Jen

1 Thread per registered User.

Postby Elke » July 15th, 2006, 10:25 am

Jenn, you are doing so good. You seem to really have a handle on the whole mind set and stuff. Thats awesome, when I read your jurnal I realize that I have so much to learn about myself. Good thing to realize but not sure where to start.
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby sidrah » July 15th, 2006, 6:18 pm

Jen,
I was just writing in my journal that I told my dad I was just adding in some soy protein to my drink and he said, "Oh" and it was done with.

My AC is broken and they had to order a part for it, so I have been over here for a few days. I just keep the packets in my bag in the room and add them in in there. A few times I just added them into a water bottle so it looked like I was just drinking juice. Thick, sometimes clumpy juice, but still...
Don't really care as long as everything's better than yesterday was...

@}---- @}---- @}---- @}----
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Jen » July 16th, 2006, 8:09 am

Thanks for all the great responses!

I have been sick the past couple days so maybe I was extra cranky! :lol: I had a terrific talk with my sister on the phone last night. I wanted to tell her about me and MF before my Mom gets the chance to let the cat out of the bag. My mom uses gossip like currency.

My sister was very excited and happy for me. At first she was concerned that I had some medical issue that I was afraid to tell her (like diabetes or hypertension) but I explained that I am preventing that certain future by getting healthier now. She was very "on board" and asked a lot of good questions about the food and MF in general. We did have a funny discussion about ideal weight, when I told her I plan to be somewhere around 150. She said her best weight is about 135. I am 5'8" and she is 5'7" and 3/4. Either my goal is to high or hers is a bit low, I think? After talking to my sister, I feel more confident about talking to my parents tomorrow. My plan is to explain what I need to without going into detail and to lie and say I am not keeping track of my weight loss by the scale.

I weighed myself this morning. Down another 4 pounds this week, bringing me to 243.5, a loss of 18.5 pounds in 4 weeks! Not too shabby. :D
Start date: 6/22/06 : 36 : 5'7" : 262/190/140
Jen
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Arklahoma » July 16th, 2006, 8:20 am

Jen wrote:We did have a funny discussion about ideal weight, when I told her I plan to be somewhere around 150. She said her best weight is about 135. I am 5'8" and she is 5'7" and 3/4. Either my goal is to high or hers is a bit low, I think?

The CDC (centers for disease control) BMI calculator says for a 5'8" person, the healthy weight would be between 122 - 164 so both of you are well within the acceptable range.

Best of luck in conversing with the folks!!!
Arklahoma

Hi

Postby dede4wd » July 17th, 2006, 11:05 pm

Hi Jen,
Good luck with talking to the folks! I'm sure it'll go GREAT! I'm so glad your sister is on board too!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby sidrah » July 17th, 2006, 11:17 pm

That's cool. You got one up on your mom! Now instead of gossip, she can use praise since you beat her to it. There's one more person to talk to.

sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Jen » July 20th, 2006, 9:18 am

My folks have left and I have to say everything went fine. My parents were interested and supportive but not all over me about. My dad felt bad about eating breakfast in front of me when I only had a shake, but once he believed me when I said it really didn't bother me, he was fine. My mom didn't not go into massive interrogation mode and I found out later that my dad reminded her in private to mind her own business. LOL. When she asked how long I had been on MF and how much weight I lost, I just said that I am not using the scale yet but I feel great and I can see/feel results. She was happy with that and totally let the weight topic drop. Best thing ever was when SHE told me that she understood this was my private business and she had no intention of mentioning it to anyone else. I didn't even have to ask her. I guess I got all worked up for nothing based on past experience without giving her the benefit of the doubt this time.

Side note: We went out to dinner at Macaroni Grill with my folks and I had the grilled salmon with asparagus. The salmon was great, perfect amount for a L&G, but the veggie portion was pretty small I thought, so I added a small salad. Great L&G out.

On to new weirdness. We got some new health insurance and they required a quick height/weight certification from a doctor. I went this morning at 8:30am and the weight was about on target. The doctors scale said 245 (with clothes) so that sounds about right with what my scale reads at home. Here comes the disturbing part... my height was 5'7"!!! I have always thought I was 5'8" since high school. I came home and had Everett measure me again and I was 5'7"!!. So either I randomly made up my height and just never checked or I shrank an inch. I don't know why it bugs me but I feel a little weird about that. Now I'm even more overweight than I thought and I need to adjust my stats. Anyway, it's no big deal but I was kind of shocked.

I'm looking forward to my weigh in this Sunday because I should make the 20# club. Yay MF!
Jen

Postby Jen » July 24th, 2006, 7:57 am

Well, I made the 20# club as of my weigh in yesterday. My sister is coming next Saturday and I am excited to show her my progress!

Yesterday I got up the nerve to "go shopping in my closet". I have a bunch of jeans that I only wear in Winter (Phoenix, AZ demands shorts 7 months of the year). I started trying on my jeans from last Winter (size 24) and they were huge, so I moved into my Gap stretch boot leg 22s. They fit a little loose too! Now I was excited. I found some 20s (Mervyns brand) that fit a bit tight in the waist but fine everywhere else. Then I discovered my pair of Gap stretch bootleg 16s - my favorite pair from several years ago when I got down to 199lbs. I tried to put them on and of course they didn't even go over my thighs. They were tight on my calves too but instead of being frustrated, I felt elated. Those jeans are going to fit in 40 more pounds, which means they will be great (or even a little large) for this next Winter. I moved them front and center in my closet and they are going to be my test jeans for the next few months.

Sometime this week I am going to go through my entire closet and try stuff on, weed out the garbage I will never wear again, and put together some "goal" clothes. 3X shirts are getting pretty large on me now so I need to find all my 1X stuff.
Jen

Postby sidrah » July 24th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Good news all around! I am sure your sister will be happy to see you

sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Jen » July 28th, 2006, 9:18 am

Things are still going great. I find I am not posting as much since I think I settled down a bit and really got comfortable with the MF program. I still love reading the forums and find great support and inspiration every day in other people's journals and studio pictures.

Like a lot of people here, I have never talked about exact weight with my husband before, but now, it is so easy. I really feel like I had a psychological shift, like there is nothing to be ashamed of. Yes, I am overweight, but I am doing something about it. It's not like not putting a number on it tricks him into thinking I am skinny! :lol:

I am excited to weigh on Sunday, hoping I will be in the 230s. Just about a month ago, I was in the 260s, so I am really happy with my accomplishments so far.
Jen

Postby DntCryLilEmoGrl » July 28th, 2006, 10:52 am

ahh hehe your mother sounds similar to mine..though i did tell her what my weight was because its less than her now so she cant get on me about my weight as much...hehe call it revenge for all the years she was ragging on my about my weight and how she only weighed 115 when she was my age blah blah blah...but wow you are doing awesome jen...and what a great name lol... ;)
"Soon to be mrs sexy pants"
lilemo's getting married on April 6th 2008!!!!!

started changing my life 5/15/06
restarted 10/01/07
DntCryLilEmoGrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby caligirl » July 28th, 2006, 12:26 pm

Wow, congratulations for being able to fit into some of your clothes again, that must feel fantastic. I was able to get into my 18's this week, albeit, barely! But I did wear them to work.
Your sister will be so proud of you!

I really like what you said about telling your husband your weight, and being honest with him about it. You're right, it doesn't change the way you look, but it does free you from the baggage of weight.

That's what this is all about, right? Becoming free from our emotional eating, being in control of our lives. It's amazing how empowering losing weight it, isn't it?

Keep on doing what you're doing!
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right... Henry Ford

caligirl
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Jen » August 12th, 2006, 1:41 pm

My sister and 5 yr old nephew just left yesterday after a great 13 day visit. We had such a fantastic time and staying on MF was even easier than I thought. My sister (who is gorgeous) is the type who eats whatever she wants (tons of junkfood) and then likes to complain about being 15 pounds overweight. She was totally inspired by my discipline and positive outlook. While she was visiting she cut down on some of the junkfood she eats (bags of MnMs, whole loaves of french bread with butter, soda, etc.) and really got into the L&G dinners we grilled up. She also drank a bunch more water than usual. Turns out she lost 6 pounds while she was here. It was hilarious to see her thought process.... "I didn't even eat that well and I lost 5 pounds??? Jeez, I must eat a ton of junk at my house."

I think she learned some of the benefits of eating a healthier diet. I am curious to see if it sticks.

I stayed on plan for the past week so I am hoping to have a nice loss tomorrow morning when I weigh. Last week was 5.5 pounds but that was out of the ordinary. All I need is .5 pounds to put me in the 30# club so that will be a great accomplishment.

I am also going through a "sick of shakes" phase. I am really enjoying the soups and hot cocoa though. The bars rock my world, I am still trying some of the different flavors, but I gotta say, lemon remains my favorite.
Jen

Postby JeepGirl » August 12th, 2006, 3:53 pm

It seems like you had a great visit Jen! WTG on staying on track!!
You are doing awesome and WOW you are like so there on the 30lb club! I will be checking on you in roll call tomorrow!! Keep up the good work!
JeepGirl
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Jen » August 20th, 2006, 12:08 pm

This week we started back at the gym on a regular schedule. I have been looking forward to it since working out really makes me feel better and helps keep me motivated to eat well.

We go 5 or 6 days a week. 2 days I do 25 minutes on the elliptical followed by 30 minutes of strength training. The other 3 or 4 days I just do 45 minutes of cardio. I usually do the elliptical but sometimes I ride the bike to mix it up a bit.

I have also been interested in giving Pilates a try so we went to the library and checked out a few beginners DVDs. We tried one yesterday and I can see that it will be a great tool to add to my cardio and weights. It will take a while to master the positions and breathing but I hope to do Pilates a couple times a week also.

I add an extra shake or soup on days I work out and make sure to drink even more water than normal to compensate for my profuse sweating. One great NSV happened this week at the gym. I was doing the seated hamstring machine where you lower a pad onto your lower thighs as a brace, and I realized it goes 2 notches tighter than last time we went regularly. That was very exciting.

A couple other random observations. While checking out my naked body in the always flattering light of the bathroom :roll: it seems that my belly flab actually looks a little larger proportionately. I think that it is an optical illusion, I am guessing caused by my waist, hips, and thighs shrinkage. I always hang on to my stomach fat the longest. And secondly, when I press my chin to my chest (gauging the double chin action) I have noticed a significant reduction of neck fat. So I am really happy about my progress.

I have a mini-goal that I break 200 by October 3rd. That is about 29 pounds in the next 6 weeks. Based on my current average, I don't think I will make that goal but I will be close. We shall see!
Jen

PreviousNext

Return to My Journal