How to handle scale obsession

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

How to handle scale obsession

Postby tink » May 18th, 2005, 11:23 am

Hello Hello.... I am in week 2 and doing really good so far. The one thing that is really frustrating me are those darn scales! :x I know not to weigh each day but I just can't help myself. I just want to SEE it! :brickwall: I weighed this morning and was like HUH that number should be lower ... why isn't it lower??? :scratch: I have lost about 5 pounds that has moved the scale but can you loose inches on MF too? I feel better in my clothes. Arg it is bugging me! :dohdoh:
"Just keep shaking shaking shaking"
tink
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Postby DonicaB » May 18th, 2005, 2:34 pm

Tink :coach: STAY OFF OF THE SCALES!! Why put yourself through that, decide which day is going to be your weigh day and stick to it. I know it is hard (because I too struggle with daily weighing) but if it affects you negatively then only weigh once a week. OR.....decide that if you weigh daily you cannot let it upset you. On the days I see no loss I just think to myself, :coach: OK SELF WE NEED TO STAY ON PLAN.....NO VARIANCES. And on the days I do see a loss I say :coach: OK SELF......I WANT MORE SO STAY ON THE PLAN AND NO VARIANCES. ( Ireally don't call myself, SELF) :mrgreen:

You can definitely lose inches. Have you had your measurements taken? If you haven't I would encourage you to do so. I wish I would have taken mine before I started. I just took my measurements this past Sunday because starting June 6 (IS that right, Christi?) we will be posting our inches lost just like we do our #lost on Sundays (but only the 1st MOnday of the month). I can't wait to see how many inches I lose. :yippee: Christi can tell you how encouraging losing inches has been to her.

Don't get discouraged Tink. :stroll: You are doing great.......you said it yourself.......you are feeling better in your clothes. You will lose #, it may just take longer than you want it to.

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby want2Bthin » May 18th, 2005, 2:53 pm

Tink-

Ditto to everything Donica just told you! You cannot put yourself through the emotional ups and downs of weighing daily. :cry: I have said this before, but for some reason I seem to lose my weight towards the end of the week. If I weigh in the first couple days of the week I will see nothing or a gain :roll: - if I weigh the last few days of the week it starts going down :D . So instead of going through the daily nightmare of numbers changing- wait and do it on Sunday. Don't get discouraged- just be patient. :mrgreen:

Angelia
want2Bthin
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby LilMsTexas » May 18th, 2005, 5:14 pm

Tink.........get that measuring tape out girl and get ready to enjoy the benefits of measuring ONCE A MONTH!! Beginning June 6th (right Donica) we will begin posting our measurements on the first Monday of every month.

Generally speaking we will post measurements for W.A.T.C.H.
Waist, (Abdomen, Arms), Thighs, Chest, Hips

You will have the option to add more if you have a particular area that is of interest to you specifically of course.

I have lost 23 total body inches since March 7th!! Talk about a realllllllllllllllll exciting realization!! Nothing beats the scales like a good measuring tape :D So get the measuring tape out......find a good friend, or your spouse, or whomever, even if it is yourself, and get your beginning measurements. You will be SO THRILLED that you did!

CHEERS!
Christi
GOD BLESSED TEXAS!
Christi AKA LilMsTexas

5'5", 36 YEARS YOUNG!
186.8/145.2/135
LilMsTexas
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby bk » May 18th, 2005, 11:00 pm

My solution: stickers! Instead of getting obsessed over the scale (which you really can't control - you can only control how well you work the program), try giving yourself a sticker for every day you were successfully on program. Get a bunch of fun stickers, or even just the little stars. It's very motivating to see all those stickers over everything (I should know! I put them all over my notebook! Mine are silly Valentine frogs). I give myself extra stickers when I reach a milestone (weight or measurements), feel good about myself that day, whatever!

It seems really silly & childish, but it totally works!
bk

Postby dlr2424 » May 19th, 2005, 5:36 am

bk wrote:My solution: stickers!
It seems really silly & childish, but it totally works!

BK...... :no: .......not silly at all......... :coach: ........we all need to keep that child within us alive......... :bouncie: ...............life is to short..... :x ......look at how children really enjoy things.......... :dunno: ........we as adults to often lose that feeling.......we need to think like children more often ....... :goofyjump: .......of course at the appropriate times........ :D .........
donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424

Postby DonicaB » May 19th, 2005, 6:04 am

BK~~Totally love the sticker idea. :bigidea: I love stickers. I think I will use them in my journal.

I still give my 7th and 8th grade students stickers. They love it when I give them a sticker or a smiley face. 8) No one is too old for a fun sticker.

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby tink » May 19th, 2005, 7:24 am

Thanks for all the responses! It is great to know I am not the only one who has a battle with those scales. I did resist temptation this morning and actually had DH put the scales down in the basement! :mrgreen: That way they aren't looking at me in the mornings going HEY.. psstt HEY YOU HOP ON!

LOL
"Just keep shaking shaking shaking"
tink
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Postby Mommy2girls » May 19th, 2005, 4:06 pm

Hi Tink, sounds like you need to do what I do. Pick your day and only weigh once a week. I also am frustrated by the little "ups and downs" of a daily weigh-in.

So I had to tell myself that this is MORE that just about the weight. This is about ME. This is about my HEALTH and even if the scale doesn't give me magic numbers that I want, I'm going to do this regardless. In the past if I was dieting, if I worked hard and the scale didn't SHOW that I had worked hard, then I would get frustrated and EAT! :shock: So no more of that for me.

Once I'm on maintenance, I plan on weighing more than once a week because I don't want the pounds to creep up on me! :x

It is hard and everyone does things differently, but if you are frustrated right now, then maybe back off, or try weighing 2x a week, but not daily!

Sheila
5 weeks = -18lbs 8)
Mommy2girls

Postby fatBgone » May 19th, 2005, 8:39 pm

Hi Tink,
I can relate with trying to get away from the Metal Monster!! I guess I'm probably obsessed with the scales because I get on them - oh....like maybe 3-5 times a day...especially since I got my new ones - which aren't metal anymore...

I know that sounds weird, but it doesn't really affect my mood or the way that I eat for the day or anything...I'm just curious - ALL the time! I think it's so weird that throughout the day, my weight can fluctuate anywhere between 2-3 pounds. I always use my early morning weight though as my official weigh in for that day. I weigh again after breakfast then later in the afternoon and sometimes before I go to bed.

I know it's recommended to only weigh once a week, but, like you, I just can't help it, and since it doesn't discourage me or anything, I guess it's ok. I just go by my weekly loss to figure out how much I've lost overall.
Lisa
fatBgone

Postby Carrie » May 20th, 2005, 6:17 am

This is tough for all of us. When I started over a year ago, I weighed every morning and every evening, and sometimes in the afternoon.

Some people manage to put the scale away and get on it only periodically, and I really, really admire them.

Sometimes I can go for a few days without stepping on it, but honestly I usually find myself on it every morning. But it has become more of a barometer than a 'beat-yourself-upper'. If it's up, I take that as a signal to do a little better. If it's down I congratulate myself. It's just a number on another day. Bottom line, I've gone from size 26 to size 16 pants, and some of my 16's are getting baggy. THAT'S THE REAL DEAL.

If you can't stay off the dang thing, find ways to deal with it in your head. Minimize it's importance, by using it as a tool, not the holy grail. Losing weight is hard enough, we don't need to engage in ANY form of negative behavior that slows us down!

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Signladytf » May 22nd, 2005, 3:15 pm

I'm definitely a scale watcher, and the deal I made with my hubby, Yworry, is that we wouldn't weigh for the FIRST MONTH, and it is so hard not to get on that scale! I was used to weighing 3, 4, 5 times a day...I can already tell some differences in my clothes, so I'm really anxious to get on that scale!
Tammy
402/337/125
(-65!)
Restarted 8/27/2007

Signladytf
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby LilMsTexas » May 22nd, 2005, 3:50 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH MY gosh I can't EVEN imagine going a MONTH without weighing......especially in the beginning :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Waaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy stronger people than I will evvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvver be :shock: WOW!
GOD BLESSED TEXAS!
Christi AKA LilMsTexas

5'5", 36 YEARS YOUNG!
186.8/145.2/135
LilMsTexas

Return to Come on in.