Would this throw me out of ketosis?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Would this throw me out of ketosis?

Postby Lulie » May 31st, 2006, 11:25 pm

OK,

Here is what happened. We were out shopping and time passed more quickly than I planned so I had to eat out in a restaurant. I ordered grilled chicken plain, and steamed broccoli plain. But I asked for a side of fat free italian dressing to dip my broccoli in. I just wanted a little something to give it taste not much. Anyway, I dip my first piece in and I get a burst of pure sugar! It was too late to do anything since I had already chewed it up. That was all I ate of it. But then I got to thinking (oh no, not again, LOL) and I remembered I had read where someone ate one bite of candy or something and it threw them out of ketosis. Now that's all I can think of. Is that stupid dressing going to blow this for me? If I was gonna blow it, I would rather have eaten pizza or something worthwhile for crying out loud!

I would really appreciate any advice on this.

TIA
Start 4/11/06
225/164

If God is leading, I am following.

"I ate myself into this mess, now I gotta starve my way out!"
Lulie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby sheila » June 1st, 2006, 1:30 am

Im no expert, but I think you will be ok. ;)
sheila
sheila
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Jan » June 1st, 2006, 7:05 am

Hi Lulie,
I think you're going to be fine too. One little taste should not make a huge difference... but now if it had been pizza ......... :cry: Hands off that :mrgreen: jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby ascicles » June 1st, 2006, 8:09 am

Was it just regular dressing instead of fat free? We are allowed a teaspoon of regular condiments, so I don't see it being a problem.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby Lulie » June 1st, 2006, 9:22 pm

Thanks so much everyone, and Jan I will try to avoid the pizza! LOL But I sure have been craving pizza for some reason. I have been trying to dream up a substitute recipe for it!

I worried about that dressing though. She supposedly got me fat free italian dressing, but I never tasted sweet italian dressing before, so I am not so sure it was. I am pretty sure the waitress was new.

All I know was, it tasted like pure sugar to me. I realize we are more sensitive to sweet things now. At least I have noticed that I am. I was just so scared that would throw me out of ketosis.

Thanks so much. I will never order dressing in a restaurant again. I will just take my own and be safe!

Have a great weekend everyone.
Start 4/11/06
225/164

If God is leading, I am following.

"I ate myself into this mess, now I gotta starve my way out!"
Lulie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nova » June 2nd, 2006, 6:16 pm

Just think about it this way. You had one little bite of dressing. Even if it's pure sugar, it wouldn't be more than 2-5 carbs, so even if you did get knocked out of ketosis (unlikely), it'll only be for a few hours, not several days. If you'd had that pizza though, you'd be out of ketosis for a couple days, and hungry and mad at yourself the entire time. You did great! Save the pizza for when you're done with Medifast.
244/171

Would you rather eat what you want, or wear what you want?
Nova
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Diana » June 4th, 2006, 3:50 am

You know, that's the thing about fat free. There's no fat in sugar! So, when a company takes out the fat (which adds flavor and helps with texture), they usually compensate with carbs, and it's not uncommon that it's sugar for taste and/or some other carbohydrate for texture.

Some of this stuff we learn through trial and error. So far on my antiketosis list: powdered creamer, cough syrup (forgot to get the sugarfree kind), the vinegarette on the shrimp and spinach salad at Applebee's.
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Return to Weight Loss