Anti-depressants and Medifast

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Anti-depressants and Medifast

Postby Dee Bujalski » July 7th, 2006, 8:04 am

:?:
Can you pease advise on possible difficulties with weight loss on Medifast whilst taking anti-depressants.?It is that use for clinical depression that has given me the extra 40 lbs. I need to lose- over the last several years that I just cannot budge- even with a plethora of diet plans and moderate exercise. There are many clinical studies proving wt. gain and anti-depressant use. Paradoxically- the wt. gain makes you even more depressed.
Some anti- depressant studies from Japan even show MD's placing very thin individuals on drugs like Effexor, Celexa, &Paxil to effect very rapid weight gain.
I want to be successful- but cannot control the depression without my Cymbalta.
Any help, experience etc. would be welcomed. Thank You.
Dee Bujalski

Postby Unca_Tim » July 7th, 2006, 8:22 am

Hi Dee and welcome to the forum,
Call the TSFL nurse at:
(877) 270-5704

Glad you found us....:)
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby DogMa » July 7th, 2006, 8:23 am

Welcome, Dee. It's fine to do Medifast while on anti-depressants, as long as you're not taking lithium. There are several others here taking medication for depression, and I'm sure one or two will come along at some point to respond.

I'm very familiar with the weight gain associated with many anti-depressants. Although I don't take them now, I have in the past. You CAN lose the weight while still taking them, although your losses may be slower than average (but so are mine, for other reasons; at least you'll still lose).
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby VTGirlie » July 7th, 2006, 12:52 pm

Hi there!

I am on a low-dose AD and have not noticed any problems. In fact, I feel better than I have for years, and this is the first plan I've been able to follow and lose weight while on them. :)

Good luck!
Bets
235/204MFStart/182/135
"Nothing is as good as this day"
VTGirlie
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Lisa in NY » July 7th, 2006, 1:30 pm

I'm on a low-dose anti-depressant and have lost 63 lbs. (so far) in less than a year. My losses are a bit slower but they're still losses, which is more than I can say when I was trying to lose on other programs!

Also, one of my brothers is on an anti-d and has lost over 65 lbs. in about 8 months with Medifast!

Lisa
"Life's more painless for the brainless"...Scarecrow in WICKED
Lisa in NY
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Come on in.