DutchChoc - Getting it back

Post your before/after pictures here.
Clothing required...:)

DutchChoc - Getting it back

Postby DutchChoc » August 21st, 2004, 3:11 pm

Hi, all. I'm soon going to be posted here in a few versions.

First, my start photo, about 160 pounds:

Then, my "working" photo after 101 days of shakes only, taken 10/27/04 @ 127 pounds. This is not 125, my goal, not 126, but 127... I'm sure I can get closer or still meet my goal if I persevere, but it's with great pride and gratitude to all of you that I say -- maybe I really have gotten it back, all but the hair and the 5 years, etc.... This is really pretty darn satisfying, already. From the "boat" to here on Medifast, folks!

Finally, a photo of me from 1999, which is what I strive for. So, this is NOT over, friends. I want it back!

Your friend in MF for as long as it takes, and that may be a while!!! Although I weighed about 137 at this time, it was all muscle, literally, and what I have now" is not".
Last edited by DutchChoc on October 27th, 2004, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ending weight MF 10/2004: 126
Starting weight 12/1/08: 168 :-(
Loss December: -7/-0
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby TamiL » August 21st, 2004, 3:35 pm

Dutch-
WOW...you look fabulous!! I too weighed 130ish long ago...lots of muscle..and over a few years...it all dissappeared someplace under fat and junk food....and I was left with a 185 pound JIGGLY body...
I started medifast and I did great..got down to about 155...and started working out again...but then lost it...
but Im back...and striving for what you are!! I want my muscles back, my tone...I want to be strong and healthy...to look in my closet and be able to pick out whatever I want and wear it that day..
YOU LOOK GREAT...keep up the good work !!
you will get back to where you want to be....
Happy shakin ;)
Ps. what do you do for workouts? cardio/weights I assume...what type of program???
Tami
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Simmshe » August 21st, 2004, 4:35 pm

Wow Dutch--you look great! Not too far to go now--good for you :)!!

Is your goal weight fixed? You looked incredible at 137lbs, and honestly, you don't look too much different now than you did at 137lbs (in my humble opinion; you've obviously retained a lot of muscle--you have good tone, still :). That's a good thing about working out for many years--it takes a long time, for most people, of being inactive (or having lapses in their workouts) to lose their fitness and muscle tone/strength. I don't know how much exercise/strength training, if any, that you are doing now, but if you go back to your previous level of workouts (after MF, of course), your body will respond quickly and get you back to your previous level of fitness/muscle strength/tone in no time.

Congrats to you for doing so well--keep it up! You are definitely inspiring. Thanks for sharing your pics with us :).

Sheryl
Restart: 5/01/05
333/280/155

Original start: 7/13/04-12/12/04
High weight (1997): 386lbs

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure--Confucius
Simmshe
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » August 21st, 2004, 5:34 pm

Dutch,

You're ready for the beach already! Great going!!! I can't WAIT till I look like that too! Thanks for the motivating pics!
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Nancy » August 21st, 2004, 6:58 pm

DutchChoc ~

Your pictures are great - you have a beginning picture, a WIP picture and your goal picture!

You look great NOW!

Unca and I were looking at your great abs as he was posting your pictures.

Doesn't thinner feel good? Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

You will be at your goal in no time. :exercise:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby DutchChoc » August 22nd, 2004, 7:33 am

Thanks for the encouragement, guys, which I need right now because of rather sluggish progress, at least according to the devilish little scale. :x

I used to absolutely love working out and had astring of several years of step aerobics with some weight training going. After a tragic divorce in 1995, I'd say that turning to fitness probably saved my sanity. Unfortunately, someone I became involved with didn't like how I looked and thought I looked like a boy. For that and for other despairing reasons, in a couple of words, emotional pain, I quit doing what had served me so well. Instead, I ate to "not hurt", in spite of the effects of slowly - or not so slowly - changing into someone I didn't like looking like. But, I kept eating too much. After a while, I knew that nobody even knew much better I could look.

On and off, I'd exercise for a few weeks (crosstrainer) at a time, then stop again when I seemed unable to see substantial improvements. Usually, I was still eating way too much while I was doing that. I usually exercised "more" if I had a particular goal, such as plans to see people for Christmas, or if I was going skiing, usually Feb or Mar. I'd gone from someone who exercised "whenever" to someone who just wanted a quick fix -- which usually turned out to be a fix to get myself into the 150s.

In mid April, I started Medifast for the first time, and I did it to suit myself rather than following the rules. I'd not eat for three days and then eat a lean green on the fourth day, but it wasn't the TRUE lean green. It was something like hotwings and a monstrous salad from a salad bar, with dressing and whatever I wanted. Then it turned to not eating for three days and eating fajitas, and then to not eating for three day s and eating Thai food or "whatever" I wanted. It actually failed miserably, because I was never in ketosis and it was pure :x starting the not-eating over all the time. After a month, I started exercising daily again, and THEN I was all the more hungry, and so I started eating every day!!! I gained back about 8 pounds that way, plus lost a couple of months doing the repeat. This probably sounds familiar.

So, now I'm just trying more to get it done. After I posted my pictures yesterday, little wonder that I also wanted to go to the gym again -- so I went and did 30 min on the crosstrainer and just a couple of arms sets on the weight machines. I've decided NOT to go everyday like I would usually try to do - but to go about three times a week and see what happens. I DID see some improvements in my legs - the side crease is there and the knees are thinner. It was encouraging, visually. Strength and endurance-wise, I was less strong at 140 than at 160 -- could do only level 6 whereas I often did level 9 before. But, I don't want huge thighs, anyway, so maybe this will be better.

Thanks for the kind words! Nancy, the abs get little workout -- not sure how they have managed to be visible, at all. I will probably start doing some work there. Yes, I DO feel much better. That's another post, altogether, and no doubt a lengthy one. Hawaiiwhatnot, I'm looking forward to your monthly weigh-in -- coming soon. We should be pretty much in the same zone now. Simmshe, I'd really like to lose more than the usual, but I'll wait and see, I guess. Have not weighed 120 or 125 for years -- like over 30 for 120, but only 8 for 128 -- which was short-lived, though. You're right that the years -- any recent years -- of effort tends to stay with one, albeit definitely hidden by overriding fats & fluids. I'm glad I put in that time in my late 30's and early 40's because I DO have an activity base that's beneficial and I've been able to recover. I wish I would do more to treat it like a good friend rather than turn my back on it so frequently. Tamil, I know exactly what you speak of if you know what it's like to have a good thing and then give it up. I think it feels worse, probably, than being constantly overweight. It certainly seems to give oneself a particularly severe head-thrashing when one wishes it weren't all so. I envy you your relative youth (33-ish). You can certainly take charge again and pursue what you want. Being strong and fit is helplful for lots of things. On the other hand, it usually collides with my personality, which is quite passive, shy, quite cool -- and so it gives me more challenges in those departments.

Let's be good to ourselves!
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby Ria » August 26th, 2004, 6:50 am

Hi DutchChoc,

Can I just say how wonderful you looked just a mere 5 years ago. I know that you can be back there in a couple months, blonde hair and all!!!I love it! For me exercise has always been a great outlet to whatever I have had going on in my life. I wont give it up for anything and anyone because "I Know" that it is a positive, good thing. When I met my husband he weighed 235, smoked a pack of cigarettes and ate an entrie pizza at one sitting. When we started dating I invited him to work out with me. After that he did not talk to me for 2 weeks...apparently he was all sore and swelled up as a result. I frequented the gym about 6 times a week and could not fathom giving it up. He eventually had to begin working out. Now he weighs 205, and does not smoke but most of all he looks like a hunk :shock:

My weight gain has been as a result of stress and depression AND not working out when I needed to. NO MORE!!! No matter what is happening in my life including moving from one state to another I manage to get a workout in at least 3-4 times a week. You can definitely do this...you are almost there! I think that the exercise factor will be the thing that will allow you to get back that incredible muscle tone you had just a mere 5 years ago. Go for it!!! I am right behind yuh!

186/154/130
Ria
Ria
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby DutchChoc » August 26th, 2004, 8:06 am

Thanks, Ria. I'm more on the right road now, I think, so let's kick the ill feelings we've had in the past and truly be the best we can be once again. I don't ever want to feel dejected, downtrodden, fat, ugly again.... it just doesn't make sense. Keep me up on how you're doing, OK?
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby sudaoning » August 26th, 2004, 9:06 am

Dutch

You look awesome. Then and now. I just LOVE a girl with muscles!!

I was once a workout junkie myself. As a kid I was embarassed to participate in gym. Had never been active. But was driven by some horrifically painful experiences to take up exercising. Eventually running 4-6 days a week (me??? running???) and weights 3. I could not believe that I had muscles!!!!
Loved them. And working out.
Life events (a story for another day) and a reaction to a rubella shot that produced nearly constant joint pain ended my working out and the pounds piled back on.
I will be 52 in a few weeks and hope to be at a 30 pound loss by then. I am postponing the working out. (But if it helps, I had excellent results at one point with working each muscle group only once a week. One heavy set with low reps.) I figure that if I can get the excess flabbage off the joints then working out will seem like a breeze. After all I have been carrying 70-80 extra pounds everywhere I went for years!!!

You go girl!
Donna
Start; 7/26/04
217/172/140
45 pounds and goin down!
sudaoning

Postby Nancy » August 26th, 2004, 6:26 pm

:weightlift: :weightlift: :weightlift: :weightlift: :weightlift: :weightlift:

Exercising is so much easier when you are even a tad bit thinner, eh?

Exercising is so much more fun when you can measure your results - the number of reps, the number of pounds you can lift or press, the length of time you can go on the treadmill, the bike, etc.

You are all doing the right thing - establish the life-long habit of exercise. In addition to keeping your body fit and healthy, it is good for helping to deal with stress as well as a great social outlet!

:jumprope: :jumprope: :jumprope: :jumprope: :jumprope:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby DutchChoc » September 11th, 2004, 11:30 am

Yes, for once when I exercise, I'm not eating all that I can because I imagine that I'm burning those extra calories, either.

Here's the status of my fairness today at 135. Well, that is, refer to the original picture posting and take a look at the middle picture soon because that's where I think it will be once Unca has a chance to replace the other working photo taken about 6 pounds ago, or maybe it was 8 pounds ago. In any case, I'm looking more like I wanna. The people who say we look older when we lose weight are obviously overlooking many of the benefits of a trimmer face and body. If I have wrinkles, I'll take them to big jowls anyday, which is what I had to start with.

Have a good day!!
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby sudaoning » September 11th, 2004, 6:26 pm

Wow Dutch
Now YOU're my Hero :exercise:
Start; 7/26/04
217/172/140
45 pounds and goin down!
sudaoning

Postby DutchChoc » September 11th, 2004, 6:55 pm

Thanks, Sudaoing. I'm taking lots of pictures in case it doesn't last. :| I've taken so many bad photos in the past few years that I can hardly stand it... and I always think back upon this gym picture and feel it's gold, like a memory of a so much happier and successful time. Something I can be proud of, etc. Now, YOU, I, and this whole place are going to lift the roofs with our ever-increasing glee over MF and MF success, and find ourselves looking good again.
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby Sylvia » September 11th, 2004, 6:57 pm

I love your new picture - you really look fantastic!
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby DutchChoc » September 11th, 2004, 7:06 pm

Thanks, Sylvia. I even think I look healthy, too, which should ease the concerns of anyone who worries about becoming pallid and starved-looking doing this.

I think I posted it today as a pick-me-up. Was feeling kind of aimless until I got on my horse to make something positive happen. I hope I'm finally getting better at taking care of my emotional state and my attitudes/fattitudes. In the past, in such a state, I'm sure I would've run amuck. This is definitely a mental game for me, through and through.
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Next

Return to Studio