One Week into Transition

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

One Week into Transition

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » November 26th, 2004, 1:15 pm

Howdy Gang,

Yesterday was Thanksgiving, and my 7th day of transition. I had 6 days of 5 shakes and 3-4 oz of lean turkey. Yesterday was the start of my second week so for this week I'll have 5 shakes, 3-4 oz of lean meat, and 1 to 2 cups of salad daily. It was neat that I got to start the salad when it was Thanksgiving Day so I felt like I had something totally new and special and not so deprived. After six months without any food other than MF, eating turkey and salad is a great renewing experience. Talk about learning to appreciate food! I don't take it for granted any more! Haven't had any problem with digestion or indigestion, and as long as I take my shakes on time, I'm strong and extremely energetic. Still doing pilates, and it's so good for my back and flexibility.

Enjoying life!
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Sylvia » November 28th, 2004, 8:58 pm

Camille,

Glad to hear that you're taking it slow and that things are going smoothly. I am now through transition and back to real food almost entirely. I have to say it is really hard so far. First, I just don't feel as good as I've felt all of these months on MF. I seem to have either bad allergies or a bit of a cold which doesn't help, but I just don't feel as great as I've been feeling in recent months. Second, I really wish there was more of a maintenance plan and a bit more formal guidance for this phase. I am nervous about eating anything and really don't know how much of what I can eat without gaining weight.

I know I need to eat in controlled amounts and that it will take a while for my metabolism to get up to normal. What I don't know is how much I should eat of what. This past few days have been really hard. Had a bunch of family in for the holiday and then spent a lot of time with my Husband and kids. I am really used to planning something for them and something different for me. It was a real challenge to try to come up with things we could all eat. I still have a ways to go.

I'm actually looking forward to going back to work. It is so much easier to drink a LOT of water and eat small amounts of food every couple of hours. I am up a couple of pound over the last couple of days but really think it is due to drinking very little water. I guess I'll just keep weighing myself every day to see what patterns emerge. And of course, if I gain more than a couple of pounds, I'll need to go back to basics...

I'd love any tips anyone has - I have the weight loss part down but I don't have this part down at all.

S
Sylvia

Postby explorthis » November 28th, 2004, 11:12 pm

I'd love any tips anyone has - I have the weight loss part down but I don't have this part down at all.

Sylvia, your photos look absolutely great (on your other post). We had briefly discussed the beginning maintenance thing awhile ago, and I posted a rather lengthy bit of info “a day in the life of Mike” See below:

http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1641

I think it is gonna take awhile for you to figure based on your body composition how many calories and fat/sugar/carbs you can have. Find out first based on your size what you’re “supposed” to have then begin from there. If it’s 1500 calories, then begin there. Be real cautious of the sugar and carbs, this is the downfall of most of us, and how we got here in the first place. Lots of fruits and veggies, they fill the hunger void. TONS of liquid, you're used to water now, keep it on your schedule.

Check out the last post (above) and ask specific questions… Since you are almost fully on food now, what is a snapshot of your daily intake???

You will do it. Almost a year later, I am still learning everyday. The weight loss, now that I look back was the easy part believe it or not, but this is not impossible…

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Sylvia » November 29th, 2004, 9:03 am

Thanks Mike for reminding me of this string. Reading it again was helpful.

Part of my problem is that I don't want the answer to be that I have to eat 1200-1400 calories from now until forever! I want a magic bullet that will boost my metabolism to a "normal" level. I know I can't go back to how I used to eat and honestly have no desire to but I would like to be able to eat 1800-2000 healthy calories a day.

You and Nancy are both so right that journaling is key. I just absolutely hate to do it but I know I need to so I will give it a try. I have the exercise thing down and I really enjoy it now so I hope that will help me make up for at least a few sins.

I think some of my frustration is that I ended transition just before this long T-giving weekend. It wasn't the T-giving meal itself, it was the lack of a schedule and the other 14 meals I had to plan, make and eat. It is just so much easier during a normal work week.

Oh well, back to normal today and feeling a bit more in control. Thanks Again!

S
Sylvia

Postby explorthis » November 29th, 2004, 9:19 am

Part of my problem is that I don't want the answer to be that I have to eat 1200-1400 calories from now until forever

I don’t remember your past, or how long you were overweight (too lazy to scan back posts) but my situation is probably like many, overweight my entire life. I know nothing different, nor do I think I could ever go back to the old way of eating.

I do not journal as much. In fact, I have not journal-ed in about 4 months. Now I eat, based on knowing right from wrong. In your mind, you know healthy, and you know what causes weight gain. Something that was ingrained into us as kids. We know. Not brain surgery. I think about everything I eat, before I eat it. I think this is the magic bullet, as you put it. In the past, anything in front of me, or anyone else for that matter was fair game, and it was open hunting season on everyone’s game – your game was my game!

Difference now, I actually apply what I knew all along. I know that fruit/veggies are good, instead of just thinking about it. I know Sugar and Carbs. in excess will cause weight gain. I know the importance of water, and drink now like I did on Medifast.

You will learn as time passes, and you MAINTAIN, what hurts you, and what helps you. There will be times you gain 1-2-3-4 pounds for no reason, but if your faithful to maintenance, it will come off as fast as it went on.

Cheat. Eat what you want, but WITHIN REASON. Nothing wrong with a piece of B/Day cake or Ice Cream. It now has to be in moderation.

Funny, most of you know I have a teen daughter – 13-1/2. She is about as perfect weight as anyone could ever hope to be. Tall, thin, perfectly proportioned. She can eat whatever she wants, whenever she wants, with no weight gain. This will not last forever, or maybe it will. Who knows. Point is I watch her eat. She eats some junk, but much of her diet is basics and good things. She eats methodically. Slow. Cautious. She picks, chews, eats slowly. She has never seen a weight problem, but has this “thin habit” If she can do it, so can I. I try and eat like her, slow. I was always the one that shoveled it gone in 1 minute. She is always the last one finished. Now I try and Mimic her. Funny – a 43 year old Man, learning habits from his 13 year old teen!!

You will learn. Might be that you have to watch till you die, everything you eat. Maybe not.

I can tell you this, almost a year of maintenance. I have gained about 10 pounds over my original loss, and feel great. No one taught me, I am still learning everyday. It is easier than it was 300 days ago. If I have to cautiously watch every individual thing that goes in my mouth, then so be it. Thinner is definitely better than fat. If this is the labor involved, then so be it.

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis

Return to Maintenance