filthy food pushers! (temptations inside, don't read if weak

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

filthy food pushers! (temptations inside, don't read if weak

Postby bk » February 14th, 2005, 9:56 pm

Just had to vent (and before I get started, I didn't let this phase me or knock me off program - it was just very aggravating). Where I am working I do my work in the conference room because I'm dealing with lots & lots & lots of paper. Of course, it's the only place to eat in the offices, and that's fine. A woman in the office today went downstairs and bought all these creme brulees and the largest chocolate dipped strawberries you have EVER seen. [There's one of those dessert restaurants downstairs.]

Of course this is her & her assistant's *lunch* (let me tell you they have BAD food habits - they each ate over half a pizza each for lunch last Friday). They go in the conference room to eat. Fine. I don't care! Eat your creme brulees and try fitting into your wedding gown next month! Seriously, would YOU be eating creme brulee for lunch if your wedding was less than a month away?! But what really got me is she tried to FORCE me to eat one of them.

She not only figuratively, but actually LITERALLY pushed the food at me. She was 4 feet away from me but actually pushed one of the strawberries right next to my laptop in an attempt to get me to eat it! At one point she even remarked that she didn't want to be a pusher! WELL THEN DONT PUSH YOUR FOOD AT ME!!!

I am happy to say that I have been so in control of myself that this stupid strawberry actually sat at my table for the next several hours because I completely forgot it was there! I never had one thought about eating it, and that was *awesome*.

Mind you, I only met this woman on Friday. If this is how she behaves to people she doesn't know, imagine how she must behave towards friends that she is jealous of!

So Happy Valentine's to me! Another temptation resisted, another day on program!
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

hi

Postby NikkiNix » February 14th, 2005, 10:17 pm

Way to go Bk,

You are a superstar I would of had to trash that strawberry because knowing my fat patootie I would have been smelling it and then eating it. You are solid. I think when people try to push food at us it's because they are sitting there stuffingg there faces and don't want to feel guilty about eating that junk. Hey if everyone else is doing it it's ok attitude. Well I am glad you decieded to not be a lemming. I had a girl at work always ordering me food even though I told her I was on a strict diet, She was real heavyset as well and I think she figured if she kept me eating she wouldn't be the fattest chick on the floor. That's pretty sad if you ask me. Doesn't it feel good to be in control? I no longer work so I don't have them food pushers on me anymore I am just glad you had the strengh to say NO.

You Rock,
Nikki
Today is the first day of the rest of my life!
NikkiNix
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby raederle » February 15th, 2005, 6:50 am

Oh, that would have made me SOOOO mad!!! :x Food pushers are obnoxious, and I am pretty much at the end of my patience with them. I used to politely make excuses here at my office (full of junk food eaters who feel it's okay to stuff themselves if they "share the load" with everyone by putting tons of crap food in the common room). Now I just look at them deadpan and say, "Nope." No more explanations, no more "Maybe later," no more "Oh, I'm so sorry but I'm on this diet..." Now it's just, "No."

But if that strawberry-pusher had done that to me, I don't even know what I would have done. I would have wanted to throw it in the trash right in front of her. But I guess that's not good office manners...!

Anyway, you are a stronger, better, less *ignorant* person than she was, bk, and I commend you for it. You are absolutely right that those two just wanted to rationalize their own pigout session by including you in it, and I'm so glad you refused them that satisfaction. You are TERRIFIC!!! In the end, bk, *you* will have the last word as you strut around at goal weight because you decided to *care* about yourself instead of stuffing your face like those goons. Yay!!!!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby RavenKat2 » February 15th, 2005, 7:21 am

I have a response to this but my brain isn't working this morning! Excuse me if I ramble. ;)

I HATE food pushers! I actually had an argument with a dear friend about all the crap people bring in to work - she loves it and I hate it. She blames my intolerance to being on a diet but honestly, it's the food addict in me that objects, not the dieter. 1. The people at my office put the junk by the printer - NOT in the kitchen where people can avoid it. 2. It's ALWAYS crap! Today I brought in clementines to be a good example.

Not everybody can eat sugar people!!!!! Those that bring in treats with truly good intentions are fine - bring it in once a year. Yes, I should be in control of my eating, but give me a little breathing space here, please. One coworker brought her lunch over for me to smell!

In the same vein, I went to a christmas gift exchange with my husband and one of the gifts was a case of beer. Nice. Luckily my husband didn't get that one! (he's been sober for 21 months)

Enough of my blithering.....

Kat
RavenKat2
(259)245/207/165

*new id for inspiration*
RavenKat2
Trusted Member

Postby JuliaMejia » February 15th, 2005, 10:16 am

I just had to comment, Im a nurse and many times the family of patients bring in all kinds of sweets. I am lucky that all the nurses at my job are supportive and NEVER push food on me. My husband however, when I'm on medifast, tells me "you look hungry" " I know you're hungry"

He is getting better, he has not been telling me, "cmon any take out food you want, I'll go get it right now" I know that he feels sorry for me because he knows WE BOTH enjoy ordering in and everyone pigging out lazily without having to cook. The kids and hubby can go out when I'm at work for those things that I may have a hard time resisting. It's getting better in that area!

Ravenkat , what a rude gift, the person who bought the beer did not think about if there were any alcoholics in the bunch. My Husband and I just say NO THANKS to beer no explanations necessary but he is recovering too. 7 years sober in march. Now 1 year cigarette free too!
May 1st 2006...Highest Weight 265...

Started Medifast December 8th, 06 Weight = 236.8 :(

JuliaMejia
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby bk » February 15th, 2005, 10:37 pm

i think you all are right - they probably felt embarassed that they were chowing on creme brulee for lunch, and if i joined in, they wouldn't have to feel their embarassment.

kat - i can't believe someone tried to make you smell their food!!! how awful.

julie - have you flat out told your husband how him egging take-out on makes you feel? i know it is often hard to "confront" our loved ones about these things because we don't want to make them feel bad.

of course, then there's weirdos like me! i have a "not-boyfriend." (oh so complicated!) he's baffled and confused and has begun inspecting my pantry to try to figure out what i'm eating. i keep all my supplements in my bedroom and put out my minestrone soup into a bowl before he comes over at night. i am pretty sure he thinks i'm starving myself. i am just not interested in explaining it. i suppose i will when it becomes necessary (i.e., if an intervention is sprung upon me!) but, he has also been very good at respecting my choices. we usually cook together every night and i just explained to him i was on a diet and we wouldn't be cooking together for the time being. he asked me ONCE if i wanted some popcorn, i told him not to be a food pusher (he wasn't pushing, just wanted to make my point), and that was that.

so the moral of this long twisted story is to try being honest and direct about what you expect from your husband. even if they don't quite understand you, they can try to respect your choices. also, have you thought that maybe ordering in takeout and spending time together (even though the kids are around now) may remind him of your dating days?! its something a lot of couples do and it may give him some good memories. maybe now is the time to start finding out romantic substitutions for food (a day late perhaps, but not a dollar short!).

oh yeah, also Kat, i'm not a big fan of office-food. i just think it's weird. everyone puts their grubby little paws all over it. eeeeeeew! see, clementines are great because they have automagic filth barriers!

Nikki & Rae - i think trashing the strawberry would have been a really bad idea! after i remembered about it i stuck it in the fridge. now she will have to see it until it gets thrown out, reminding her over and over how she couldn't get me to eat it. muhahahahahah! (oh yeah i have a *nasty* streak)
thanks you guys for the support and the self-esteem boost. i feel like wonder woman! it feels GREAT to be in control and i ROCK SO HARD I CAN BARELY STAND IT!! (did i also mention that modesty is my best quality?)

bk
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby raederle » February 16th, 2005, 6:50 am

bk wrote:Nikki & Rae - i think trashing the strawberry would have been a really bad idea! after i remembered about it i stuck it in the fridge. now she will have to see it until it gets thrown out, reminding her over and over how she couldn't get me to eat it. muhahahahahah! (oh yeah i have a *nasty* streak)

Oooooooooo! That *is* a great idea! :mrgreen: You're doing a great job not only at work, but at home, too! You have *every* right to be proud!!! ;)
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Return to The Weight Room