Hello - so pleased to see such a wonderful support system

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Hello - so pleased to see such a wonderful support system

Postby Kristi1234 » April 28th, 2005, 1:24 pm

Hello,

I am new here...I am so pleased to see such a wonderful support system. I have been on Medifast 5and1 for about 6 days with a 10 pound loss so far(yup....I am addicted to the scales). Matter of fact, this program is so wonderful I jump out of bed and rush to the scales lately.

I am doing wonderfully but I do have a question. On the 11th of May my 4 year old son is making(with his own two hands) a mothers day lunch at his preschool...meal complete with entertainment :) All the mommies dress up and everything. I know it is not going to be "lean and green" and I cannot tell him that mommy cannot eat what he has made for me...I just do not have that in my heart...my question is what can I do to minimize the damage?

I look forward to getting to know all of you!!!!

Kris
Kristi1234

Postby bikipatra » April 28th, 2005, 2:38 pm

Oh, I don't know...before I got to the part of your post about your baby what my wish was for you was to STAY ON PROGRAM no matter what. I used to live to wake up and hop on that scale. The scale was MOVING back then! I lost 9 pounds my first three days on Medifast! Unfortunately, my experience is that once you start "cheating" it's a slippery slope! It is as though my weight loss lost momentum once I stopped and started again. I was compliant for two weeks after a slip and the scale did not move. In TWO WEEKS! I got so discouraged I messed up again! You do what you feel is right. If you stick to protein and minimal (VERY minimal) carbs at your luncheon you should be ok. Think MEAT, as lowfat as possible and non starchy vegetables. I can't imagine they wouldn't have salad at your luncheon...but heck, I stay locked up in my house most of the time so I don't know! Good luck!@
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby DonicaB » April 28th, 2005, 2:56 pm

Kris~~ Hi and welcome to the forum. :wave:

DonicaB :yeah:

Edited to remove unsound advice.
Last edited by DonicaB on April 29th, 2005, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby dlr2424 » April 28th, 2005, 2:58 pm

Kristi1234......WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....i'm so glad you are joining us...... :bouncie: ..........try and come here as often as possible............it will definetly be a life saver.......... :D ..........and CONGRATULATIONS on the 10 lbs.............. :yay: ..........That is soooooo sweet what your son is doing......I know Nancy will have the answer.........If it were I .......I would put food on my plate.......shuffle it around making believe I was eating... :bib: ....put a foodbar in my pocket....(one of my meals)....break it off in small sections.......and when no one was looking have small pieces so I was actually chewing.... ;) .....or I would explain to the teacher and to him that certain food doesn't agree with you and maybe he could serve you oatmeal in a special bowl instead.......or soup...........that you are on a bland diet.... :?: ...........I would ask the teacher what was on the menu just so you are prepared..........Think of it this way...........If you really had no choice and was restricted to any of those foods you would have no problem explaing it to them..........however we always feel being on a diet is a weak excuse and not good enough reason..............in any case I will be keeping you in my prayers and I'm sure it will all work out.

Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bikipatra » April 28th, 2005, 3:18 pm

I agree with Donna too...you can "chase" food around your plate to make it look like you are eating. Princess Diana used to do it at royal banquets all the time.
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby dlr2424 » April 28th, 2005, 3:33 pm

bikipatra wrote:.you can "chase" food around your plate to make it look like you are eating. Princess Diana used to do it at royal banquets all the time.

........... :hmmm: ......Imagine That......Our Very Own FABULOUS not FLABULOUS........PRINCESS NANCY.....a.k.a........QUEEN PETTIT......LEOPARD WOMAN......also did that her very own self ....that little trickster...... ;)

Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bikipatra » April 28th, 2005, 4:13 pm

Alas, the secrets of royalty are slowly revealed!!! They must have a handbook that we mere commoners never receive~ I can only hope that our resident QUEEN will dole out other secrets soon! I know I am not the only one who anxiously awaits her TIPS!
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby 24KaratGold » April 28th, 2005, 4:26 pm

Hi Kristi, and welcome to the forum!

I have a bit of a different idea here. Yes, I would have a shake or something beforehand so that I was not so hungry that I didn't care what I was eating. But I understand about four year old boys, having raised three of them, and I do think that he will notice whether you actually eat any of what he makes. Pushing the food around on the plate will help some, but not enough, because he will want to watch you actually ingest some of what he made for you. And if you are like me, you aren't going to disappoint him, regardless.

So... my alternative thought is taken from things I've seen Nancy write around here during the holidays. Follow the "one tablespoon" rule of thumb. Select up to three food items that are not compliant with your MF program, and allow yourself up to a single tablespoon of them. Choose the lower carb ones if you can -- if you have protein choices, choose them, again if you can.

Then make sure that your son sees that you are eating at least some of the things that he made. Don't eat them if he isn't watching, lol. Take small portions on your fork or spoon, and chew thoroughly, etc. Comment and compliment and even ask questions of him how he prepared the food, so that much of your time is spent talking with him about the food rather than actually eating it. If he offers you more, you can tell him either that you are full, but that it was delicious, or you can remind him, if he knows, that Mommy is on a diet and is eating just little portions of everything right now.

This week is Passover week for those of the Jewish faith and culture, and my oldest son's "not-girlfriend" ( ;) ) is Jewish. She brought some charoseth (sp?) to the house the other night, because she knows I love it. Charoseth is to symbolize the mortar that the Jews used in slavery in Egypt making brick, or making things out of brick. It is made with apples and nuts and wine, and a little honey and some cinammon and such. There was no way that I wasn't going to have some of it, because it was clearly an important and special thing for her. She does know that I'm dieting, and she has been an encouragement for that. I took a tablespoon of it and savored every last little bit of it, and she was happy. And so was I. And the next morning, the scale hadn't noticed, and I was still in ketosis.

Good luck to you!
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby DonicaB » April 28th, 2005, 4:42 pm

See Kristi, if you wait long enough you get some advice that makes magnificent sense. Notice 24K is in the 50# club and I am somewhat of a beginner in the 10# club. She didn't get there by accident.

24K~thanks for sharing that advice, I think it is wonderful. I read somewhere to be choosey as to who you will cheat for. (though a tablespoon doesn't sound like cheating) Who could be better than her little joy?

DonicaB :D
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby bikipatra » April 28th, 2005, 6:18 pm

The chasing the food around the plate may not work on 4 year olds BUT it does work on 59 year olds. :-P Before I was dieting, my beloved would try to get me to eat his British breakfast specialties like scrambled eggs and baked beans on toast. After the first time there was NO WAY I was eating it . Ewwwww!!!
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Nancy » April 28th, 2005, 11:50 pm

Welcome Kristi1234 to the MakeMeThinner Forum ~

You have already received excellent advice from one and all.

What a very special day it will be for you, for your son and for his classmates. I am so glad that you will be there for this special occasion.

I know what it is like to sit on both sides of the school desk. I am a Mommy, a teacher and I was an administrator. Children and teachers alike work very hard to prepare for these events.

Sit in the front row – if there is entertainment, you will want to see and hear it all – 4 years olds are terrific!

Lunch will most likely include salad with dressing on the side, maybe little tea sandwiches (or those roller sandwiches) and dessert of some kind – maybe strawberries dipped in chocolate or cookies.

Pile your plate with salad. A really big pile so there is not as much room for the :twisted: evil foods. If you have a 4 cup serving of salad that will do NO damage whatsoever.

Pick the least dangerous of the :twisted: foods and take a very small amount. Don’t linger in the food line, go confidently, take 2 cups – one for tea/coffee and one for water. Tea is best because you can go back a number of times for water and people may think you are going for more food! Hah!

You can always say that you will go back for dessert later.

When ‘later’ comes, you could be too full for dessert because of your big big lunch and ask your son if he would like to eat yours or the kid at the desk next to your son’s. ;)

24 K is definitely correct – your little 4 year old WILL be watching to see if you like what he prepared. Be sure to genuinely :angel: praise him for his effort and for his hard work.

Eat slowly and push aside what you can. Eat only that which is necessary to not hurt his little heart. Use the eating time for talking time – meet his deskmates, ask him about how he prepared the food, about the entertainment, etc. With the focus on your son and his classmates, the time will pass quickly and you will be able to safely pass the :twisted: forbidden foods on to the TrashMan.

The kids will have left-overs on their plates because they will be too excited to eat because their Moms are at school. Other Moms will have left-overs on their plates, too. Remember, we are no longer card-carrying Charter Members of the Clean Plate Club. It is perfectly fine to not lick your plate – leave left-overs for the TrashMan.

Depending upon how much and what you eat at the luncheon that day, I’d probably skip the Lean ‘n Green for supper that night and have a Medimeal for supper instead. Be sure to have all your Medifast packets for the day – do not skip a single one!

What a special day it will be.

I just thought of a funny little story about a Mother’s Day Luncheon that we had one year. During this particular school year, I was teaching multiple grades (3-4-5) in a small private school.

Our school had about 50 students, grades K-5 with three teachers, a secretary and an administrator.

The children all arrived in :drive: carpools and since there was no cafeteria or kitchen, they brought their lunch every day and :bib: ate right in the classroom.

On occasion I would plan Taco Mountain Day or Hot Diggity Dog Day and we would cook lunch in a crock pot or an electric skillet.

As a general rule, however, we did not have implements in our classroom for meal preparation unless I had hauled them in for the special hot lunch.

Mother’s Day is always a big deal and kids want to do :rose: special things for their moms so we planned a wonderful program with poetry recitation, singing, and lunch at school.

The children had each written a short story about their mother and after multiple re-writes and spelling clean ups, they carefully lettered their masterpiece in their best D’Nealian manuscript and then we hand-bound the story into a little booklet with leaf and brayer prints on the cover and included some watercolor paintings inside the booklet.

This was a very :weightlift: labor-intensive project!

Two days before The Mother’s Day Event we made truffles. We put the truffles into little boxes that the kids had also hand-made and decorated.

The morning of The Mother’s Day Event, we dipped strawberries in chocolate

Since our school did not have a kitchen, we requested that several families send some deli items for the luncheon and we specifically asked that the bread, cheese and meat be sliced and on a tray, all ready to be served. We asked that it arrive at 8:15am with the kids that day so that it would be table-ready and there would be no last-minute surprises for the staff.

Well, the said food items showed up about two minutes before the party, the bag contained six loaves of crusty day old French bread, a couple of 2 pound blocks of Velveeta and a canned ham…

The only knives to be found in the entire school were a plastic picnic knife with “teeth” and in my purse, a pocket knife I use to carve the core out of apples.

:shock: Have you ever tried to scrape off a gelatinous mass covering a canned ham with a plastic knife or thinly slice a rubbery hunk of Velveeta? How about saw through and thinly slice day old crusty bread?

While I was :x madly sawing, one teacher sat at the piano playing a nice soothing prelude, the principal and secretary greeted and seated the Mums and grandparents. Just after the preliminary salutations by the principal had been made and I had the children in their positions and we were about to begin with the program the :redhead: fire alarm went off.

We quickly evacuated the building and since this was not a planned fire drill, fire trucks raced into the schoolyard, sirens blaring, horns honking and lights flashing.

After the school was surveyed and declared safe for entering, the freezing parents, students and staff returned to the auditorium for the program…the fire chief reported that someone had pulled the fire alarm…

During the Tea & Sandwich Time, a family of four from Barbados was seated near the food table. The youngest boy, a first grader did The Ultimate Gross Out.
On the first day of school during the first hour of school of every single year that I taught school, I told the children that I had F.O.B.

(this is to be pronounced slowly and stilted.)

Fear

Of

Barf

If you ever feel sick, do not raise your hand.

If you feel woozy and puny, do not walk by my desk.

If you feel like you are gonna hurl, go directly to the B.R.
Once you are through and have washed your face and hands, come directly to me and I will pet your head and pat your shoulder and call your Mommy.

I have F.O.B.

There are two things that can strike fear in the heart of a teacher: Lice and Barf.
Back to the Mother’s Day Tea Time and Andy, the first grader…

It was :puke: barf-o-rama right there, next to the mutilated food table, in the same room as Mrs. P.

Mr. and Mrs. NameChangedToProtectTheirIdentity looked at one another and then at their son.

Mrs. NCTPTI leaned over to Mr. NCTPTI and in a loud voice proclaimed, “Andy is having a sick up,” and continued to eat cookies.

My little school did not have a full-time janitor.

I have F.O.B.

I’m sure it will be a special day for you and your son.

School events are always interesting. Be sure to sit in the front row so you won’t miss a thing! :rose:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby bikipatra » April 29th, 2005, 12:19 pm

Oh my, Nancy, what a day! I wonder why it is that little kids barf so much? I don't have children so I don't know... When I was 4 I used to publically hurl quite often. Once I was in Cloth World with my Mom and DanDan (Granny) and kept telling them I needed to go to the bathroom...they were busy selecting fabric...so I lost it at the cash register. Another time in kindergarten we were singing seated at these round tables and all of a sudden-oops, all over the table I went! I got over this antisocial predilection once I was 6!
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

SPEAKING OF BARF!

Postby LessOfMe » April 29th, 2005, 1:33 pm

:puke: This is probably not new to most people, but I have found that when being coaxed beyond the limits :x to eat something I can't and don't want to eat, if I simply say that "my tummy is a little upset," the nagging stops! If I say I am "on a diet," they usually continue to coax me to "take just a little bite." I know that people mean well, but there are those who just have to feed others no matter what! When someone's tummy is a "little upset or queasy" they stop immediately.

Maybe they have F. O. B. too! :roflmao:
284 > 238 >

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." James 1:1-3
LessOfMe
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby kassilou » April 29th, 2005, 3:20 pm

That's a good answer. I'd never thought of saying my tummy was upset as a way to get someone to not push food on me. Cool! :yes:
To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals.
~Ben Franklin
kassilou
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Nancy » May 2nd, 2005, 11:21 pm

Dear LessOfMe ~

AWESOME suggestion! :heart: Loved it!

Biki, whew! So happy to hear that you outgrew barfage...don't want any around here, Kiddo!

Hopelessly Fearful of Barfage...
:mrgreen:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Next

Return to Come on in.