Eating healthy around others eating junk food

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Eating healthy around others eating junk food

Postby Karli » September 25th, 2006, 7:52 am

Here is something that I feel is a bit of a dilemma for me. I have noticed that when I choose to eat healthy in front of others who are not choosing this, it makes them more self-conscious sometimes, and I don't want to do that. I don't want them to feel as though I am looking at them and judging them, because I am not.

Last night when I went to a pizza bistro with hubby and some friends, I chose to eat a L/G while they had pizza and beer. I was sitting next to the woman of the other couple and as she ate her first slice she said "I know it's so bad for me, but is soooo good." It is like she had to qualify it to me since I wasn't eating any.

(just a side note, I have opinions about food that is considered "bad for you" too. I think it's quite okay in moderation (and in balance for the individual). In her case, she is in quite good shape and doesn't need to convince me that she is making good choices in her life, whether she eats pizza or not).

Sometimes I feel like I need to eat what others are eating so they don't feel bad or self-conscious about their own choices. I don't like people to feel uncomfortable around me; I want them to feel extremely comfortable around me.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Karli
Karli
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Re: Eating healthy around others eating junk food

Postby Serendipity » September 25th, 2006, 8:16 am

Karli wrote:Sometimes I feel like I need to eat what others are eating so they don't feel bad or self-conscious about their own choices. I don't like people to feel uncomfortable around me; I want them to feel extremely comfortable around me.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Karli

Ok, Karli, you asked for it, lol.

Like all of our mother's used to say......if she jumped off a cliff, would you follow her just so she wouldn't feel alone? Sometime you need to take a stand for your own good. It's not selfish. It's what is right for you.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » September 25th, 2006, 9:01 am

....you may even plant the seed in them to choose a healthier path for them and their families.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby DogMa » September 25th, 2006, 9:48 am

And if someone says something like that to you, why not just say "You don't need to justify that to me. I look forward to being able to enjoy foods like pizza again, too."

Or even just say there's nothing wrong with pizza, but you just don't feel like having that tonight.

Just as she shouldn't feel guilty or feel like she has to justify her food choices to you, you shouldn't have to feel guilty or justify YOUR choices to anyone, either. (And it sounds like no one felt all THAT uncomfortable, since they went ahead and ate it.)
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Sarya » September 25th, 2006, 12:20 pm

I like Dogma's response. Eating pizza isn't bad for you. Eating an ENTIRE pizza is bad for you. Everything in moderation. Heck in some locations around the world breathing is bad for you, but no one brings it up.

The problem is inside her, not you. She sees pizza as a bad food and when you decide not to partake in it it brings her thoughts about pizza to the forefront. I never look at pizza as a bad food. I look at it as one of my favorite foods that unfortunately will derail my weight loss when I eat it.
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby ascicles » September 27th, 2006, 8:09 am

CONFORMIST!
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby hulagirlfromhawaii » September 27th, 2006, 5:43 pm

Oh girl! You sound like me! But you know what, that's what got me 50 pounds over weight!!!! I needed to get over that way of thinking quick!
And you know what, your friends will get over it, and if they are truly your friends, they will respect you and support you in what you are trying to accomplish.

You are doing great, keep your head up and keep shakin'! :mrgreen:
Kanani

165/146.5/125
hulagirlfromhawaii
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Serendipity » September 27th, 2006, 8:18 pm

ascicles wrote:CONFORMIST!

I miss your pithy posts, manly. Don't be a stranger.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

Return to What's Shakin'