Is it too soon to be thinking about the holidays ?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Is it too soon to be thinking about the holidays ?

Postby mytime » June 30th, 2005, 9:36 pm

I am so neurotic. Is it too soon to be thinking about the holidays ? I am from an Italian family and my mother will cook for three or four days - out of respect I am not reporting the menu but it is from scratch and very much a family tradition that we all stand in the kitchen with my mom and cook - help etc. It is social and food - the worst. I have a LOOOONG way to go and will be on program for the holidays. I was wondering what people thought about my staying on program and then having the meals when I am on maintenance ? You know like Thanksgiving in February and then Christmas in April ? I must have missed a supplement today - I can't believe I am even writing this. But I do remember someone kindly writing to me, " If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." Hope everyone is well. Mytime
Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Walks262 » July 1st, 2005, 3:23 pm

Mytime,

Planning ahead is a good thing. That said, it is probably too early to make specific plans for the November - December holidays. By then you are going to be a new woman. You will have lost all kinds of weight and you will have had success dealing with what I call "roadblocks." And you will know better how to plan.

Right now I would think about the roadblocks you can see ahead in the next few days and weeks. I think of a roadblock as anything that will get in the way of you meeting your goal. It could be the meal you cook for your family, the 4th of July picnic, a good "friend" that wants to out to lunch with her, those cookies singing up on the high shelf in the kitchen, a business trip, etc, etc. Work out how you are going to deal with those situations now.

If you must look think ahead to The Holidays, then I can suggest a couple of things. Go back to last year on this forum and see what strategies others used. You could plan new traditions for your family, eg, you make and contribute the biggest, healthiest salad. [For a 4th of July party this weekend, I am bringing a salad that I can eat, others will enjoy it and very few will notice that I am not eating any of the Brats or sweets.] Or, I think Nancy has a method that goes something like this: if you go to a party/food fest decide on 3 things you will taste, have only one tablespoon of each. Or, maybe you will determine that you can take a MF break and "practice maitenance:" can you eat normally forbidden food in a controlled manner, be prepared for a slow down in the weight loss or even a gain and then go right back to being MF compliant?

So, it is probably too soon for figure out just what you should do. Enjoy your successes in the meantime and know that you will come up with your strategy when the time comes.

Good luck
Walks262

204.5/150/147, then, 142
Walks262
Trusted Member - #50 Club

Postby mytime » July 1st, 2005, 9:09 pm

Walks - thank you so much for your reply ! I am taking it day by day and at the end of day 7 am happy to report the hunger is much less. I am excited to post my first weigh in tomorrow and am so happy to have MF and people like yourself in my life. I look forward to taking this journey together and watching everyone as we change our lives. Mytime
Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Return to The Weight Room