Transition soon!!

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Transition soon!!

Postby TonyR » January 21st, 2007, 9:19 pm

Ok so I have a question since I am so close to transition. It states in the quickstart guide that for persons who have lost over 100 pounds needs to be on a 29 day transition. So since the guide is only for 14 days or so, then how do I do the transition for more days, elongate each period for a few days? Just don't want to mess this up after losing 150 pounds!! :)
Start 5/1/06
Goal 3/1/07
TonyR
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Serendipity » January 22nd, 2007, 4:28 am

Hi Tony, I don't know if it was right or not, but took 1 step per week. It took about a month. Week 1- extra veggie, week 2 - fruit, week 3 - dairy, week 4 - grain. I also decreased my supplements from 5 to 3 by the end and in the end I added a second L&G.

I still eat 3 supplements per day, 2 l&g's, a fruit, a dairy, and only sometimes a grain.....on most days. I add treats here and there, but not on a schedule.....I would say it's worked out to once a week or so.

Good luck to you. It's been really easy so far. You'll do great.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Serendipity » January 22nd, 2007, 4:29 am

Oh, Tony. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I waited to start transition until my weight leveled out at my goal. It actually took 2 weeks!
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

Postby TonyR » January 22nd, 2007, 7:58 am

Thanks for the info Jo! I really appreciate it!
Start 5/1/06
Goal 3/1/07
TonyR

Postby Lauren » January 22nd, 2007, 9:35 am

Hey, Tony, congrats on SUCH an exciting time! I am so happy for you, and can't wait for you to join us here in MaintenanceLand!

Like Jo, I just spread out each phase longer than was recommended. I had already been eating extra veggies pretty freely (throughout MF plan, I always allowed myself veggies if I was feeling peckish), so I didn't do the week of transition that added veggies - would've been redundant! However, I spaced out my fruit for a considerable amount of time, maybe like 10 days, and did the same with the dairy. In fact, both of those additions were pretty much the only key additions that I've added, as I still never added whole grains (any carbs I get right now, I get from fruit & veggies, MF supplements, and the carbs that just occur in proteins and other foods). I add the fats in the form of olive oil and the such as dressing or marinade, but I never really treated that as a special week or phase, as I had already begun adding olive oil to my diet months ago - to help with my hair loss. Basically, after a few weeks, I just started adding a second L&G to my once daily, so I still eat every 3 hours, either L&Gs or MF supplements, or my favorite: Greek Yogurt (0% Fage Total Yogurt) with a fruit.

I continued to lose a few pounds after I began transitioning, which wasn't too much of a surprise, but what I find most fascinating is that I am TRULY maintaining - for the last few weeks I have been at almost exactly the same weight every day. That seems insane to me! I love it, and hope it lasts forever! :-)

Please let me know if there's anything you need or help we can provide - since Jo and I both just went through transition, it's still fresh in our minds!

Good luck!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby Nancy » January 22nd, 2007, 3:16 pm

Hi, Tony ~

I am :yippee: stoked! You are nearing a wonderful place and I hope that you enjoy it as much as Jo, Lauren and others have - it is a precious reward for the hard work you've done.

They pretty much covered it in their replies above. I think transition works best when we spread out each step for a week or more. Our weight will fluctuate and when we know that right from the beginning, it eliminates any fear that may arise when we see the scale move above our goal weight. I know I was extremely hooked to the scale as I moved closer to transition and since I knew no one who had gone through it before, I didn’t have any first hand helpers.

Arrive at your goal weight of 190, continue to stay on program as mentioned above for a couple of weeks - yes, you may go below your goal during that time but it helps our body to accustom itself to that weight zone.

Add the foods back one at a time and savor every little crumbette of it. Just wait until you have a crisp apple or a marionberry (hmm..you may not have them down there. It’s not that former mayor dude arrested for crack and hangin’ out with a lady of the night….They were developed in Marion County Oregon as a combo of Chehalem and Olallie blackberries. I can’t recall the whole story but they are wonderful in flavor – tart and have a hint of raspberry-ish flave to my tastebuds.) Dang! Those berries are worth the wait!

Keep your fluid intake where it has been - we will continue to be camels for the rest of our days; it is needful for a healthy body.

What does your work out schedule look like at this time?

I have to really limit bread, corn, potatoes. IF I eat a potato, I prefer a baked yam or baked sweet potato. I love French fries but they are killer for me – they set me off on a trip I don’t need to take. We all find those things in our foody past that are best when left untouched.

Keep us tuned in, Tony!

:bow: You rock, Man! Proud of you!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » January 22nd, 2007, 7:42 pm

I have nothing to add since I'm obviously not in transition or maintenance, yet. I have only one thing to say...WOO HOO! You ROCK! Your beautiful wife must be so proud of you! I'm thrilled for you!

I think having a set plan for what will occur each day and week of transition will be helpful! I love it that you guys are paving the way for us! By the time I reach transition, I'll be able to follow your words like a book!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » January 22nd, 2007, 8:17 pm

DeDe ~

You are right-on! It helps us all when we have people we can talk to and we can hear about the experience of others.

I felt like a total pioneer when I was on the weight loss program. My sponsor lost about 35 pounds and then fell off the Mediwagon so my husband Terry entered into transition with me by his side. He reached his goal long before I did as he had to lose but 60 pounds. I thought it would never be my turn to taste bread or an oatmeal cookie!

As we made progress we began to meet others who were on the program and compared experiences with them; then we attended a local TSFL meeting and met Dr. Andersen and his wife Lori. They assured me to know that we would be able to have maintenance success by closely following the program. At the first annual TSFL conference held in Orlando in 2003 we met others that also were maintianing their healthy weight. Wow! That was such a relief.

It really is a blast for me to meet fellow/fellowette MakeMeThinner people in person because I know how special it is to see a person in the thin! It’s one thing to see a person’s picture in a magazine or on a website but to meet them in person is truly a good thing.

Each of you has a unique way of touching the lives of others who struggle with being overweight and I thak you for sharing your stories and time so freely with others. Never did I think that I could kick obesity in the hiney and live with the joy I now experience.

Tony, you have the privilege of sharing with us how you deal with the life-long food issues that come your way. In addition to the fabulous women folk here, Mike, Brian, and many others have their eyes on you. As a husband and Daddy we want you to be your healthiest best for the rest of your life!

Live each day to the thinny max!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby TonyR » January 22nd, 2007, 9:12 pm

Thanks Deede for the words of encouragement!

Nancy-- Thank you for the input and the cudos!! I couldn't do this without the support of my wife and friends! My wife, bless her heart, has been encouraging me for the last 9 and a half months, and when I told her I was dropping my goal 10 pounds she was behind me all the way. Just tonight I told her I wanted to lose 20 more, and she said whatever you want, but I know I am ready to just move on!

I feel like I have a renewed energy now, and even more so I have to be quick on my feet to catch my little girl because she is as quick as a lightning bolt, and not to mention our little boy that is due here in April! I gotta be able to get out there and play catch with him! It is also a mental challenge to do this program, and I have to choose daily to wake up and stick to the program because I know if I don't then it takes me 3-4 days to get back in the burning groove! I am ready for my weight loss journey to end, but I can't wait for my transition and maintaining period to begin!! Jo, Lauren and you Nancy have paved the way on here for us to look at and model!

Right now my exercise consists of 20-30 minutes of vigorous walking which takes me about 1.5-2 miles. I have even done some running too so I haven't done that since my sophmore year in highschool which is about 15 years ago or so. When I go on transition and maintenance I am going to hit the weights and do them every other day and walk the other days. I know I may gain weight, but I know it will be muscle and not fat!

I appreciate all the encouragement on here even though I don't post much!
Start 5/1/06
Goal 3/1/07
TonyR

Postby Mike » January 22nd, 2007, 9:54 pm

Nancy wrote:marionberry (hmm..you may not have them down there. It’s not that former mayor dude arrested for crack and hangin’ out with a lady of the night….They were developed in Marion County Oregon as a combo of Chehalem and Olallie blackberries. I can’t recall the whole story but they are wonderful in flavor – tart and have a hint of raspberry-ish flave to my tastebuds.) Dang! Those berries are worth the wait!

I'm pretty sure Tony has tried these. Being where he was raised, I'm fairly certain he has had them. They are yummy. I recall having Marionberry cobbler from a little restaurant in Ashland. Yummy!! ;)

BTW, Tony, you are awesome. Can't wait to get there myself, and I will this year.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby TonyR » January 22nd, 2007, 9:59 pm

oh that is right, I forgot to say to that about the Marionberries, I was born and raised in Klamath Falls, OR, so yeah I have had them, and YUMMO!!!

Come on over to the transition side Mike, there is a seat right here for ya!! ;)
Start 5/1/06
Goal 3/1/07
TonyR

Postby Nova » January 23rd, 2007, 4:58 pm

The thing I've found most helpful is to have a plan. On MF, we had a simple plan. Eat a packet or bar every 2-3 hours plus a L&G. Nowadays, I still eat 6 times every 2-3 hours, but my food choices are a lot more open. To avoid over-eating or poor food choices, I make sure to have a plan. It sounds silly, but I have a white board on my frig and every night I write down what I'll be eating the next day for breakfast, snack, lunch, and afternoon snacks. Then in the morning, all I have to do is grab the various containers and whatnot and put them in my cooler.

I've also got a plan for my cardio days and another plan for my weight lifting. That keeps me from getting to the gym and goofing off. I guess I just work best when I have a lot of structure to my day.
244/171

Would you rather eat what you want, or wear what you want?
Nova
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Nancy » January 23rd, 2007, 7:40 pm

Nova ~

You are implementing the BeSlim philosophy

I = Individual Plan

L = low fat meals 5-6 times a day

E = exercise :weightlift: Good for you! You planned it into your day.

Although you did not mention it specifically, Breakfast is an important aspect of our day - to get our metabolism moving, we need to eat shortly after getting up in the morning. I assume one of your 6 meals is eaten within the hour of crawling out of bed each day. B= breakkie :eat:

We see you participating in the Forum so there's your support part. (The 's' in BeSlim)

We know you are monitoring your weight. :yay:

You've got it covered. :cheerleader:

Planning is vital - it assures success and prevents slipping into old habits and the downward spiral.

Weigh to go, Nova! :leopard:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Maintenance