Eating on Holidays

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Eating on Holidays

Postby Guest » October 7th, 2005, 11:44 am

Hello everyone,

I'm considering doing the Medifast plan. I'm a wife and mother of two and I've struggled with weight most of my life. I did at one point, after my daughter turned 3 started losing weight again. I did this with a combination of Phentermine and Atkins and I lost 40#'s. Well...soon after losing all that weight I found I was carrying child #2. My precious son who just turned a year old 9/16. So I'm here at this aweful place in my life once again. I DO not want to try presription drugs anymore...I'm sick of pills! I want to do this the healthy way and I've decided to order my starter kit next week.

Now to my question...How do you deal with the holiday dinners? On Thanksgiving are we only allowed to eat a few slices of turkey and maybe make a side salad? Would that be considered the L&G for the day :?:

Postby Gwenski » October 7th, 2005, 2:38 pm

Welcome back to a place where the scale will go down!

You Holiday question is something that I think puts the fear of the gaining weight into our heads. YUCKY!

So, at the holiday table if you have 7 ounces of turkey and then your cooked veggies or salad you will have completed your Lean&Green for the day.

I did purchase and read the "Sucess In A Shaker Jar" book that Medifast sells and it has something about choosing your three favorite things that are at the table and having ONE TEASPOON taste for a total of THREE TEASPOONS. Let me tell you the fantasies I have had on what three things I could pick or one thing I would choose.

In the end, I stopped dreaming because my fear was that three tiny tastes would lead me astray and I would go crazy and keep opening my mouth and inserting things that I shouldn't PLUS stopping the ketosis. Managed through my B-day and told my Dad it was cool to make me my Grandma's favorite apple pie but I wouldn't be sampling it. He looked shocked and asked me why I didn't want my three teaspoons......

What can I say? Food will still be around after I get to my goal and why tempt fate and play with fire?? Part of choosing to do this is to remove yourself from food and force you to seek other non-food ways to deal with whatever demons/issues we have.

Personally, I want to feel good and fit into non-plus size clothes and walk into Victoria's Secret and not feel like a beached whale and ride roller coasters without two teen smirking as they try to get the safety bar on me.............I want those things more than food.

It is your choice how you want to deal with special occasions and holidays but I have found that planning ahead and being prepared has been sucessful. Being with your family and friends is the joy of the season anyhow -- well, that and some presents too!!!!

Sorry for babbling at you - hope it helped some?!? Like all things, you will find what works best for you...you'll be great!
Gwenski

Began July 6, 2005 & Originally lost 131.19#'s
New Start Date: November 8, 2008
Gwenski
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Eating

Postby Jan » October 7th, 2005, 3:11 pm

Hi Gwenski,
Your post was terriffic!! :D The Holidays are difficult. ;) They center soooo much around eating. I think it is very important to keep our goals in mind. I too am afraid of having just a little because I know on some of my favorites I would be off and running (or stuffing) before I knew it. :twisted: You know it takes a few minutes for the stomach to co-operate with the brain -- by then it would be toooooo late for me :?

I think planning ahead is your best secret weapon. Think about what you will eat and stick to it. You can have turkey and some veggies. Eat slowly so your brain and stomach will co-operate a little better. Plus, drink water and more water. Takes up lots of space that you could stuff with other things. Think of your program as a medical program. You wouldn't be tempted to change around your medications because it's Thanksgiving and don't change around your program.
Remember Thanksgiving comes around every year. It's really the people that are the most important part anyway. And, you'll get to be with them and enjoy no matter what you eat. So save a few things for next year. Those food items will appear again and, most likely you've tasted them in the past so know what they taste like anyway. YOu will be able to have them again.
Remember sometimes we remember things to be much much better than they really are. You'll do fine.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby beau4ever » November 21st, 2005, 3:39 pm

Hi , I had lost alot of weight long ago. I saved myself from all that temptation on holiday dinners w/family by eating my food that was on plan before everyone else. When they were ready to eat their meal, i got up and started to do cleanup in the kitchen. It kept me from looking at all that food i loved so much. and avoided temptation. Later i would have a cup of cofee with something that was on plan, or bought the sugar free swiss mocha coffee / or choc cofee that you just have to add water to. That helped with my sweet tooth . I had lost close to 100 =lbs backthen. Now about 20 years later i am up about 60 lbs and i am on week 2 ofMF. Not sure what i lost so far. Just weight myself at work,so i'll take it from here. :D
beau4ever

Return to The Weight Room