Nearing Transition...

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Nearing Transition...

Postby Amber » October 23rd, 2006, 3:38 pm

Ok, Transition Team...
What are the three things that you wish you knew, or wish you had done differently, as you entered transition? I'm to join you shortly and can use all the help that I can get. Your $.02 will be greatly appreciated!
Amber

Goal Met November 1, 2006
#44, 23 weeks
Amber
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby DogMa » October 23rd, 2006, 9:44 pm

I think I'd have kept my carbs lower and increased my fats a little more, and maybe started increasing my calories sooner because of all the exercise.

That, and I probably would have started maintenance sooner because I'd have lost those last few pounds long ago if I hadn't been eating only 800 calories.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Elidh » November 24th, 2006, 9:38 am

I am starting Transition today - I understand how to (according to the Guide) - but it kind of leaves you hanging there once Transition is over. On the last day of Transition you're still eating 5 MF meanl/day. The next day you're on Maintenance - what then? Just count calories? Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else.
Elidh

Elidh
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby Amber » November 24th, 2006, 10:59 am

First things first, congrats, Elidh!
This is probably best addressed by your HA but I'll throw in what little I know... The Quick Start guide addresses Maintenance minimally, imo. However, if you read pages 13 & 14, you'll have a bit to go on... At the end of Transition you'll be having 3 MF supplements, 1 c. friut, .5 c. dairy, 1 grain & 2 L&Gs. I think, from there, it's just a matter of tweaking that slightly to stay at the recommended caloric level for the prescribed length of time. I think that you'll be quite surprised at how quickly you'll figure out the right amount of calories that will fit YOUR needs. I'm finding that, for me, a daily weigh-in is a necessity!
Hope that helps & Best Wishes!
Amber

#44, 23 weeks
Amber

Postby Elidh » November 24th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Thanks, Amber....

Yes, the common factor present when I gained weight after getting to goal on Jenny Craig, LA Weight Loss and Nutri-system was that I stopped weighing....I don't intend to let that happen this time!
Elidh

Elidh
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby Nancy » November 25th, 2006, 10:54 am

Hi, Elidh ~ welcome to transition!

re:
On the last day of Transition you're still eating 5 MF meanl/day

Maintenance is actually based on three meal replacements, not five.

For most people, the weight loss phase is the 5 & 1 Program - five Medifast meal replacement packets and one lean and green meal; maintenance is three Medifast meal replacements, two lean and green meals plus healthful snacks.

For best weight management success, we need to observe a meal plan with about 20% of calories coming from fats that are monosaturated, such as olive oil or canola and avoid animal fats; eat complex carbohydrates - avoid simple sugars , and eat a minimum of processed foods. Some people have the time and patience to plan and prepare healthy foods that are low in calories and carbs yet provide good protein sources and they do not need to rely on three Medifast meal replacements. For me and some others, we just prefer to just grab a packet - all the work is done for us and we want to include the 25 grams of soy protein the packets include for good heart health. It certainly is a matter of personal choice. If you can find the time to shop for the food, wash/peel/cut/ measure and bag it, etc. that’s great but for my time – I just like to grab a packet, shake or stir and nuke and get one with my day.

Good weight management includes exercise and truly incorporates the steps outlined in Dr. Andersen's BeSlim Philosophy which is based on the characteristics of people on the National Weight Control Registry that have maintained their weight loss for five years or more.

During our weight loss phase on Take Shape's Program, we are learning the steps for life-long weight management:
• we begin each day with a healthy breakfast shortly after leaping out of bed
• we eat every couple of hours
• we keep our body well-hydrated
• we eat small meals that include a good source of healthy protein and eat meals are balanced with complex carbohydrates that do not rapidly increase our blood sugar
• we plan in advance what we will eat so we are well-prepared and do not 'blank out' and scarf with wild abandonment!
• we are accountable to others
• we keep track of our weight and keep it in check before it gets out of control
• we include regular exercise – not excessive, brutal workouts but consistent exercise

It all boils down to permanently changing our eating habits and lifestyle.

Enjoy the healthy new you and the delight each day brings your way!

P.S Yikes! Amber! Thanks for your reply - I see you posted while I was reading and typing! You are the best!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby DogMa » November 28th, 2006, 10:33 pm

But the guide actually says that once you hit maintenance, you shouldn't have a Medifast packet by itself as a meal because it's too low in calories.

I don't know what the other maintainers do, but if they're following the guidelines, then they're presumably not eating JUST a Medifast meal and are supplementing with other foods.

For me, the packets are convenient on occasion, but I'd much rather cook my own food. I enjoy cooking for myself and others, and I still enjoy eating and enjoying a variety of fresh, healthy foods. It's an individual choice.

(As for exercise, "brutal" and "excessive" are subjective terms. It depends on what your fitness level is and what you'd like it to be.)
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Amber » November 29th, 2006, 8:35 am

But the guide actually says that once you hit maintenance, you shouldn't have a Medifast packet by itself as a meal because it's too low in calories.

I happen to agree with that, for me anyway, but I don't find it in the guide. Where is it, Robin? (and how's the new job?)
Thanks!
Amber

#44, 23 weeks
Amber

Postby DogMa » November 29th, 2006, 11:22 am

I can't find it offhand, but I'm sure I read it before. Probably in some info they sent me (of course, they're always changing things, so it might just not be there anymore).
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Nancy » November 29th, 2006, 1:02 pm

For weight management, we will always have to :shock: watch portion sizes and be mindful of the calories, fat, and sugars we eat. The structure Medifast offers us during the 5 & 1 weight loss phase is helpful to us for life-long weight control.

The meal replacements are low in calories, carbohydrates and sugars while providing an excellent source of protein and vitamins.

Some of us find that the Medifast meal replacements are great for weight management because they are calorie-controlled and it takes the guess-work out of our daily routine and saves us time.

Many of us with specific health concerns also like the unique products such as the Joint Health Shakes or the Women’s Health Shakes so we use the specialty shakes in addition to regular foods.

Re:

Perhaps you are referring to what Linda Spangle writes in her book, Success In a Shaker Jar, where she says,

“Continue using two or three Medifast products a day as part of your regular meal plan. The packets provide a healthy, low-fat protein source that can be used instead of foods such as meat or cheese.

However, after transition, don’t substitute a packet for an entire meal. When you are no longer in ketosis, the calorie level of a packet is too low to provide adequate fuel. To be sure you have enough food intake, have a packet along with at least one other food item, such as a piece of fruit or a salad.”

I notice that Linda writes about not using a packet for an entire meal for weight management.

It’s kind of like saying I shouldn’t have an apple or a wad of broccoli or celery for a meal because the calories are too low.

Generally we use the packets as a nutritional resource/health supplement or in between meals; since we are not in ketosis, hunger returns.

Once we reach our desired weight, we slowly add back more calories and replace some of the packets with regular foods, keeping in mind the importance of balancing the numbers of calories we consume and the amount of energy we burn.

Exercise is part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle; we must carve out time for it and we need to do it.

We cannot maintain our health without exercise.

I am thankful for our membership at the Y and for the many ways they offer to keep people fit – including water aerobics, yoga, pilates, spinning, basketball, volleyball, etc.

Robin, many people are concerned that they will have to spend hours in a gym to maintain their weight and not everyone enjoys exercise or has the time or inclination to devote as much time as some do.

Finding or making time to exercise can seem overwhelming as we try to fit it in between the commute, work, family and home responsibilities, social obligations, etc. and yet exercise is vital.

It is not necessary to join a gym or a fitness center – we can exercise at home using fitness machines, DVDs, and weights or walk/bike in the neighborhood; as little as 30-45 minutes a day will do it.

When I was working at the college, many of us walked on our lunch hour or went to the gym and lifted weights. Many avenues are available – we must do it. Life-long changes to the way we eat and the way we move are necessary for life-long weight management.

People who exercise can eat more food and for many of us, that makes weight management more enticing – we feel like we are not going to be deprived for the rest of our lives.

Regular exercise has physical, emotional and mental benefits. Weight maintenance involves finding the right balance so that the amount of food we eat is equal to the amount of energy we spend. Calories in = calories out.

The amount of calories each individual needs varies widely. Just as the rate of our weight loss varies from individual to individual, the amount of food ‘maintainers’ eat varies as well. Our age, height, muscle mass, activity level and general health are part of the equation.

Some of you are young and have not spent your life yo-yo dieting like I have so please know that my experience may differ from yours. I am not trying to avoid giving you a specific meal plan or a specific number of calories to eat on a daily basis, you will need to experiment with different foods and calories to determine what works best for you – go slowly and record your meals so you have a better idea of what works for you.

Do not slip back into your old habits – it is very easy to do so and by keeping a journal you will have a better plan to follow and can protect yourself from doing foody damage.

Sometimes I add some fruit or vegetables to a packet of Medifast – for example, sometimes I add dried cranberries or a few almonds or walnuts to the Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal, raisins to the Maple & Brown Sugar or some blueberries to my Medifast Blueberry Oatmeal; I add chopped broccoli to the Creamy Broccoli soup, and green beans or broccoli to the Medifast Minestrone. Sometimes I have a small salad and cottage cheese for lunch and a Medifast Plus for Women’s Health shake a couple of hours later. I have a couple of the Women’s Health shakes a day and have them all by themselves with nuthin’ added.

We’re looking at the overall picture of our daily intake – not an hour by hour intake.

When we are on the weight loss phase of the program, we remind people that it is important to eat all five of the Medifast meal replacements because skipping meals means we are skipping nutrients and protein. When we are on maintenance, we still need to eat every few hours to keep our blood sugar from dipping and sending us on a food hunt.

Over time, it is important to increase the intensity of our exercise and it is needful to exercise consistently.

Trust in the things you’ve learned during weight loss – you have the tools now for life-long weight management. You’ve learned the keys to changing eating behaviors, you know what an appropriate meal portion looks like, you’ve learned to eat and chew slowly, to prepare (or order!) foods with better heart health in mind, to plan meals in advance and to enter social settings with confidence, you can select vegetables that are lower in carbs and have changed your relationship with food.

You’ve taken positive steps to develop new skills and now you can keep on living a healthy active life.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Amber » November 29th, 2006, 1:43 pm

Hey, Nancy, how'd you get so smart? :scratch:
Amber

#44, 23 weeks
Amber

Postby DogMa » November 29th, 2006, 6:24 pm

Thanks, Nancy, that must be where I read it.

And no argument here on the need for exercise; far from it. I'm just saying that what some may call brutal or excessive exercise is just fine for others. I don't work out for long periods of time (most days, anyway), but I also don't go for a stroll around the block and call it a day. We all have to find what works best for us and what makes us feel best. I'm in my 40s, well past menopause and with a history of yo-yo dieting. But I also run and lift weights and other things to stay active.

I monitor my calories closely, especially as I'm increasing them. And yes, overall calories for the day matter. But so does spreading them out over the course of a day. I don't generally eat a huge amount of calories at one time; I prefer to spread them out through the whole day (just as I BURN calories throughout the day). If three of my six feedings were only 100 calories each, that would leave me eating pretty large amounts at the other meals. That's something I choose not to do.

Again, whatever works for you. I prefer to spread my calories out a little more; the one time I have a Medifast meal on its own is my late-night pudding, because it's pretty close to bedtime. But I don't know how many calories you eat in an average day. Everyone's level is different (as are everyone's tastes; you guys know how I feel about Medifast products, and if I thought I'd have to eat them three times a day for life, I would NEVER have started the program because I just don't care for the taste of most of the products).

Anyway, I think a lot depends on your lifestyle. If the levels of calories, protein, carbs and sugars work for you, and you enjoy the products, then eat 'em often. I usually eat more of the first two and less of the second, and much prefer eating my own freshly prepared food. (And yeah, I wouldn't eat an apple or a wad of broccoli for a meal. I wouldn't even generally eat either of those for a snack because they're not balanced enough. So, apple with low-fat cheese or peanut butter, and broccoli with some sort of protein and a bit of fat.)
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Re: Nearing Transition...

Postby Lizabette » December 1st, 2006, 10:19 pm

Amber wrote:Ok, Transition Team...
What are the three things that you wish you knew, or wish you had done differently, as you entered transition? I'm to join you shortly and can use all the help that I can get. Your $.02 will be greatly appreciated!

AMBER, CONGRATULATIONS!
I'm not sure if I already told you before, but you deserve it again, congratulations!

Three things that have really helped me in transition/maintenance are:
Weighing each morning.
Keeping a daily journal of what I weigh and eat.
Continue eating at least 6 times a day. (which usually includes 2-3 MF supplements)
Oh yes, and I try to exercise some each day. The Y for water aerobics 3 days, and walking on off days. (I said TRY!)
Another one: I try to stay accountable by posting on Sunday Roll Call and some posts during the week. (Not as much as I should!)

I don't really know just when my transition ended and maintenance began.
It just sort of evolved...
For about 3 months, I have remained 3-5 pounds under goal as a result of the above.
I believe that as long as I do these things, I will not regain the weight I so wondrously lost with MF and the help and encouragement of those on the forums...
especially from Nancy who has been there for me every step of the way!
I've enjoyed reading this thread and keep learning alot from it.
I have learned that maintaining is an individual and personal thing and no one pattern fits all.
We can each find the best way, if we truly seek it.
Life has been richer and fuller for me since I have reached goal and I'm still striving to stay on the right road to health and fitness.
I appreciate you all so much.
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Serendipity » December 2nd, 2006, 4:23 am

Nancy wrote:During our weight loss phase on Take Shape's Program, we are learning the steps for life-long weight management:
• we begin each day with a healthy breakfast shortly after leaping out of bed
• we eat every couple of hours
• we keep our body well-hydrated
• we eat small meals that include a good source of healthy protein and eat meals are balanced with complex carbohydrates that do not rapidly increase our blood sugar
• we plan in advance what we will eat so we are well-prepared and do not 'blank out' and scarf with wild abandonment!
• we are accountable to others
• we keep track of our weight and keep it in check before it gets out of control
• we include regular exercise – not excessive, brutal workouts but consistent exercise

It all boils down to permanently changing our eating habits and lifestyle.

Thanks for the timely advise, Nancy.

Unlike you, Robin, I love my MF and I'm trying to figure out how I can still have the supplements I look forward to daily and be able to fit in real food, lol. I mean, I love oatmeal, RTD's, pudding, beef stew, bars, etc.....with only 3 supplements per day, I'll need to give something up daily, waaaaaa. :mrgreen:
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Lizabette » December 2nd, 2006, 11:59 am

AMBER, I know you won't mind if I congratulate JO on your thread!
WHOOHOO for you both!

JO, I am so thrilled for you. Such an unbelievable accomplishment to reach goal and losing SO MUCH and come out unscathed!
To me, you are the perfect MF Role Model! I am in awe! :bow:

Girls, I bought my first size 6 jeans today. How sweet it is!
Both of you will do wonderful on transition/maintenance...we know what to do and we will keep doing it!

Oh, and ELIDH, congratulations to you, too. So proud of you!

195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Next

Return to Maintenance