Calling all dog lovers

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Calling all dog lovers

Postby Jan » July 17th, 2006, 5:53 pm

Hi There,
I know there are bunch of dog lovers on the forum. I catch you talking about your "pals" ever so often. So I thought I'd share about our latest pooch. Well actually he is my daughter's dog and joins two others at her house. First is a big (130 lb girl) an English Mastiff/ Black Lab cross who is a sweetheart named Heidi. Then there is a pesky dalmation named Dottie. She has never met a person she didn't love but is not tooo fond of other dogs. Now joining the group is the new guy named "Buddy" Both Heidi and Dottie seem to like him. My daughter found Buddy at the dog park. He had been there about five hours all by himself. It was a very very hot day and he had no water. He was tooo nervous to accept water from anyone there. Of course no owner was in sight. Someone just left him there. Gerrrr He's a nice guy...shepherd mix.. about 50 pounds or so. But he was in horrible condition. His nails were so long they were curling like ram's horns. His coat was very dirty. Mindy took him and had him bathed -- 4 bottles of shampoo- and his nails clipped. The only problem she couldn't solve for the poor guy was his missing eye. Someone had poked it. She took him to see a vet yesterday and to our vet today for a second opinion. It is an old injury and nothing can really be done. He got his shots today too. So he's joined the managerie at Mindy's house. Please everybody pray she doesn't come across an abandoned cow.....none of us have room for it. :-)
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Nicki » July 17th, 2006, 6:15 pm

I love a happy ending! What a lucky guy that he's found such an animal loving family! Thanks for sharing...
Nicki
started 9/19/05

Nicki
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby DogMa » July 17th, 2006, 7:20 pm

Good for Mindy!! I know my little abused boy has taken a lot more patience and understanding (and time and money) than Maggie has, but he's so worth it. Just seeing the little guy happy will make it all worth it. Every time I see Tay running around, wagging his tail like a normal, happy dog, my heart melts.

Every dog deserves to have a safe, loving home. I'm so glad the new addition to your family will have that for the rest of his life.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » July 17th, 2006, 9:34 pm

Every dog deserves to have a safe, loving home. I'm so glad the new addition to your family will have that for the rest of his life

Hiya,
How sweet you are, taking in a pooch and giving him a wonderful home! I can't even imagine anyone throwing a dog away like that and it makes me SO angry I can't even tell you! It warms my heart that this buddy found a family of his own!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Jan » July 18th, 2006, 9:32 pm

Hmmm,
Mindy just called me with the update. Buddy is doing great but is scheduled to lose his "manhood" next week. The vet says it will be much better for him, won't wander, less agressive and lessens his chance of cancer. So off to the vet next Tuesday..... I love to hear about dogs... share your stories too. :D I know there are lots of dog lovers and owners out there.... what kind do you have??? And I know they all have funny habits. Heidi (our lab mastiff) gets upset when playing with the frizbee -- it lands on the ground and forms a suction. She can't pick it up ... so she stomps on it. I can't tell you how many frizbees have "bit the dust"
I'm waiting to hear about your pooches.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » July 18th, 2006, 9:55 pm

Oh, sure, drag it out of me. :)

OK, I have two kids. Maggie's my first (of the dogs; I had a cat until he died last year). She was about to be put to sleep at the county shelter when my friend who does pit bull rescue found her (she's part pit). The plan was for me to say I found her in my town, which had a no-kill shelter but would only take animals found in my city. So of course Maryanne brought her over and came inside for a few minutes because I already knew I wasn't going to be able to just leave her at a shelter. They came in, and Maggie was just SO sweet. She saw Elvis, my cat, at the top of the stairs and didn't even react. And Elvis, who hated EVERYthing that wasn't human, just sat there and watched here, but didn't start yelling at her like he normally would. So that was it. We took her to the vet to get her checked out and make sure she had all her shots, and she's lived with me ever since. She's had surgery on both knees (torn ACLs a few years apart), but otherwise she's a great dog. Very friendly, and loves everyone except other dogs (with a few exceptions).

A few years after I got Maggie, I was at a shelter in Denver for abused and neglected animals, doing a charity project (painting the dog run). I went inside to wash off some brushes and saw this sad little dog in a cage near the door. He was clearly petrified, wide-eyed and trembling and huddled in a corner of his cage, and every time the door would open or close, he'd get even more scared. I went over and just sat near his cage, talking to him. The shelter folks opened the door to the cage, and I basically just sat there for an hour and a half, talking to him. He'd warm up a little and creep over toward me, but then the door would open and he'd jump back to his corner. I was smitten.

So the project was over and everyone left except me and my cousin. The shelter folks brought "Jordie" into their office with another dog that was his friend, and I sat on the floor and talked to him and waited for him to come to me. He crept up and licked my hand, and that was the end. I got the paperwork to adopt him, my cousin and I went to the synagogue to turn in our paperwork from the project, and we went back to the shelter so I could turn in the papers to adopt "my" dog. I wanted him to meet Maggie, but Maggie's not great with dogs on neutral territory, so they told me if I came back the next day I could take him home for the night.

So the next day I drove over to get him. It took three people to get him in my car because he was too afraid to walk on a leash. But as soon as I drove away, I looked in the mirror and say him standing up, looking out the back window. By the time we hit the freeway, he was coming between the seats in front to lick my face. I got him home, but of course he was too afraid to leave the car. So I left the car doors open and the door from the garage to the house open, and just went inside. Maggie went out to the garage and came back with Jordie (now called Teemu). Tay jumped up on the couch and settled in. We all went to the vet, where they had to examine Teemu under a chair because he was so afraid (I had to carry him into the vet's office). He checked out fine, so home we went. Within an hour or so, he was lying on top of me on the couch, snuggling into my neck. I called the shelter and told them to do whatever background checks they needed, but I wasn't bringing him back, even for a day.

Anyway, he was afraid of almost everything, including doorways. So in the next year or so I consulted a pet psychic (I know, but she actually helped), two trainers (one was wonderful, the other was horrible and told me he should never have been adopted out and should have been put to sleep and could never be trusted) and a behaviorist. He's still shy and a little jumpy, but he's the happiest little guy you'll ever meet. And the most loving dog I've ever known.
Last edited by DogMa on July 19th, 2006, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » July 18th, 2006, 10:38 pm

I have 3 4-legged children...an Akita (Cheyenne), a husky/malamute named Koda and a welsh Corgi (Yoda). Here they are with my twit little brother... click on pic to enlarge.

Cheyenne has taken to throwing Yoda's toys in the pool so he will jump in after them. Koda looks at both of them like they're stupid, but they do it for HOURS!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to What's Shakin'