nearing end of week 2 and struggling

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

nearing end of week 2 and struggling

Postby sheri1103 » December 9th, 2006, 12:55 pm

Hi All - After reading so many wonderful and inspiring posts I had to check in. After losing so much the 1st week-15#-it has been a slow 2nd week-only 1.5 pounds so far. And it has been a long work week as well. I can see where I have used fatigue in the past to welcome back my ol' buddy food. As I am so new I haven't had a chance to get to know alot of you, but I am looking forward to it. I really want to do this, but gee when life hits you, trying to turn off that "old tape" of reaching for food as a comforter, it is not easy. Having lost the same 100 pounds twice previously I know my pitfalls. So I am trying hard to stay focused on the here and now and remain committed to my plan. I have not strayed once this week and have even increased my water. So I am doing what I am supposed to be doing. So here's to patience and encouragement.
Also I have removed the weight loss ruler. I made another discovery. I am an accountant and can really over-focus on the numbers and do a real head trip on myself. Constantly remembering the number of pounds I want to lose, can, for me, be counter productive. But trust me I will keep you informed of my progress!!!

Thanks to one and all!
Sheri
sheri1103
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Elizabeth » December 9th, 2006, 1:22 pm

Hi Sheri, I can relate to everything you say. I've been compliant since Dec 1 and have lost 9 lbs so far. I am finding it really difficult to have to find an alternative when I get anxious, mad, lonely, hungry, bored etc. I have been telling myself that I just need to get through to my next MF meal. Sometimes it feels right to weigh, ticker etc.. and then other times I need to just get busy with life and follow the plan and stay busy. So, I totally understand your struggles.
I hope you can find a way to continue and get through the days. Some things that I feel has helped me so far is....

reading posts from people who have been successful and have lost the amount of weight that I need to....Lauren, Serendipity, Hyperion. I go back a year and read. It helps alot.

It helps me to always have in front of me... a big glass of water, diet soda, flavored water, coffee, iced tea in front of me...always.

It also helps to make soups and double the liquids. I (I don't know if you can) but I like to add extra low carb veggies, boullion, extra seasoning like cayenne, Mrs Dash table blend. The soups can be very filling. The fact that I make the "hot" makes me drink alot of water also. This is very filling and then I'm ready for another meal in 2 hours.

And also, I think about how I would like to be thin and trim next summer. The only way I can acheive this is to stay on plan right now....make it work right now, tomorrow and the next day. If you think about it.....some have lost over 100 lbs in 7 months or so. Thats just over 200 days to be on plan....we can do this can't we?

Being compliant on plan is helping me to deal with the reasons why I am eating....mentioned above. It is making me deal with these feelings. I have to think through them and move my attention to something positive. It could be watching tv, reading, playing with my kids or pets. I could clean out a drawer or closet. How about exercise for 10 minutes. Something positive.

I don't know if any of this will touch home with you but I do understand your struggles.

Good luck with acheiving your dream of becoming healthy. Its tough, but doable.

...Elizabeth
Elizabeth
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby bdg » December 9th, 2006, 1:51 pm

One of the big things to remember is 15 lbs in the first week is phenomenal and also a big change for your body. Your body may fight you for a week or two as it gets used to the lower calorie count you are getting. This can cause the second and maybe even third week to be a bit slower or a lot slower.

The normal average for the program is 2-5lbs per week. Some do the 2 some do the 5. Don't be frustrated with 2 lbs per week as that is still 8-10 lbs per week. 1.5 will give way to maybe 2 or 3 next week. Hang in there and keep that chin up!

You will do great, just remember the numbers will come, but look forward to small goals like going down a size or 10 more lbs or whatever it is. Don't look at the total as the only goal because you will get frustrated with still being X amount of pounds away. Good luck and keep on shaking!
Start date: April 8, 2006
bdg
Preferred Member - #190 Club
Preferred Member - #190 Club

Postby Serendipity » December 9th, 2006, 3:14 pm

Ok, accountant buddy....... spreadsheet time! I want you to plot your expected weight loss, let's say 2.5 pounds per week to be conservative, with a big red line. Figure out when your goal will be reached at that rate and draw the line. Then plot your weight loss. I did it each time I showed a loss. I weighed every day, so there were many days when the plot line didn't move.

As long as you stay on or below the red line, you are in business, lady. The plot line will be anything but straight and you will see that your body has a mind of it's own in the weight loss arena, but you will also see that you are on course........remember, no worries if you are at or below the red line.

There's a program called FitDay that's free....just do a search. You can do this same spreadsheet on that program along with lots of other neat stuff. The program keeps track of your average weight loss, and your projected weight loss......it's great for a numbers people like you and me. Don't fight the tendency to think numbers, I did and look where it got me!
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Lucy » December 9th, 2006, 5:13 pm

What a great idea,,,setting the goal and keeping the overall time and goal plotted will help me I am sure I will be setting one up, thanks for the great info!
Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.
Lucy
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby sheri1103 » December 9th, 2006, 5:16 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you to each of you who posted a reply!!
I just came home from shopping and was trying to do a head trip on myself about regaining the weight. I sing at Church and want to get something nice to wear for Xmas services. I have a lot of nice things, they just don't fit .... yet....but they did last year. So you get my drift.
Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemy!
But I am doing better and nothing I have felt or said today has swayed me from my plans.

I did do something before I started M/F that has helped. I did a self study on why I resort to food as a source of comfort or as a reward. It really has me focused. So when the urge to nibble comes along and I am not hungry, I am learning just what it is going on.

You guys are absolutely awesome. I am going to print some of these posts and tape them to my pantry door beside all my M/F stuff.

Sheri
:christmasbar:
sheri1103
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Lucy » December 9th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Just don't give up...use the forum, there is wisdom in them there hills.
Discipline is the art of choosing between what you want now, and what you want the most.
Lucy
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby bikipatra » December 9th, 2006, 6:01 pm

That Fitday sounds like a good idea. Especially for a daily weigher like me with just a touch of OCD. Thanks!
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » December 10th, 2006, 6:51 pm

Hi Sheri,

Your first-week loss was extrordinary! Like the others said, a big change for your body, it might fight you for a couple of weeks, then you'll settle into a weekly loss.

I think it's really good that you're plotting your triggers. Remember your water too!

Also, high-stress times tend to cause my body to hang onto weight, and not getting enough rest screws me up too.

Just remember, we are doing this in a healthy way. Don't get frustrated, lean on us if you need us, just give it a REAL chance, when this month is over and you've been compliant, Medifast will show you what it can do!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby JuliaMejia » December 11th, 2006, 1:43 am

Sheri, that first week was AMAZING! Think of this though, perhaps you cleaned out your GI system really thoroughly and that was a bit of it. Perhaps dehydrated. Could it be that you've had any swelling tis week from bullion? Menstrual coming up? Maybe that was a lot for your body to handle at once and it's just taking a moment to deicde if it's safe to lose. Don't worry, the sccale will budge! There is a number of things that can play on the weight. If it helps have someone hide your scale this next week (embarrassing as that sounds lol - I have done that) Weighing OCD like and not seeing what I want on the scale for all the sacrifices Im making (NOT EATING WHAT I WANT) makes me cheat! Darnit this is 3 days over and they have not been nearly as bad as before when I was stressd from my job! That can make it so much harder.

I think too that for me, when Im eyeing the food sitting on the counter, hot in the pan - that someone has cooked in front of me HOW DARE THEY LOL...I just whip up a shake even if it's only been an hour and a half and I get outta there! I have horrible willpower and I think eating problems due to not having food as a child, it's compulsive! Im just removing temptation. I bought a lot of cereal, canned soups, fruit - things my kids can just nuke if I can't cook (they oldest are 11-11-13).

I hope and pray to continue with medifast. I dont wanna cheat or give up!

Sheri do you have a friend you can call when you feel weak?

Today I called one of my kids in the kitchen and said get that food out of my face, Im starving...and I made the MF chili. Having the kids to also be there with me in that moment of temporary insanity can help me to stop myself. I know Im crazy, but Im trying!

Hang in there Sheri, I bet this next week, you will jump right over this hurdle and WOW ur already dropping your BMI, have you checked?
May 1st 2006...Highest Weight 265...

Started Medifast December 8th, 06 Weight = 236.8 :(

JuliaMejia
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby bikipatra » December 11th, 2006, 2:39 am

Medifast works but it doesn't always work the way we want it to or on our time schedule. It took me 19 days to lose 10 pounds. On a whim I just checked my old posts from the first time I tried Medifast a year and a half ago. I lost 9 pounds in FOUR days, the first SIX the very first 24 hours. I was really hoping for those results again. I didn't get them. But I am still on the program, working it to the best of my ability. Our bodies change. We do or we don't retain water. Our metabolisms shift. There are no easy answers. I know if you do your very best the your weight will continue to go down.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Return to The Weight Room