How do you get through the holidays

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

How do you get through the holidays

Postby Claudia » October 31st, 2004, 4:53 am

Hi everyone, Got my first shipment of medifast a few months ago. Started and stopped, but would like to make a commitment to myself to do this. Have had alot of stress in my life and used that as an excuse to let things go. Anyway, can anyone give me advice on how to get through special occasions and holidays without going off Medifast. Am anticipating Thanksgiving already. How can I stay on program without giving in to all the goodies? Please help. Thank you.
Claudia

Postby fedup » November 1st, 2004, 11:35 am

Hi Claudia! I think you have to think of the big picture... there will be other holidays, but for me it was kinda "now or never" when it came to doing this. I want it too much to keep putting my life on hold. THere's always social events and occassions all year, and the holdiays are the worst for that, but sacrificing a little now can trade off for a better lifetime of living without constantly "dieting" and obsessing about food. Some of the others who've been on MF through the holidays will surely give you some good advice! (I would post a lot too, I know it helps me!)
Christy 5'5" age-34
Fresh start: Sept. 15, 2005 (240/ 240/ 160)
"Time to 'release the butterfly' inside
fedup
Trusted Member

Thanksgiving qualms...

Postby gr8views » November 1st, 2004, 12:46 pm

I also share your concerns. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. My husband and I go to a local restaurant that has a holiday buffet that is to die for! I love doing that! (No cooking, no clean up and no leftovers!)

My doctor said it would be OK for me to go ahead and splurge that day as long as I go back on the plan the next day.

I'm not sure that is a good idea, though... Mike (and others) have talked about the benefits of 'not cheating' - not one time - in order to stay on target and on track.

Something I'll need to think about. I look forward to the advice that others (who have been through the holidays) will give! :|

Diane
Start Date: November 6, 2004

246/233/146??

Good choices = Progress!!
gr8views
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » November 1st, 2004, 1:02 pm

Read my past newsletters!

We will FOREVER be inundated with Grub.

:huh: Daily choose whatcha gonna do and then do it! :huh:

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels. I know! :yay:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Sylvia » November 1st, 2004, 1:04 pm

I will actually still be in transition this Thanksgiving. While that will mean I will be able to sample a few favorite dishes, I will not have carte blanche to eat everything in sight.

Doing this during holidays or other celebrations is not easy but it can be done! You just really need to decide that losing weight for good is more important than eating on one holiday.

I don't recommend binging for a day after being true to the plan for several weeks. Not only will you jeopardize your success but you are likely to be sick as can be!

If you are doing the modified plan, you can plan to have some turkey and veggies. If you are on the full fast, you can do the modified on T-giving (but probably need to build up to it or you could have stomach issues).

I am cooking for T-giving and plan to make a big salad and have a couple of different kinds of fresh veggies. I will have mashed and sweet potatoes but will make them in a healthy manner without added fat and confine myself to just a taste. Stuffing is my all time favorite and there's no way I like it that's healthy. I think I'm just not going to have any.

If the weather is nice (I'm in Houston so there's a good chance it will be), I will bike ride in the morning after putting the turkey in and go for a long walk after dinner. I'm looking forward to eating sensibly and to changing the focus of the day a bit so it's not only on eating.

I have to tell you that if I was still going to be in the weight loss phase then, I would not deviate. I would stick to my plan no matter how hard it seems. Looking back at the "sacrifices" I've made over the past 6 months, they were SO worth it. I mean I can't remember specifically any eating I was unable to do, but I see every day as I look in the mirror the benefits of having not stuffed my face all those times.

Stick to the plan - you will never regret it!
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Nancy » November 1st, 2004, 1:23 pm

Food is certainly a part of holiday gatherings but to me, the PEOPLE are more important than the grub.

When I was on the weight loss phase of my Medifast journey, I knew that those foods that I love so much were not going to suddenly become extinct and be eliminated from the face of the earth.

They would still be available next time, when I was ready.

I have stated this many times before but here we go - you can mess around and maybe eventually kinda sortta get to your goal or you can go the direct route... :goldprowl: get there and THEN mess around. :yay:

I chose the direct route. :redprowl:

I also choose when I wanna mess around and then I do it.

Because I can. :nana:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Crystal » November 1st, 2004, 3:01 pm

I agree with the others who have posted. For me, I see this as the last Holiday season I will have to feel bad about the way I look, embarrassed at the way I look in the pictures or video coverage... and last Thanksgiving/Christmas was the last holiday season I had to feel guilty about what I chose to eat because...This year is different!!! I should be 20-30 lbs skinnier by then, and I will feel NO GUILT because I am in control thanks to Medifast!!! I will be able to fully enjoy myself! And, unless the Good Lord comes before then, Thanksgiving and Christmas will come again next year (and if He does...who cares about food anyway!)

Crystal
Crystal
Crystal
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby SusannaRosannaDanna » November 1st, 2004, 3:27 pm

:D

I get through the holidays ANY WAY I CAN! LOL!

Seriously, I'm flexible! If it's going to be tough on me, I weasel out of it--if my family wants me there for pie and coffee, I show up for the coffee and conversation but pass on the pie. If I'm feeling strong and lean, I'll go for a holiday meal and stick with the lean/green choices and ice water.
As a last ditch effort to avoid without drawing lots of attention to myself, I fiddle around feeding my kids, cutting their food, filling drinks, and normally there is so much activity and noise, people don't notice that I never actually ate the mashed potatoes or rolls! LOL
Sometimes I have to be firmer than I like with my well-meaning mother. I am generally an easy-going person and am uncomfortable having to "put my foot down", so to speak, with my very meek (put persistent!) little mother.
You gotta do what you gotta do!
Started 8/2/2004
297/234/140
Next goal: 220!

Wow. That's all I know to say.
SusannaRosannaDanna
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby fedup » November 1st, 2004, 5:35 pm

And I just thought of something.... who says Thanksgiving has to be once a year! I know that's our traditional day, but aren't we thankful EVERY day? Why can't you make your own private little Thanksgiving event when the time is right for you. After all, when you've reached your goal, that'll be one more thing to be thankful for... surely you could celebrate that with family and friends, or even just those very close to you. Make a smaller version of the "feast" including your particular favorites, and include physical activities as part of the day too. (A family game of ball or catch??) You can have your own special day! (I know it's not 'the same' but could be pretty cool.) We'll call it our "VF" day-- (victory over fat)-- celebration! ;)
Christy 5'5" age-34
Fresh start: Sept. 15, 2005 (240/ 240/ 160)
"Time to 'release the butterfly' inside
fedup
Trusted Member

Postby Nancy » November 1st, 2004, 6:01 pm

Great ideas and even greater attitudes!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » November 2nd, 2004, 12:30 am

I'm hoping these 5 little words will get me through the holidays:

One shake at a time...

Camille :toast:
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot

Postby Nancy » November 2nd, 2004, 8:39 am

They will, Little Darlin', they will.

Hey! When are you starting transition? :huh:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » November 2nd, 2004, 6:11 pm

Aloha LW with the very tanned hide,

Starting transition as soon as I 86 these 4 pounds I THINK. I'll probably go to the doctor to get some blood tests etc. first and see if my scale is the same as his. If mine is off, I may have to lose a few more. Keeping my fingers (and eyes) crossed that my scale is accurate.

Camille
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
hawaiiwhatnot

Postby explorthis » November 2nd, 2004, 7:25 pm

Starting transition as soon as I 86 these 4 pounds

WOWOW Camille, 4 pounds to go... Just seems like yesterday you joined up, and your about 70 pounds done FOREVER...

Could not happen to a more deserving wonderful person than you!!!

WOWOWOW... I can't wait till you hit it.

Maybe we need U/Tim to create a new "DID IT" club, or something catchy, or a new animated .gif star?!?!?! U/T?

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » November 2nd, 2004, 11:21 pm

There you go again Mike, making me feel like it's my birthday! I'm gonna become a spoiled brat if I don't watch it! Thanks my good buddy. You deserve SUPER BIG kudos too BTW!!!!

It seems like it to me too that I just started MF. At this rate it'll be Christmas next week! AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Camille
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
hawaiiwhatnot

Next

Return to Weight Loss