamon/sugar/apple goo off her plate and next to mine, but I wasn't having any of THAT! The apple goo ended up in its own little fort in the center of the table, surrounded by menus. :lol:

----------------------------------------
Topic of the Day: The Shirt Dance

I know some of you know what I'm talking about here. You take a t-shirt, fresh out of the dryer or closet and no matter what size it is or how well you know it fits, you do the shirt dance. Everyone has a different method, here is mine: put your arms in the shirt (not out the armholes) and streeeeetch. Slap your extended arms together like you're doing a seal imitation. Pull that shirt, give it a little more room. Stretch the armholes a little, hey, why not the neck and shoulder area too? Repeat seal imitation as needed....

Because stretching the shirt will hide the fat rolls on my stomach. Yeah, right. A stretched out size 3X shirt doesn't really fool anyone. :dohdoh:
Jen

Postby Karli » July 6th, 2006, 8:13 am

hee hee... Jen, you're funny. I do indeed stretch my clothing out, hoping to just make room enough for me to fit into them... LOL. Actually, I already don't have to do that as much with the shirts that I wear as before I started MF. I definitely have a pants dance though... heh.. but generally I am unwilling to put myself through that at all (because they won't fit anyway).

I love reading your journal.

Karli
Karli

Hi

Postby dede4wd » July 6th, 2006, 10:58 pm

I'm so sorry about the apple slide! I usually go to dinner with co-workers that grab anything I throw off my plate (kinda forgot I was with fellow MFers!) Wasn't the fort around the apples great though!

I enjoyed meeting you so much yesterday! I can't believe how beautiful your skin is and I love your hair! I loved learning about what you do (how cool is that!)

I loved your dryer dance post too! Who DOESN'T do it?

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby Jen » July 7th, 2006, 7:55 am

We leave for San Diego on Sunday for 4 days, I am excited! I got some RTDs with my recent MF order so I should be all set for any circumstance. I also made sure our hotel room has a coffee-maker and a mini-fridge.

Out doing errands yesterday, a huge truck pulled up next to me. A huge Pepperidge Farms Cookie truck with product photos all over it. :shock: There was a 12'x12' "Sausalito" 3 feet away from my window. I started laughing out loud at the ridiculousness of the situation. I sped up, the truck sped up, I slowed down, the darn truck would not pass me. Too funny.
--------------------------------------------
Topic of the Day: Perception
I know I haven't lost that much weight yet, but I really feel thinner. It must have something to do with taking action towards my goal, but my body image is improving drastically. I see fat when I look in the mirror, but it doesn't have the negative connotation anymore. It's just excess fat that I am getting rid of. I can see now that it isn't permanent, soon it will be gone (thanks to MF) and it is never coming back!
Jen

Postby Karli » July 7th, 2006, 8:01 am

Jen wrote:--------------------------------------------
Topic of the Day: Perception
I know I haven't lost that much weight yet, but I really feel thinner. It must have something to do with taking action towards my goal, but my body image is improving drastically. I see fat when I look in the mirror, but it doesn't have the negative connotation anymore. It's just excess fat that I am getting rid of. I can see now that it isn't permanent, soon it will be gone (thanks to MF) and it is never coming back!

WOW !! This is a huge and important realization !!! You know who you are... or at least who you are NOT. Congratulations, Jen. :cheers:

Karli
Karli

Postby Serendipity » July 7th, 2006, 11:01 am

Jen,

I think the first 10 pounds I lost were from my brain. Just like you, I began to feel better immediately....long before outward signs.

I can also relate to the T-shirt stretch....I have to stop myself now, lol. And I just bought several T-shirts that I thought would fit and they're way too big! doh~!
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » July 7th, 2006, 11:56 am

I know what you mean about perception. As I finished my first week, I started "feeling" really good, I just had these "it's working" tingles! It was like my body KNEW I was doing the right thing ans was sending me "you're doing the right thing" signals. It just made me FEEL like I was visibly losing faster than I was in actuality!

Have a GREAT time in Sandy Eggo!

DeDe
dede4wd

PreviousNext

Return to My Journal