How to handle Road Trips

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

How to handle Road Trips

Postby THINKnTHIN » October 12th, 2006, 8:01 am

Hey to all you wise Medifasters! I would love to have some tips on how you handle being on the road and staying on the program. I have a business trip in about two weeks, flying cross country, duration of about 5 days. I know that planning is what is needed to help me feel control, so please give me any pointers or suggestions you all have! Thanks so much for being there! PS. Still haven't pulled out the scale, but my resolve is weakening....I'll let you know the results if I weigh before my self-imposed 3 week mark.
THINKnTHIN
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby alohacate » October 12th, 2006, 10:10 am

Since I live on a rock, road trips aren't really a factor for me! However, I think the Ready to drink shakes would be what I would use if I had to travel! I'm sure some folks from the mainland will chime in!!
Height: 5'10 Age: 38 Start Date:6/24/06
51 pounds gone forever -I'm bringing sexy back
alohacate
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby JKSRN » October 12th, 2006, 10:27 am

----
Last edited by JKSRN on October 12th, 2006, 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JKSRN
Preferred member

Postby alohacate » October 12th, 2006, 10:34 am

Heeeyyyy, I didn't even think about the TSA at the Airport!! Are we allowed to travel with our Medifast products???
Height: 5'10 Age: 38 Start Date:6/24/06
51 pounds gone forever -I'm bringing sexy back
alohacate

Postby THINKnTHIN » October 12th, 2006, 10:43 am

Actually that's what I was getting at, I don't think I can take RTD's, the Dr's note may be a good idea though. Or maybe have some shipped to the hotel for pick-up at check in and then ship back the unused portion to home?
THINKnTHIN

Postby DogMa » October 12th, 2006, 11:29 am

I don't believe the doctor's note is enough; even for the epinephrin I carry, I had to have a prescription rather than just a note. You can check a bag or ship them ahead, though.

I try to stay in hotels with microwaves and small fridges, and just bring everything I need (including a few containers in which to make my oatmeal, soup or pudding).. I also would bring some extra bars along; better to have an extra bar in a pinch than to eat something completely off-plan.

If the hotel has room service, they're usually happy to bring up hot water, bowls - I even had them bring me a dish of salsa so I could mix a little in my broccoli soup.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Serendipity » October 12th, 2006, 11:32 am

hmmmm, I recently heard that the restrictions have been relaxed. I'd call the airline for their guidelines.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Jen » October 12th, 2006, 12:41 pm

Updated travel policy (posted on US Airways but applicable to all airlines I believe:
Beginning 9/26/06, travel-size toiletries in a single, clear, one-quart plastic bag are allowed. Passengers are prohibited from taking liquids, gels and/or aerosols through the passenger screening checkpoint EXCEPT:

* One clear transparent re-sealable 1 quart (1 liter) size plastic bag containing liquids, gels and/or aerosols in containers of 3 oz. (90ml) capacity or less per container.

The contents of the plastic bag must fit comfortably inside and the plastic bag must be completely closed/sealed and subjected to x-ray inspection separate from the carry-on bag.

Passengers may have the following items, but must declare them to TSA at the screening checkpoint if items are not contained in a clear transparent re-sealable 1 quart (1 liter) size plastic bag and/or are over 3 oz. (90ml):

* One clear transparent re-sealable 1 quart (1 liter) size plastic bag containing liquids, gels and/or aerosols in containers of 3 oz. (90ml) capacity or less per container.
* Medications (liquid, gel and aerosol)
* Liquids (to include juice) or gels for diabetic or other medical needs

Passengers may be subjected to secondary screening if they enter the screening checkpoint with liquids, gels and/or aerosols on their person or in their carry-on bag.
Start date: 6/22/06 : 36 : 5'7" : 262/190/140
Jen
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Serendipity » October 12th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Sooooooo, RTD's are ok as long as we tell the screener.....right?
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

Hi

Postby dede4wd » October 12th, 2006, 4:06 pm

They took away my RTD's in my carry-ons because even with a doc's note that they were prescribed, they must be less than 3oz.

I have no trouble with them in checked luggage though...I have a medi-suitcase...complete with rtd's, something to make soups and oatmeal in, etc...plus a bunch of packets, salad spritzer.

Most hotels will give you a room with a fridge and a micro if you ask. If not, I nuke my stuff in the breakfast room and drag it upstairs.

It's EASY to do if you put your mind to it. I have Subway a lot for my L & G, but you can buy tuna and salad mix and cubed chicken and veggies to chop up if you choose to. I'm too lazy.

Yell if you need any more help, I travel about 250 days a year!

D
dede4wd

Postby THINKnTHIN » October 12th, 2006, 4:42 pm

OMG! I cannot imagine that many days on the road! You must be one VERY organized person! What type of work do you do if you don't mind me asking? I was trying to pack so that I wouldn't have to check my bag, I was hearing horror stories about lost bags since the whole "liquid bomb" incident. I would really be stressed if that happened, I'm already stressing that I have to give a presentation 30 lbs heavier than I did the last time anyone saw me, I at least want to look the best I can. :oops: How often have you had bags misplaced? I've just about decided I may just ship a box of Medifast goodies ahead just to be safe.
THINKnTHIN

Postby kendra_m » October 12th, 2006, 4:47 pm

I travel a bit for work... I definitely stay in hotels that have a frig & a micro. I've only had a couple of short trips since MF, but I took packets of shakes, pudding and oatmeal, and bars, something to mix in, and a small bowl to microwave.
I've shipped presentation materials to hotels before and that has worked out fine, no reason why it wouldn't for MF supplies.
Planning is the key, which you're doing a great job with!

:hatch: Finding the new me!!
--------------
10# - 9/11/06
20# - 9/24/06
30# - 11/5/06
40# - 11/19/06
kendra_m
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Return to The Weight Room